Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Hockey Bracketology
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
NCAA Hockey Bracketology
Conference championships are all going on today, the brackets are announced tomorrow at noon on ESPNU. Some bubble teams like BG lost yesterday, others like St. Cloud won. Here are the matchups going on later (eastern time listed), not including the NCHC consolation game between Denver and NoDak.

Atlantic (8:05)
Mercyhurst vs. Rochester Tech

Big Ten (9:00)
Michigan vs. Minnesota

ECAC (8:35)
Harvard vs. Colgate

Hockey East (8:00)
UMass-Lowell vs. Boston U

NCHC (9:38)
Miami vs. St. Cloud State

WCHA (8:07)
Michigan Tech vs. MSU-Mankato
03-21-2015 11:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: NCAA Hockey Bracketology
Where's Wisconsin? Where did defensive guru Eaves land the 6-time national champion (most ever?) Badgers in the Pairwise and in the record books?
03-21-2015 12:51 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(03-21-2015 12:51 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Where's Wisconsin? Where did defensive guru Eaves land the 6-time national champion (most ever?) Badgers in the Pairwise and in the record books?

4 freshmen on the starting line, that is all you need to know. Minnesota is a force this year.
03-21-2015 03:20 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Now we know why there's so many Big 10 expansion rumors on this sub-forum. Big 10 sucks!

6/8 teams from the NCHC. 1 Big 10 team and only 1000 people at the Big 10 Championship games (including the semi-final between UofM/MSU). Even the 'left-over' WCHA is sending 2.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 05:00 PM by Bronco'14.)
03-22-2015 05:00 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(03-22-2015 05:00 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Now we know why there's so many Big 10 expansion rumors on this sub-forum. Big 10 sucks!

6/8 teams from the NCHC. 1 Big 10 team and only 1000 people at the Big 10 Championship games (including the semi-final between UofM/MSU). Even the 'left-over' WCHA is sending 2.
All of the Big 10 expansion rumors deal with new programs, so while it may help the Minnesotas and Wisconsins pick up wins, it will do little for the conference in terms of getting teams into the tournament. Expansion will force the issue of expanding the tournament beyond 16 teams, especially if the P5 conferences are the ones doing the expanding.
03-22-2015 07:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(03-21-2015 03:20 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  
(03-21-2015 12:51 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Where's Wisconsin? Where did defensive guru Eaves land the 6-time national champion (most ever?) Badgers in the Pairwise and in the record books?

4 freshmen on the starting line, that is all you need to know. Minnesota is a force this year.

Their coach Eaves defensive hockey style is incredibly boring. Wisconsin used to pack the Kohl Center for hockey and used to lead the nation in attendance. Now they can't attract flies: no goals and bored fans.
03-22-2015 07:48 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-22-2015 07:39 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  
(03-22-2015 05:00 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Now we know why there's so many Big 10 expansion rumors on this sub-forum. Big 10 sucks!

All of the Big 10 expansion rumors deal with new programs, so while it may help the Minnesotas and Wisconsins pick up wins, it will do little for the conference in terms of getting teams into the tournament. Expansion will force the issue of expanding the tournament beyond 16 teams, especially if the P5 conferences are the ones doing the expanding.
Mich and Mich St are historically good programs that took a dive this year.

Minnesota was barely in with the B1G autobid. They got sent to Manchester to face Duluth, who should be favored.

NCHC - six bids / 8 teams, UND, Miami, Duluth, Omaha, Denver, SCSU
Hockey East - 3 / 12, BU, BC, Providence
ECAC - 3 / 12, Harvard, Yale, Quinnipiac
WCHA - 2 /10, Minn St, Mich Tech
AHA - 1 / 11, RIT
B1G - 1 / 6, Minnie
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 08:23 PM by NoDak.)
03-22-2015 07:58 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-22-2015 07:39 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  

The NCAA caps playoffs at 25%. The B1G has to win ooc games or play AHA teams exclusively. If Ivy Hockey and a new CCHA form, its two more autobids. The NCAA upped the playoff number to 16 from 12 when the CHA and AHA formed. The CHA and CCHA disbanded, but the B1G and NCHC formed.

Hockey would have to have 30 - 40 new teams before the playoffs are expanded.

The NCHC is trying to attract recruits that would otherwise go to Major Junior leagues. On face value of its performance this year, seems to be working.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 08:19 PM by NoDak.)
03-22-2015 08:05 PM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

Re: RE: NCAA Hockey Bracketology
(03-22-2015 07:48 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

Their coach Eaves defensive hockey style is incredibly boring. Wisconsin used to pack the Kohl Center for hockey and used to lead the nation in attendance. Now they can't attract flies: no goals and bored fans.

Very true, then again Wisconsin is boring in every sport. Must be something in the water, being annually strong in hockey, basketball, and football yet boring in all 3.
03-22-2015 09:51 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2015 09:51 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  

Very true, then again Wisconsin is boring in every sport. Must be something in the water, being annually strong in hockey, basketball, and football yet boring in all 3.

Annually strong in hockey? They just completed a record-setting year!

4-26-5
Ranked 57th out of 59 teams in the Pairwise
Twice (2x) as many times shutout (8) as wins (4)
More national championships (6) than wins (4)
Swept 4-0 by a program in its 3rd year of D1
1.67 goals per game... 1.67!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 10:07 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
03-22-2015 10:06 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Wisconsin was 4-26-5 in hockey and was nearly last in pairwise (55 out of 59).. That's equivalent to a 330 RPI for Badger basketball.

Forwards do not want to play in Eaves system, as it hurts their chances of being an NHLer. Most forward recruits leave early for the minors because they get so disgusted with lack of scoring opportunities. Who can blame them?
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 10:18 PM by NoDak.)
03-22-2015 10:11 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

Ridiculous that Miami has to go out east to play Providence at Providence and potentially BC the next day. I'm not mad that we have to play in the east or northeast regional, we are the fourth number one seed after all, but the NCAA has essentially punished us for winning the NCHC. We would've been much better off losing a week ago to WMU in the quarterfinals, allowing us to take the week off (and avoid the Coleman suspension/Barber injury) and go to South Bend as a lower seed. And why the hell are we the late game on Saturday?
03-22-2015 10:58 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(03-22-2015 10:58 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Ridiculous that Miami has to go out east to play Providence at Providence and potentially BC the next day. I'm not mad that we have to play in the east or northeast regional, we are the fourth number one seed after all, but the NCAA has essentially punished us for winning the NCHC. We would've been much better off losing a week ago to WMU in the quarterfinals, allowing us to take the week off (and avoid the Coleman suspension/Barber injury) and go to South Bend as a lower seed. And why the hell are we the late game on Saturday?
The NCAA could have put Quinnipiac in Providence and sent Providence to Fargo. But their so worried about attendance.

South Bend will have an empty rink, with Minn St, Omaha, Harvard, and RIT. Omaha and RIT travel, but Miami would do a lot better.
03-22-2015 11:09 PM
Advertisement

billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
(03-22-2015 10:58 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Ridiculous that Miami has to go out east to play Providence at Providence and potentially BC the next day. I'm not mad that we have to play in the east or northeast regional, we are the fourth number one seed after all, but the NCAA has essentially punished us for winning the NCHC. We would've been much better off losing a week ago to WMU in the quarterfinals, allowing us to take the week off (and avoid the Coleman suspension/Barber injury) and go to South Bend as a lower seed. And why the hell are we the late game on Saturday?

I absolutely agree you guys got screwed. We Friars are a 4-seed, and a 1-seed from 800 miles away will have to play a road game against us. Not in our campus rink, but 2 miles away in downtown Providence at the 12k seat Dunk. Not sure if an NCAA participant is allowed to play at home, but they got around it by saying that Brown University is the host.

Amazing that this hockey scenario played out exactly the opposite way for Friar hoops last week. 11-seed Dayton traveled 45 minutes away to Columbus to play 6-seed Providence. That was ridiculous when we got screwed, and i completely agree that you got screwed here in hockey.

By the way, good luck next weekend. Providence is a great city. Not too big, nice arena with hotels next door, and a ton of great restaurants within walking distance.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 11:12 PM by billyjack.)
03-22-2015 11:11 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

(03-22-2015 11:11 PM)billyjack Wrote:  I absolutely agree you guys got screwed. We Friars are a 4-seed, and a 1-seed from 800 miles away will have to play a road game against us. Not in our campus rink, but 2 miles away in downtown Providence at the 12k seat Dunk. Not sure if an NCAA participant is allowed to play at home, but they got around it by saying that Brown University is the host.

Amazing that this hockey scenario played out exactly the opposite way for Friar hoops last week. 11-seed Dayton traveled 45 minutes away to Columbus to play 6-seed Providence. That was ridiculous when we got screwed, and i completely agree that you got screwed here in hockey.

By the way, good luck next weekend. Providence is a great city. Not too big, nice arena with hotels next door, and a ton of great restaurants within walking distance.

The only way things will change is if more midwestern or western teams start up hockey programs, forcing the NCAA to change the eastern regional to the mideast (Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo) and shift the midwest regional permanently to the central time zone (St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee) for the sake of attendance. But the likelihood of that occurring is iffy at best...

Good luck to you guys too. We'll almost certainly be missing two of our three best players on Saturday, so while that sucks the bottom line is that if you want to be the champion, you gotta show it on the ice. We have enough talent to go all the way, but given our history with Boston teams I'll be a huge Denver fan this weekend (especially cause we just beat them 6-3 this past Friday).
03-23-2015 08:50 AM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

Re: RE: NCAA Hockey Bracketology
(03-22-2015 10:06 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

Annually strong in hockey? They just completed a record-setting year!

4-26-5
Ranked 57th out of 59 teams in the Pairwise
Twice (2x) as many times shutout (8) as wins (4)
More national championships (6) than wins (4)
Swept 4-0 by a program in its 3rd year of D1
1.67 goals per game... 1.67!!!!!!

One down season compared to a history of strong and successful teams, unless they utterly collapse as a program like Michigan football they'll be back. 3-4 years from now they'll probably be the strongest team considering the amount of freshman and sophomores on that team. You guys should know better than to base a program off of one season.

(03-22-2015 10:11 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

Wisconsin was 4-26-5 in hockey and was nearly last in pairwise (55 out of 59).. That's equivalent to a 330 RPI for Badger basketball.

Forwards do not want to play in Eaves system, as it hurts their chances of being an NHLer. Most forward recruits leave early for the minors because they get so disgusted with lack of scoring opportunities. Who can blame them?
03-23-2015 09:22 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

They'll be back when they hire a different coach. But they sure as hell can't be described as "annually strong" under their current coach considering they set a plethora of futility records this season.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015 09:34 AM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
03-23-2015 09:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.