Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Swofford, Gross call holding ACC basketball tournament in New York a real possibility
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
Swofford, Gross call holding ACC basketball tournament in New York a real possibility
Quote:Speculation has swirled since the ACC announced it would add Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh and eventually Louisville that the ACC would eventually claim New York for its basketball tournament. And in separate conversations, ACC Commissioner John Swofford and Gross made the possibility seem likely.
"We have had talks about that, both internally and externally. And those discussions are ongoing right now," Swofford said. "Our tournament has tremendous history and success here in North Carolina but we've also moved it around on occasion to various sites. And we've had very positive discussions about the possibilities that could exist in New York looking forward. And we will be continuing those discussions."

Quote:Should the ACC decide to claim New York, its options include Madison Square Garden and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Both facilities are locked into deals with other conferences for the next few years.
The new Big East will play its basketball tournament at the Garden for the next three years. The Atlantic 10 has a deal with the Barclays Center to hold its tournament there for the next four years.

"New York is obviously such a media capital of the world, a great and fertile recruiting ground and a true college basketball mecca," Swofford said. "So I think we would be short-sighted and foolish not to give New York City every consideration as we look toward the future of our tournament."
http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/06/...g_the.html

I thought the bigeasts deal was thru 2026?
06-29-2013 12:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Swofford, Gross call holding ACC basketball tournament in New York a real possibility
(06-29-2013 12:34 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  
Quote:The new Big East will play its basketball tournament at the Garden for the next three years. The Atlantic 10 has a deal with the Barclays Center to hold its tournament there for the next four years.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2013/06/...g_the.html

I thought the bigeasts deal was thru 2026?

Could that be a typo - as in 13 years, not 3 years?
06-29-2013 12:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
RE: Swofford, Gross call holding ACC basketball tournament in New York a real possibility
It doesn't really matter to...I appreciate the tradition that is Greensboro...
06-29-2013 02:36 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(06-29-2013 02:36 PM)Maize Wrote:  It doesn't really matter to...I appreciate the tradition that is Greensboro...

So do I. Now, give me NYC for basketball (and Florida for football)
06-29-2013 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
(06-29-2013 02:59 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(06-29-2013 02:36 PM)Maize Wrote:  It doesn't really matter to...I appreciate the tradition that is Greensboro...

Not a fan for Florida for football. Leave that for the bowls.
06-29-2013 03:06 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Yankee Stadium?? Just kidding.

I can't imagine there would be "ongoing discussions" for something that cant happen for 13 years. I could see something like, "we are in contact," or, "the lines of communication are open," but "ongoing discussions" implies an active negotiation.
06-29-2013 03:06 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(06-29-2013 03:06 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  
(06-29-2013 02:36 PM)Maize Wrote:  It doesn't really matter to me...I appreciate the tradition that is Greensboro...

Football either in Charlotte or @ Home Sites...Basketball in Greensboro as a perminent site.
06-29-2013 03:59 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

Agreed.

Conference Football Championship - North Carolina
Conference Basketball Championship - New York
Post Season Major Bowl Game - Florida

This way we hit everything.

Cheers,
Neil
06-29-2013 05:02 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

Are these statements a Hint at the special announcement on Monday? Will the ACC announce that its tournament will be at the Barclays Center in 2018 and every 3-4 years thereafter)? Perhaps throw in an annual early season doubleheader at the Barclays Center?
06-29-2013 05:03 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-29-2013 05:03 PM)orangefan Wrote:  Are these statements a Hint at the special announcement on Monday? Will the ACC announce that its tournament will be at the Barclays Center in 2018 and every 3-4 years thereafter)? Perhaps throw in an annual early season doubleheader at the Barclays Center?

I'm not against doing a trial run at Barclays a couple of times between 2017-2020. But it won't be the same experience as MSG, which, imho, is where the ACC should have it permanently eventually down the road.

Cheers,
Neil
06-29-2013 05:09 PM
westmc9th Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACC/UNC/PITT
Guys seems I mistook the info I got as a "special announcement" when it is a "special event", to announce the new members I am sorry if I caused a lot of people to look extra forward to monday
06-29-2013 05:22 PM
Advertisement

4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
(06-29-2013 05:22 PM)westmc9th Wrote:  Guys seems I mistook the info I got as a "special announcement" when it is a "special event", to announce the new members I am sorry if I caused a lot of people to look extra forward to monday

I wasn't worried about it.

It's not like you continuously posted about the imminent demise of the ACC that never happened.

You said there was going to be a big presser in NYC and there is. I think that's getting most of the info correct.
06-29-2013 05:25 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-29-2013 05:02 PM)omniorange Wrote:  

Agreed.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,
I sure am glad that you don't have Swofford's ear:
Conference football championship - North Carolina
Conference basketball championship - North Carolina

ok, ok
Post season Major Bowl Game - Florida
06-29-2013 05:51 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-29-2013 05:51 PM)XLance Wrote:  

Agreed.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,
I sure am glad that you don't have Swofford's ear:
Conference football championship - North Carolina
Conference basketball championship - North Carolina

ok, ok
Post season Major Bowl Game - Florida

As usual XLance, it appears you are more than content for the ACC to remain SEC-lite, with the major emphasis being on the lite part.

Guess you eventually want to see UNC in the BiG or SEC. Because that is where that continued strategy will lead. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
06-29-2013 06:08 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
I'm a UNC fan, and I have zero interest in being in the B1G or SEC.
06-29-2013 07:16 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-29-2013 07:16 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  I'm a UNC fan, and I have zero interest in being in the B1G or SEC.

That's great. Just so you know the back and forth between me and XLance is mostly gentle ribbing. Next he'll post something about expanding with Vandy just to annoy me. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
06-29-2013 07:33 PM
Advertisement

texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange

Agreed.

Cheers,
Neil

My thoughts too!
06-29-2013 07:45 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(06-29-2013 07:33 PM)omniorange Wrote:  
(06-29-2013 07:16 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  I'm a UNC fan, and I have zero interest in being in the B1G or SEC.

That's great. Just so you know the back and forth between me and XLance is mostly gentle ribbing. Next he'll post something about expanding with Vandy just to annoy me. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,
Actually the ideal expansion scenario would be to add South Carolina and West Virginia (if one were to assume that Notre Dame will never join as a full member).
Vanderbilt would be ..................
06-29-2013 08:22 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Barclays Center makes the most sense to me. The ACC rotational set-up works well for that with it being something every couple of years. It would be a big enough deal getting the ACC that Barclays would be willing to push the Atlantic 10 into an agreement next time for some breaks (and the Atlantic 10 wouldn't really be in a position to push back). I don't see Madison Square Garden in the cards. It would require an annual agreement in opinion (which the ACC won't and shouldn't do) and the Big East agreement is long term already.
06-29-2013 08:27 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(06-29-2013 08:22 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(06-29-2013 07:33 PM)omniorange Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,
Actually the ideal expansion scenario would be to add South Carolina and West Virginia (if one were to assume that Notre Dame will never join as a full member).
Vanderbilt would be ..................

Not that I think South Carolina would leave the SEC, but even if they were willing, I don't see how they add much value to the ACC. Plus it throws the pods totally out of whack.

We have a Southern pod of FSU, Miami, GT, and Clemson.

Unless, of course, this is a secret plan by Swofford and UNC to get South Carolina in that southern pod so that GT could be moved to a pod with UNC, UVa, and Duke. 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
06-29-2013 08:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.