Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Reactions to GOR Announcement
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Shy Reactions to GOR Announcement
I know there's another GOR thread, but it has been oh-so-gently transformed into a discussion of football divisional alignment. I, for one, am still interested in discussing the ACC's GOR agreement.

Yesterday I posted an Orlando Sentinel article with the reaction of FSU's president. So my inaugural post of this new thread will be the link to an interview between Eric Crawford (Louisville's most widely respected sports journalist) and Tom Jurich. (Sorry, I'm still a Louisville homer.)

http://www.wdrb.com/story/22047671/crawf...louisville

Quote:Q: So does this calm the waters nationally with the entire landscape?

JURICH: Well I know one thing, it calms the waters in Louisville. And that's all that matters. But I think so. There's not going to be many places to go to reach out to another school. So it's a great fit, and the great thing about it is that it keeps everybody regional. It could not be better for us, absolutely could not be better, because it's the most unbelievable fit. You know how much I like fit, and we are definitely a fit in this league.

What's clear from reading just about all the articles I've read thus far, is that this was a reactive move - similar to the Big 12's. And the reactions were to the rampant predictions of the ACC's downfall, most of them blatantly false, but so oft-repeated that they were taking the focus off the league itself. And so for that, I suppose, we need to thank idiots like The Dude. He and his ilk were so willing to make crap up that they actually helped make their own fantasies impossible.

If there's any strength in GOR agreements, it looks like ours is so ironclad as to expose the Big 12's as possibly leaky: The ACC's is for all three tiers, and it is accompanied by the same $50 million exit fee that UMD thought it could avoid paying.
04-23-2013 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

RE: Reactions to GOR Announcement
One of the nicer side effects to becoming an ACC school is the recent exposure we Louisville fans have had to David Teel in Virginia. What a great sports journalist. You compare the incredible competence of some local guys like Teel & Crawford to the bluster and opinionated swill of certain nationally known reporters, and you just scratch your head and wonder what makes the world work.

Anyway, here is a Teel article from yesterday.

Quote:The chatter was loud, it was incessant, and it was fueled by media, fans and rival leagues. No matter that it was shallow, ill-informed and just plain wrong. Only one event could silence the speculation: a grant of media rights.

He also includes comments from leaders around the league.
04-23-2013 09:59 AM
7fielder Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pittsburgh
(04-23-2013 09:52 AM)Cardinals Wrote:  I know there's another GOR thread, but it has been oh-so-gently transformed into a discussion of football divisional alignment. I, for one, am still interested in discussing the ACC's GOR agreement.

Yesterday I posted an Orlando Sentinel article with the reaction of FSU's president. So my inaugural post of this new thread will be the link to an interview between Eric Crawford (Louisville's most widely respected sports journalist) and Tom Jurich. (Sorry, I'm still a Louisville homer.)

http://www.wdrb.com/story/22047671/crawf...louisville

Quote:Q: So does this calm the waters nationally with the entire landscape?

JURICH: Well I know one thing, it calms the waters in Louisville. And that's all that matters. But I think so. There's not going to be many places to go to reach out to another school. So it's a great fit, and the great thing about it is that it keeps everybody regional. It could not be better for us, absolutely could not be better, because it's the most unbelievable fit. You know how much I like fit, and we are definitely a fit in this league.

What's clear from reading just about all the articles I've read thus far, is that this was a reactive move - similar to the Big 12's. And the reactions were to the rampant predictions of the ACC's downfall, most of them blatantly false, but so oft-repeated that they were taking the focus off the league itself. And so for that, I suppose, we need to thank idiots like The Dude. He and his ilk were so willing to make crap up that they actually helped make their own fantasies impossible.

If there's any strength in GOR agreements, it looks like ours is so ironclad as to expose the Big 12's as possibly leaky: The ACC's is for all three tiers, and it is accompanied by the same $50 million exit fee that UMD thought it could avoid paying.

So, in other words we can thank Greg Swaim, the Dude and Tuxedo Yoda for the ACC adopting a GOR?

[Image: schadenfreude_pic.jpg]
04-23-2013 11:51 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says

[Image: 155653-330-0.jpg]

Quote:Although Delany said the 16-team superconference format was also “an arbitrary number” that he wasn’t part of, the Big Ten was open to further expansion. One industry source told Sporting News in February if the Big Ten expanded further to destabilize the ACC, the SEC would counter by going after North Carolina and Duke —and therefore mortally wounding the ACC.

The ACC GoR "saved the game from eating itself."
04-23-2013 09:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cardinals Offline
Special Teams

Here's a very good analysis of the upcoming ACC spring meeting by David Teel. On the menu he says will be:
  • ACC Network (prospects are good, but still years away)
  • Bowl Partnerships
  • Basketball Tourney Venues
Link to article: Teel Time: Even with grant of rights, much work remains for ACC
04-24-2013 09:44 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
So glad this is all over...now the AD can handle the business side-(Bowls, Media Rights etc) and not having to worry about which schools are in which leagues.

As for us fans/alum...we can get back to focusing on the games and even recruiting...Thank God....04-cheers
04-24-2013 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.