Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UM submits 45 page motion to dismiss NCAA case
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
UM submits 45 page motion to dismiss NCAA case
See a story here. I hope the NCAA gets the living daylights beat out of them.
04-05-2013 01:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: UM submits 45 page motion to dismiss NCAA case
(04-05-2013 01:09 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  See a story here. I hope the NCAA gets the living daylights beat out of them.

+100
04-05-2013 01:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
I'd be willing to bet that Miami has already fulfilled any sanctions at the NCAA will try to dish out.
04-05-2013 02:23 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-05-2013 02:23 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I'd be willing to bet that Miami has already fulfilled any sanctions at the NCAA will try to dish out.

You're absolutely damn right. If they do anything over what's already been done, the NCAA should be paying us a lot of money after they lose in court. Obviously I am extremely heated in my dislike for the NCAA after what they've done, but still - the stuff we've done (two bowl bans AND a champ game berth gone along with scholarship reductions) is plenty enough.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 12:48 AM by Ole Blue.)
04-07-2013 12:47 AM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Well if this goes thru and Miami is hit with time served motion then I would hveto think anyone associated with the investigation ( assitant coaches etc ) will be exempt to any and all ramifications as well. I hope they pull this off even though the NC2A. Has scrrwwed this whole investigation up they should at least admit to their mistakes and dismiss all charges across the board due to negligence ion the NC2A 's behalf.
04-07-2013 11:39 AM
Gopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cards
im hopin that miami wins its case versus NCAA and coach hurtt rides miamis coattails and comes back a free man
04-07-2013 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Ragu Offline
All American

I Root For: FAU/FSU
It's a joke that Miami is going to get away with this because the NCAA f'd up parts of it. It is even a bigger joke that their fanbase is acting like this means Miami is innocent and didn't do the crimes. This is one of the biggest rogue programs in the NCAA and they damn sure did the stuff mentioned. They are getting away with it because the NCAA overstepped their jurisdiction and conducted their research in the wrong manner. Let's not confuse that with Miami actually being innocent here.
04-07-2013 03:55 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(04-07-2013 03:55 PM)Ragu Wrote:  It's a joke that Miami is going to get away with this because the NCAA f'd up parts of it. It is even a bigger joke that their fanbase is acting like this means Miami is innocent and didn't do the crimes. This is one of the biggest rogue programs in the NCAA and they damn sure did the stuff mentioned. They are getting away with it because the NCAA overstepped their jurisdiction and conducted their research in the wrong manner. Let's not confuse that with Miami actually being innocent here.

Yup. Most of the time people b*tch that the NCAA doesn't do enough. But now the NCAA used tactics that don't seem unscrupulous to me AT ALL (seemingly legal in a courtroom) but are apparently outside the NCAA's guidelines and people are hoping a school gets off.

Miami, like all programs, should have sanctions that are commensurate with the violations they committed.
04-07-2013 04:00 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
This reminds me of a botched murder investigation where the only charges that are actually found guilty is tax evasion. Miami should be wiping the sweat off of their foreheads rather than being on the offensive. They're getting slapped on the wrist because the NCAA is pretty much worthless and can't conduct their own investigations.
04-07-2013 05:00 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(04-07-2013 03:55 PM)Ragu Wrote:  It's a joke that Miami is going to get away with this because the NCAA f'd up parts of it. It is even a bigger joke that their fanbase is acting like this means Miami is innocent and didn't do the crimes. This is one of the biggest rogue programs in the NCAA and they damn sure did the stuff mentioned. They are getting away with it because the NCAA overstepped their jurisdiction and conducted their research in the wrong manner. Let's not confuse that with Miami actually being innocent here.

Can't disagree with that. I guess the things I have a problem with are

(1) it took WAY too long - they should be finished w/ probation by now, but the NCAA hasn't even handed down a ruling yet!?! That's like keeping someone in jail for 2 years awaiting his sentence and then telling him his 2 years begins today - that isn't fair the other way.

(2) Oregon cheated as bad as Miami, and UNC and Auburn probably cheated worse, yet the NCAA only seems interested in punishing the 'Canes. It just seems like favoritism within the NCAA, IMO.

As you point out, that doesn't mean Miami is innocent, however.
04-07-2013 08:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
UM was in it deep, and dirty. The NCAA screwed up bad, and that will be to UM's advantage. But don't come off sounding like you were wronged. The NCAA simply cheated to catch the cheaters. Both sides deserve the death penalty.
04-07-2013 09:52 PM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

NCAA tells Miami to STFU.

"From the enforcement's staff perspective the motion to dismiss by the institution and involved individuals are attempts to deflect attention from the significant allegations that remain in the case."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...llegations
04-07-2013 10:30 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

Don't worry, I'm sure Nevin Shapiro will come up with more stories to help the NCAA again. I swear, it seems like everyone has a vendetta against UM. I wonder when the cheating allegations will come against Alabama, Oregon, LSU, and the like, or if they'll even ever come.

And the "enforcement staff" are the people who screwed the investigation up. I guess they'll try to cover up their $#!& that they left behind. No doubt UM had violations but seriously, when is it OK to use a convicted criminal as your main witness with legally immoral investigative tactics?

Tell me how it's okay to have a con man tell a story twice then claim it's absolute truth.
04-08-2013 11:06 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(04-07-2013 08:53 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

(1) it took WAY too long - they should be finished w/ probation by now, but the NCAA hasn't even handed down a ruling yet!?! That's like keeping someone in jail for 2 years awaiting his sentence and then telling him his 2 years begins today - that isn't fair the other way.

(2) Oregon cheated as bad as Miami, and UNC and Auburn probably cheated worse, yet the NCAA only seems interested in punishing the 'Canes. It just seems like favoritism within the NCAA, IMO.

The Canes are private. Oregon, Auburn, and UNC are public. Public schools get off (PSU) and private schools get destroyed (SMU).

**Yes, I know PSU is "state-related," but that's just another way of saying "underfunded and won't cooperate with investigations."**
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 01:11 PM by nzmorange.)
04-11-2013 01:06 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-11-2013 01:06 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(04-07-2013 08:53 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

The Canes are private. Oregon, Auburn, and UNC are public. Public schools get off (PSU) and private schools get destroyed (SMU).

**Yes, I know PSU is "state-related," but that's just another way of saying "underfunded and won't cooperate with investigations."**

You're absolutely correct.
04-11-2013 07:35 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

How did Penn State "get off"?
04-11-2013 11:44 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2013 11:44 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  How did Penn State "get off"?

How did they not?

Name one penalty that was levied against them with serious teeth, given the severity of the offense. It's all window dressing.

Example:
PENALTY: They were fined something like $65 million over 4-5 years, and that looks like a substantial penalty.
TRUTH: PSU FB still makes more than the vast majority of BCS FB programs, even after the fine is taken out of their profits. Furthermore, the fine only represents a minor fraction of the school's financial gains that were the result of brushing the shandal under the rug. To put things in perspective, they could pay the ENTIRE fine in one year and still make more than many programs that year.
CONCLUSION: It's completely ineffective and a glorified slap on the wrist.

Pretty much every element of their penalty follows a similar path. Compare that to SMU's death penalty, then compare the offenses, and then tell me that PSU didn't get off.
04-12-2013 04:44 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

They got a 4 year bowl ban. No team is getting the death penalty anymore. That is hardly getting off.
04-12-2013 08:18 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-12-2013 08:18 AM)Ragu Wrote:  They got a 4 year bowl ban. No team is getting the death penalty anymore. That is hardly getting off.

A 4 year bowl ban? That's a huge penalty to you? OSU is actually better during the bowl ban. They went undefeated last year.

Anyway, if you think a 4 year bowl ban is a sufficient punishment for what PSU did, then we have irreconcilable differences.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 08:52 AM by nzmorange.)
04-12-2013 08:47 AM
Ragu Offline
All American

Well Syracuse did some of the same things but got hit with nothing. So beggars can't be choosers.
04-12-2013 09:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.