Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Football recruiting
Bookmark and Share
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
Football recruiting
What's the deal with UTEP having only three commitments at this late date?
01-18-2015 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
RE: Football recruiting
I think it has to do with who is running our site. Coach Kuglar has said UTEP will sign 23 kids. I just saw today that we got a commitment from Chance Bishop 6'6" 295 lb TE from Kennedale. He chose UTEP over ECU and UNT.

I also know that UTEP really wants Greg Long from El Paso. He is a 6'5" 275 offensive linemen. Long is going on a visit to SDSU and I believe it is between UTEP and SDSU. Greg has told me that he really likes Coach Kuglar and Leftwich.

I also believe that UTEP will sign a transfer quarterback, either Conner Brewer from Arizona or Trey Anderson from Pittsburgh.

There have been a few other tweets about committing to UTEP but I can't seem to find them.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 08:23 PM by stanman505.)
01-18-2015 07:53 PM
Eagle in the gym Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
(01-18-2015 07:53 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  I think it has to do with who is running our site. Coach Kuglar has said UTEP will sign 23 kids. I just saw today that we got a commitment from Chance Bishop 6'6" 295 lb TE from Kennedale. He chose UTEP over ECU and UNT.

I also know that UTEP really wants Greg Long from El Paso. He is a 6'5" 275 offensive linemen. Long is going on a visit to SDSU and I believe it is between UTEP and SDSU. Greg has told me that he really likes Coach Kuglar and Leftwich.

I also believe that UTEP will sign a transfer quarterback, either Conner Brewer from Arizona or Trey Anderson from Pittsburgh.

There have been a few other tweets about committing to UTEP but I can't seem to find them.

As a fan it sucks to not see anything but tweets from the kids, but it blows me away how quick some are to go share news from the pay sites as quick as it comes out. Once the ink is dry, then you can celebrate who you got or lament those who slipped away.
01-18-2015 09:39 PM
Irish Rowdy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
TJ King Flipped from La Tech to UTSA today. I see LA Tech vs UTSA being a recruiting battle for years to come.
01-18-2015 11:19 PM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

(01-18-2015 07:53 PM)stanman505 Wrote:  I think it has to do with who is running our site. Coach Kuglar has said UTEP will sign 23 kids. I just saw today that we got a commitment from Chance Bishop 6'6" 295 lb TE from Kennedale. He chose UTEP over ECU and UNT.

I could understand not having recruiting information on one site, but there's almost nothing for UTEP on Rivals, Scout or 24/7.
01-19-2015 12:33 AM
jamrob Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: LA TECH
(01-18-2015 11:19 PM)Irish Rowdy Wrote:  TJ King Flipped from La Tech to UTSA today. I see LA Tech vs UTSA being a recruiting battle for years to come.

Sucker punch. We lost almost our entire defensive staff and he is the only one that has not held. Hang on a minute.... I think he is visiting TECH on the 23rd.
01-19-2015 06:57 AM
Advertisement

winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
(01-18-2015 11:19 PM)Irish Rowdy Wrote:  TJ King Flipped from La Tech to UTSA today. I see LA Tech vs UTSA being a recruiting battle for years to come.

It's not over yet for King
01-19-2015 08:01 AM
USMSTUD Offline
Banned

We had 5 uncommitted players on official visits this weekend. Came away with four commitments and the 5th is likely to later this week when our coaches make an in-home visit.
One of the players, DE Ricky Parks, is rated 4* by Scout and the #7 JUCO player in the country.
01-19-2015 09:29 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Both have the same problem all G5 have. It is the battle for the leftovers.

Do you want this chewed on T bone or this fresh from the dumpster Chix leg.03-puke
01-19-2015 10:19 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(01-19-2015 12:33 AM)USMSTUD Wrote:  

I could understand not having recruiting information on one site, but there's almost nothing for UTEP on Rivals, Scout or 24/7.

I may get this a little wrong but coach Kugler has been quoted that his recruiting process is a bit different. His staff (other staffs may do the same) actually insists on getting several letters from people who personally know a recruit. The character, grades, etc. have to be in good standing before he will offer. He also, because of our location, brings most of his recruits for visits very late in the process. This past weekend and the next couple of weekends will be the majority of visits. He also claims that he has a very high rate of commitments from those that actually make the visit. They apparently like the school, staff and facilities quite a bit. After seeing how low his recruiting classes have been ranked and how much he has accomplished with them in a very short time span, I'm very happy we have him and trust that as long as we keep him, UTEP will be highly competitive in C-USA. A low ranked recruiting class will not upset me in the least because he recruits players that work hard on the field and in the classroom.
01-19-2015 10:20 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
(01-19-2015 08:01 AM)winston70 Wrote:  

He's just doing the polite thing and taking a free visit. Coker showed him the ring and it was over.
01-19-2015 11:17 AM
Advertisement

RougeDawg Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(01-19-2015 11:17 AM)SApuro Wrote:  

He's just doing the polite thing and taking a free visit. Coker showed him the ring and it was over.

A ring! Cute! He can see four Super Bowl rings when he walks out of the Karl Malone Weight Room on his Tech visit.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 11:37 AM by RougeDawg.)
01-19-2015 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech

A ring that he won in Miami with Butch Davis' players....what good does that do a player at UTSA?
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 11:50 AM by Saint Greg.)
01-19-2015 11:49 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
(01-19-2015 11:49 AM)Saint Greg Wrote:  

A ring that he won in Miami with Butch Davis' players....what good does that do a player at UTSA?
I'm sorry how many National Championships has your coaching staff won?...its ok I'll wait.

Actually playing at the Alamodome and living in the 5th largest city in the country (someone out there will get this one) is probably a bigger selling point.
01-19-2015 01:49 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
STUD....why did you delete your '4 of 5 commits' post? edit: I'm blind....my mistake....

for the record, I am digging the path that Monk and corp are doing this year recruiting-wise....

the ej, alford, surrogate father combo is easily the reason we are in the recruiting postion we are today....

edit: I'm a huge believer in Monk as a leader.....houdini couldn't have escaped this trap any sooner...
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2015 04:18 PM by stinkfist.)
01-19-2015 01:50 PM
Irish Rowdy Offline
Special Teams

SAPuro you need to play well with others.
01-19-2015 04:12 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-19-2015 01:49 PM)SApuro Wrote:  
(01-19-2015 11:49 AM)Saint Greg Wrote:  

I'm sorry how many National Championships has your coaching staff won?...its ok I'll wait.

Actually playing at the Alamodome and living in the 5th largest city in the country (someone out there will get this one) is probably a bigger selling point.

A lot of athletes are dumb, but any of them know a national championship at Miami doesn't mean anything at UTSA.

San Antonio is only the 5th largest city in the U.S. because its almost 500 square miles.

Jesus, Charlotte would have ~1.3 million people if we had the boundaries of San Antonio.

I'll give you the Alamodome though. That's a nice selling point. Playing indoors in a climate controlled environment has to be attractive, especially to kids that want to stay in Texas to play college ball. The dome isn't going to sway kids that are Texas/A&M caliber, but it could certainly help you steal kids away from other Texas G5 schools.
01-19-2015 04:44 PM
Irish Rowdy Offline
Special Teams

UTSA football attendance is much higher than La Tech. It might be close to double.

This is an interesting choice for kids. Both programs have great things to offer, but the two programs have very different strengths.
01-19-2015 05:06 PM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
(01-19-2015 05:06 PM)Irish Rowdy Wrote:  UTSA football attendance is much higher than La Tech. It might be close to double.

This is an interesting choice for kids. Both programs have great things to offer, but the two programs have very different strengths.

This isn't about attendance this is about a 18 year old kid deciding where he wants to spend the next four years of his life.

Now before this thread turns into a good old fashion hate fest where markets and wins and championships are all drug out. Lets just discuss CUSA recruiting in a respectible manner.
01-19-2015 05:09 PM
pilot172000 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tech/ Bama
Tech is closing in on a ver good recruiting class. I am hopeful we can pick up a few DL and LBs to complete this class. There are a lot of athletes in this class.
01-19-2015 05:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.