Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"American Athletic Conference's success a labor of love for Commissioner Mike Aresco"
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
"American Athletic Conference's success a labor of love for Commissioner Mike Aresco"
American Athletic Conference's success a labor of love for Commissioner Mike Aresco

Aresco reflects on bumpy path to league's success and what lies ahead for AAC.

[Image: 10245312_10152477008337573_4721864435255706571_n.jpg]

No one knows better what Mike Aresco has been through during the past 20 months than his wife, Sharon. She was there by his side when Aresco was named the commissioner of the Big East in 2012.

Read the rest here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os...418.column
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 09:08 PM by JDTulane.)
04-20-2014 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: "American Athletic Conference's success a labor of love for Commissioner Mike Aresco"
Subscriber only
04-20-2014 03:33 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
RE: "American Athletic Conference's success a labor of love for Commissioner Mike...
The AAC has a great leader.
04-20-2014 05:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
RE: "American Athletic Conference's success a labor of love for Commissioner Mike...
(04-20-2014 03:23 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  American Athletic Conference's success a labor of love for Commissioner Mike Aresco

Aresco reflects on bumpy path to league's success and what lies ahead for AAC.

[Image: 10245312_10152477008337573_4721864435255706571_n.jpg]

No one knows better what Mike Aresco has been through during the past 20 months than his wife, Sharon. She was there by his side when Aresco was named the commissioner of the Big East in 2012.

Read the rest here: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os...418.column

We can't read the rest here unless we subscribe.
04-20-2014 05:35 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: "American Athletic Conference's success a labor of love for Commissioner Mike Aresco"
Aresco...meh
04-20-2014 05:36 PM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Aresco is proving everyone wrong!!
04-20-2014 06:04 PM
Advertisement

mwp1023 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
(04-20-2014 05:36 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Aresco...meh
Nearly all of the problems this conference has faced is because of meatball the previous commish. Look at the mess Aresco had to cleanup.

Luckily the AAC has turned lemons into lemonade and we are continuing to get better.
04-20-2014 06:39 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ

The guy is a machine and a constant media pimp. Not sure how anyone wouldn't love the guy.
04-20-2014 07:22 PM
Cougaren Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Unv.of Houston
(04-20-2014 06:39 PM)mwp1023 Wrote:  
Nearly all of the problems this conference has faced is because of meatball the previous commish. Look at the mess Aresco had to cleanup.

Luckily the AAC has turned lemons into lemonade and we are continuing to get better.

We Cougars follow our leader Madame Khator , our President and Chancellor,when she says "while others are thinking about turning lemons into lemonade we think about making margaritas" . She is the best at her job in the Nation . Period !

Go Coogs !
04-20-2014 07:22 PM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU

Dude was dealt a bad hand from the get go.
04-20-2014 07:49 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Can someone paste the article?
04-20-2014 07:51 PM
Advertisement

ECUPirated Offline
NAPALMINATOR

I Root For: American Rising
(04-20-2014 07:51 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Can someone paste the article?

ARESCO ARTICLE

Same article in the Sun Sentinel
04-20-2014 08:23 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-20-2014 08:23 PM)ECUPirated Wrote:  
(04-20-2014 07:51 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Can someone paste the article?

ARESCO ARTICLE

Same article in the Sun Sentinel

I like this part: 04-cheers

So it was only fitting that in the minutes following UConn's win over Kentucky for the national championship that Aresco would seek out one person — his wife.
"I gave my wife the longest hug probably in the history of the NCAA basketball," Aresco said in an interview with the Sentinel after announcing the city would host the American Athletic Conference men's basketball tournament in 2016 and 2017. "She knows what we all went through."

"You can never really expect this level of success," Aresco said. "We thought we would be good and have a fighting chance. I don't think anybody can take any swipes at us after what we've done."
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 08:51 PM by BigEastHomer.)
04-20-2014 08:49 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-20-2014 08:49 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  "You can never really expect this level of success," Aresco said. "We thought we would be good and have a fighting chance. I don't think anybody can take any swipes at us after what we've done."

I just don't get this notion of crediting UConn success to the AAC. If Duke was suddenly a member of the MAC next year, and won the national title, it would be silly to characterize that as a MAC victory, right? What would the MAC have had to do with it?

If a school like Michigan State wins the national title, it's fair to give the B1G some credit for that, because MSU is a B1G school through and through. Their program is a product of many years of competing in the B1G. That competition has shaped their program and prepared it for national combat. Same was true of UConn in the old Big East, North Carolina and the ACC, etc.

But that is not true of the AAC, since this is a new conference with radically different membership and of just one year tenure.
04-21-2014 07:22 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The American is the old BE. Uconn built their program in the old BE. Uconn deserves tons of credit for what they built. But the American is their home and should be treated as such.
04-21-2014 07:31 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
(04-21-2014 07:22 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(04-20-2014 08:49 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  "You can never really expect this level of success," Aresco said. "We thought we would be good and have a fighting chance. I don't think anybody can take any swipes at us after what we've done."

I just don't get this notion of crediting UConn success to the AAC. If Duke was suddenly a member of the MAC next year, and won the national title, it would be silly to characterize that as a MAC victory, right? What would the MAC have had to do with it?

If a school like Michigan State wins the national title, it's fair to give the B1G some credit for that, because MSU is a B1G school through and through. Their program is a product of many years of competing in the B1G. That competition has shaped their program and prepared it for national combat. Same was true of UConn in the old Big East, North Carolina and the ACC, etc.

But that is not true of the AAC, since this is a new conference with radically different membership and of just one year tenure.

It's just the sexy storyline and the one that the league is trying to embrace. Journalism can only be written by the quotes you have. Author asked Aresco about what he did after the final buzzer at the championship and Aresco fed him quotes about excitement for the conference. It's hard to spin that to a UConn piece when all the quotes you are getting are American Victory quotes.

Also, going into the tournament the talk was all about SMU being criticized for level of competition. The American's strength was questioned publicly for days before the tournament. Now a member of the same conference won the whole tournament. The author wanted to tap into that already highly publicized topic. It's smart journalism since college athletics is on the back burner currently with the NBA playoffs going on.

As to your point, I agree. Its too soon to tell if this is an indication of long term success for the conference. Next season we take another huge loss in Louisville and Rutgers and adding Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU. None of these teams have the well roundness of Louisville. Just be glad we are winning now. We could have been like the Catholic Big East and laid a stinker in the NCAA.
04-21-2014 07:54 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-21-2014 07:31 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  The American is the old BE. Uconn built their program in the old BE.

But it isn't. And FWIW, the new Big East isn't either. Radically different basketball conferences.
04-21-2014 07:56 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(04-21-2014 07:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 07:31 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  The American is the old BE. Uconn built their program in the old BE.

But it isn't. And FWIW, the new Big East isn't either. Radically different basketball conferences.

Well, Quo---we all know you would proudly lay any losses directly at the feet of the AAC and proclaim them to be indicative of the overall strength of the league. The subtext of your thought process is quite telling. Your perfectly willing to throw "facts" against the wall to tear down the league. Then when the facts don't fit the narrative, the facts are not really the facts. So, how many years does UConn need to be in the AAC to count as an AAC school? And by the way, does the UConn and USF crap seasons in football no longer count against the AAC since they are old Big East schools? Does UCF's Fiesta win actually count for CUSA since that team was recruited to play in CUSA and the team was honed in CUSA making it a legacy CUSA team? So the basic Quo logic is----losses count against the AAC since the narrative says they suck, but wins do not count, becuase the teams all came from other places and the wins really should revert to the previous conference. Lucky there is no agenda behind that shakey argument.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2014 09:15 AM by Attackcoog.)
04-21-2014 08:10 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(04-21-2014 08:10 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Well, Quo---we all know you would proudly lay any losses directly at the feet of the AAC and proclaim them to be indicative of the overall strength of the league. The subtext of your thought process is quite telling.

Hell, after the first games in the NCAAs, Quo was saying that the American struggled. 03-lmfao
04-21-2014 08:25 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(04-21-2014 08:10 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-21-2014 07:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Well, Quo---we all know you would proudly lay any losses directly at the feet of the AAC and proclaim them to be indicative of the overall strength of the league. The subtext of your thought process is quite telling. Your perfectly willing to throw "facts" against the wall to tear down the league. Then when the facts don't fit the narrative, the facts are not really the facts. So, how many years does UConn need to be in the AAC to count as an AAC school? And by the way, does the UConn and USF crap seasons in football no longer count against the AAC since they are old Big East schools? Does UCF's Fiesta win actually count for CUSA since that team was recruited to play in CUSA and the teams was honed in CUSA and is actually a legacy CUSA team? So the basic Quo logic is----losses count against the AAC since the narrative says they suck, but wins do not count, becuase the teams all came from other places and the wins really should revert to the previous conference? Lucky there is no agenda behind that shakey argument.

Drop the mic. Lock the thread.
04-21-2014 08:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.