Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the Current CFP Top 10 is the Final CFP Top 10, Louisville to the Orange Bowl
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
If the Current CFP Top 10 is the Final CFP Top 10, Louisville to the Orange Bowl
Alabama and Mississippi State in the Semifinals.
(Ohio State is Big Ten champ, can't go to Orange)
Next SEC/B1G/ND team in the rankings is Georgia.
Georgia-Clemson and Georgia-GT would be rematches.*
Which leaves #22 Louisville.
11-25-2014 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: If the Current CFP Top 10 is the Final CFP Top 10, Louisville to the Orange Bowl
But that scenario assumes that Georgia loses the SEC title game, and if they do, it's very likely that the highest-ranked team in the pool for that Orange Bowl berth will be Michigan State.
11-25-2014 07:30 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
RE: If the Current CFP Top 10 is the Final CFP Top 10, Louisville to the Orange Bowl
Better hope FSU wins out! Start doing the chop!!
11-25-2014 07:57 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Orange has an ACC tie in so the spot goes to the next ACC team.
CJ

(11-25-2014 07:30 PM)Wedge Wrote:  But that scenario assumes that Georgia loses the SEC title game, and if they do, it's very likely that the highest-ranked team in the pool for that Orange Bowl berth will be Michigan State.
11-26-2014 04:06 AM
johnbragg Offline

(11-26-2014 04:06 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Orange has an ACC tie in so the spot goes to the next ACC team.
CJ

(11-25-2014 07:30 PM)Wedge Wrote:  But that scenario assumes that Georgia loses the SEC title game, and if they do, it's very likely that the highest-ranked team in the pool for that Orange Bowl berth will be Michigan State.

Uhh, Jim, one side is ACC, one side is SEC/B1G/ND.
Right now the ACC list is FSU, GT, Clemson, Louisville
The SEC/B1g/ND list is Georgia, Michigan STate, Auburn, Missouri, Ole Miss.

I said that with the rankings the way they are right now, it's Georgia vs ACC in the ORange Bowl, and the OB contract says they skip ACC teams to avoid a rematch.* Clemson-Georgia and GT-Georgia would be rematches, and the next ACC team is Louisville.

Wedge is saying if Georgia loses the SEC title game they drop behind Michigan State. If Georgia isn't in the OB, nobody has to get skipped and Michigan State plays Georgia Tech. (Assuming that GT stays where they are after the Georgia game.)

Louisville could end up ranked above Clemson and GT anyway, with Clemson-SC, GT-UGA and Louisville-Kentucky this weekend.

Does anyone remember the details on how they determine who gets skipped? They wouldn't skip an ACC champ because of the rematch clause, would they? So does the OB have the option to pick who they skip? So right now, with Georgia-Georgia Tech as the starting matchup, they'd decide between GT-UGA, UGA-Louisville and Michigan STate-GT?
11-26-2014 06:52 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-25-2014 07:23 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Alabama and Mississippi State in the Semifinals.

It doesn't work that way. If an ACC matchup with ND/B1G/SEC is a rematch, the Orange can (doesn't have to, but can if it wants) skip the highest-ranked ND/B1G/SEC team to eliminate the rematch, but not the highest-ranked ACC team.

So as of now, Georgia Tech would be in the Orange Bowl vs Georgia, and if the Orange Bowl doesn't want that rematch, they can choose to skip over Georgia and replace with the next highest ND/SEC/B1G team, which as of now would be Michigan State.

So as of now, the OB would be either Georgia Tech - Georgia or Georgia Tech - Michigan State, depending on whether the OB wants the GT - UGA rematch or not, but Georgia Tech's position in the game would be assured.

The only way UL can get into Orange Bowl is if they can get past Clemson and GT in the rankings, which if Clemson loses to SC and GT loses to Georgia (both possible) they very well could.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2014 07:00 AM by quo vadis.)
11-26-2014 06:56 AM
johnbragg Offline

(11-26-2014 06:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(11-25-2014 07:23 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Alabama and Mississippi State in the Semifinals.

It doesn't work that way. If an ACC matchup with ND/B1G/SEC is a rematch, the Orange can (doesn't have to, but can if it wants) skip the highest-ranked ND/B1G/SEC team to eliminate the rematch, but not the highest-ranked ACC team.

So as of now, Georgia Tech would be in the Orange Bowl vs Georgia, and if the Orange Bowl doesn't want that rematch, they can choose to skip over Georgia and replace with the next highest ND/SEC/B1G team, which as of now would be Michigan State.

So as of now, the OB would be either Georgia Tech - Georgia or Georgia Tech - Michigan State, depending on whether the OB wants the GT - UGA rematch or not, but Georgia Tech's position in the game would be assured.

The only way UL can get into Orange Bowl is if they can get past Clemson and GT in the rankings, which if Clemson loses to SC and GT loses to Georgia (both possible) they very well could.

Thanks Quo. I had started wondering about that, obviously.
11-26-2014 07:02 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-26-2014 07:02 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(11-26-2014 06:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Thanks Quo. I had started wondering about that, obviously.

Sure ... and BTW this problem specifically with Georgia doesn't look like it will arise. Because if Georgia beats GT, then unless Louisville and Clemson both lose, GT will likely fall behind at least one of them in the rankings. In fact, I think what is mostly likely to happen is Georgia beats GT, while Clemson and Louisville both win, meaning the putative OB matchup would be Clemson vs Georgia.

Of course, Clemson and Georgia would ALSO be a rematch, which the OB would have to decide whether they want or not!

The broader point being this: I said when the OB ties were announced that this rematch provision was a BIG boon to the B1G and a detriment to the SEC and Notre Dame, because while there are lots of ACC/SEC regular season matchups and, thanks to ND's scheduling agreement, lots of ND-ACC matchups, there are basically no ACC-B1G matchups, meaning that the B1G is unlikely to ever be in a position of its highest-available team getting bounced because of the rematch clause, whereas for the SEC and ND that is a much more likely possibility.

Now true, the SEC is guaranteed three appearances in the OB, but they also theoretically could have as many as five. So the rematch clause could impact that to the benefit of the B1G. The B1G could end up playing in 4-5 OBs while the SEC plays the minimum of 3, thanks to that rematch clause.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2014 07:20 AM by quo vadis.)
11-26-2014 07:18 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(11-26-2014 04:06 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  Orange has an ACC tie in so the spot goes to the next ACC team.
CJ

Yup....if FSU goes to the College Football Playoffs it is the highest ranked ACC School vs. B1G/SEC...my guess it will be a pool from Ohio State, Michigan State, Mississippi State or Georgia.

(11-25-2014 07:57 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  Better hope FSU wins out! Start doing the chop!!

This week we are rooting for FSU to win out and major scoreboard watching this Saturday with our game against Kentucky while at the same time looking to see what is happening with Georgia-Georgia Tech, Clemson-South Carolina....currently Clemson is 21 and Louisville is 22...
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2014 07:27 AM by Maize.)
11-26-2014 07:25 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams

If Michigan State goes to the Orange Bowl then the ACC gets the Citrus Bowl berth from the Big Ten (by contract), so Louisville probably just goes there and Clemson meets MSU in Miami (or vice versa). That would also be a very nice outcome...
11-26-2014 08:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(11-26-2014 08:03 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

If Michigan State goes to the Orange Bowl then the ACC gets the Citrus Bowl berth from the Big Ten (by contract), so Louisville probably just goes there and Clemson meets MSU in Miami (or vice versa). That would also be a very nice outcome...

And I would be just fine with that...that would mean a NYD Bowl Game with an SEC Opponent in Florida...04-cheers
11-26-2014 08:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.