Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What would you rather see happen?
Bookmark and Share
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
What would you rather see happen?
Just for the sake of conversation. Let's say that the P5 get what they want and break away from all the other conferences (CUSA, AAC, MAC, SB, MWC, WAC) and they are successful in pulling a good portion of the bowl games away with them too. I know some of the bowl have already said they will seek to align themselves with the bigger programs. Would you rather see more bowls made for the left out schools or would you rather see a true playoff created?

Personally I would like to see a playoff created. If the WAC somehow survives as an FBS conference then you could give automatic seeds to each conference champion then have however many at-large teams necessary to make a well rounded bracket.
05-30-2013 09:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
RE: What would you rather see happen?
The AAC and the MWC will most likely be included with the top conferences if there is a break. There are to many quality programs in these two leagues to be left out without a strong legal challenge to the system.i believe that in order to lessen the likely hood of a long legal battle, or bad press, the AAC and MWC will be brought into the fold.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 09:15 AM by baruna falls.)
05-30-2013 09:10 AM
tigtoodawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Keeping having faith in that thought. But if the P5 split, they will not look out for any "quality programs". They will only lookout for the P5. Period, end of story. IF and only IF they decide to take another conference with them, it'll be the MWC to have more schools in the Mountain and Pacific time zones.
05-30-2013 09:19 AM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-30-2013 09:10 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  The AAC and the MWC will most likely be included with the top conferences if there is a break. There are to many quality programs in these two leagues to be left out without a strong legal challenge to the system.i believe that in order to lessen the likely hood of a long legal battle, or bad press, the AAC and MWC will be brought into the fold.

Your CONFERENCE television contract is worth less than the tv money a single school gets in a P5 conference.

You're a part of the leper colony just like we are.
05-30-2013 09:20 AM
tigtoodawg Offline
1st String

Oh, and to answer the orignial question... playoff.
05-30-2013 09:20 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(05-30-2013 09:20 AM)Niner National Wrote:  
(05-30-2013 09:10 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  The AAC and the MWC will most likely be included with the top conferences if there is a break. There are to many quality programs in these two leagues to be left out without a strong legal challenge to the system.i believe that in order to lessen the likely hood of a long legal battle, or bad press, the AAC and MWC will be brought into the fold.

Your CONFERENCE television contract is worth less than the tv money a single school gets in a P5 conference.

Actually the AAC and MWC are lifeline conferences. Like it or not, at this point, these two conferences in my opinion have the best chance for survival in a split. I would say this even if ECU was not n the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 09:26 AM by baruna falls.)
05-30-2013 09:26 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(05-30-2013 09:26 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  
(05-30-2013 09:20 AM)Niner National Wrote:  

Actually the AAC and MWC are lifeline conferences. Like it or not, at this point, these two conferences in my opinion have the best chance for survival in a split. I would say this even if ECU was not n the AAC.

Best chance I agree with, but if there is a split, I don't see the AAC or the MWC making the cut.

What will happen is if there are schools that are making an especially big deal out of it, the P5 will simply invite them and tell the rest to piss off.

The Pac-12 has room for 4, the ACC has room for 2, The Big XII has room for 6, and the B1G has room for for 4.

That's a lot of spots to fill with the most influential programs remaining outside the P5.
05-30-2013 09:36 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion

Are we talking about the same top conferences who already kicked the Big East out of the club and were seriously considering canabalizing the ACC to bring thier numbers down to four?
05-30-2013 09:44 AM
slow-runner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
How exactly would the P5 break away? It sounds like they already have the separation.

I guess they could ask the NCAA to make a new football division. But who makes that decision and who would have to approve of that new division? I'm guessing this is the most difficult path for a "break away".

They might also just leave the NCAA. Well, if they do that then they can pay a salary to every player. That also means they don't have to follow any rules regarding recruiting. This seems to be a "break away" that I can't imagine happening; it's so drastic that it affects every football program (regardless of being in the P5).

How else could they break away?

Well, they could lock out everyone outside P5 from the bowls (as the OP is asking about). So it seems this is already underway. A "break away" has already started. When it's complete then a playoff system makes sense for the rest of us. But it all depends on how the P5 execute a "break away". If the P5 could possibly leave the NCAA, why would the Go5 not leave the NCAA as well?

Which brings me to the 2 possibilities: the creation of a new division or extension of the bowl lockouts. Since the second option is already underway, how might the P5 go about getting the NCAA to agree to create a new football division? What is required for that to happen? Does every school within the NCAA have to vote in the affirmative? Is that a likely outcome?
05-30-2013 09:51 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(05-30-2013 09:44 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Are we talking about the same top conferences who already kicked the Big East out of the club and were seriously considering canabalizing the ACC to bring thier numbers down to four?

Interesting comment. Let's be honest, the reason there is talk of a split is because of schools like ODU, Ga Southern , App State and Charlotte joining the FBS. The bigger conferences are concerned about the watering down of the game and the splitting of future revenue. I happen to think all of these schools have potential in the FBS, but for an ODU fan to talk smack is more than comical, it's blind to the reality of te situation at hand.
05-30-2013 09:59 AM
T_Won1 Offline
All American

(05-30-2013 09:51 AM)slow-runner Wrote:  How exactly would the P5 break away? It sounds like they already have the separation.

This.

The only thing they could do now is quit playing us and giving us the big guarantee money. But they need warmup games to prepare for the conference games, so I doubt that will happen.
05-30-2013 10:17 AM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
IF the P5 form a new NCAA division, or an association outside of the NCAA, you can be damn sure it won't include AAC, MWC or any of the smaller conferences. The league with the best chance of going with them would be the new Big East.
05-30-2013 10:18 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(05-30-2013 09:59 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  

Interesting comment. Let's be honest, the reason there is talk of a split is because of schools like ODU, Ga Southern , App State and Charlotte joining the FBS. The bigger conferences are concerned about the watering down of the game and the splitting of future revenue. I happen to think all of these schools have potential in the FBS, but for an ODU fan to talk smack is more than comical, it's blind to the reality of te situation at hand.

Brother, that's not smalk talk, that's just an observation, you'll know when I'm talking smack. I don't think the P5 is interested in expanding thier ranks, if anytihng they'll cherry-pick the schools from the lesser conferences that they want. You can blame the new kid for this "split" all you want but really it's just the top being greedy, or if you don't like the negative spin, the top wanting to produce more money and keep more of the money they feel they're producing. By stopping from playing lesser known schools they can have more "marquee" top vs top games and TV higher ratings plus they won't have to share with said lesser known school. Now I think they were coming to this conclusion whether ODU, GaSo, App St, etc. joined the FBS and they're the ones that started the snowball effect that created these openings. So I don't think they really give 2 sh*ts about us one way or the other.

BTW, August 31st we're gonna punch you in the mouth and take your lunch money. There now I'm talking smack.
05-30-2013 10:43 AM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

(05-30-2013 09:59 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  

You couldn't be more wrong. The reason that the mass shift has happened is because the Big Least was sending schools like UCONN that were unranked to the BCS with their auto bid. That is why this started. It had nothing to do with ODU, GA Southern, App State, or Charlotte. They were never in the picture until WVU, Pitt, Cuse, and LVille started bolting.

I honestly do not know where you all think that the AAC or MWC will be in that fold. NEWS FLASH the Big East (now AAC) had its membership to the big boys table revoked because of the product it was producing.

To say that your conferences are lifeline conferences is why you all get so much flack on here about the AAC. Do you not get it? There are no schools left in the AAC that are wanted. UC and UCONN have been whoring themselves out and still have not gotten a whisper of an invite. UCONN's only hope was that Calhoun stayed as HC kept UCONN at the top and his buddies in the ACC brought him in the fold for baskebtall. There is a real concern out there whether that program will continue on the same curve without Calhoun running it.

The MWC has two good schools left in Boise and Nevada. In case you didn't notice no one was coming after Boise. The smart thing for the Big XII would have been to add Boise and TCU and call it a day but they didn't did they. Boise is worthless unless they are going undefeated every season. Once they start losing 2-3 games a season no one will care about them.

The only reason why ECU was ever a rumor was because Oliver Luck brought them up in a meeting a long time ago and it never got any traction among current Big XII memebers. Make no mistake about it WVU will have absolutely no pull in the Big XII in the future and one school in there calls the shots and that is Texas and the DO NOT want a conference championship game and neither does Bob Stoops.

And to be honest since this new development with the ACC I really not see any more movement unless the Big XII somehow decides to take two more teams to help WVU out which I do not see happening. The Big East got tired of WVU and the Big XII will too. Except this time WVU won't be the big dog on the block anymore able to call the shots.
05-30-2013 10:51 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Hell yes make a playoff. I'd totally boycott the Big 5.
05-30-2013 10:57 AM
USM Birds of War Offline
Bench Warmer

(05-30-2013 10:18 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  IF the P5 form a new NCAA division, or an association outside of the NCAA, you can be damn sure it won't include AAC, MWC or any of the smaller conferences. The league with the best chance of going with them would be the new Big East.

Yep. If there is truly a break-away, the new Big East would get a lot of looks because the break-away group would have to put together their own basketball tournament. If they invited the new Big East and MWC and were able to arrange UConn's move to another conference, they'd have every school to win a men's basketball championship since UTEP.

Start dipping into the NCAA tournament coffers..... that's when it gets real.
05-30-2013 11:00 AM
Advertisement

Freshy Offline
1st String

The most likely scenario IMHO is the P5 schools forming some sort of alliance between themselves, their TV partners, and the bowl games. They won't give two pennies about what the NCAA thinks if they take all that money with them, let alone what the MWC or AAC think.

Where things would get sticky is if the NCAA retaliated and kicked their olympic sports out on the street. Networks will have far too much to say about this. Imagine CBS trying to keep the SEC happy on one hand while still trying to convince the NCAA and Go5 to not throw out March Madness as we know it.

If things don't change, and with Emmert in office they never will, then eventually you will have a grand scale hybrid in which the P5 can basically cherry pick their olympic championships by simply buying them with their football money, the latter of which will be completely separate from the NCAA. There won't be any such thing as a neutral site or a way to earn favorable seeding as a Go5 team.

There is no scheme or system even being conceptualized in which the MWC or AAC would gain even a fraction of that power. The P5 don't have to share, and they won't share. If they need a team, they will simply take what they want.

You think the P5 will completely separate and quit playing the Go5? It won't happen. Those games will go on unless the Go5 collectively puts a stop to it, which they will never do.

To answer the OP, probably an eight game playoff coupled with a complementary series of bowl matchups leading up to the start of the playoff would be ideal. The latter would help build interest in the playoff while helping the league avoid a layoff where nothing is going on, and also allow teams who fail to qualify for the playoff a shot at post-season play.
05-30-2013 11:01 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

And I was just elected the Pope. ECU, UCF, Memphis are the same as everyone else. You are one of the most delusional fans Ive ever seen. You still think you've hit the "Big Time" when all you done was switched positions from cutting tomatoes to washing lettuce at McDs.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 11:28 AM by HerdZoned.)
05-30-2013 11:27 AM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
If the AQ teams are going to start their super leagues, this is what the G5 MUST do for 2 or so years: REFUSE TO PLAY THEM OOC.
Why?
Because there is no way that the AQ schools will be, as a group, higher ranked by the computers than the G5. They will be indistinguishable by group, having never played. Our undefeated team will have the same ranking as theirs. Our SOS will be similar. The only crossover that could happen is playing some FCS teams.
How would you know that an undefeated Alabama is better than an undefeated UNT? They have never played a single crossover opponent. The computer rankings would likely be similar and would differ only on whether Bama played AQ schools with better records than UNT did P5 schools.

The next best thing would be to play them home/home only.
I understand why teams play and need payday games. Nothing wrong with them in most cases. But when our viability is at stake, they need to put a moratorium on them for a few years. And in my view, if things get really bad, just stop playing them altogether for a couple of years.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 12:11 PM by DrBox.)
05-30-2013 12:08 PM
BleedsGreen33 Offline
1st String

I have heard several ADs talk about breaking away from the have nots. Oliver Luck said in a radio interview we need to stop the cherade that all the schools are on the same level. They wanted to make 4 super 16 conferences and utilize that "look over here everyone" 4 team playoff they just created. It was just posturing to keep things status quo while appearing to make progress. It just so happened that the ACC saw the writing on the wall and for the time being put a stop to it with their new GoR deal.

I do believe that there would be lawsuits involved but I don't know how they would hold up to be honest. The gov would have to step and envoke antitrust regulation or something to prevent it. And make not mistake about it ESPN is driving this bus. The helped build the Longhorn net, just created the SEC network, and the Pitt president even let it slip he that after "consulting" with ESPN they made their move.

Here is how you can figure out if you belong with the big boys. You must be bring something to the table they want or your can offer them that someone else can't.

1) Media Market
We all know this is one of the driving forces in this whole mess. Do you provide them with a tv market that another school does not.

2) Recruiting Ground
Can you provide a conference with a new fertile recruiting groudn that someone else doesn't. This was a big draw for Texas A&M to the SEC. The SEC really wanted an in, in the state of Texas.

3) Fan Following Home and Away
Do you pack your stadium and do you travel. And to be a P5 you better bring the fans in droves or they don't want you.

4) Facilities (ex. Superdome helped Tulane)
Do you have good facilities or the promise to build them. In order for WVU to move to the Big XII they had to agree to build a better baseball field. It was a sticking point because of where they were currently playing and a big reason why state dollars are going toward the construction of a ball park. Also the AAC saw the possibility of access to the Super Dome with the addition of Tulane. Sorry Tulane your the uncool kid with a swimming pool. You're only cool in the summer.

5) Is your location a destination location
The was another selling point for Tulane they are around New Orleans. Aresco made mention that this was a big selling point on bringin them in. I mean seriously before you argue what else do they offer.

6) How is your respective fund raising
Does your alumni give and give generously. The reason this is a concern is because when they bring you in they want to make sure that you are going to continue to grow and stay up with the rest. They don't want you turning into that house on the block with the dead grass and weeds that no one keeps up.

7) Accessability and Accomadations
Airports and hotels. In order for WVU to become a memeber of the Big XII our state had to agree to build a better airport closer to Morganhell so that Big XII teams could land closer to school. All I know is an airport that was on the dockett to be closed down because it was not being used and was an unecessary expense is now all the sudden receiving and increase in state funding because schools like Oklahoma complained about having to land so far away and drive in 2+ hours potentially.

8) Prodcut on the field (are you a national player)
Do you have national profile on the field. Are you playing in big bowl games and beating quality teams. Remember in 2014 SOS is part of the equation. While this is the last on the list it is used in the decision process. If you don't bring much anything else you better be worth bringing in from a competition standpoint.

These are all things that I have heard in explanations when a new schools is brought into the fold. With WVU it was that they were winners on the field and they bring the fans. They also were told by the university that they would increase facilities. Does your school offer something no one else does and right now there isn't one school in CUSA or the AAC that can honestly say yes they do.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2013 12:27 PM by BleedsGreen33.)
05-30-2013 12:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.