ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liberty to Sun Belt / JMU to MAC
CalODUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Liberty to Sun Belt / JMU to MAC
Interesting article from Harry. Looks like JMU is ready to take the leap to MAC and Liberty is pounding on Sun Belt door.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/02/odus-bro...cusa-board
02-21-2014 06:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
RE: Liberty to Sun Belt / JMU to MAC
Both those moves (if they come to pass) make sense.

The plus side for ODU is, if both JMU and Liberty make the jump, OOC scheduling in football got a whole lot easier and cheaper.
02-21-2014 06:17 PM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

Misleading thread title.

JMpoo has to have in invite from the MAC. Nothing in the blog indicates that is coming. Still don't believe a Midwest conference invites an eastern team with no TV market. What incentive would a conference have to split their existing pot thinner adding a school that brings zero addititional money and exposure?
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2014 06:37 PM by ODU True Blue.)
02-21-2014 06:36 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

Why do we have so many threads about JMU. We are too good to talk about them or even acknowledge their existence! LOL
02-21-2014 06:47 PM
GO_MONARKS Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Never heard of these two schools....what state are they in???
02-21-2014 08:20 PM
backrow Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Monarchs!
(02-21-2014 06:47 PM)paintedblue Wrote:  Why do we have so many threads about JMU. We are too good to talk about them or even acknowledge their existence! LOL

Relax! It's for entertainment purposes only! It's fun entertainment reading the 600+ pages on the toejamu conference joining boards. There is more on the MAC forum, and Flamefan forum. Pure entertainment watching the spazzing toejamers!
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2014 08:42 PM by backrow.)
02-21-2014 08:27 PM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

(02-21-2014 08:27 PM)backrow Wrote:  
(02-21-2014 06:47 PM)paintedblue Wrote:  Why do we have so many threads about JMU. We are too good to talk about them or even acknowledge their existence! LOL

Relax! It's for entertainment purposes only! It's fun entertainment reading the 600+ pages on the toejamu boards.

He was kidding. This is the comment that comes up every time they start an ODU thread on the JMU board.
02-21-2014 08:31 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(02-21-2014 06:36 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  Misleading thread title.

JMpoo has to have in invite from the MAC. Nothing in the blog indicates that is coming. Still don't believe a Midwest conference invites an eastern team with no TV market. What incentive would a conference have to split their existing pot thinner adding a school that brings zero addititional money and exposure?

This is truth.
02-21-2014 08:56 PM
ODUalum78 Offline

Hahaha good one! 01-ncaabbs
02-21-2014 08:57 PM
djnva Offline
All American

Yeah, there's no new info in that article about Liberty/JMU.
02-22-2014 09:59 AM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
I'll believe when I see...but I'm encouraged that more "MAC is a done deal" from JMU insiders.

Liberty/JMU & ODU all IA in different conferences would help all three keep costs down and would be well attended games at any of the three locations.
02-24-2014 11:54 AM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline

This statement by JMU president Alger may be the most telling to date:
Quote:When we think about different conferences, we’re not talking about the SEC or the Big 10 or the so called ‘power conferences’ that have been getting a lot of publicity recently,” Alger said. “But the options that we’re talking about at the FBS level they’re really more modest conferences — they really look an awfully lot like where we already are
http://www.breezejmu.org/news/article_9b...f6878.html
It tells me that JMU's current FBS options are limited to an almost lateral move. That speaks Sun Belt, and only Sun Belt.
as both the MAC and CUSA should be considered upward moves under any circumstance.

True Blue hit the nail on the head head here, adding that there is also the problem of an FCS move up:
(02-21-2014 06:36 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  JMpoo has to have in invite from the MAC. Nothing in the blog indicates that is coming. Still don't believe a Midwest conference invites an eastern team with no TV market. What incentive would a conference have to split their existing pot thinner adding a school that brings zero addititional money and exposure?

Additionally, the CUSA board of presidents voted not to expand. JMU forum rhetoric aside; the only way it goes to CUSA is if there is defection. There is presently not even a hint of that. Also, I doubt that CUSA would add an FCS team now under any circumstance.

So, the overwhelming probability is that either JMU or Liberty go to the SBC, if indeed there is any movement at all from Virginia.

Since there is literally no real "smoke" out of Liberty, or more importantly the SBC, it would appear that JMU is still considering a move to the SBC.

At this point, I guess Liberty can do no more than wait it out, but it does seem that LU is the second choice of the Sun Belt behind JMU.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 11:48 AM by ODUalum78.)
03-03-2014 11:31 AM
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Agreed. 03-thumbsup
03-03-2014 11:58 AM
ODUalum78 Offline

(03-03-2014 11:58 AM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  

Agreed. 03-thumbsup

Paintedblue's funny post quoting a post from the JMU board aside, I see this thread as more about Liberty.

However, any FBS move up by a Virginia institution will directly affect ODU with respect to recruiting, shared media coverage, and merchandising. It also will certainly affect football scheduling and rivalries.

Consequently I would think any new and real information (see Alger's comment above) highly relevant to the ODU fanbase.
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 12:53 PM by ODUalum78.)
03-03-2014 12:16 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-03-2014 11:31 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  This statement by JMU president Alger may be the most telling to date:
Quote:When we think about different conferences, we’re not talking about the SEC or the Big 10 or the so called ‘power conferences’ that have been getting a lot of publicity recently,” Alger said. “But the options that we’re talking about at the FBS level they’re really more modest conferences — they really look an awfully lot like where we already are
http://www.breezejmu.org/news/article_9b...f6878.html
It tells me that JMU's current FBS options are limited to an almost lateral move. That speaks Sun Belt, and only Sun Belt.
as both the MAC and CUSA should be considered upward moves under any circumstance.

True Blue hit the nail on the head head here, adding that there is also the problem of an FCS move up:
(02-21-2014 06:36 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  JMpoo has to have in invite from the MAC. Nothing in the blog indicates that is coming. Still don't believe a Midwest conference invites an eastern team with no TV market. What incentive would a conference have to split their existing pot thinner adding a school that brings zero addititional money and exposure?

Additionally, the CUSA board of presidents voted not to expand. JMU forum rhetoric aside; the only way it goes to CUSA is if there is defection. There is presently not even a hint of that. Also, I doubt that CUSA would add an FCS team now under any circumstance.

So, the overwhelming probability is that either JMU or Liberty go to the SBC, if indeed there is any movement at all from Virginia.

Since there is literally no real "smoke" out of Liberty, or more importantly the SBC, it would appear that JMU is still considering a move to the SBC.

At this point, I guess Liberty can do no more than wait it out, but it does seem that LU is the second choice of the Sun Belt behind JMU.

There has been off and on scuttlebutt about a potential UTEP move to the MWC, but that may just be the fever dreams of realignment board junkies. Even then, if they moved, they'd be more likely to be replaced by another Western team such as Arkansas State, Texas State or New Mexico State.

The only way an eastern division slot opens up is if the AAC comes calling. The only way *that* happens is if the P5 moves. And as I just got finished whining about in another thread, that's pretty unlikely.
03-03-2014 04:06 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(03-03-2014 04:06 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  There has been off and on scuttlebutt about a potential UTEP move to the MWC, but that may just be the fever dreams of realignment board junkies. Even then, if they moved, they'd be more likely to be replaced by another Western team such as Arkansas State, Texas State or New Mexico State.

The only way an eastern division slot opens up is if the AAC comes calling. The only way *that* happens is if the P5 moves. And as I just got finished whining about in another thread, that's pretty unlikely.

If that happened, I would hope the CUSA commissioner's would close the league in a little bit and immediately elliminate NMSU from contention. Texas State appears to have the highest ceiling and Arkansas State is the most ready. The decision, if UTEP were to leave, should come to those two and ULL.
03-03-2014 04:26 PM
Advertisement

Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
The Big 12 would be ground zero. Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas have all been window shopping. It's no secret that the Big Ten has been looking at Kansas and Oklahoma. The ACC would take "public ivy" Texas in a heartbeat.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 04:33 PM by Sirloin Burger.)
03-03-2014 04:32 PM
Oduniceguy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big Blue Beast
I see Texas either going Independent or to the SEC before I ever see them going to the ACC.
03-03-2014 04:50 PM
monarchoptimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & CU
Roadblocks exist (GOR & sky high exit fees) in addition to the P5 being weary of the instability and secrecy. I think things at the top level are locked in until the next round of TV deals is on deck.
03-03-2014 04:51 PM
ODUalum78 Offline

(03-03-2014 04:32 PM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  The Big 12 would be ground zero. Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas have all been window shopping. It's no secret that the Big Ten has been looking at Kansas and Oklahoma. The ACC would take "public ivy" Texas in a heartbeat.

There will be no movement from any P5 within the time frame of the current GoRs.
It is not, for example, like the ACC trying to get it's money from Maryland. It could be years before that gets through the last court, and even if the ACC is the final winner, it could be years again before the ACC could collect, if ever.
Maryland in the meantime has so far lost nothing but legal fees.

With a GoR, the media entity (which now owns the rights to the school) has all of the money, which it then disseminates to the school. Unlike an exit fee, which a school is supposed to pay, all present GoR money would withheld from the school if it violated the contract. Further, all future media monies would be withheld as well. Even IF, and that's a big IF, a school somehow successfully challenged a GoR in court, it could be years, even decades before it saw it's money...if ever.
I don't think any university could afford to vacate all media dollars for the duration of the GoR or even longer.

Therefore, at least in the immediate future, the only movement will be within the G5, or possibly 2 or 3 G5 (Cincy, UConn, Memphis) teams to a P5.
Although the SEC doesn't have a GoR, who in their right mind leaves the SEC?
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2014 05:05 PM by ODUalum78.)
03-03-2014 04:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.