Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA, AAC, and SBC make your best Conference of 20!
Dawg87 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LA Tech
CUSA, AAC, and SBC make your best Conference of 20!
I know this about to stir up a hornets nest, but after reading a few threads today it can't be much worse. I've read so many comparison theories today between AAC, CUSA and Sunbelt. Honestly, as of today the AAC has a pretty big gap on us but many of us have shared a conference at some point in time with schools in all 3 conferences. Of the 3 conferences who would be your top 20 teams if you could form one super conference together? Just for kicks figure that no one will be picked off in realignment and your are trying to make your best long term conference to compete.

Personally I like this line up:
From CUSA:
Rice
LA Tech
USM
Marshall
MTU
ODU
WKU
UNT
UTSA

From SBC:
Ark State
ULL

From AAC:
ECU
UH
UCF
Cincy
UCONN
Tulsa
Tulane
Memphis
SMU
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 01:57 PM by Dawg87.)
05-12-2014 01:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: CUSA, AAC, and SBC make your best Conference of 20!
no
05-12-2014 02:04 PM
WhyIsTheRumGone Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU
[Image: The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif]
05-12-2014 02:10 PM
Dracorex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
You only have 33 posts but we don't do realignment threads on the main boards... they have a separate forum for this crap. It is in the lounge tab.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 02:15 PM by Dracorex.)
05-12-2014 02:15 PM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
You need to at least include a reason why anyone in the AAC would prefer this.
05-12-2014 02:30 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

Who wants 20. 12 is the optimum number.

UConn
Cincy
UCF
ECU
USF
Tulsa
Houston
SMU
Tulane
Temple
Navy

That looks about perfect. The only one I'd consider changing is Tulane and they just went to a bowl and got a brand new stadium being built.
05-12-2014 02:32 PM
Advertisement

Dawg87 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LA Tech
Ouch! I guess this just needed to stay in my head LOL

Never said anyone in the AAC would prefer this, just me I reckon!
05-12-2014 02:36 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
This is the same as asking which are your best conference of 20 from CUSA and SBC, since none of the AAC schools would be willing to play.

But if CUSA wanted a conference of 20, they could have just invited up enough SBC schools that the SBC ceased to be viable as an FBS conference, a la the WAC.

So we know that the CUSA schools don't want to play either.

Given the premise, it's:

All of the AAC, including Navy FB-only.
The three best schools from the SBC
The five best schools from CUSA
05-12-2014 02:36 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(05-12-2014 02:36 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  This is the same as asking which are your best conference of 20 from CUSA and SBC, since none of the AAC schools would be willing to play.

But if CUSA wanted a conference of 20, they could have just invited up enough SBC schools that the SBC ceased to be viable as an FBS conference, a la the WAC.

Given the premise, it's:

Most of the best AAC expansion targets currently reside in the Mountain/Pacific time zones.
05-12-2014 02:41 PM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
If the "money grab" is as inevitable as it seems, it makes some sense to take the schools with the largest budgets and call it a day.
05-12-2014 02:47 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(05-12-2014 02:36 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  This is the same as asking which are your best conference of 20 from CUSA and SBC, since none of the AAC schools would be willing to play.

Given the premise, it's:

We're not inviting anyone from those conferences as long as we don't lose anyone.

Our expansion targets are small in number and have some star power (BYU, Boise, SDSU)
05-12-2014 02:51 PM
Advertisement

1845 Bear Offline

I Root For: Baylor
So the AAC and the best 10 of the others to make travel and competition work?
TEXAS QUAD
Rice
UNT
UTSA
SMU
UH

SOUTH QUAD
Tulane
USM
Memphis
ArkSt
Tulsa

Coast Quad
UCF
USF
ECU
ODU
Charlotte

East Quad

Cincy
UConn
Temple
Navy (FB ONLY- Find a decent hoops option without FB)
Army (FB ONLY- Find a decent hoops option without FB)
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 03:10 PM by 1845 Bear.)
05-12-2014 03:02 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(05-12-2014 02:51 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  

Given the premise, it's:

We're not inviting anyone from those conferences as long as we don't lose anyone.

Our expansion targets are small in number and have some star power (BYU, Boise, SDSU)

Why those 3? Didn't you guys learn from past experiences? BYU is a big no since they would rather be independent and play a national schedule than joining a G5 conference. The main reasons? Utah and the LDS Church. I can see Utah and BYU fans comparing schedules.

BYU fan: "We have ECU, Temple, SMU, Tulane, South Florida and Memphis coming to Provo for conference games"

Utah fan: "Oh that's cute. We have USC, Oregon, Arizona State, Washington, Stanford and Colorado at home"

If BYU ever joins a conference would be the MWC but even then they have home and home series with several MWC school in the future that it makes no sense to join said conference. The LDS Church has made it clear they want to play a national schedule for exposure purposes. So BYU is a non starter.

Boise already decomitted from joining the Big East/AAC and if it's forced to pay the $5 million exit fee, they won't be interested at all. San Diego State is not worth enough for being the only Western school in an Eastern based conference. Fresno, Colorado State, UNLV and especially Air Force have been on record they're not interested. The only choices the AAC has once it loses members it's from C-USA and UMass. I can see Old Dominion being a good choice down the road.
05-12-2014 03:06 PM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-12-2014 02:32 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Who wants 20. 12 is the optimum number.

UConn
Cincy
UCF
ECU
USF
Tulsa
Houston
SMU
Tulane
Temple
Navy

That looks about perfect. The only one I'd consider changing is Tulane and they just went to a bowl and got a brand new stadium being built.

Considering UConn and UC want out the first chance they get, and Tulane and Temple are pitiful in just about every sport, I can see why the AAC is a cluster****.03-puke
05-12-2014 03:20 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-12-2014 03:06 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  

Given the premise, it's:

Why those 3? Didn't you guys learn from past experiences? BYU is a big no since they would rather be independent and play a national schedule than joining a G5 conference. The main reasons? Utah and the LDS Church. I can see Utah and BYU fans comparing schedules.

BYU fan: "We have ECU, Temple, SMU, Tulane, South Florida and Memphis coming to Provo for conference games"

Utah fan: "Oh that's cute. We have USC, Oregon, Arizona State, Washington, Stanford and Colorado at home"

If BYU ever joins a conference would be the MWC but even then they have home and home series with several MWC school in the future that it makes no sense to join said conference. The LDS Church has made it clear they want to play a national schedule for exposure purposes. So BYU is a non starter.

Boise already decomitted from joining the Big East/AAC and if it's forced to pay the $5 million exit fee, they won't be interested at all. San Diego State is not worth enough for being the only Western school in an Eastern based conference. Fresno, Colorado State, UNLV and especially Air Force have been on record they're not interested. The only choices the AAC has once it loses members it's from C-USA and UMass. I can see Old Dominion being a good choice down the road.

The biggest problem in the Big East attempt to take western schools was not taking enough to make a viable western division and offering football only memberships (which forced western schools to downgrade thier Olympic sports). If you give 5 MW schools all sports invites you have a nice nationwide conference with some regional rivalries within the pods.

West

SDSU
Fresno
Boise
UNLV
BYU/AF/New Mexico (take one)

Central

Houston
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa
Texas State, ULL, or Arky St

SE

ECU
UCF
USF
Memphis
ODU

North

Cinci
UConn
Navy
Temple
Army or UMass

I think something like this is possible--you can play with the tams a bit--but this is the general idea. Lots of good G5 programs. Lots of markets. Good basketball and football.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 03:38 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-12-2014 03:21 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(05-12-2014 03:20 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  Considering UConn and UC want out the first chance they get, and Tulane and Temple are pitiful in just about every sport, I can see why the AAC is a cluster****.03-puke

And, funny enough, still considered light years above C-USA.
05-12-2014 03:22 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2014 03:20 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 02:32 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  Who wants 20. 12 is the optimum number.

UConn
Cincy
UCF
ECU
USF
Tulsa
Houston
SMU
Tulane
Temple
Navy

Considering UConn and UC want out the first chance they get, and Tulane and Temple are pitiful in just about every sport, I can see why the AAC is a cluster****.03-puke

I want to bang Scarlett Johanson, doesn't mean it's going to happen. Where are they going? The Big 12 doesn't want them, they didn't even want Louisville. the ACC has 14 teams and a grant of rights until 2027 or so where each team would forfeit hundreds of millions of dollars and all these conference have just negotiated decade long TV deals.

Even if someone suddenly changed their mind and they did leave we'd just grab the best of CUSA if we wanted them. As far as Tulane and Temple still have more money than just about everyone in CUSA. Temple has won bowls and games in the NCAA in the last 3 years too. CUSA doesn't even have a NCAA win the last 3 years between 14 teams.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 03:31 PM by StillJonesing.)
05-12-2014 03:29 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-12-2014 03:20 PM)SVHerd Wrote:  

UConn
Cincy
UCF
ECU
USF
Tulsa
Houston
SMU
Tulane
Temple
Navy

lol....You mad bro?
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 03:45 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-12-2014 03:42 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(05-12-2014 03:21 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Given the premise, it's:

The biggest problem in the Big Rast attempt to take western schools was not taking enough to make a viable western division and offering football only memberships (which forced western schools to downgrade thier Olympic sports). If you give 5 MW schools all sports invites you have a nice nationwide conference with some regional rivalries within the pods.

West

SDSU
Fresno
Boise
UNLV

Central

Houston
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa

SE

ECU
UCF
USF
Memphis
ODU

North

Cinci
UConn
Navy
Temple
Army or UMass

I think something like this is possible--you can play with the tams a bit--but this is the general idea. Lots of good G5 programs. Lots of markets. Good basketball and football.

The AAC won't raid the MWC. You lost the carrot that made you attractive: a spot in the big boy table. Boise has the best deal in the G5, BYU is a non starter for the reasons I mentioned above, Air Force already said no and the others will not go by themselves. The MWC is set at 12 and is stable for now. The only way they'll expand is if BYU is interested which is very unlikely. #14 is a combo of UTEP, NMSU and Idaho which UTEP would say yes in a NY minute. But without BYU they don't need to expand. The only realistic chances are UMass and C-USA schools.
05-12-2014 03:46 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-12-2014 03:46 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(05-12-2014 03:21 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Given the premise, it's:

The biggest problem in the Big Rast attempt to take western schools was not taking enough to make a viable western division and offering football only memberships (which forced western schools to downgrade thier Olympic sports). If you give 5 MW schools all sports invites you have a nice nationwide conference with some regional rivalries within the pods.

West

SDSU
Fresno
Boise
UNLV

Central

Houston
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa

SE

ECU
UCF
USF
Memphis
ODU

North

Cinci
UConn
Navy
Temple
Army or UMass

The AAC won't raid the MWC. You lost the carrot that made you attractive: a spot in the big boy table. Boise has the best deal in the G5, BYU is a non starter for the reasons I mentioned above, Air Force already said no and the others will not go by themselves. The MWC is set at 12 and is stable for now. The only way they'll expand is if BYU is interested which is very unlikely. #14 is a combo of UTEP, NMSU and Idaho which UTEP would say yes in a NY minute. But without BYU they don't need to expand. The only realistic chances are UMass and C-USA schools.

You are forgetting San Diego State. They wanted to stay in the AAC even after Boise State agreed to stay with the MWC and the automatic qualifying tag was removed; but the AAC and SDSU mutually agreed to the split. I am not sure that SDSU would jump at a chance to be in the AAC again especially if BYU came too. I actually believe that the SDSU administration was actually looking to get a full western win formed in the AAC, but other potential MWC did not agree to it.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 03:55 PM by PirateMarv.)
05-12-2014 03:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.