Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Help Wanted: Archrival
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Help Wanted: Archrival
Due to recent changes in the college athletics industry, a major eastern university has an immediate opening for the position of Archrival. The preferred candidate should possess the following qualifications:

1) Commitment to successful football and men's basketball programs;
2) A rabid fanbase;
3) Openings on future schedules for one football and one to two men's college basketball games per year.

Previous playing history against the university a plus.

The position has a flexible start date: either the 2013-14 or 2014-15 academic year would be acceptable.

Please direct all responses, including a cover letter and two references, to Dr. Daryl Gross, Syracuse, NY 13244.
04-09-2013 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

RE: Help Wanted: Archrival
I'm looking at BC, UL, and Pitt.
04-09-2013 07:27 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
I think he is talking about out of conference
04-09-2013 07:48 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2013 07:48 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  I think he is talking about out of conference

In conference or OOC. As long as the qualifications can be satisfied.
04-09-2013 08:28 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(04-09-2013 08:28 PM)orangefan Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 07:48 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  I think he is talking about out of conference

In conference, most of the good basketball schools suck at football and most of the good football schools suck as basketball. FSU won the Men's tourney last year but I think it's more likely you'd have to be paired with Pitt (improve in football) or Louisville. You'll only have 1 team in conference that you play every year home and away in basketball. So, ask your president to request Louisville or Pitt as a permanent basketball rival, since you'll play both in football.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 08:45 PM by ChrisLords.)
04-09-2013 08:44 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
In conference: BC, Pitt, Miami (one way), and Notre Dame (one way)
OOC: PSU and WVU
04-09-2013 08:56 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2013 08:44 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

In conference, most of the good basketball schools suck at football and most of the good football schools suck as basketball. FSU won the Men's tourney last year but I think it's more likely you'd have to be paired with Pitt (improve in football) or Louisville. You'll only have 1 team in conference that you play every year home and away in basketball. So, ask your president to request Louisville or Pitt as a permanent basketball rival, since you'll play both in football.

I'm pretty sure our bball partners are Pitt and BC which makes 1,000x more sense.

UL is very good in both sports, but the school is too different and too far away to every really be Syracuse's rival.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 08:58 PM by nzmorange.)
04-09-2013 08:57 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(04-09-2013 08:57 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

I'm pretty sure our bball partners are Pitt and BC which makes 1,000x more sense.

UL is very good in both sports, but the school is too different and too far away to every really be Syracuse's rival.

I think the Louisville/SU rivalry can become huge. We have had some great games on the gridiron and on the court.
04-09-2013 09:16 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(04-09-2013 07:03 PM)orangefan Wrote:  Due to recent changes in the college athletics industry, a major eastern university has an immediate opening for the position of Archrival. The preferred candidate should possess the following qualifications:

1) Commitment to successful football and men's basketball programs;
2) A rabid fanbase;
3) Openings on future schedules for one football and one to two men's college basketball games per year.

Previous playing history against the university a plus.

The position has a flexible start date: either the 2013-14 or 2014-15 academic year would be acceptable.

Please direct all responses, including a cover letter and two references, to Dr. Daryl Gross, Syracuse, NY 13244.

Without trying to sound like a tree-hugging hippie; I think you have to let it come organically. Pitt & BC are our oldest rivals, but there is something about that damn red bird just to our southwest...
04-09-2013 09:26 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2013 08:57 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  I'm pretty sure our bball partners are Pitt and BC which makes 1,000x more sense.

I'm pretty sure you're only going to have 1 permanent partner in basketball. There were articles stating such when Pitt and Cuse agreed to join and adding ND reduces the number of possible home-away pairings. So I don't see why they would suddenly go to 2 permanent partners. It had to do with getting the new members more acclimated to the league.
04-09-2013 09:27 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I disagree. I think they're considered a pretty big rival currently. In basketball the reasons are pretty obvious. But looking at football...

'Cuse - 'Ville series

12 Games (6-6)

While there have been a few blowouts...

First meeting 1985, Syracuse thrashed Louisville 48-0.
Most recent meeting 2012, Syracuse destroyed Louisville 45-26.
In 2005, Louisville gave Syracuse a thrashing 41-17.

Most of the meetings have been damn close. In fact the average scores for each team are - 23.9 'Cuse and 22.3 'Ville.

One possession games...

In 2010 Louisville defeated Syracuse 28-20.
In 2009 Louisville defeated Syracuse 10-9.
In 2008 Syracuse defeated Louisville 28-21.
In 2007 Syracuse defeated Louisville 38-35.
In 2003 Syracuse defeated Louisville 15-9.

This is a series that has potential.
04-09-2013 09:28 PM
Advertisement

WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

In order to be a rival each team has to have a real shot at beating the other. Louisville and Pitt fit this bill. BC does not. BC will be to us what they were to us in the BE. An annoying little brother who occasional wins but for the most part catches a regular beat-down.

Given the fact that Duke and NC are the top two basketball schools and already have each other it is fairly likely that the next two best programs will be Syracuse and Louisville (in which ever order you wish to place them) and they will continue to grow their rivalry.

In regards to Pitt they really do nothing for this fan. They are a nice team to play and I like their fanbase .. I just don't see them as a rival.

I also think there is room for a 'Cuse / NC State rivalry. Both fan bases dislike each other already and it could grow into something bigger.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 10:06 PM by WNCOrange.)
04-09-2013 10:00 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Boston College satisfies a solid 1 of 3.

(You know it's destined to be BC right? NYC vs Boston ... etc.)
04-09-2013 10:01 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Syracuse and Louisville would be the Bomb. All fans would love the intense love , hate rivalry. I know My family is on board. We are a lot alike and leave it on the Court and Field.
04-09-2013 10:12 PM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
(04-09-2013 09:27 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I'm pretty sure you're only going to have 1 permanent partner in basketball. There were articles stating such when Pitt and Cuse agreed to join and adding ND reduces the number of possible home-away pairings. So I don't see why they would suddenly go to 2 permanent partners. It had to do with getting the new members more acclimated to the league.

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/100312aae.html
04-09-2013 10:40 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2013 09:28 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  

I disagree. I think they're considered a pretty big rival currently. In basketball the reasons are pretty obvious. But looking at football...

'Cuse - 'Ville series

12 Games (6-6)

While there have been a few blowouts...

First meeting 1985, Syracuse thrashed Louisville 48-0.
Most recent meeting 2012, Syracuse destroyed Louisville 45-26.
In 2005, Louisville gave Syracuse a thrashing 41-17.

Most of the meetings have been damn close. In fact the average scores for each team are - 23.9 'Cuse and 22.3 'Ville.

One possession games...

In 2010 Louisville defeated Syracuse 28-20.
In 2009 Louisville defeated Syracuse 10-9.
In 2008 Syracuse defeated Louisville 28-21.
In 2007 Syracuse defeated Louisville 38-35.
In 2003 Syracuse defeated Louisville 15-9.

This is a series that has potential.

I don't think that they are considered a big rival right now. UCONN, Georgetown, BC, Pitt, 'Nova, and WVU are all bigger, so they are 7th at best, and that's not even including PSU (which is a bigger football game than UL) and Miami (which used to be a pretty big mostly one-way rivalry). I don't dispute that UL fields good teams, that games are close, or that UL has excellent fan support. They do, they are, and they do. I just don't think that there is anything in common with the schools, and I think that's what is blocking any hope of a meaningful rivalry in the foreseeabel future.

At one time, both Yale and Alabama fielded elite teams (for many years), but they have never been rivals. The schools are just too different and they are too far apart.* I can see UC v UL, or UL v Memphis (if Memphis ever gets good at football), but I don't see UL v SU ever happening on a major scale. And no, that's not a shot at UL. I'm pretty sure the average UL fan would rather see UL beat a #15 UC in football and a #10 UC in basketball than a #15 SU in football and a #10 SU in basketball, assuming that UL, UC, and SU are all in the same conference again.

Think about it this way: who would you rather SU beat in a random year, Alabama or ND? The quality of the teams are comperable and both have similar levels of enthusiasm and elitness (if that's a word), but I would MUCH rather play and beat ND.

*Yes, I realize that SU isn't Yale, Louisville to Syracuse < New Haven to Tuscaloosa (sp?), and Yale and 'Bama were never in the same conference, but I think that my basic point still stands.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 10:57 PM by nzmorange.)
04-09-2013 10:50 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2013 10:40 PM)Schema Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 09:27 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I'm pretty sure you're only going to have 1 permanent partner in basketball. There were articles stating such when Pitt and Cuse agreed to join and adding ND reduces the number of possible home-away pairings. So I don't see why they would suddenly go to 2 permanent partners. It had to do with getting the new members more acclimated to the league.

That rings a bell now that you post it. I forgot about that and disagree with it. With so many schools we need to have as many rotating games as possible.
04-09-2013 10:54 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2013 10:54 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(04-09-2013 10:40 PM)Schema Wrote:  

That rings a bell now that you post it. I forgot about that and disagree with it. With so many schools we need to have as many rotating games as possible.

I'm actually all for it. I want to play BC and Pitt every year in everything as much as possible. I don't really care about the rest, except I would like to play Duke and UNC in basketball as much as possible, FSU, GT, VTech, Miami, and Clemson in football as much as possible, and UVA in lax as much as possible, but who doesn't? That's more based on the strength anfd history of the program, not an inherent desire to play the school.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 11:01 PM by nzmorange.)
04-09-2013 11:00 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

(04-09-2013 11:00 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  I'm actually all for it. I want to play BC and Pitt every year in everything as much as possible. I don't really care about the rest, except I would like to play Duke and UNC in basketball as much as possible, FSU, GT, VTech, Miami, and Clemson in football as much as possible, and UVA in lax as much as possible, but who doesn't? That's more based on the strength anfd history of the program, not an inherent desire to play the school.

I guess I don't like it because VT is paired up with 2 teams that have not been good in the RPI since VT joined the league. But then Miami won the ACC and UVA looks to build on their success this year, next year. As long as Miami can keep Jim LarraƱaga, and UVA can keep Tony Bennett, they should be both be good in most years. So really it's not so bad.

edit : And who am I to complain. Of the 3 schools involved the ones that will probably get screwed from an RPI standpoint are UVA and Miami for having to play Tech.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 11:23 PM by ChrisLords.)
04-09-2013 11:21 PM
ULdave Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Louisville and Syracuse are rivals, but they aren't nor will they be archrivals. I respect Syracuse but when I see a UK fan walking down the street I feel a primal impulse wanting me to punch him in the face.

Louisville and Syracuse will be strong rivals in the ACC, their match ups will be can't miss games. But so long as I respect them, it will be hard to ever view them as an archrival.
04-10-2013 12:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.