Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would you rather live 100 years in past, or 100 years in future?
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Would you rather live 100 years in past, or 100 years in future?
My hometown paper had this as an on-line poll, and I thought it was actually an interesting question.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 09:25 AM by DrTorch.)
09-04-2013 09:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
RE: Would you rather live 100 years in past, or 100 years in future?
Great question. Either way, I think that it is probably difficult to fit in....

On one hand going back in time with the knowledge that I have would be very useful. On the other, trying to live through the Spanish Flu pandemic, WWI and WWII and the Great Depression would be difficult.

However, looking at the changes in the last 100 years, going 100 years in the future and I might not recognize this place. The U.S. is probably no longer a super power and I might not be able to function without a workable knowledge of Spanish or Mandarin.

I think I would pick the past....
09-04-2013 10:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
My grandparents were a big influence on me so attitude wise I could easily go back 100 years to where those attitudes were more prevalent in our society.
09-04-2013 10:20 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
Knowing that the past existed is a compelling factor.

I would rather enter into a recognized room lighted by a single candle than blindfolded into an ambiguous room.
09-04-2013 11:11 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I'll take the future myself. Perhaps I can move into space and really get away from everybody...
09-04-2013 12:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
the past. my buddy and i romanticize the st louis world's fair. it was the first burning man
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 12:10 PM by Lush.)
09-04-2013 12:09 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
100 years in the future.

I want to see if technology can overcome government and humanity's flaws.
09-04-2013 12:43 PM
lebomb Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UTSA
Why would any Niggra want to live 100yrs ago with slavery just ending, oppression, KKK rallys everywhere, and blacks working in the cotton fields.....etc, etc, etc.....damn that.

Now there may be some white folk that would like to live back then for these very same reasons..........just sayin. No racist.
09-04-2013 12:45 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(09-04-2013 12:45 PM)lebomb Wrote:  Why would any Niggra want to live 100yrs ago with slavery just ending, oppression, KKK rallys everywhere, and blacks working in the cotton fields.....etc, etc, etc.....damn that.

Now there may be some white folk that would like to live back then for these very same reasons..........just sayin. No racist.

as despicable as slavery was, with the ability of hindsight (which i imagine is alloted in this endeavor), it beats living in africa. but i guess with this scenario you wouldn't reap your children's children's "rewards." hell, around that time anyway, europe was in it's heyday of imperialism.
09-04-2013 01:01 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Future. I prefer the unknown. I hate watching something as non-consequential as a football game if I know the outcome. I can't imaging watching WWII knowing what was really going on.

If you are talking about a visit - the past. I'd love to visit that grassy knoll in Dallas on 11/22/63. Knowing my luck, some guy would toss me his gun just as the police arrived!
09-04-2013 01:12 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

(09-04-2013 01:12 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  Future. I prefer the unknown. I hate watching something as non-consequential as a football game if I know the outcome. I can't imaging watching WWII knowing what was really going on.

If you are talking about a visit - the past. I'd love to visit that grassy knoll in Dallas on 11/22/63. Knowing my luck, some guy would toss me his gun just as the police arrived!

but the question was 100 years ago. that would have been right before the interesting war
09-04-2013 01:16 PM
Advertisement

BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
I would prefer the future. Let me try to figure out what we've become instead of where we came from.

Now, as much as I agree with this quote (me being a black man and all)...

(09-04-2013 12:45 PM)lebomb Wrote:  Why would any Niggra want to live 100yrs ago with slavery just ending, oppression, KKK rallys everywhere, and blacks working in the cotton fields.....etc, etc, etc.....damn that.

Niggra? Really? What the hell, man?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4
09-04-2013 08:45 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(09-04-2013 12:43 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  100 years in the future.

I want to see if technology can overcome government and humanity's flaws.

You now been pleasure to 4 Terminator movies.... you already know how this goes!
09-04-2013 10:52 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(09-04-2013 11:11 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Knowing that the past existed is a compelling factor.

I would rather enter into a recognized room lighted by a single candle than blindfolded into an ambiguous room.

But once you go back you are in a new timeline of events as your presence changes things.
09-04-2013 10:54 PM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
(09-04-2013 10:54 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 11:11 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Knowing that the past existed is a compelling factor.

But once you go back you are in a new timeline of events as your presence changes things.

Hypothetically, the Butterfly Effect suggests that the future can be altered as well.

We currently live in a time where people and events are constantly diverting the course of a would-be history… not being conscious of those adjustments makes it a non-issue.

Although, Robert A. Heinlein's All You Zombies seems less and less like science fiction.
09-05-2013 07:36 AM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

the world moves too quick for a has been like me. i'm not in the mood for change. i envision myself on a front porch rocker, if they have them when i'm old and gray. i will be your grandfathers harking back to the bygone days. but we assimilate, slowly, but surely. our tried and true methods that once preserved us are but relics in the eternal golden age. we can fight, but we will assimilate all the same. thus spake, the nostalgic
09-05-2013 12:34 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(09-05-2013 12:34 PM)Lush Wrote:  the world moves too quick for a has been like me. i'm not in the mood for change. i envision myself on a front porch rocker, if they have them when i'm old and gray. i will be your grandfathers harking back to the bygone days. but we assimilate, slowly, but surely. our tried and true methods that once preserved us are but relics in the eternal golden age. we can fight, but we will assimilate all the same. thus spake, the nostalgic

Yeah, I feel like that often too. But that's largely b/c much of the change these days is simply for the sake of change.

I had this discussion yesterday: Is MS Office 2010 really any better than 2007, 2003, or even 1997? Small pieces are, but they could have fixed those as patches or just sold better systems. They didn't need broad changes, especially in the most pointless (yet time consuming) areas like tab locations.

Same w/ Windoze. 98 worked, XP was better. ME sucked, vista sucked, Win 8 sucks...really, that's a lot of work keeping up w/ changes, many of them bad.

And that's not work I want to do. Those are supposed to be tools for me to do my real work. Spending all my time just learning a new tool is not productive. And when the tool is worse, it's counterproductive.

I can handle some change. I don't need college football on AM radio, I really like ESPN 3 on my iPad. But note, that's a change for the better!

So I don't think I'm so much nostalgic as I am just wanting to get things done effectively.
09-05-2013 02:07 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(09-05-2013 02:07 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(09-05-2013 12:34 PM)Lush Wrote:  the world moves too quick for a has been like me. i'm not in the mood for change. i envision myself on a front porch rocker, if they have them when i'm old and gray. i will be your grandfathers harking back to the bygone days. but we assimilate, slowly, but surely. our tried and true methods that once preserved us are but relics in the eternal golden age. we can fight, but we will assimilate all the same. thus spake, the nostalgic

Yeah, I feel like that often too. But that's largely b/c much of the change these days is simply for the sake of change.

I had this discussion yesterday: Is MS Office 2010 really any better than 2007, 2003, or even 1997? Small pieces are, but they could have fixed those as patches or just sold better systems. They didn't need broad changes, especially in the most pointless (yet time consuming) areas like tab locations.

Same w/ Windoze. 98 worked, XP was better. ME sucked, vista sucked, Win 8 sucks...really, that's a lot of work keeping up w/ changes, many of them bad.

And that's not work I want to do. Those are supposed to be tools for me to do my real work. Spending all my time just learning a new tool is not productive. And when the tool is worse, it's counterproductive.

I can handle some change. I don't need college football on AM radio, I really like ESPN 3 on my iPad. But note, that's a change for the better!

So I don't think I'm so much nostalgic as I am just wanting to get things done effectively.

So, what was your pick? I didn't see it.
09-05-2013 02:11 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Very easy question for me to answer: The past.

I've always been interested in turn-of-the-century stuff, and it would mean the Roaring Twenties were just around the corner. That decade in itself would be worth the trip. Yes, I own the novels Time & Again and Bid Time Return (which was made into a schmaltzy but entertaining film Somewhere in Time back in the 80s). Both involving time travel back to roughly 100 years ago.

Though it'd be interesting to see what has changed, I don't have much desire to zoom ahead 100 years. No thanks.
09-05-2013 02:56 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(09-04-2013 10:54 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

But what if one of those changes includes killing your father as a young kid, in which case you were never born to make the trip back and kill your father anyhow?

One of two things make traveling back possible: it's already dictated that you cannot and will not kill someone that would prevent you from being born - or - once you set foot in the past, your timeline branches off into a new parallel timeline where a multiverse of many universes exist.
09-05-2013 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.