Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nebraska-Wisconsin gets a trophy.
Bookmark and Share
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Nebraska-Wisconsin gets a trophy.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogp...en&id=1106

Ugh! This is worst than the heroes trophy they created for Neb-Iowa.

But hey its the BigTen! The league where every game gets a trophy.

I am sure this means Rut-MD, Rut-PSU, and MD-PSU will soon have trophies.
11-11-2014 08:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: Nebraska-Wisconsin gets a trophy.
What's the trophy for OSU / Indiana? I believe that might be one of the most historic rivalries in college FB.
11-11-2014 08:40 AM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(11-11-2014 08:40 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  What's the trophy for OSU / Indiana? I believe that might be one of the most historic rivalries in college FB.

Strangely enough there is no trophy for OSU-Mich or OSU-MSU or OSU-Indy, but there is the ILLIBUCK trophy for OSU-ILL, who do not even play every year.
11-11-2014 01:46 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-11-2014 01:46 PM)goofus Wrote:  
(11-11-2014 08:40 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  What's the trophy for OSU / Indiana? I believe that might be one of the most historic rivalries in college FB.

Strangely enough there is no trophy for OSU-Mich or OSU-MSU or OSU-Indy, but there is the ILLIBUCK trophy for OSU-ILL, who do not even play every year.
How strange it seems that there is an Illibuck but not an OSU-MSU or OSU-Indy likely depends on how far back your memory goes. The OSU-Illini rivalry in the 80's, for example, was quite important. IIRC, the Illini knocked OSU out of the national championship hunt two or three times in that decade.

By contrast, if there was an OSU-Indiana trophy, it would have to be a replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, since it may be a historic series, but its quite lop-sided. I expect sometime in this century Indiana will get up to 10 wins in that series, as long as we keep playing FB in the Big Ten after we have to replace Rutgers and Maryland due to the flooding.

As far as The Game, no supporter from either side needs any trophy to remind them who won The Game. A trophy for The Game would be gilding the Lily.
11-11-2014 09:46 PM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(11-11-2014 01:46 PM)goofus Wrote:  

Ohio State-Illinois used to be the season ending game for both teams. It was a fierce rivalry when Robert Zuppke and John Wilce patrolled the sidelines. Then, the game passed Zuppke by and Michigan kept pace (by changing coaches, Zuppke was one of those coaches who lasted too long but his past success dictated that the school couldn't fire him) and thus Ohio State-Michigan became the last game.

Of course, the Big 10 loves the trophies. PSU has way too many trophies games as a cheap way to promote rivalries. Trophies didn't improve the Minnesota and Michigan State games.
11-11-2014 11:19 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Had this discussion on another board, but almost all newer ones of these are terrible. If you want to have a trophy that people get excited playing for (and not just one that's just there), you cannot have generic sounding names and trophies that are very interchangeable. It needs to be something that stands out, an object, an animal, something with some substance. If you aren't going to do that, then please don't bother with one at all as it kind of de-emphasizes the ones that are there. Also, not every game needs a trophy either. Ohio State does not have one with Michigan and after a 100 years in conference has only one period.

Northwestern/Illinois: This is the only newish trophy I like. They played a long time for the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk and still should be, but political correctness got in the way. Fortunately the current one is actually kind of neat with with a giant Lincoln top hat.

If we are going for new trophies (and replacements), here are my (very quick) thoughts:

Nebraska/Wisconsin: In the press release they tried to play on the military a little. You have 2 stadiums that are on old military locations or a Memorial Stadium. If you want to go that route, how about a Civil War era cannon replica or something.

Penn State: Retire the ones with Minnesota and Michigan State. Neither has worked or ever meant anything.

Penn State/Maryland/Rutgers: Do something a bit different with the 3 eastern teams. Have a 3 way trophy like the academies do and in the event of a tie, the previous winner maintains. I've seen a few suggestions around related to this and I kind of like the idea of getting a giant ore and calling it Washington's Oar (for the crossing of the Delaware). It plays on the fact all 3 states were colonial states. Also Delaware is surrounded by those 3 states and only those 3 states. Alternatively, you could have a giant Delaware statue and say you are actually playing for Delaware.
11-12-2014 12:27 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I like the Washington's Oar trophy idea.

I expect if U Delaware ever wanted to go FBS, they would get a spot made for them in the MAC, given that they are now pre-positioned to be in the shadow of the Big Ten.
11-12-2014 01:48 AM
Advertisement

Jimmy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rutgers
(11-12-2014 12:27 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Alternatively, you could have a giant Delaware statue and say you are actually playing for Delaware.

I like it. "Delaware Bay Champions"
11-12-2014 03:16 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(11-12-2014 12:27 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Had this discussion on another board, but almost all newer ones of these are terrible. If you want to have a trophy that people get excited playing for (and not just one that's just there), you cannot have generic sounding names and trophies that are very interchangeable. It needs to be something that stands out, an object, an animal, something with some substance. If you aren't going to do that, then please don't bother with one at all as it kind of de-emphasizes the ones that are there. Also, not every game needs a trophy either. Ohio State does not have one with Michigan and after a 100 years in conference has only one period.

Northwestern/Illinois: This is the only newish trophy I like. They played a long time for the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk and still should be, but political correctness got in the way. Fortunately the current one is actually kind of neat with with a giant Lincoln top hat.

If we are going for new trophies (and replacements), here are my (very quick) thoughts:

Nebraska/Wisconsin: In the press release they tried to play on the military a little. You have 2 stadiums that are on old military locations or a Memorial Stadium. If you want to go that route, how about a Civil War era cannon replica or something.

Penn State: Retire the ones with Minnesota and Michigan State. Neither has worked or ever meant anything.

Penn State/Maryland/Rutgers: Do something a bit different with the 3 eastern teams. Have a 3 way trophy like the academies do and in the event of a tie, the previous winner maintains. I've seen a few suggestions around related to this and I kind of like the idea of getting a giant ore and calling it Washington's Oar (for the crossing of the Delaware). It plays on the fact all 3 states were colonial states. Also Delaware is surrounded by those 3 states and only those 3 states. Alternatively, you could have a giant Delaware statue and say you are actually playing for Delaware.

I love the Washington idea. He fought major battles in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania and the Maryland Line (along with the Delaware Line) were the finest soldiers in the Continental Army. That is why Maryland is called the Old Line State.
11-12-2014 03:54 PM
Doctor Krieger Offline
1st String

I Root For: :)
I refuse to acknowledge any other UW trophy than the Axe.
11-12-2014 07:20 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
Agreed that a 3 way trophy would be the most interesting for Maryland/Rutgers/Penn State.

In other news, Rutgers and Seton Hall have announced that our long-running, heated basketball rivalry is to be officially branded as the Garden State Hardwood Classic and will feature a trophy that will have its base made from recovered wood from the Asbury Park boardwalk. The wood was part of the boardwalk segment that was washed out by Hurricane Sandy, which gives a unique flair to the trophy.
http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-b...14aac.html
11-12-2014 08:48 PM
ohio1317 Offline

That's kind of neat. Just some actual history or something on these makes a lot of difference.
11-12-2014 10:41 PM
ohio1317 Offline

(11-12-2014 07:20 PM)Doctor Krieger Wrote:  I refuse to acknowledge any other UW trophy than the Axe.

It probably is the neatest trophy out there. The only one that compares in my mind is the Floyd of Rosedale and the Axe is still better.
11-12-2014 10:44 PM
Advertisement

AntiG Offline
1st String

it should get renamed the Melvin Gordon trophy. Holy crap @ his numbers today.
11-15-2014 06:48 PM
Doctor Krieger Offline
1st String

I Root For: :)
Aside from the first ten minutes of the game, that was an extremely fun game to watch haha.
11-15-2014 07:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.