Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stonehenge Discovery 'Blows Lid Off' Old Theories
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Stonehenge Discovery 'Blows Lid Off' Old Theories
Quote:From who built it to what it was used for, Stonehenge is surrounded by many enduring mysteries -- and researchers from the University of Buckingham in England now say they've solved one of them.

"For years people have been asking why is Stonehenge where it is, now at last, we have found the answers,” David Jacques, an archaeology research fellow at the university, said in a written statement.

Last October, Jacques led an archaeological dig at a site 1.5 miles from Stonehenge. His team unearthed flint tools and the bones of aurochs, extinct cow-like animals that were a food source for ancient people. Carbon dating of the bones showed that modern-day Amesbury, an area that includes the dig site and Stonehenge itself, has been continuously occupied since 8820 B.C. Amesbury has now been declared the oldest continually occupied area in Britain.

The finding suggests that Stonehenge was built by indigenous Britons who had lived in the area for thousands of years. Previous theories held that the monument was built in an empty landscape by migrants from continental Europe.

"The site blows the lid off the Neolithic Revolution in a number of ways," Jacques said in the statement, referring to the assumption that those migrants drove Britain's transition from a hunter-gatherer to a farming society in the 6th millennium B.C. "It provides evidence for people staying put, clearing land, building, and presumably worshipping, monuments."

The researchers say evidence suggests that before erecting Stonehenge, people living in the area set up gigantic timbers between 8820 and 6590 B.C. -- a sort of wooden precursor to the stone monument. Jacques likened the area to a "Stonehenge Visitor's Center," where visitors from far and wide came to feast and tour the site with local guides.

"The area was clearly a hub point for people to come to from many miles away, and in many ways was a forerunner for what later went on at Stonehenge itself," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/09...89118.html
06-05-2014 10:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
RE: Stonehenge Discovery 'Blows Lid Off' Old Theories
cool stuff
06-05-2014 10:42 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
When I was at Stonehenge and surrounding area do not recall the
theory of it being European visitors that had built it but local
tribes.
06-05-2014 12:11 PM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I don't remember crap about going. I was 8 and it was 40° and raining, perfect summer weather.
06-05-2014 12:16 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Nat Geo has a pretty compelling documentary where expert Mike Parker Pearson gives his theory. It was a few years back that I saw it, but here it is. Worth watching if you are interested.

http://natgeotv.com.au/tv/stonehenge-decoded/
06-05-2014 12:22 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(06-05-2014 12:16 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I don't remember crap about going. I was 8 and it was 40° and raining, perfect summer weather.

Not surprised it was raining at all.
06-06-2014 12:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.