Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

B1G Bowls coming into focus
Bookmark and Share
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
B1G Bowls coming into focus
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id...on-process

Quote:No other Big Ten bowl agreements have been officially announced, but here's what the tiers likely will look like, based on conversations with league sources.

Top tier: Capital One, Outback, Holiday

Middle tier: Gator/Music City (sharing a tie-in during six-year agreement), Kraft Fight Hunger, Pinstripe

Lower tier: Heart of Dallas/Armed Forces (sharing a tie-in during six-year agreement), new Detroit bowl (managed by Detroit Lions)

The Big Ten could add another lower-tier bowl on the East Coast, and the Military Bowl in the Washington D.C. area is a possibility. Dropping out of the Big Ten's lineup are the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, the Meineke Care Care Bowl of Texas and the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl.

If they add the Military Bowl, that makes 10 tie-ins.

1- Rose
2- Cap One/Orange
3- Outback
4- Holiday
5/6/7- Gator/Music City (on rotation), Kraft Fight Hunger, Pinstripe
8/9- Armed Forces/Heart of Dallas (on rotation), Detroit
10- Military?

So no bowls vs. XII, but three vs. PAC, three vs. SEC, and three vs. ACC. I think the conference might have some issues filling all these spots due to no FCS games, a 9-game conference schedule, and a possible spot in either the playoff or access bowls.
06-24-2013 09:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
RE: B1G Bowls coming into focus
HAWKS.

That is all.

03-cool
06-24-2013 10:56 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Technically, couldn't every B1G team have six wins?
06-25-2013 09:09 AM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(06-25-2013 09:09 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Technically, couldn't every B1G team have six wins?

I suppose that's possible, but I don't think we've ever seen that happen, even when the conference was at 10 teams.

It's also possible that every NFL team finishes at 8-8. Doesn't mean it will happen, though.
06-25-2013 11:20 AM
Advertisement

AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
(06-25-2013 11:20 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
(06-25-2013 09:09 AM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  Technically, couldn't every B1G team have six wins?

I suppose that's possible, but I don't think we've ever seen that happen, even when the conference was at 10 teams.

It's also possible that every NFL team finishes at 8-8. Doesn't mean it will happen, though.

Then how many bowls do we need? Is there not a 6 win requirement to go to a bowl?
06-25-2013 12:55 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(06-25-2013 12:55 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  

Then how many bowls do we need? Is there not a 6 win requirement to go to a bowl?

There is. Last season, there were 74 teams that had 6+ wins for 70 bowl spots. Two were ineligible (OSU, PSU), meaning there were only two eligible teams that missed a bowl game.

Considering that the NCG will no longer be direct bids and the addition of 5-6 new FBS teams to pull from, two to three new bowls are very likely. Anything more would be pushing it.
06-25-2013 02:56 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(06-25-2013 02:56 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

There is. Last season, there were 74 teams that had 6+ wins for 70 bowl spots. Two were ineligible (OSU, PSU), meaning there were only two eligible teams that missed a bowl game.

Considering that the NCG will no longer be direct bids and the addition of 5-6 new FBS teams to pull from, two to three new bowls are very likely. Anything more would be pushing it.

I think the number of bowl eligble teams was higher than that. La Tech and MTSU were eligible but did not go bowling, and OSU, PSU, UNC and Miami all won 6+ but were ineligible.
06-26-2013 12:43 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
That's correct Upstream, exactly how I remember it.
06-27-2013 08:41 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

Lot more likely for a P5 conference, though, since a P5 conference can have a net winning record overall by winning more OOC games than they lose. So it would require the worst Big Ten team to have 6 conference losses and swept their OOC games, squeezing out a win against their more challenging opposition and beating up on their cupcakes.

However, most seasons the worst Big Ten team has more than six conference losses, and the worst Big Ten teams also tend to drop games against Mid-Majors.

Still, the type of season that would generate the greatest number of bowl eligible teams would see each of the strongest teams upset by one of the weaker teams, and that would also push against more than one Big Ten school in the Big Six bowl system.

(06-24-2013 09:21 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  So no bowls vs. XII, but three vs. PAC, three vs. SEC, and three vs. ACC. I think the conference might have some issues filling all these spots due to no FCS games, a 9-game conference schedule, and a possible spot in either the playoff or access bowls.
With 14 members in 2014, I think that the Big Ten might need backing for the last bowl in that schedule, which I take to be the new Detroit Bowl, flipping it from MAC vs Big Ten, with Big Ten missing it more often than not and backed by the Sunbelt, to ACC vs Big Ten, with the Big Ten backed by the MAC.
(This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 04:10 PM by BruceMcF.)
06-27-2013 04:05 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

(06-26-2013 12:43 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  
(06-25-2013 02:56 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  

I think the number of bowl eligble teams was higher than that. La Tech and MTSU were eligible but did not go bowling, and OSU, PSU, UNC and Miami all won 6+ but were ineligible.

That's correct. I forgot about UNC and Miami. Maybe that just shows how little I care about the ACC, though...03-drunk

It still doesn't change my opinion that anything more than 3 new bowls is probably too many.
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 08:42 AM by CommuterBob.)
06-28-2013 08:41 AM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Online

I Root For: Ohio State
Not sure I like the new Big Ten approach of tiers and more limits on who the bowls choose. In theory, it can help match-ups. The problem is if you loosen the hierarchy some you lose goals at the end of the season. Beyond that, there' going to be fan complaints as the Big Ten can't be involved with making good match-ups without some fanbases probably getting a worse bowl than they'd like.
06-28-2013 11:11 AM
ohio1317 Online

I Root For: Ohio State
Biggest loss in the new set-up is the Insight/Buffalo Wild Wings/whatever you want to call it Bowl. There are more Big Ten alumni in Phoenix than PAC-12 alumni and that gave them a local game. Granted, the reason it's gone and the Kraft Bowl is in is probably money. The Fiesta Bowl has kind of dropped down a notch in all of this too (both from loosing a championship game every 4 years and now just being an access bowl) and as they are run by the same committee, the organizers might not have felt they had enough money to continue offering the same thing for the bowl.
06-28-2013 11:15 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-28-2013 11:11 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Not sure I like the new Big Ten approach of tiers and more limits on who the bowls choose. In theory, it can help match-ups. The problem is if you loosen the hierarchy some you lose goals at the end of the season. Beyond that, there' going to be fan complaints as the Big Ten can't be involved with making good match-ups without some fanbases probably getting a worse bowl than they'd like.
The tiers are more about avoiding repeat trips to mid-tier and lower tier bowsl ... and not only do fans complain about those repeats, they also vote with their feet by staying home.
06-29-2013 07:17 PM
Advertisement

Blackhawk-eye Offline
1st String

I Root For: B&G Hawks
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3m

Detroit Lions/Ford Field will hold Wed. press conference to announce new bowl game w/B1G. My story from May: http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...ources-say

Looks like this is coming into focus. B1G vs ACC

Should be pretty decent and drivable for most schools, which should help attendance.
07-16-2013 11:30 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
I bet the MAC ends up with a tie in to the Detroit Lions Bowl as the backup to either conference should one of them not have a team available.
07-18-2013 10:16 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-18-2013 10:16 AM)brista21 Wrote:  I bet the MAC ends up with a tie in to the Detroit Lions Bowl as the backup to either conference should one of them not have a team available.
That would be a better deal from the perspective of the bowl than the Sunbelt backing up the Big Ten, as was the arrangement in the Pizza Pizza Bowl Bowl ... while games setting Michigan MAC schools against Purdue or Michigan State drew well in the LCPB, attendance last year when Western Kentucky came to play was low.
07-18-2013 12:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.