Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

*THIS* is why Christans have to set up and call unbelievers non-christian
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
*THIS* is why Christans have to set up and call unbelievers non-christian
Because if you don't defend the faith you end up with a Presbyterian *minister* who does not even believe in God.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...-in-god-2/

Though I self-identify as a Christian and I am an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), I raised eyebrows a few years ago when I posted an article on my website about how my personal beliefs don’t align with those of most Presbyterians.
For example, I believe that:

* Religion is a human construct
* The symbols of faith are products of human cultural evolution
* Jesus may have been an historical figure, but most of what we know about him is in the form of legend
* God is a symbol of myth-making and not credible as a supernatural being or force
* The Bible is a human product as opposed to special revelation from a divine being
* Human consciousness is the result of natural selection, so there’s no afterlife

I believe one of the newer religious paths could be a “belief-less” Christianity. In this “sect,” one is not required to believe things. One learns and draws upon practices and products of our cultural tradition to create meaning in the present. The last two congregations I have served have huge commitments to equality for LGTBQ people and eco-justice, among other things. They draw from the well of our Christian cultural tradition (and other religious traditions) for encouragement in these efforts. I think a belief-less Christianity can be a positive good for society.

---
03-22-2015 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
RE: *THIS* is why Christans have to set up and call unbelievers non-christian
PCUSA has problems as a whole. My Presbytery voted against(and I approve) the latest change in the definition of marriage...but...more and more PCUSA Presbyteries are straying.
03-22-2015 09:43 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-22-2015 09:43 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  PCUSA has problems as a whole. My Presbytery voted against(and I approve) the latest change in the definition of marriage...but...more and more PCUSA Presbyteries are straying.

The problem is passing the buck... It should not be up to individual presbytery to define things of theological and spiritual significance. By passing the buck you let the cancer start to grow.
03-22-2015 11:28 AM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
There is a day coming when that man is going to have to kneel before and be judged by the God he is claiming doesn't exist, yet leads a house of worship in His name. He will have to explain to Jesus why he said the testimony of his life was mostly lies. He will have to explain why he mislead and taught that the Word of God was not really the Word of God.

That is one of the highest levels of blasphemy against God I can think of.

Good luck with that, buddy.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 03:59 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-22-2015 03:55 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

The is the time of the great apostasy, friends.
03-22-2015 03:56 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(03-22-2015 09:16 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Because if you don't defend the faith you end up with a Presbyterian *minister* who does not even believe in God.

Though I self-identify as a Christian and I am an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), I raised eyebrows a few years ago when I posted an article on my website about how my personal beliefs don’t align with those of most Presbyterians.

* Jesus may have been an historical figure, but most of what we know about him is in the form of legend
* God is a symbol of myth-making and not credible as a supernatural being or force
* The Bible is a human product as opposed to special revelation from a divine being
* Human consciousness is the result of natural selection, so there’s no afterlife

I believe one of the newer religious paths could be a “belief-less” Christianity. In this “sect,” one is not required to believe things. One learns and draws upon practices and products of our cultural tradition to create meaning in the present. The last two congregations I have served have huge commitments to equality for LGTBQ people and eco-justice, among other things. They draw from the well of our Christian cultural tradition (and other religious traditions) for encouragement in these efforts. I think a belief-less Christianity can be a positive good for society.

---

To that man preaching is just a paycheck and he likely sees himself as a psychologist rather than a spiritual leader. I really have no use for Christian Churches that edit the Bible to their beliefs if they even bother to teach from the Bible, those kinds of churches are more a social gathering.
03-22-2015 04:54 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(03-22-2015 11:28 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(03-22-2015 09:43 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  PCUSA has problems as a whole. My Presbytery voted against(and I approve) the latest change in the definition of marriage...but...more and more PCUSA Presbyteries are straying.

The problem is passing the buck... It should not be up to individual presbytery to define things of theological and spiritual significance. By passing the buck you let the cancer start to grow.

You understand how the voting in PCUSA for this schit works...right? Just how the fck is voting against the change passing the buck?
03-22-2015 06:05 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-22-2015 06:05 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(03-22-2015 11:28 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

You understand how the voting in PCUSA for this schit works...right? Just how the fck is voting against the change passing the buck?

My mother spent a lot of time in a PCUSA church. So I get it.

My point was not against your church (who is doing what they can) but the entire body. of PCUSA Churches that even allow issues in which there should be zero wiggle room.
03-22-2015 06:30 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(03-22-2015 04:54 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  
(03-22-2015 09:16 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Because if you don't defend the faith you end up with a Presbyterian *minister* who does not even believe in God.

---

To that man preaching is just a paycheck and he likely sees himself as a psychologist rather than a spiritual leader. I really have no use for Christian Churches that edit the Bible to their beliefs if they even bother to teach from the Bible, those kinds of churches are more a social gathering.
The bible that you know today was edited to the beliefs of those before you.

There are a number of gospels that were excluded by the Catholic church to form the bible as we know it today.

The bible we know today isn't the word of god. It is a collection of gospels chosen by men in robes centuries ago.
03-22-2015 07:32 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers

---

There are a number of gospels that were excluded by the Catholic church to form the bible as we know it today.

The bible we know today isn't the word of god. It is a collection of gospels chosen by men in robes centuries ago.
03-22-2015 07:32 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(03-22-2015 07:32 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

---

While they may have selected the books included in the Bible, the content of each book remained in tact. You have to understand the criteria for what was included and what was not. The book of Thomas for example was a gnostic view of God not exactly in keeping with the others so why would it be included? While some books were selected for inclusion other not, there was no attempt to alter the content of either.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2015 07:48 PM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
03-22-2015 07:47 PM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-22-2015 07:32 PM)Niner National Wrote:  The bible that you know today was edited to the beliefs of those before you.

Are you used to talking to Christians that are completely ignorant of Church History.

Quote:There are a number of gospels that were excluded by the Catholic church to form the bible as we know it today.

Ok find me in one of those writings something where Jesus says

"I was totally kidding that time when I said 'I am the way, the truth, and the light'"
03-23-2015 02:21 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK

---

Doesn't seem like he has much use for a Bible.
03-23-2015 08:53 AM
G-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Truth & Justice
(03-22-2015 07:32 PM)Niner National Wrote:  The bible that you know today was edited to the beliefs of those before you.

It wasn't the "Catholic church" that excluded supposed "gospels" that were at best, suspect in their origin, and at worst completely spurious--reflecting pagan beliefs that were never a part of Christian doctrine as taught by the original Apostles and their own disciples. It was independent bishops from various cities and locales voluntarily submitting to each other's authority, when meeting at a council in Nicea.

As far as the "books" (writings) chosen, one man, Athanasius, actually put together a list well before this council met, of which writings reflected sound Christian doctrine and which did not. Also only four of these writings are "gospels." The vast majority are epistles. The bishops who attended the council, concurred. These writings became the "cannon". However, one (the Revelation of John) was not allowed to be part of church services (deemed not to be acceptable for public reading during Christian gatherings of the Church), and many believed it shouldn't have been included at all.

Also, if the "bible we know today isn't the word of god", then what is "the word of god"? Tell me if and where you think this word of god exists? And by all means, what does it say about who God is and who is Christ?
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2015 05:13 PM by G-Man.)
03-23-2015 05:07 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
And with this we should read Matthew 24:24.

24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. Matt 24:24

This chapter really pins down what we are seeing now in this new era. I would advise you to read it and tell me it's not coming true.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/nkjv/matthew/24.html
03-23-2015 05:25 PM
ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(03-23-2015 02:21 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Are you used to talking to Christians that are completely ignorant of Church History.

Quote:There are a number of gospels that were excluded by the Catholic church to form the bible as we know it today.

Ok find me in one of those writings something where Jesus says

"I was totally kidding that time when I said 'I am the way, the truth, and the light'"

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

What a great post and so on point.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2015 10:06 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-25-2015 10:06 PM
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

(03-23-2015 05:07 PM)G-Man Wrote:  .

Also, if the "bible we know today isn't the word of god", then what is "the word of god"? Tell me if and where you think this word of god exists? And by all means, what does it say about who God is and who is Christ?

For some reason, some want to pretend there is a God who created the entire universe, but making sure men wrote, gathered and kept his WORD is a bit too far fetched.

lol

I had a friend who told me once that he thought there was a creator of everything, but splitting the red sea was just to hard to believe. I'd always say, "yea, that SOOOO much harder than creating the entire universe. Red Seas are a pain in the butt."
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 07:42 PM by ericsrevenge76.)
03-25-2015 10:10 PM
gobluebigjon Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball?
This thread is comedy gold.
What does it take to be a Christian?
03-25-2015 11:41 PM
gobluebigjon Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball?
(03-22-2015 07:47 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  
(03-22-2015 07:32 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

---

While they may have selected the books included in the Bible, the content of each book remained in tact. You have to understand the criteria for what was included and what was not. The book of Thomas for example was a gnostic view of God not exactly in keeping with the others so why would it be included? While some books were selected for inclusion other not, there was no attempt to alter the content of either.

I am a big fan of the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. I know not the same, but entertiaining.
03-25-2015 11:45 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

(03-25-2015 11:41 PM)gobluebigjon Wrote:  This thread is comedy gold.
What does it take to be a Christian?

When this is the center of your faith..

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2015 11:54 PM by Bull_In_Exile.)
03-25-2015 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.