New USA Today Budget info
Bookmark and Share
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
New USA Today Budget info
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/s.../finances/

89% of UNCC's budget is student fee's.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 04:32 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-08-2013 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

49RFootballNow Online
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: New USA Today Budget info
(05-08-2013 04:31 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/s.../finances/

Their numbers are wrong. I'm waiting to hear back from the Athletic Foundation on the real numbers.
05-08-2013 04:35 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
In FBS:

Texas is #1 with $163 million and Arkansas State is in last place with $15 million. That's almost a $150 million difference. EDIT: actually it's Louisiana-Monroe at $11 million. A $152 million. Wow

In the Gof5, UConn leads the way with $63 million and UNLV is #2 with $58 million. If I was a UNLV fan I would ask for a refund, horrible football and their basketball team has underachieved.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 05:17 PM by UTEPDallas.)
05-08-2013 04:46 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

Just for fun, here's the first and last place schools in their respective conferences:

Big XII
Texas $163 million
Iowa State $55 million

Big Ten
Ohio State $142 million
Rutgers $64 million

SEC
Alabama $124 million
Missouri $50 million

Pac-12
Oregon $94 million (although USC is #1 in the conference but since they're private they don't have to release any records)
Utah $40 million (they should be getting their full share of Pac-12 TV revenue starting this year)

ACC
Florida State $100 million
North Carolina State $59 million (probably Wake Forest or Boston College are in last place)

AAC
UConn $63 million
East Carolina $35 million (maybe Tulane would be in last place)

MWC
UNLV $58 million
Utah State $21 million

C-USA
Old Dominion $35 million
Louisiana Tech $18 million

MAC
UMass $29 million
Bowling Green $20 million

Sun Belt
New Mexico State $28 million
Louisiana-Monroe $11 million
05-08-2013 05:15 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-08-2013 04:35 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 04:31 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/s.../finances/

Their numbers are wrong. I'm waiting to hear back from the Athletic Foundation on the real numbers.

This is what was reported to the government, I find it believable. Your student fees from a from a few years ago was 80% before you even had a football team. Football is tough to support, and you guys are supporting it and getting no revenue at this point to help at all. I know I read several articles about ODU and their student fee's when they started. Still it's a pretty amazing stat. I think subsidies is a big indicator of the health of your athletic department.
05-08-2013 05:18 PM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
(05-08-2013 05:18 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 04:35 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  

This is what was reported to the government, I find it believable. Your student fees from a from a few years ago was 80% before you even had a football team. Football is tough to support, and you guys are supporting it and getting no revenue at this point to help at all. I know I read several articles about ODU and their student fee's when they started. Still it's a pretty amazing stat. I think subsidies is a big indicator of the health of your athletic department.

The reason the numbers are wrong is that if you look at the contributions, that site says our contributions dropped by $2.5 million when our contributions have actually risen quite a bit due to football. Minimum donation required for football.
05-08-2013 05:28 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

That's nice UTEPDallas, we maybe last in the AAC (Tulsa, Navy, Tulane??) but then you look at our student fee's subsides and see several of the schools in the AAC live more off their students.

UCF 40 million budget (55% student fees)
Houston 36 million budget (59% student fees)
ECU 35 million budget, (40% student fees)
ODU 35 million budget, (74% student fees)
Marshall 28 million budget (49% student fees)
UTEP 27 million budget (55% student fees)

I'd put the health of our budget and actual revenue up against most non BCS. Most of the new CUSA schools are funded by 70+% student fee's.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 05:40 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-08-2013 05:28 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

(05-08-2013 05:28 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  That's nice UTEPDallas, then you look at our students fee's subsides and see many of the schools in the AAC live more off their students.

UCF 40 million budget (55% student fees)
Houston 36 million budget (59% student fees)
ECU 35 million budget, (40% student fees)
ODU 35 million budget, (74% student fees)
Marshall 28 million budget (49% student fees)
UTEP 27 million budget (55% student fees)

I'd put the health of our budget and actual revenue up against most non BCS. Most of the new CUSA is funded 70+% student fee's.

The bigger question should be, if I'm a student at X or Y university and part of my students fees are going to subsidize the athletic department, am I getting a good return? 55% of UNLV's budget comes from student fees and I'm not seeing anything impressive in their most important program: basketball. And football is so bad that they have only been to one bowl since the MWC was formed in 1999. That's where I think the main problem is and UNLV is not alone in that regard, there's some schools from power conferences that are as bad or even worse as UNLV.

I would be concerned if UTEP's budget was over $40 million with nothing to show and the students subsidizing part of that budget. $27 million is a decent number with room to improve.
05-08-2013 05:38 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

The other thing that stands out is just the massive amounts of money the richest schools have. Why people really expect to compete with the top 40 in sports like football and basketball with the gap that exist is beyond me.

You people need to look at the resources they have when you are demanding top 25 football and NCAA at larges bids (which takes about top 35 at this level). Those schools budgets are also far less jimmy rigged by student fee's as well. Their true revenue blows us all away and then some. They are rolling in it.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 05:44 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-08-2013 05:42 PM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
Whats really interesting to see is the jump in both revenue and expenses from 2005 to now. Many of the P5 schools have increased their budgets by 100%+. All of the G5 schools have increased their budgets, but not by nearly as much.
05-08-2013 05:47 PM
Murray007 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Yeah, ODU needs to slowly start decreasing that subsidy percentage. That's really high.

Hopefully with more outside support the number payed by the students will decrease.
05-08-2013 05:50 PM
Advertisement

oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(05-08-2013 05:50 PM)Murray007 Wrote:  Yeah, ODU needs to slowly start decreasing that subsidy percentage. That's really high.

Hopefully with more outside support the number payed by the students will decrease.

Frankly, all of us need to decrease subsidies. I'm not sure how fair it is to ask the taxpayers/students/students' parents to pay for athletic programs.

I'm the biggest college sports fan around, but asking Joe Blow taxpayer, parent, or student (who may be using loans to pay tuition) to fund my ability to sit in the stands is questionable.

The real problem isn't ODU, Charlotte, or any of "us", but the money stream is too top heavy. One look at that list shows exactly what the problem is......finding a solution is another topic/thread.

...and I fully understand from multiple previous discussions that North Carolina doesn't allow "school funds" to aid athletic programs.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 06:13 PM by oldtiger.)
05-08-2013 06:11 PM
AtlantaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Certainly explains a lot of the programs budgets in C-USA. 72% plus for some of them?
Wow. Just wow.
05-08-2013 06:38 PM
Murray007 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-08-2013 06:11 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 05:50 PM)Murray007 Wrote:  Yeah, ODU needs to slowly start decreasing that subsidy percentage. That's really high.

Frankly, all of us need to decrease subsidies. I'm not sure how fair it is to ask the taxpayers/students/students' parents to pay for athletic programs.

I'm the biggest college sports fan around, but asking Joe Blow taxpayer, parent, or student (who may be using loans to pay tuition) to fund my ability to sit in the stands is questionable.

The real problem isn't ODU, Charlotte, or any of "us", but the money stream is too top heavy. One look at that list shows exactly what the problem is......finding a solution is another topic/thread.

...and I fully understand from multiple previous discussions that North Carolina doesn't allow "school funds" to aid athletic programs.

Great point. Absolutely great point.

Maybe the subsidy should be optional for the students..? Those who want to pay the price can and those don't care will not. However, I know at ODU (I'm a current student) that the subsidy is within the tuition price as a 'student activity fee'.

Check it out:
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/05/details-...pelled-out
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/05/college-...-fees-rise
05-08-2013 06:45 PM
oldtiger Away

(05-08-2013 06:45 PM)Murray007 Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 06:11 PM)oldtiger Wrote:  

Great point. Absolutely great point.

Maybe the subsidy should be optional for the students..? Those who want to pay the price can and those don't care will not. However, I know at ODU (I'm a current student) that the subsidy is within the tuition price as a 'student activity fee'.

Check it out:
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/05/details-...pelled-out
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/05/college-...-fees-rise

Yes. If a student is given a choice of not paying an activity fee or paying a student activity fee/attend all athletic events at no charge; there is a legitimate choice to be made.

In order to balance athletic budgets, most universities simply tack it on all students and there are some underlying philosophical questions surrounding that practice.

We're all huge sports fans of our university or we wouldn't be here, but at times even die hard fans ask if it's worth the tens of millions spent. These are tough questions around where we spend our money.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 07:24 PM by oldtiger.)
05-08-2013 07:23 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
ODU's subsidy is 74 percent but that is not from student fee's. A percentage of that is but Wood Selig was on the radio today and was very proud that the football program is being supported without taxing the students.

Most of that money is coming in privately.
05-08-2013 07:42 PM
Advertisement

ODUR8R Offline
All American

ODU currently has the largest budget and that is without FBS football. Wait until 22 additional scholarships, stadium expansion, TV revenue, Travel revenue takes place.

There will be a significant gap within a short amount of time as long as the donors keep supporting the program.
05-08-2013 07:46 PM
oldtiger Away

(05-08-2013 07:42 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  ODU's subsidy is 74 percent but that is not from student fee's. A percentage of that is but Wood Selig was on the radio today and was very proud that the football program is being supported without taxing the students.

Most of that money is coming in privately.

I'm not going to argue with you, but did you look at the back-up numbers for revenue in the linked list? About $26 million in student fees and around $4 in contributions.
05-08-2013 07:56 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Check that, I am wrong.

Thanks for correcting me. I checked that link list and now I get it.

Wow, that rising student fee looks like a losing battle, especially with coaching salaries due to rise rapidly.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 08:08 PM by ODUR8R.)
05-08-2013 08:05 PM
oldtiger Away

(05-08-2013 08:05 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  Check that, I am wrong.

Thanks for correcting me. I checked that link list and now I get it.

Wow, that rising student fee looks like a losing battle, especially with coaching salaries due to rise rapidly.

No problem at all........I wasn't trying to argue with you, just agreeing that we're all struggling.

All I'm saying is that we all have the same problem. For some the problems are a little larger than others, but we're all fighting the same battle in balancing athletics and dollars.

As examples.......ODU, UTEP, ECU and Memphis all have relatively long histories of being mostly successful at getting a good number of people in the stands/arena in at least 1 of the major sports. Yet look at the challenges each one of them have in balancing budgets.

....oh, and "I'm wrong" isn't a phrase used very often around here. Kudos.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 08:16 PM by oldtiger.)
05-08-2013 08:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.