Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Future Big 12
exflash Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns
Future Big 12
Well we all know that it is coming soon. The Big 12 needs more teams and don't be surprised if a new school (state) is added. That would be the University of Louisiana (Lafayette). Things have turned drastically at the school with 2 straight Bowl wins with last years home crowd of 45K to the NO Bowl. A stadium expansion to 65K and a huge athletic department building program. Future enrollment of 20K projected and this very wealthy area seems to have gotten behind its RAGIN' CAJUNS. In the not too distant past the Cajuns have sent an at large WBB to the regionals, softball team to the WCWS, Baseball team to Super regionals and a CWS appearance, 2 basketball regionals, and the afore mentioned football successes. Getting their foot into Louisiana recruiting area and a perfect geographical fit also bide well for the Cajuns. The future looks bright regardless for UL!!!
07-02-2013 07:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Future Big 12
There are better Big XII targets available. Cincinnati, BYU, USF, SMU, UH, Nevada, and New Mexico are likely ALL ahead of you in the picking order.

Here are a few big problems:

1. Your market is too small.
2. The NO Bowl isn't a top tier bowl - most fans don't have any clue that you're on the way up.
3. Your brand is still fairly weak. Being called UL-Lafayette instead of just Univ. of Louisiana is highly problematic in this regard.
4. You still haven't proven you're a tier of UL-Monroe (there are a few ways to do this). Most casual fans consider you to be equal to them.
07-02-2013 08:00 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
What would life be without the occasional alcohol and illegal substance induced dream scenario
07-02-2013 08:04 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
You might be right about Big 12 expansion at some point in the future, although the league seems fairly content at present. But ULL as that member? Not a chance, my friend. Aspiration is a wonderful thing, but it should be seasoned with a bit of realism to be effective.
07-02-2013 08:11 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I admire your pride in your school. But I'm not sure that the Big 12 is looking to expand.

If they do, I humbly suggest that the numbers for ULL are not there yet. First, an enrollment of 20k would still put you at less than half of the other schools the Big 12 is looking at: UC, USF, UCF, and even the private BYU has 34k. Second, an endowment of $70 million would be far and away the smallest for a Power 5 school.

I agree that a 2nd Louisiana school should be in a P-5 conference. It's a large state that is crazy about football, (and the only other state that deserves a 2nd P-5 school more is Ohio). The problem is that it's not obvious which LA school it should be. ULL, ULM, La Tech, and Tulane all have tremendous potential, but which one is 2nd best? It's not like Ohio, where there is a clear #2.
07-02-2013 08:19 AM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
I have to admit, ULL was not the school I thought would be attached to this thread. Louisiana has a quantity problem. LSU, Tulane, La. Tech, La. Laf, La. Monroe... 5 teams in the FBS is a lot for a state the size of Louisiana. ULL has a long way to go in all areas. 1. Proven consistency in sports 2. Not even ranked academically (means they are outside the top 200 nationally. Texas Tech and WVU are tied for lowest in the Big 12 at 165) 3. They raked in $15 mil last year, which is $40 mil less than Iowa State (I don't think TV money is going to make up a $40 mil gap any time soon, especially when that just gets you even with the lowest earning school in the conference).

Conference USA needs to be the next goal for ULL, not the Big 12. As was stated earlier, I can think of a dozen schools off the top of my head that would be considered ahead of ULL.
07-02-2013 08:52 AM
Advertisement

HartfordHusky Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCONN
I think that the B12 should be looking to shore up it's WVU addition and bolster it's entire athletic profile. I think adding UConn, Cincy, Temple, and either USF or Memphis would largely accomplish that. UConn, Cincy, Temple, and Memphis being added to the existing core of Kansas, Kansas St., Texas, and WVU would rival the B1G and even the ACC in hoops power and would greatly enhance the national profile of the league outside of it's currently small footprint.
07-02-2013 09:38 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(07-02-2013 09:38 AM)HartfordHusky Wrote:  I think that the B12 should be looking to shore up it's WVU addition and bolster it's entire athletic profile. I think adding UConn, Cincy, Temple, and either USF or Memphis would largely accomplish that. UConn, Cincy, Temple, and Memphis being added to the existing core of Kansas, Kansas St., Texas, and WVU would rival the B1G and even the ACC in hoops power and would greatly enhance the national profile of the league outside of it's currently small footprint.

The B12 is kicking themselves for adding West Virginia over Louisville.

I don't think think they want to go the route of adding UConn and Temple. They don't fit the character of the B12 at all.

I like the idea though of the B12 becoming a western version of the ACC. Cincinnati and Memphis could help do that.
07-02-2013 10:08 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
All the schools mentioned are good schools and worthy of consideration somewhere including the Big 12, but the schools are not the issue. Options and peers are the issues for Texas and Oklahoma. Neither school wants to have their options limited (which is the reason they stand at 10 schools) and neither of the two could envision themselves being peers with the schools mentioned (which is why it is likely not to happen). By staying at 10 future moves are not precluded (GOR expires in a decade and dissolution can be had at 8 votes) and if they decide that remaining in the Big 12 is in their best interest long term then in 7 or 8 years we might see a couple of additions. But until then keeping their options open is the top priority for Dodds and Boren.
07-02-2013 10:17 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(07-02-2013 08:19 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I admire your pride in your school. But I'm not sure that the Big 12 is looking to expand.

If they do, I humbly suggest that the numbers for ULL are not there yet. First, an enrollment of 20k would still put you at less than half of the other schools the Big 12 is looking at: UC, USF, UCF, and even the private BYU has 34k. Second, an endowment of $70 million would be far and away the smallest for a Power 5 school.

I agree that a 2nd Louisiana school should be in a P-5 conference. It's a large state that is crazy about football, (and the only other state that deserves a 2nd P-5 school more is Ohio). The problem is that it's not obvious which LA school it should be. ULL, ULM, La Tech, and Tulane all have tremendous potential, but which one is 2nd best? It's not like Ohio, where there is a clear #2.

20 years ago while UC was not in the MAC their performance and budget was not head and shoulders above MAC schools. UC stepped up to CUSA/BE and it changed recruiting and donations as one would hope.

The ladder for moving up CUSA>BE>ACC has lost its rungs. The gap between the P5 and G5 is huge. Cincinnati is lucky that was able to build up when it did. Could Louisiana do the same thing? They've had a difficult time even getting into CUSA. They have no chance at the AAC with Tulane in there.

Louisiana can go to 45k or 65k and it will not make a difference if they can get that endowment up to at least 500 million. That is another thing going for UC is they have a 1 billion dollar endowment which is the size of both Miami U. and Ohio combined.
07-02-2013 10:22 AM
Flying Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Who I wnt 2 win
(07-02-2013 08:19 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I admire your pride in your school. But I'm not sure that the Big 12 is looking to expand.

Sadly I concur.
07-02-2013 10:28 AM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
Biggest issues of many here are tv following and financial ability to compete.

TV Following- ULL historically has been the at best 3rd or 4th most recognized brand in Lousiana. LSU is the only strong one with LT & Tulane usually being #2. Their ratings typically haven't been stellar and are behind the other main candidates. It's hard to see ULL add value relative to other options who might be added instead.

Financial Ability- The Big 12 would be a windfall for ULL but not enough of one to take their 17mm overall athletics budget and have them anywhere near the spending ability needed to be a top flight competitor across the board. They only draw 6.3mm in combined ticket and donation revenues. By comparison Cincinnati has 14mm from those sources as part of a 48mm budget, UConn slides in at 22mm out of 63mm, and you begin to get an idea. Any team the Big 12 adds needs to be financially strong enough to recruit extensively and retain quality coaches so that they aren't starting over every three to four years when good coaches are poached.

No offense to any Ragin Cajuns out there but I don't see it remotely having any chance of happening. Tulane is the only Louisiana school in the Go5 with any shot IMO.
07-02-2013 10:40 AM
Metacog Drivel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
lololol.
07-02-2013 11:01 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
In the past, I would have agreed with the Cajun fan. And while I do believe that membership in a p5 conference should be a goal for the Cajuns, unfortunately, they have two issues going against them:
first, they are not a flagship institution and they are not a land grant institution either. That is to say that they are not Alabama, Michigan, Auburn, or an LSU. (I'm sure most Cajun fans are aware of this); second, they do not have the history of an institution that would be considered an exception to the flagship/land grant status. The way this history or "branding" can be acquired, unfortunately, is by jumping from conference to conference (arghhh!!! And I hate that with a passion, but that is the P5's rules apparently!!! The P5 do not care about other conferences IMO)
07-02-2013 11:14 AM
exflash Offline
Special Teams

(07-02-2013 08:52 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  I have to admit, ULL was not the school I thought would be attached to this thread. Louisiana has a quantity problem. LSU, Tulane, La. Tech, La. Laf, La. Monroe... 5 teams in the FBS is a lot for a state the size of Louisiana. ULL has a long way to go in all areas. 1. Proven consistency in sports 2. Not even ranked academically (means they are outside the top 200 nationally. Texas Tech and WVU are tied for lowest in the Big 12 at 165) 3. They raked in $15 mil last year, which is $40 mil less than Iowa State (I don't think TV money is going to make up a $40 mil gap any time soon, especially when that just gets you even with the lowest earning school in the conference).

Conference USA needs to be the next goal for ULL, not the Big 12. As was stated earlier, I can think of a dozen schools off the top of my head that would be considered ahead of ULL.
UL has about twice the enrollment of all except LSU----Not many can say that they have achieved the overall success that the Cajuns have in aforementioned areas-----UL will be a tier one school in one year and is already ranked as a high research university-----Our Budget will be over $20 mill this year and maybe closer to $25 mill---If student athletic fees are achieved then that Budget money goes through the roof-----Also to factor in these kind of teams coming into Lafayette is a factor-----BTW our Endowment is in the $160 million range which surprises many!!!! I agree the name issue is tough but one that gets just the Louisiana by more and more each year---A conference without Monroe would change the Brand very quickly!!!
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 05:23 PM by exflash.)
07-02-2013 05:21 PM
exflash Offline
Special Teams

(07-02-2013 08:00 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  There are better Big XII targets available. Cincinnati, BYU, USF, SMU, UH, Nevada, and New Mexico are likely ALL ahead of you in the picking order.

Here are a few big problems:

1. Your market is too small.
2. The NO Bowl isn't a top tier bowl - most fans don't have any clue that you're on the way up.
3. Your brand is still fairly weak. Being called UL-Lafayette instead of just Univ. of Louisiana is highly problematic in this regard.
4. You still haven't proven you're a tier of UL-Monroe (there are a few ways to do this). Most casual fans consider you to be equal to them.
WOW a Tulane guy talking attendance---We had more in one game at your home field than you had all year----By the way the 2 Louisiana schools you played had 104 points scored on the WAVE in 2 games!!! lafayette is a very Rich area and the growth we have made is unreal which is about 25 years behind thanks to an over the hill president!!!
07-02-2013 05:28 PM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(07-02-2013 07:48 AM)exflash Wrote:  Well we all know that it is coming soon. The Big 12 needs more teams and don't be surprised if a new school (state) is added. That would be the University of Louisiana (Lafayette).

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
07-02-2013 06:15 PM
FreshPrinceOfDarkness Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas Tech
(07-02-2013 05:21 PM)exflash Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 08:52 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  I have to admit, ULL was not the school I thought would be attached to this thread. Louisiana has a quantity problem. LSU, Tulane, La. Tech, La. Laf, La. Monroe... 5 teams in the FBS is a lot for a state the size of Louisiana. ULL has a long way to go in all areas. 1. Proven consistency in sports 2. Not even ranked academically (means they are outside the top 200 nationally. Texas Tech and WVU are tied for lowest in the Big 12 at 165) 3. They raked in $15 mil last year, which is $40 mil less than Iowa State (I don't think TV money is going to make up a $40 mil gap any time soon, especially when that just gets you even with the lowest earning school in the conference).

UL has about twice the enrollment of all except LSU----Not many can say that they have achieved the overall success that the Cajuns have in aforementioned areas-----UL will be a tier one school in one year and is already ranked as a high research university-----Our Budget will be over $20 mill this year and maybe closer to $25 mill---If student athletic fees are achieved then that Budget money goes through the roof-----Also to factor in these kind of teams coming into Lafayette is a factor-----BTW our Endowment is in the $160 million range which surprises many!!!! I agree the name issue is tough but one that gets just the Louisiana by more and more each year---A conference without Monroe would change the Brand very quickly!!!

Your endowment is how much?

NACUBO Endowment Charts
07-02-2013 08:18 PM
exflash Offline
Special Teams

(07-02-2013 08:18 PM)FreshPrinceOfDarkness Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 05:21 PM)exflash Wrote:  

Your endowment is how much?

NACUBO Endowment Charts
$160 Million ----And this is I guess one of the few good things about our former president's reign---Like everybody's our total took a dip with the markets downfall in years back but wasn't as bad as others--then some great investments along with great increase of the oil field donations kicked it up big time----again there is a lot of oil field money in the Acadiana area but has now spread out much more than the past!!! Again our athletic facilities expansion will be a $175 million deal but will be a combination of individual donations, student accessed fees, and I am sure some bond money----the banks (about 30-50) have put together a great package for funding!!! I didn't post this initially without some really good info to back up the goals and happenings of the university and its fabulous potential!!!
07-02-2013 08:43 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Big 12 is looking at Rice, Tulane and Memphis but not for many years and SMU was told not to even try
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2013 08:45 PM by Pony94.)
07-02-2013 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.