Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Athlon Sports ranks the college football head coaches for 2013
Florida State Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Florida State
Athlon Sports ranks the college football head coaches for 2013
Agree or disagree, just something to do during the off season.
FSU's Jimbo Fisher is #37

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-foot...aches-2013

If you just want the ACC Coaches go here

Have fun!!
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 10:33 AM by Florida State.)
04-11-2013 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: Athlon Sports ranks the college football head coaches for 2013
(04-11-2013 10:32 AM)Florida State Wrote:  Agree or disagree, just something to do during the off season.
FSU's Jimbo Fisher is #37

If you just want the ACC Coaches go here

Have fun!!

Looking at some of the coaches ranked ahead of the FSU coach, and some of the other rankings, I would think that the guy who put this ranking together did so after a night of boozing.
04-11-2013 11:59 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
18. Charlie Strong, Louisville
Record at Louisville: 25-14 (2010-present)
Record at Florida: 0-1 (2004 Peach Bowl)
Overall Record: 25-15 (3 full years)

Strong had to wait a while for his first head coaching gig, but the Arkansas native has shown in just three full seasons he is one of the top 25 coaches in the nation. After stops as an assistant at Florida, Ole Miss, Notre Dame and South Carolina, Strong was hired as Louisville’s head coach in 2010. He didn’t inherit a full cupboard from the previous coaching staff, so it was no surprise Strong went 7-6 in each of his first two years in Louisville. However, the Cardinals took flight in 2012, winning 11 games (including an impressive Sugar Bowl victory over Florida). Strong turned down overtures from other BCS programs and will be tough to pry away from Louisville. If the Cardinals finish in the top 10 as most expect in 2013, expect to see Strong’s name move even higher on the list of the nation’s best coaches.
04-11-2013 02:50 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Al Golden is #19. I approve. I'm really liking where things are going (finally...) with his coaching administration!!
04-11-2013 07:33 PM
Advertisement

Terps_N_Phoenix Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
Wow...not sure what to think about this. Randy Edsall is #9 in the ACC and #51 overall. That is about where I'd expect him in the ACC (maybe 1 spot lower), but the overall ranking is quite a bit higher than I expected. He getting to much credit for bringing UConn up from FCS and also all of the Terps injury woes?
04-11-2013 08:15 PM
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

I have no trouble with Strong's ranking, but I don't seriously think Franklin at Vandy should be ahead of him. I'm also wondering why Petrino's being given the benefit of the doubt. I think he deserves a middle-of-the-pack ranking until he proves he's not damaged goods. But I guess I don't begrudge WKU their moment in the sun.
04-11-2013 10:08 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(04-11-2013 10:08 PM)Cardinals Wrote:  I have no trouble with Strong's ranking, but I don't seriously think Franklin at Vandy should be ahead of him. I'm also wondering why Petrino's being given the benefit of the doubt. I think he deserves a middle-of-the-pack ranking until he proves he's not damaged goods. But I guess I don't begrudge WKU their moment in the sun.

TBH - I agree with Franklin's rating. He turned around a burning tire mound program into a competitive SEC team that's gone to bowl games consistently. I remember growing up when Vandy sucked. They don't suck anymore. I guess they're looking more about the coach's proven ability than anything, TBH
04-11-2013 11:49 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
I think Al Golden is getting credit for things that he hasn't done yet. They're expecting Miami to be back this year so they ranked him high. He also might be given a mulligan for Miami's sanctions. If that's not it, how is he ranked higher than Jimbo Fisher? Al is 13-11 at Miami and Jimbo is 31-10 and just won the ACC and a BCS bowl. Based on merit, I have to go with Jimbo.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 12:21 AM by ChrisLords.)
04-12-2013 12:21 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(04-11-2013 11:49 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 10:08 PM)Cardinals Wrote:  I have no trouble with Strong's ranking, but I don't seriously think Franklin at Vandy should be ahead of him. I'm also wondering why Petrino's being given the benefit of the doubt. I think he deserves a middle-of-the-pack ranking until he proves he's not damaged goods. But I guess I don't begrudge WKU their moment in the sun.

TBH - I agree with Franklin's rating. He turned around a burning tire mound program into a competitive SEC team that's gone to bowl games consistently. I remember growing up when Vandy sucked. They don't suck anymore. I guess they're looking more about the coach's proven ability than anything, TBH
That wasn't Franklin. That was what's his name that they got from Furman in the early 2000's. He was the first coach who lost the "we're Vandy, so we're going to lose, but it's OK, because they will need a job someday" mentality, and he is the one who first started recruiting and willing. Think Jay Cutler.

Franklin, who came in two coaches later, took a team on the upswing and continued the progression. However, he didn't turn anything around.
04-12-2013 04:49 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-12-2013 12:21 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I think Al Golden is getting credit for things that he hasn't done yet. They're expecting Miami to be back this year so they ranked him high. He also might be given a mulligan for Miami's sanctions. If that's not it, how is he ranked higher than Jimbo Fisher? Al is 13-11 at Miami and Jimbo is 31-10 and just won the ACC and a BCS bowl. Based on merit, I have to go with Jimbo.

They are giving Al Golden credit for making Temple not embarrassing. Jimbo took over FSU, which is an elite program. Amittedly FSU was down, but it is/was elite none the less. Jimbo's numebrs should look better. In about 5-7 years it will be apples to apples, but they're only looking at track record as a HC (see Schaffer's ranking). Until Al has time to recover from sanctions and fully implement his system, his work at Temple will be the dominant factor, and it's harder to win at Temple than FSU, so comparing records and bowl victories isn't fair.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 04:53 AM by nzmorange.)
04-12-2013 04:50 AM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2013 08:15 PM)Terps_N_Phoenix Wrote:  Wow...not sure what to think about this. Randy Edsall is #9 in the ACC and #51 overall. That is about where I'd expect him in the ACC (maybe 1 spot lower), but the overall ranking is quite a bit higher than I expected. He getting to much credit for bringing UConn up from FCS and also all of the Terps injury woes?

These rankings seem to be based off of the coach's established track record and not potential/probability of success, which is a little less quantitative, but much more accurate IMO. Edsal was very good at UCONN, given that UCONN moved from the FCS ranks uner his watch, given that CT is a small state with limited football talent and fan support, and given that UCONN facilities are terrible.*

*UCONN gets credit for having nice facilities, but that's misleading, becaus ethe location makes it all a moot point. The football stadium is 30 miles from campus.
04-12-2013 04:58 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-11-2013 02:50 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  18. Charlie Strong, Louisville
Record at Louisville: 25-14 (2010-present)
Record at Florida: 0-1 (2004 Peach Bowl)
Overall Record: 25-15 (3 full years)

Strong had to wait a while for his first head coaching gig, but the Arkansas native has shown in just three full seasons he is one of the top 25 coaches in the nation. After stops as an assistant at Florida, Ole Miss, Notre Dame and South Carolina, Strong was hired as Louisville’s head coach in 2010. He didn’t inherit a full cupboard from the previous coaching staff, so it was no surprise Strong went 7-6 in each of his first two years in Louisville. However, the Cardinals took flight in 2012, winning 11 games (including an impressive Sugar Bowl victory over Florida). Strong turned down overtures from other BCS programs and will be tough to pry away from Louisville. If the Cardinals finish in the top 10 as most expect in 2013, expect to see Strong’s name move even higher on the list of the nation’s best coaches.

If Strong can prove that he can maintain UL's level, then he is to 10 IMO.
04-12-2013 04:59 AM
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

(04-12-2013 12:21 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  I think Al Golden is getting credit for things that he hasn't done yet. They're expecting Miami to be back this year so they ranked him high. He also might be given a mulligan for Miami's sanctions. If that's not it, how is he ranked higher than Jimbo Fisher? Al is 13-11 at Miami and Jimbo is 31-10 and just won the ACC and a BCS bowl. Based on merit, I have to go with Jimbo.

I can't really argue with you, and maybe it wasn't fair of me to pick on Vandy. But I wonder if their turnaround would be so pronounced if it didn't occur at a time when 2012 opponents like Tennessee & Auburn weren't "rebuilding"?
04-12-2013 06:48 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Brian Kelly has won big everywhere he has been a head coach.

He was in three straight Division II national championship games at Grand Valley State, winning the last two.

He won a MAC championship at Central Michigan in this third year after taking over a very bad team.

He went 12-0 in the regular season in 2009 at Cincinnati and in 2012 at ND. Going undefeated at two schools within 4 years ain't easy.

He has taken two different schools to their football divison's national title game.

He went 34-6 at Cincinnati and is 28-11 at ND (Weis went 16-21 in the three years before Kelly arrived).

His total college head coaching record is 199-68-2. He is 81-33 in the FBS.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 08:13 AM by TerryD.)
04-12-2013 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.