Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thank you to LaTech's Mike White
Bookmark and Share
AtlantaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Thank you to LaTech's Mike White
For turning down Tennessee & Missouri, & adding credibility to the conference.
Whether it was self-serving or not for staying, White's one of the hottest coaching names out there & he's in our conference.
C-USA basketball can be big. And with the upcoming changes to the P5 autonomy, basketball's the way to go for the non-P5.
Congrats to LaTech for keeping him.
04-29-2014 09:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nastybunch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Thank you to LaTech's Mike White
Ditto
04-29-2014 09:34 AM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
I've never understood why so many of our head coaches --both in football and basketball-- draw so much attention from the bigger schools. If we have a football coach that has just one or 2 decent years (e.g., Gary Crowton, Derek Dooley, Sonny Dykes), a P5 school is almost guaranteed to pursue them hard. Meanwhile, some other pretty good head coaches in the area (e.g., UNT's) --and in the state (e.g., ULL's)-- can't seem to draw flies.

Mike White is special. And we are very grateful to have him coming back.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 10:58 AM by HogDawg.)
04-29-2014 10:57 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
+1 on the OP
04-29-2014 11:28 AM
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
White is waiting for the Ole Miss job.
04-29-2014 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(04-29-2014 12:49 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  White is waiting for the Ole Miss job.
Even if eventually takes the job at Ole Miss, he has increased the stature of the La. Tech position both by his on-court success and by declining at least two other offers from "bigger" programs.
04-29-2014 01:45 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Ditto!
04-29-2014 03:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
It's a gamble on his part.....bottom line.

The SEC is the SEC....equals money that gives you recruiting power.

Until we pay coaches....all of this is irrelevant.

SMU has figured it out.
04-29-2014 04:10 PM
DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
White knows he has a good job at Louisiana Tech and he also knows that he is an EXCELLENT basketball coach. He will make a move when he is ready.
04-29-2014 06:50 PM
Advertisement

stinkfist Offline

(04-29-2014 06:50 PM)DogsWin1 Wrote:  White knows he has a good job at Louisiana Tech and he also knows that he is an EXCELLENT basketball coach. He will make a move when he is ready.

actually, you are just happy to watch what happens next year.....he's rolled the dice.....
04-29-2014 07:15 PM
DogsWin1 Offline
1st String

Yeah, you're right Fist. White was just lucky to even get an interview, much less an offer.

He is only 74-31 (70.5% winning percentage) at Louisiana Tech. He was won or shared his last two conference regular season championships. His father is the Athletics Director at Duke . He is already a multi-millionaire at 37 with a guaranteed MINIMUM of $3.6M over the next 6 years even if he fails miserably the rest of his days at Tech.

Poor Mike White. "Rolling the dice" with the mighty S-E-C. What was he thinking? LOL!!!!
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 08:07 PM by DogsWin1.)
04-29-2014 08:06 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

Doesn't Tech have the bulk of the team back for like year no 3?? If so this is not the time to leave. You guys should have a huge year in 15.
04-29-2014 08:08 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(04-29-2014 08:08 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Doesn't Tech have the bulk of the team back for like year no 3?? If so this is not the time to leave. You guys should have a huge year in 15.

I wouldn't say the bulk of it, but the bulk of the key players are back. Speedy (NCAA top 10 assist and steals), Kyser (NCAA top 10 shot blocker), and Appleby (our leading scorer for 2 1/2 years before his injury) will all be back. Beyond them we're going to need some guys to step up. Leo Edwards will be a redshirt freshman, Erik McCree sat out last season as a transfer from Murray State, and we have 5 freshmen coming in. I expect a great year but we're going to need some new guys to step up for it to happen.
04-29-2014 08:17 PM
Advertisement

winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
(04-29-2014 08:17 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  
(04-29-2014 08:08 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  Doesn't Tech have the bulk of the team back for like year no 3?? If so this is not the time to leave. You guys should have a huge year in 15.

I wouldn't say the bulk of it, but the bulk of the key players are back. Speedy (NCAA top 10 assist and steals), Kyser (NCAA top 10 shot blocker), and Appleby (our leading scorer for 2 1/2 years before his injury) will all be back. Beyond them we're going to need some guys to step up. Leo Edwards will be a redshirt freshman, Erik McCree sat out last season as a transfer from Murray State, and we have 5 freshmen coming in. I expect a great year but we're going to need some new guys to step up for it to happen.

Hamilton is was a pretty good starter for us last year and still has 2 more years.
04-29-2014 08:55 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

(04-29-2014 09:30 AM)AtlantaEagle Wrote:  For turning down Tennessee & Missouri, & adding credibility to the conference.
Whether it was self-serving or not for staying, White's one of the hottest coaching names out there & he's in our conference.
C-USA basketball can be big. And with the upcoming changes to the P5 autonomy, basketball's the way to go for the non-P5.
Congrats to LaTech for keeping him.

I don't recall Missouri making an offer to White. Did I miss something?
04-29-2014 09:22 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(04-29-2014 08:55 PM)winston70 Wrote:  
(04-29-2014 08:17 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  

Hamilton is was a pretty good starter for us last year and still has 2 more years.

Duh....forgot all about him.
04-29-2014 09:39 PM
stinkfist Offline

(04-29-2014 08:06 PM)DogsWin1 Wrote:  Yeah, you're right Fist. White was just lucky to even get an interview, much less an offer.

He is only 74-31 (70.5% winning percentage) at Louisiana Tech. He was won or shared his last two conference regular season championships. His father is the Athletics Director at Duke . He is already a multi-millionaire at 37 with a guaranteed MINIMUM of $3.6M over the next 6 years even if he fails miserably the rest of his days at Tech.

Poor Mike White. "Rolling the dice" with the mighty S-E-C. What was he thinking? LOL!!!!

I meant no disrespect....but, if speedy and or hamilton suffer an injury, it is the narcissistic part of the ego that will be put on hold.....

I know the guy can coach AND recruit...

I wish him nothing but the best chief.....you can look up any post I have made in the past....I have only good wishes towards your program.
04-30-2014 01:55 AM
Advertisement

T_Won1 Offline
All American

(04-30-2014 01:55 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(04-29-2014 08:06 PM)DogsWin1 Wrote:  Yeah, you're right Fist. White was just lucky to even get an interview, much less an offer.

I meant no disrespect....but, if speedy and or hamilton suffer an injury, it is the narcissistic part of the ego that will be put on hold.....

I know the guy can coach AND recruit...

I wish him nothing but the best chief.....you can look up any post I have made in the past....I have only good wishes towards your program.

I know where you're coming from. White's kind of like a great Junior football player who's passing on a first round draft pick so he can play his Senior year of college ball. Hope he doesn't get hurt! There is some risk. But White's a smart guy and I think he knows what he's doing.
04-30-2014 06:27 AM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

(04-29-2014 04:10 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  It's a gamble on his part.....bottom line.

The SEC is the SEC....equals money that gives you recruiting power.

Until we pay coaches....all of this is irrelevant.

SMU has figured it out.

There is no doubt that White's turning down Tennessee was a gamble on his part. I was very surprised when he did it. White was involved in a very serious accident while returning from the Final Four in Dallas. In a driving rainstorm, the vehicle he was riding in hydroplaned and flipped on I-20. Though he wasn't, he could easily have been hurt really badly. I've wondered if this close call affected his decision at all. Sometimes an experience like that will really put a person's priorities in proper order.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 06:35 AM by BRtransplant.)
04-30-2014 06:33 AM
SethManKA1 Offline
2nd String

Had commish BB have stepped up and fought to promote this conference, USM might have made the NCAA tournament and thus helped us in keeping Tyndall.

SMTTT
05-03-2014 04:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.