Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If Universities begin paying students to play sports
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
If Universities begin paying students to play sports
If this comes to pass, I'm never watch any college sports again. If I want to watch any sports, it will be the pros. I feel that the academic side is pushed to the side too much as it is for our so called "student athletes". If they're paid to play sports, it will be unacceptable IMHO. It's bad enough that the majority of them couldn't hack a basic college course of study as it is, but to PAY them to attend school? bull****.

Also, I'll restrict all future posting activity to the spin room only. I should spend more time over there anyways.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 01:18 PM by miko33.)
05-31-2014 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
RE: If Universities begin paying students to play sports
Well, at least now we know how to get rid of you. Just saying, i'm a little torn as I love amateur athletics, but not having to read your tripe would be worth the compromise.
05-31-2014 01:22 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I think the monetization and all of the whole thing is a crying shame. At the same time, given how the whole thing operates it's a major shame for the kids who are like cattle.

It needs to get back to being about educating these kids. That would require the NFL to help and we all know that won't happen.
05-31-2014 01:27 PM
Knightsweat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OU & UCF
(05-31-2014 01:27 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think the monetization and all of the whole thing is a crying shame. At the same time, given how the whole thing operates it's a major shame for the kids who are like cattle.

It needs to get back to being about educating these kids. That would require the NFL to help and we all know that won't happen.

Truth. 04-cheers
05-31-2014 01:29 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Interesting...some "Champion" the NCAA, College Conferences collecting literally "Billions" off of TV Media Deals and Video Game featuring the "Student-Athletes" and their likeness but the minute the idea of Full Cost of Attendance comes up they give up on their viewing habits...ok....07-coffee3
05-31-2014 01:44 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(05-31-2014 01:44 PM)Maize Wrote:  Interesting...some "Champion" the NCAA, College Conferences collecting literally "Billions" off of TV Media Deals and Video Game featuring the "Student-Athletes" and their likeness but the minute the idea of Full Cost of Attendance comes up they give up on their viewing habits...ok....07-coffee3

Not everyone collects billions you know.

We are in a situation where the richest in the NCAA declare that it is the poor who are preventing them from being generous! As if the P5 have never had any power in the NCAA to stop the marketing of likenesses in video games and jerseys and huge tv contracts.

Those rotten poor schools have been forcing the wealthy to exploit college athletes and make billions!

The solution is to turn over all of the power to the privileged schools for the benefit of the student-athletes and cut the poor schools out of having a say-so and stop them from forcing the wealthy to do such vile greedy things.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 02:35 PM by ark30inf.)
05-31-2014 02:34 PM
Advertisement

TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
ark30inf is right AGAIN !!!!
05-31-2014 05:03 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(05-31-2014 01:27 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think the monetization and all of the whole thing is a crying shame. At the same time, given how the whole thing operates it's a major shame for the kids who are like cattle.

Agree. Most kids playing in the money sports shouldn't be there in the first place. That's the real travesty here. Filling a kids head with making it to the pros, guiding him down a path of a worthless major with "jock level" courses and sending him on his way to the real world when he fails to latch onto a pro team...this is the real injustice. Paying him for 5 years of school is a joke.

I hardly watch college sports now because I know it's a farce. But I can't completely pull the plug for some reason.
06-01-2014 07:03 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(05-31-2014 01:29 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  

Truth. 04-cheers

Unfortunately, greed got his/her filthy hands on college football and this is potentially the end result.
06-01-2014 07:15 AM
Tbringer Offline
Banned

I Root For: FBS
The money has been pouring in and just a few reaping that reward. Now that the people who have been actually generating the money want some of it, suddenly its an issue and would "ruin" college sports if they were to get a portion more in line with what is being brought in--along with things like food and insurance guarantees, and a better educational experience which it is all purportedly about anyway.

No one thinks that "college athletics are ruined forever" If the AD at Alabama collects a $160,000 bonus when the student athletes on a minor sports team wins a championship, or when Nick Saban cashes his $ 7 million while his football players were guaranteed one meal per day during the week. Yet if those athletes want a greater voice in decisions that affect them directly, guarantees of an education instead of rhetoric, and a share of the enormous revenues they are bringing in--it's suddenly a disaster?

Why would any fan care if the players on the field were getting more than they do now? How does that affect anything the fan is there to see?
06-01-2014 08:44 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-01-2014 08:44 AM)Tbringer Wrote:  The money has been pouring in and just a few reaping that reward. Now that the people who have been actually generating the money want some of it, suddenly its an issue and would "ruin" college sports if they were to get a portion more in line with what is being brought in--along with things like food and insurance guarantees, and a better educational experience which it is all purportedly about anyway.

No one thinks that "college athletics are ruined forever" If the AD at Alabama collects a $160,000 bonus when the student athletes on a minor sports team wins a championship, or when Nick Saban cashes his $ 7 million while his football players were guaranteed one meal per day during the week. Yet if those athletes want a greater voice in decisions that affect them directly, guarantees of an education instead of rhetoric, and a share of the enormous revenues they are bringing in--it's suddenly a disaster?

Why would any fan care if the players on the field were getting more than they do now? How does that affect anything the fan is there to see?

I think the issue is that its not about the student-athlete. It is about cynically using the student-athlete to further concentrate power and money within the oligarchy.

Nobody is jumping up and saying...hey, these poor student-athletes at Grambling have no roof, and got MRSA, and have crappy weight-rooms....lets fix that with some of these billions!

No. Its, hey....the 5-star future millionaire student-athletes at P5 school who shower in gold-plated locker rooms ought to get money to attend P5 school. So we need to cut the student-athletes at Grambling out of the whole process and not give them any sort of say-so or any real cut of the cash because they are too poor to vote for our plan.

Because some animals are more equal than others.
06-01-2014 05:45 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-01-2014 05:45 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 08:44 AM)Tbringer Wrote:  The money has been pouring in and just a few reaping that reward. Now that the people who have been actually generating the money want some of it, suddenly its an issue and would "ruin" college sports if they were to get a portion more in line with what is being brought in--along with things like food and insurance guarantees, and a better educational experience which it is all purportedly about anyway.

I think the issue is that its not about the student-athlete. It is about cynically using the student-athlete to further concentrate power and money within the oligarchy.

Nobody is jumping up and saying...hey, these poor student-athletes at Grambling have no roof, and got MRSA, and have crappy weight-rooms....lets fix that with some of these billions!

No. Its, hey....the 5-star future millionaire student-athletes at P5 school who shower in gold-plated locker rooms ought to get money to attend P5 school. So we need to cut the student-athletes at Grambling out of the whole process and not give them any sort of say-so or any real cut of the cash because they are too poor to vote for our plan.

Because some animals are more equal than others.

In reality you have that now-(just look at the facilities at Alabama, Tennessee & Oregon).

Really in the end it is up to the individual school/conference. If they chose to give out Full Cost of Attendance so be it....or they can continue the current system at a school like Grambling, Idaho or a Ball State.
06-01-2014 06:22 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
If everyone put their full cost of attendance where their mouths were, there'd be a lot more talk about Division III sports around here. But I don't see any Eastern Mennonite or St. John's Fisher boards 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 06:28 PM by Cyniclone.)
06-01-2014 06:27 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-01-2014 06:22 PM)Maize Wrote:  In reality you have that now-(just look at the facilities at Alabama, Tennessee & Oregon).

Really in the end it is up to the individual school/conference. If they chose to give out Full Cost of Attendance so be it....or they can continue the current system at a school like Grambling, Idaho or a Ball State.

Sure you have it now. But Slive and Delaney popping up talking about how it is their concern for the student-athlete that is driving their actions is ludicrous. Yet people just sit and nod in agreement.

If it were concern for the "student-athlete" then they would be advocating that the NCAA take care of the student-athletes! All of them. Give them all a share of NCAA revenue. It is after all a non-profit organization allegedly for the purpose of promoting amateur college athletics and helping student-athletes. Allegedly.

But that's not what they mean. They don't mean all student-athletes. Some athletes need to be taken care of....their 5-star football players....other football players can follow along if their school can afford it...otherwise....screw 'em. Lacrosse student-athletes, women's tennis student-athletes, and soccer student-athletes.....are on their own.

They are also acting as if they have had no power in the NCAA. As if the poor schools somehow forced them to make billions off of amateur athletes and forced the NCAA to make profits off of their likenesses and that the poor schools need to now be completely stripped of their power in perpetuity so that the benevolent P5 can rule for a change.

What horse crap. Do we have any evidence that the P5 banded together and insisted that the EA Sports game stop using player likenesses and were overruled by the non-P5 schools? Do we really believe that if the P5 had insisted that the NCAA stop doing that...that they wouldn't have gotten their way?
06-01-2014 06:58 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-01-2014 06:58 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(06-01-2014 06:22 PM)Maize Wrote:  In reality you have that now-(just look at the facilities at Alabama, Tennessee & Oregon).

Sure you have it now. But Slive and Delaney popping up talking about how it is their concern for the student-athlete that is driving their actions is ludicrous. Yet people just sit and nod in agreement.

If it were concern for the "student-athlete" then they would be advocating that the NCAA take care of the student-athletes! All of them. Give them all a share of NCAA revenue. It is after all a non-profit organization allegedly for the purpose of promoting amateur college athletics and helping student-athletes. Allegedly.

But that's not what they mean. They don't mean all student-athletes. Some athletes need to be taken care of....their 5-star football players....other football players can follow along if their school can afford it...otherwise....screw 'em. Lacrosse student-athletes, women's tennis student-athletes, and soccer student-athletes.....are on their own.

They are also acting as if they have had no power in the NCAA. As if the poor schools somehow forced them to make billions off of amateur athletes and forced the NCAA to make profits off of their likenesses and that the poor schools need to now be completely stripped of their power in perpetuity so that the benevolent P5 can rule for a change.

What horse crap. Do we have any evidence that the P5 banded together and insisted that the EA Sports game stop using player likenesses and were overruled by the non-P5 schools? Do we really believe that if the P5 had insisted that the NCAA stop doing that...that they wouldn't have gotten their way?

I actually agree with you...it is a shell game...
06-01-2014 07:05 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(06-01-2014 06:58 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

I know it is all bull$hit. I thought everyone did.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 07:09 PM by TerryD.)
06-01-2014 07:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mac6115cd Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
It will be interesting (and maybe sad) to see what Slive and Delaney's end game is. Once they achieve autonomy, then we should see where they're headed.

Perhaps they envision the next evolution of college football to be an NFL semi-pro style with greater player/school freedom:
- No penalty for transfers
- Extend player eligibility to 7 years
- Allow teams to trade players
- Make recuiting into a college "draft day" vs signing day
- Expanded playoffs
- Partner schools with NFL teams (minor league-style)

People with enormous egos (Slive and Delaney) want to leave their legacy. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 01:28 PM by mac6115cd.)
06-03-2014 01:13 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(05-31-2014 01:18 PM)miko33 Wrote:  If this comes to pass, I'm never watch any college sports again. If I want to watch any sports, it will be the pros. I feel that the academic side is pushed to the side too much as it is for our so called "student athletes". If they're paid to play sports, it will be unacceptable IMHO. It's bad enough that the majority of them couldn't hack a basic college course of study as it is, but to PAY them to attend school? bull****.

Also, I'll restrict all future posting activity to the spin room only. I should spend more time over there anyways.

(05-31-2014 01:22 PM)Knightsweat Wrote:  Well, at least now we know how to get rid of you. Just saying, i'm a little torn as I love amateur athletics, but not having to read your tripe would be worth the compromise.

Bazinga
06-03-2014 03:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-31-2014 02:34 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 01:44 PM)Maize Wrote:  Interesting...some "Champion" the NCAA, College Conferences collecting literally "Billions" off of TV Media Deals and Video Game featuring the "Student-Athletes" and their likeness but the minute the idea of Full Cost of Attendance comes up they give up on their viewing habits...ok....07-coffee3

We are in a situation where the richest in the NCAA declare that it is the poor who are preventing them from being generous! As if the P5 have never had any power in the NCAA to stop the marketing of likenesses in video games and jerseys and huge tv contracts.

Those rotten poor schools have been forcing the wealthy to exploit college athletes and make billions!

The solution is to turn over all of the power to the privileged schools for the benefit of the student-athletes and cut the poor schools out of having a say-so and stop them from forcing the wealthy to do such vile greedy things.

Why do people keep forgetting that the NCAA has nothing to do with FBS football and get no money from FBS TV contracts and the such.
06-03-2014 03:51 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

Re: RE: If Universities begin paying students to play sports
(06-03-2014 03:51 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(05-31-2014 02:34 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Why do people keep forgetting that the NCAA has nothing to do with FBS football and get no money from FBS TV contracts and the such.

It is an association of members for the tax-exempt purpose of promoting amateur college athletics.

It could do whatever its membership cared about it doing. Like treating all college athletes equally and using resources for their welfare.
06-03-2014 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.