Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Louisville vs UCONN
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
Louisville vs UCONN
Just out of curiosity does anyone know which schools were in favor of the Cards and which were in favor of the Huskies?
02-08-2015 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: Louisville vs UCONN
(02-08-2015 03:25 PM)john01992 Wrote:  Just out of curiosity does anyone know which schools were in favor of the Cards and which were in favor of the Huskies?

Well, we know for a fact that Darryl Gross recommended Louisville, although his recommendation didn't count because SU was officially in the league yet.
02-08-2015 03:39 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I am pretty sure Clemson and FSU wanted Louisville.
02-08-2015 04:00 PM
Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(02-08-2015 04:00 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  I am pretty sure Clemson and FSU wanted Louisville.

On the Field, Court and Diamond the ACC made the right decision....07-coffee3
02-08-2015 05:18 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
It will never be confirmed officially but from what I was told initially UNC, Duke, UVA, and Wake supported UConn. Everyone else was opposed. It was obvious that UConn wasn't going to have anywhere close to 3/4 support so Duke and Wake swung around to the Louisville camp to give them enough support to bring it to a vote.

I have also been told that among the newcomers who could not vote Pitt and Notre Dame expressed no opinion either way and Syracuse favored Louisville over UConn, but indicated they had no problem with either choice.

Cincy was supposedly eliminated from discussion but when it became obvious that UConn wasn't going to be supported by the football first schools were discussed again.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2015 06:49 PM by Kaplony.)
02-08-2015 06:48 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(02-08-2015 06:48 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  It will never be confirmed officially but from what I was told initially UNC, Duke, UVA, and Wake supported UConn. Everyone else was opposed. It was obvious that UConn wasn't going to have anywhere close to 3/4 support so Duke and Wake swung around to the Louisville camp to give them enough support to bring it to a vote.

I have also been told that among the newcomers who could not vote Pitt and Notre Dame expressed no opinion either way and Syracuse favored Louisville over UConn, but indicated they had no problem with either choice.

Cincy was supposedly eliminated from discussion but when it became obvious that UConn wasn't going to be supported by the football first schools were discussed again.

OK, that is interesting to me as I didnt know that Cinci even was discussed. They seem to be next in line for 2 power conferences if need be.
02-08-2015 08:32 PM
Advertisement

MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
(02-08-2015 06:48 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  It will never be confirmed officially but from what I was told initially UNC, Duke, UVA, and Wake supported UConn. Everyone else was opposed. It was obvious that UConn wasn't going to have anywhere close to 3/4 support so Duke and Wake swung around to the Louisville camp to give them enough support to bring it to a vote.

That's my understanding as well that Pitt had no opinion either way on UConn-Louisville. From an outsider's view (I have no personal knowledge), my understanding is that regarding Big East politics, Pitt and Rutgers were closely aligned but as Rutgers was no longer available, they would have been neutral about any other school. Some other Pitt fan might know better though.
02-08-2015 09:08 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(02-08-2015 08:32 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

OK, that is interesting to me as I didnt know that Cinci even was discussed. They seem to be next in line for 2 power conferences if need be.

From what I have been told it was because of Louisville's academics and it didn't go far as it was obvious that Louisville stood the only chance of earning the 75% vote.

I do know that there was no way Clemson was supporting UConn, and wouldn't have cast even a symbolic yes vote if they were the only school who opposed. Barker was already feeling heat from the fanbase on the previous expansion being basketball based, on the one-sided deal with Notre Dame, and not at least symbolically calling for an additional year of probation for UNC.
02-08-2015 09:23 PM
CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(02-08-2015 09:08 PM)MKPitt Wrote:  

That's my understanding as well that Pitt had no opinion either way on UConn-Louisville. From an outsider's view (I have no personal knowledge), my understanding is that regarding Big East politics, Pitt and Rutgers were closely aligned but as Rutgers was no longer available, they would have been neutral about any other school. Some other Pitt fan might know better though.

Pitt was closely aligned with WVU and Rutgers. Tried to take them with us.
02-08-2015 10:43 PM
Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
(02-08-2015 10:43 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

Oh well that's interesting-- hadn't heard that before!
02-09-2015 06:29 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

You can sure pick friends...
02-09-2015 04:45 PM
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
(02-09-2015 04:45 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

The three football oriented schools that blocked Villanova. Those three were trying to strengthen the football side by bringing in, first TCU, then UCF. Louisville and USF lined up with the basketball schools advocating bringing up Nova. SU played it neutral.

Pitt and WVU were also largely responsible for keeping things together, and retaining BCS status, in 2004. Pitt and WVU were very closely aligned. Before the ACC invite Pitt was insisting that the B12, from which it was receiving strong interest, also take WVU and RU or Louisville.

I think everyone is relieved (if not ecstatic) that we ended up in the ACC with Syracuse, VT, Miami, and ND.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 12:43 PM by CrazyPaco.)
02-09-2015 06:54 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(02-09-2015 06:54 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 04:45 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Theit the three football oriented schools that blocked Villanova. Those three were trying to strengthen the football side by bringing in, first TCU, then UCF. Louisville and USF lined up with the basketball schools advocating bringing up Nova. SU played it neutral.

Pitt and WVU were also largely responsible for keeping things together, and retaining BCS status, in 2004. Pitt and WVU were very closely aligned. Before the ACC invite Pitt was insisting that the B12, from which it was receiving strong interest, also take WVU and RU or Louisville.

I think everyone is relieved (if not ecstatic) that we ended up in the ACC with Syracuse, VT, Miami, and ND.

This is new to me. I had heard that Syracuse and Pitt laid down the law in the Big East and plainly told them in no uncertain terms that they would look elsewhere and leave if football was not strengthened. From what I heard, this is what prompted WVU to put on a skimpy outfit and stand on a street corner looking for any available conference.

Regardless, it is water under the bridge and both schools are in good company.
02-09-2015 08:02 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Agree with the comments above but let me clarify?

1) Yes, Louisville supported the Big East. We would have liked this football setup:

Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida
Central Florida
TCU
BYU
Boise State

2) At the same time we fore saw the coming demise of the Big East and were looking. to the Big 12 and the ACC. We knew Villanova would not work. TCU and West Virginia started the dominions falling.
07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2015 08:20 AM by Wilkie01.)
02-10-2015 08:19 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
That's the first I've heard We wanted Villanova Football. Makes No sense when UCF and TCU were available as well as Memphis and Houston to have 2 Texas schools.
02-10-2015 08:38 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

(02-10-2015 08:19 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Agree with the comments above but let me clarify?

1) Yes, Louisville supported the Big East. We would have liked this football setup:

Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida
Central Florida
TCU
BYU
Boise State

2) At the same time we fore saw the coming demise of the Big East and were looking. to the Big 12 and the ACC. We knew Villanova would not work. TCU and West Virginia started the dominions falling.
07-coffee3

The dominion was already breached when TCU and WVU bolted.
02-10-2015 08:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(02-10-2015 08:43 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:19 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Agree with the comments above but let me clarify?

Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida
Central Florida
TCU
BYU
Boise State

07-coffee3

The Big East would have been a P6 conference in football with:

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Louisville
East Carolina
Central Florida
South Florida
TCU
Houston
Colorado State
Boise State
Fresno State
San Diego State

But, I am much happier staying with Notre Dame, Cuse, and Pitt. 04-cheers
02-10-2015 09:00 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

(02-10-2015 09:00 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(02-10-2015 08:43 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Connecticut
Syracuse
Rutgers
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Cincinnati
Louisville
South Florida
Central Florida
TCU
BYU
Boise State

07-coffee3

The Big East would have been a P6 conference in football with:

Connecticut
Cincinnati
Louisville
East Carolina
Central Florida
South Florida
TCU
Houston
Colorado State
Boise State
Fresno State
San Diego State

But, I am much happier staying with Notre Dame, Cuse, and Pitt. 04-cheers

That would've been a fun league to watch fight the P5...not sure it would have made the cut. I think it would deserve to but who knows how the politics would've played out.

Obviously so happy to have UL in the ACC...I'm bringing 50-75 tailgaters with me in early November to UL. Right now I'll probably tailgate at the KEFC unless I figure out a better spot.
02-10-2015 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

There are a lot of small business lots closer to the stadium that charge about $10or $12 bucks to park. People tailgate in them. I have to parking space in Green Lot B by the stadium.
02-10-2015 09:33 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

(02-10-2015 09:33 AM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  There are a lot of small business lots closer to the stadium that charge about $10or $12 bucks to park. People tailgate in them. I have to parking space in Green Lot B by the stadium.

If you know an actual business or two send me a PM...I'll contact them about prebuying some spots
02-10-2015 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.