Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting ACC Network talking points in SEC announcement yesterday (Link)
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Interesting ACC Network talking points in SEC announcement yesterday (Link)
My speculation is once the deal is ready, the ACC Network itself will be able to go up relatively quickly There won’t be years infrastructure development. Each time details are released on the SEC Network, we learn more about how the ACC has positioned itself ahead of time.

ACC SEC Network Talking Points
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 06:07 AM by CardinalJim.)
05-03-2013 04:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
RE: Interesting ACC Network talking points in SEC announcement yesterday (Link)
It kind of begs the question why the ACC didn't seriously look to start a network years ago.
05-03-2013 09:27 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

Why don't the ACC & SEC just merge to become one as a network??? This would give both conference more money than they know what to do with not to mention all the added coverage the network would receive. I am not saying that both confereces should merge as one, but do so as a network. It would be awesome IMO.
05-03-2013 09:52 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(05-03-2013 09:52 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  Why don't the ACC & SEC just merge to become one as a network??? This would give both conference more money than they know what to do with not to mention all the added coverage the network would receive. I am not saying that both confereces should merge as one, but do so as a network. It would be awesome IMO.

Because that'd be 29 teams sharing one network. Does the ACC make the exact same as the SEC or does the SEC make more? Is it the same per school or per conference? Are there regional broadcasts (TX/LA/AR/MO, MS/AL, FL, GA/SC, TN/KY, NC, VA/PA, NY/MA/IN) because it will be hard enough seeing your team's content with 15 members, but now with nearly 30 it'd be impossible.

I think it's a terrible idea. I'm not sure the money would be that much greater, either. I also think this ACC/SEC collaborative lovefest is a bit much and based on some ACC fans' dreams and not on fact or reality or any actual evidence up to this point.
05-04-2013 10:18 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

No surprise here.
The reality is ESPN put the SEC Network in Charlotte to cut start up costs for BOTH networks. ESPN is combining the networks whether haters want to accept it or not.
With a combined ACC / SEC endeavor ESPN controls the most popular college football areas in the country.

It's a fallacy to believe The ACC and SEC would ever merge. The ACC swallowed part of its ginormous ego just to invite Louisville. Do you really think The ACC would ever soil it's presteen image further by associating with a bunch of football factories like those in the Bubba infested SEC. It is however an even bigger fallacy to believe a business like ESPN would keep operations of two different leagues separate because a bunch of Internet haters that are still pining for the End of The ACC. It's not going to happen folks. ESPN loves The ACC. No matter how much the haters don't.
CJ
05-04-2013 10:46 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
I will say this again. I believe this has been ESPN's plan the whole time. Combine the best football conference (SEC) with the best basketball conference (ACC). In addition, ACC's signed a deal with ND. You don't think ESPN loved that?

Combine in this case doesn't mean merge. Combine in this case means control. You have two 14-team leagues full of juicy content for ESPN with enough left over to support two networks to make even more money.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 10:52 AM by jaminandjachin.)
05-04-2013 10:51 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-04-2013 10:51 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  I will say this again. I believe this has been ESPN's plan the whole time. Combine the best football conference (SEC) with the best basketball conference (ACC). In addition, ACC's signed a deal with ND. You don't think ESPN loved that?

Combine in this case doesn't mean merge. Combine in this case means control. You have two 14-team leagues full of juicy content for ESPN with enough left over to support two networks to make even more money.

I will say that it is in the best interest of both conferences and espn that there be a close working relationship between all involved. The southern half of the ACC has intrastate SEC rivalries that are already valuable and storied properties. The ACC northern corridor opens up exposure opportunity to the SEC that they simply do not have. As much as big east and to a lesser extent the ACC football product has been maligned, sec basketball is absolutely horrid and needs an across the board culture change. Aside from UK and a random Florida appearance it is no better than the Colonial and the early season OOC results prove it. Start to pepper in some decent ACC teams with regularity and those pathetic programs have something to sell their recruits and their fans.

I honestly think the B1G lost sight of the forest for the trees. It had all the momentum and the hype, the money, the network and the perception of market dominance. After plucking Nebraska from the Big 12 the world was theirs. Then they add a broke down Maryland and a never has been in Rutgers. I think their momentum has halted and they ultimately damaged their brand to an extent. Their last moves were not proactive power plays but picking low hanging fruit. When we look back on this era in college athletics realignment and the history is written I honestly believe the big winner will be the ACC. The demographics are in our favor as well as the geography.

Taking Rutgers and expecting New York to be theirs is rich and short sighted. Does the northeast perceive its college sports identity, its Big East identity, to be Rutgers? No. Now you have Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Notre Dame and Louisville in the ACC. Which group do you think resonates more in that region of the country?
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 11:49 AM by L-yes.)
05-04-2013 11:43 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(05-04-2013 10:46 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  No surprise here.
The reality is ESPN put the SEC Network in Charlotte to cut start up costs for BOTH networks. ESPN is combining the networks whether haters want to accept it or not.
With a combined ACC / SEC endeavor ESPN controls the most popular college football areas in the country.

ESPN owning and/or controlling these 2 conferences is one thing. I think bundling the two networks together if an ACC Network ever comes about makes a great deal of sense for ESPN. But that does not make it an ACC/SEC collaboration or entail any other direct scheduling or buddy-buddy arrangements between the two conferences. There's only a minor, indirect association at present with a few OOC rivalry games and potentially the bundling of the networks, none of which would've been orchestrated by the conferences themselves.

ESPN fattening its wallet is not one-in-the-same as the ACC and SEC collaborating.
05-04-2013 01:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.