Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What would happen if players refuse to sign NLI (national letter of intent)
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
What would happen if players refuse to sign NLI (national letter of intent)
Here's an interesting article on the national letter of intent process, problems that have recently come about and future considerations for players from SI.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college..._siwriters
06-18-2013 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: What would happen if players refuse to sign NLI (national letter of intent)
Very interesting indeed.
06-18-2013 10:44 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
That article is a very one-sided argument. The national letter of intent also allows the schools to move their resources on to recruiting someone else. When a kid decommits at the last minute the schools have lost countless hours of time and money spent recruiting this kid. Also, that position may have been then less recruited because the school assumed the position was filled and thus other kids at that same position they could have signed were stopped being recruited. I certainly think the school has the most leverage here but it does go both ways. When a kid makes a commitment he needs to stick to it and learn there is penalties for making bad choices in life. Allowing a kid to freely change his mind adds to the entitlement mentality this country already faces.
06-18-2013 12:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(06-18-2013 12:46 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  That article is a very one-sided argument. The national letter of intent also allows the schools to move their resources on to recruiting someone else. When a kid decommits at the last minute the schools have lost countless hours of time and money spent recruiting this kid. Also, that position may have been then less recruited because the school assumed the position was filled and thus other kids at that same position they could have signed were stopped being recruited. I certainly think the school has the most leverage here but it does go both ways. When a kid makes a commitment he needs to stick to it and learn there is penalties for making bad choices in life. Allowing a kid to freely change his mind adds to the entitlement mentality this country already faces.

I would agree with you if the schools were held to the same standard. However, they are allowed to over sign players and then hang them out to dry if they sign more than they can keep. The process is extremely one sided at this point.
06-18-2013 06:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(06-18-2013 06:17 PM)blah Wrote:  
(06-18-2013 12:46 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  That article is a very one-sided argument. The national letter of intent also allows the schools to move their resources on to recruiting someone else. When a kid decommits at the last minute the schools have lost countless hours of time and money spent recruiting this kid. Also, that position may have been then less recruited because the school assumed the position was filled and thus other kids at that same position they could have signed were stopped being recruited. I certainly think the school has the most leverage here but it does go both ways. When a kid makes a commitment he needs to stick to it and learn there is penalties for making bad choices in life. Allowing a kid to freely change his mind adds to the entitlement mentality this country already faces.

I would agree with you if the schools were held to the same standard. However, they are allowed to over sign players and then hang them out to dry if they sign more than they can keep. The process is extremely one sided at this point.

Yep. Never mind that the kid gets 4 years of his life to play college football, and you're taking one away from him, when on the other side of the coin, the school can just poach the next kid on their list at the last minute from someone else, and screw the team the next tier down.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2013 02:58 PM by Smaug.)
06-19-2013 02:57 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(06-19-2013 02:57 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

Yep. Never mind that the kid gets 4 years of his life to play college football, and you're taking one away from him, when on the other side of the coin, the school can just poach the next kid on their list at the last minute from someone else, and screw the team the next tier down.

Not to mention that coaches can move when ever they want and do not have to sit out a year.
06-19-2013 09:00 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(06-19-2013 09:00 PM)blah Wrote:  

Not to mention that coaches can move when ever they want and do not have to sit out a year.

this is the one that really gets me
06-20-2013 09:56 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(06-20-2013 09:56 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(06-19-2013 09:00 PM)blah Wrote:  

this is the one that really gets me

I don't think the NLI is the problem. The problem is that the University and coaches should be subject to a similar set of rules.
06-21-2013 12:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.