Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the FBS Door Open Again?
Bookmark and Share
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
With the sad news that the UAB football program is shutting, is this going to usher in a one team wave of conference realignment? I could be wrong, but I thought to be a member of C-USA you must sponsor football. Is Liberty's door open again to FBS affiliation? Will C-USA pull a team from the Sunbelt? Doubtful C-USA would take Liberty.
12-02-2014 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
RE: Is the FBS Door Open Again?
Best case:
A SB school moves to CUSA, which is very likely. Opens a spot.
Liberty is selected by CUSA. The deep pockets may actually help us in this scenario.

Worst case:
JMU is selected. No other movement would happen.
UMass is taken for football only. No other movement would happen.

There's lots of movement out there that could help us. Univ. of Cincinnati is trying hard to get out of AAC. That would start the process again.
12-02-2014 11:20 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(12-02-2014 09:59 PM)army56mike Wrote:  With the sad news that the UAB football program is shutting, is this going to usher in a one team wave of conference realignment? I could be wrong, but I thought to be a member of C-USA you must sponsor football. Is Liberty's door open again to FBS affiliation? Will C-USA pull a team from the Sunbelt? Doubtful C-USA would take Liberty.
A reasonable expectation would be for the C-USA to again raid a favorable SBC team if the C-USA chooses to keep 14 teams. Then that creates an opening in the SBC. The ton of comments made by LU fans and by those both for and against LU, on the SBC board may have shifted enough from the (LU never been to playoffs, never one a playoff game, etc...) that have been the un-denying facts.

With the travel attendance of LU to JMU, and the many post game positive comments from JMU fans, our chances are likely the best they have been ever for an FBS invite.

The biggest hurdle LU has overcome has been the previous perception of being a school with great facilities, a stated desire to move to FBS, but a history of coming close to never reaching the playoffs.

The brightest days are ahead for LU.
12-03-2014 09:17 AM
4bidn Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU
(12-03-2014 09:17 AM)Newetimes Wrote:  
(12-02-2014 09:59 PM)army56mike Wrote:  With the sad news that the UAB football program is shutting, is this going to usher in a one team wave of conference realignment? I could be wrong, but I thought to be a member of C-USA you must sponsor football. Is Liberty's door open again to FBS affiliation? Will C-USA pull a team from the Sunbelt? Doubtful C-USA would take Liberty.
A reasonable expectation would be for the C-USA to again raid a favorable SBC team if the C-USA chooses to keep 14 teams. Then that creates an opening in the SBC. The ton of comments made by LU fans and by those both for and against LU, on the SBC board may have shifted enough from the (LU never been to playoffs, never one a playoff game, etc...) that have been the un-denying facts.

With the travel attendance of LU to JMU, and the many post game positive comments from JMU fans, our chances are likely the best they have been ever for an FBS invite.

The biggest hurdle LU has overcome has been the previous perception of being a school with great facilities, a stated desire to move to FBS, but a history of coming close to never reaching the playoffs.

Definately think that sentiment can be echoed.
12-03-2014 01:26 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-03-2014 01:26 PM)4bidn Wrote:  
(12-03-2014 09:17 AM)Newetimes Wrote:  

Definately think that sentiment can be echoed.
It is a stretch to believe that LU would be in consideration for a C-USA opening but a Bleacher Report says it may be, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/22855...2nd-round.

I still will be very happy with a SBC invite with App St nearby.
12-03-2014 04:55 PM
army56mike Offline

What's the deal with stadium expansion? Are we waiting until the FBS invite comes? I know there is no real reason to expand yet..... unfortunately. I think we'd find it a little easier to attract FBS attention if we averaged 20-25K per game. Has the LU fanbase increased in the Lynchburg region? I get the feeling that there are more LU fans nationwide, due to the online school and LFSN. Speaking of broadcasting... LU needs to get hooked into iHeart Radio, so I can pick the games up that way on my phone when needed.
12-03-2014 08:20 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-03-2014 08:20 PM)army56mike Wrote:  What's the deal with stadium expansion? Are we waiting until the FBS invite comes? I know there is no real reason to expand yet..... unfortunately. I think we'd find it a little easier to attract FBS attention if we averaged 20-25K per game. Has the LU fanbase increased in the Lynchburg region? I get the feeling that there are more LU fans nationwide, due to the online school and LFSN. Speaking of broadcasting... LU needs to get hooked into iHeart Radio, so I can pick the games up that way on my phone when needed.
I also live out of the Lynchburg area and watch most games online. When I can only listen to the audio, I use the TuneIn app from my phone. When you have cell and/or web you can hear the games. Just load the Victory FM station and you are set.

This past week I began listening to the pre-game show an hour and a half before game time. A good production.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2014 09:58 PM by NewTimes.)
12-03-2014 09:57 PM
4bidn Offline
Bench Warmer

even tho an SBC invite would be good in conjunction with APP St, an even better one would be C-USA and the partnership that could begin with ODU, who if im not mistaken was also a proponet for LU.
12-05-2014 09:26 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-05-2014 09:26 AM)4bidn Wrote:  even tho an SBC invite would be good in conjunction with APP St, an even better one would be C-USA and the partnership that could begin with ODU, who if im not mistaken was also a proponet for LU.
I have read many of the posts on the ODU sites and there tends to be more support there than the SBC sites. That is likely due to ODU having played LU and the folks there know the commodity LU is. I feel much of the trepidation about LU on the SBC sites is due to perceived fears/disgusts/concerns. App St, ODU and now JMU seem far more supportive. There are of course the nay sayers, but on the hold, this is a very exciting time to LU in the mix for FBS consideration.
12-05-2014 01:06 PM
4bidn Offline
Bench Warmer

I for one had trepidation before I let my son come here, but after doing MY OWN personal research, it wasnt half of what they tried to make it out to be, but lets not be fooled either, it may not be as bad but doesn't mean its all peachy either. Thats why i commend any kid that attempts to becuz it proves they are willing to entertain the thought of something "different" vs the norm.
12-05-2014 02:15 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-05-2014 02:15 PM)4bidn Wrote:  I for one had trepidation before I let my son come here, but after doing MY OWN personal research, it wasnt half of what they tried to make it out to be, but lets not be fooled either, it may not be as bad but doesn't mean its all peachy either. Thats why i commend any kid that attempts to becuz it proves they are willing to entertain the thought of something "different" vs the norm.
As a dad of a student, you have a very defined interest. Me, I'm from Lynchburg and have run the gamete with Liberty Baptist to LU. Since attending games at old City Stadium in the 70's, much has changed. The missteps in the past cannot be undone. I, like many, remember those bozo actions, positions and statements in the past by others all to easy.

The essence is I am a football fan. What happens between the lines is my interest and concern. I have grown to be able to endorse LU as the university has become less political and tamed things down. I'm perfectly okay with their marketing being a Christian School. Nobody is being injured or harmed by their stances. It's just different as you say. Fact is, it's likely more appealing for some parents knowing that their kids will be in a more controlled environment.

Many on these boards mock the tailgating, lack of adult beverages and the perception of the school. Me, I just attend games when I'm town. It is a great setting, top notch facilities and easy in/out access at a very reasonable price.

It's great that your son has found a setting that he is achieving in and that you are comfortable with. There are many more upsides to LU than downsides. I just enjoy the games as a fan without any affiliation, interest or position with the school. I'm just a fan.
12-05-2014 03:10 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

"Training champions for Christ." - I really like this about Liberty University. I hope they hold strongly to this principal as they continue to grow athletically and academically.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 04:16 PM by army56mike.)
12-05-2014 04:15 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-05-2014 04:15 PM)army56mike Wrote:  "Training champions for Christ." - I really like this about Liberty University. I hope they hold strongly to this principal as they continue to grow athletically and academically.
That is a little strong for me. I get LU's position and how they want to present themselves. Every program has a phrase or hook that they want to identify themselves by. I'm going to keep my comments here directed to athletics as that is my interest. And it's okay that you really like the phrase.

BTW, I was told today by some LU taff people that 2,000+ are expected to travel to Philly. As Nova averages 6k+ for games, we likely may be 1/3 of the crowd, and if the band makes the trip, it will be that much more enticing. Go Flames!
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 05:48 PM by NewTimes.)
12-05-2014 05:48 PM
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
(12-05-2014 04:15 PM)army56mike Wrote:  "Training champions for Christ." - I really like this about Liberty University. I hope they hold strongly to this principle as they continue to grow athletically and academically.

Watching the news lately, we could use a few more champions? I hope schools like Liberty and Baylor continue to have success. GO FLAMES!
12-06-2014 08:18 AM
knucklehead Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Liberty must always stay focused on Christ or they are just another college. God's hand will stay with LU as long as we bring glory to him.

And there is talk today about the big 12 possibly looking to add to get a CCG. They were hurt in the playoff team selection by not having one. This may start a realignment storm. I hope so.
12-07-2014 02:03 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-07-2014 02:03 PM)knucklehead Wrote:  Liberty must always stay focused on Christ or they are just another college. God's hand will stay with LU as long as we bring glory to him.

And there is talk today about the big 12 possibly looking to add to get a CCG. They were hurt in the playoff team selection by not having one. This may start a realignment storm. I hope so.
The athletics of LU are more a distinction than the spear bearer for the university. As the university has created a brand with their distinction of being a Baptist religious institution, that is who they are. One can say they 1) support and appreciate the mission of the school and be a fan, and 2) support the athletics of the school and be a fan of the athletic programs. I say that because I am number 2. I enjoy the athletics of the school. I have also defended LU many times on this BBS with the negative comments and uninformed making judgmental statements about the school that are unture. My posts clearly show this.

It is possible for a sports fan, who supports the athletics of the university, not necessary endorse and support all the positions of the school. This is the key to have the university continue to grow and prosper beyond it's base. Attracting sports fans who see the value and merit of the high level athletics of the school is important. If they can support the athletic teams without feeling obliged or required, to unconditionally accept, endorse or agree with LU will propel the university in popularity.

Will those who went to school at LU, who graduated and accepted the mission of the school be the base and foundation of the school? Yes. Is there a larger picture of program development that helps LU build a fan base without being attached to the school. Yes. This may be a challenge for some LU supporters to accept.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 03:51 PM by NewTimes.)
12-07-2014 03:49 PM
Advertisement

knucklehead Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Jerry Senior once said that if LU ever turned away from its foundation on God it should just be burned to the ground. The purpose of the school is to bring glory to God and to train Champions for Christ to go out into the workforce. I agree that you can enjoy and cheer on the athletics without accepting this. But please don't try to change it.
12-08-2014 12:15 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(12-08-2014 12:15 PM)knucklehead Wrote:  Jerry Senior once said that if LU ever turned away from its foundation on God it should just be burned to the ground. The purpose of the school is to bring glory to God and to train Champions for Christ to go out into the workforce. I agree that you can enjoy and cheer on the athletics without accepting this. But please don't try to change it.
Take a breath. Who is trying to change the LU identify? I appreciate the statements that are true for you. I honor that. I get the LU position and what the school wants to do and how they want to do it. There is no disagreement there.

It seems like I may have offended you because I have a different alignment with the university and the athletics of the school than you. I was born and lived in Lynchburg before LU was conceived and have years of personal experiences with the school and mostly with the many who are affiliated. I formerly had a LU graduate as a business partner. I get the LU mission. It's clear to me.

My earlier point seems to have been glossed over, that being, if LU can attract fans from their athletics, that don't necessarily fully support the school mission, that will build a large fan base and propel the school quicker to FBS. A simple statement that does have merit
12-08-2014 08:01 PM
army56mike Offline

I am going Cincy and Memphis to Big 12, ODU and UTSA to AAC, Louisiana Lafayette to C-USA, Missouri St. and Liberty to Sun Belt.
12-08-2014 09:54 PM
4bidn Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-05-2014 03:10 PM)Newetimes Wrote:  
(12-05-2014 02:15 PM)4bidn Wrote:  I for one had trepidation before I let my son come here, but after doing MY OWN personal research, it wasnt half of what they tried to make it out to be, but lets not be fooled either, it may not be as bad but doesn't mean its all peachy either. Thats why i commend any kid that attempts to becuz it proves they are willing to entertain the thought of something "different" vs the norm.
As a dad of a student, you have a very defined interest. Me, I'm from Lynchburg and have run the gamete with Liberty Baptist to LU. Since attending games at old City Stadium in the 70's, much has changed. The missteps in the past cannot be undone. I, like many, remember those bozo actions, positions and statements in the past by others all to easy.

The essence is I am a football fan. What happens between the lines is my interest and concern. I have grown to be able to endorse LU as the university has become less political and tamed things down. I'm perfectly okay with their marketing being a Christian School. Nobody is being injured or harmed by their stances. It's just different as you say. Fact is, it's likely more appealing for some parents knowing that their kids will be in a more controlled environment.

Many on these boards mock the tailgating, lack of adult beverages and the perception of the school. Me, I just attend games when I'm town. It is a great setting, top notch facilities and easy in/out access at a very reasonable price.

It's great that your son has found a setting that he is achieving in and that you are comfortable with. There are many more upsides to LU than downsides. I just enjoy the games as a fan without any affiliation, interest or position with the school. I'm just a fan.

Exactly, Im here to support him on his endeavors and watch him cross that stage with his degree (intelligence...smh). I too remember passing thrulynchburg and this college and seeing what it was to what it has become. Kudos to all those who have made it happen
12-09-2014 09:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.