Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Government Lobbying for FBS membership
Bookmark and Share
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
So Liberty had Cruz (or his people) lobbying for Liberty to be added to FBS as a conference member to an undetermined conference. What are your thoughts on this? I know Liberty is not the only school to do such things. Both WVU and Louisville did the same with the Big XII. I am sure others have done as much... VT?

This can be a good thing or it can backfire. I am not sure why LU let that information out in the first place. I am glad folks are speaking positively on behalf of the university and I hope it works out positively.
03-25-2015 04:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: Government Lobbying for FBS membership
Cruz isn't the only one who lobbied for Liberty. I believe the Louisiana governor did as well.

I don't have a problem with it. The benefits outweigh the negatives to me.
03-25-2015 05:35 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(03-25-2015 04:57 PM)army56mike Wrote:  So Liberty had Cruz (or his people) lobbying for Liberty to be added to FBS as a conference member to an undetermined conference. What are your thoughts on this? I know Liberty is not the only school to do such things. Both WVU and Louisville did the same with the Big XII. I am sure others have done as much... VT?

This can be a good thing or it can backfire. I am not sure why LU let that information out in the first place. I am glad folks are speaking positively on behalf of the university and I hope it works out positively.
For any years prior to Virginia Tech joining the ACC, Virginia always blocked all attempts for them to be invited in the conference. VT had always been in the past considered an Ag school with VA being the white collar exec wanna bees. VT languished in VA shadows for many years. It was not until the politicians weighed in and pressured VA that VT finally got an acceptance in the ACC. I believe Mark Warner who has been governor and is our current senator was active in the swaying. In Va, we have precedent of elected VA officials lobbying on the behalf of state schools and conference memberships. Was this a wise move by LU to have Cruz discuss with Texas prez SBC membership? Maybe folks who read this from Texas can shed some light.
03-25-2015 05:45 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
If you read the articles, it wasn't actually Cruz lobbying for us. It was members of his staff. I know it sounds like a weak distinction, but there is a difference. Every school uses whatever friends it can bring into the pocture to help their situation. There was certainly nothing illegal or unethical about the situation. And I'll repeat something that many in San Marcos might deny, but Texas State is not one of our barriers. UTA may have issues with us, but not TSU according to what I have heard. On the other hand, the Louisiana & Arkansas schools are firmly entrenched against our candidacy at last check.
03-25-2015 08:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU & Syracuse
They need to get Willie Robertson to lobby ULM for us!
03-25-2015 09:26 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
We probably already have. In my opinion Ark St. is the litch pin keeping us from the Sun Belt.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2015 06:58 AM by Libertygrad01.)
03-26-2015 06:50 AM
Advertisement

SlyFox Offline
1st String

LUOrange - If the rumors are true from my friends on the mountain, it happened.
03-26-2015 09:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(03-26-2015 06:50 AM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  We probably already have. In my opinion Ark St. is the litch pin keeping us from the Sun Belt.

Nope.

Though since we're a less conservative school than many in the SBC, sending Ted Cruz or Bobby Jindal won't do any good. That being said, we're also the most likely to accept Liberty without worrying about the political side.

Liberty's problem is not one school brought you up as an option in the last meeting. Benson loves you, but you can't get voted on without someone bringing you up.
03-26-2015 09:53 AM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I know Ark state has some clout in the SB, along with UL-L. Wouldn't you think if Liberty got those two on board the rest of the western would follow suit?

03-26-2015 10:16 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-26-2015 10:16 AM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I know Ark state has some clout in the SB, along with UL-L. Wouldn't you think if Liberty got those two on board the rest of the western would follow suit?

Not without someone in the East supporting ti as well. You guy don't even have App State's backing currently.
03-26-2015 10:20 AM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

The App State folks supposedly are not opposed. But they are holding out for a change of heart at JMU before backing us for a vote sort of like the stAte folks seem to believe that no one is a good alternative if there remains even a remote chance of Missouri State being an option.
03-26-2015 11:06 AM
Advertisement

Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I don't see the west and east supporting the same member.

03-26-2015 11:17 AM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I honestly think we have a better chance of getting into conf-usa.

03-26-2015 11:18 AM
knucklehead Offline
1st String

I believe there will soon be more movement ,and that will change everthing.
03-26-2015 11:20 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

All that is required is any one shift or movement from any of the conferences and LU will be in the mix. We may or may not be chosen, but we will be a player. I just wish the school to be laser focused with the FBS membership and less with the overt actions that bring the school in the limelight, for good or otherwise.
03-26-2015 11:40 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(03-26-2015 09:53 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-26-2015 06:50 AM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  We probably already have. In my opinion Ark St. is the litch pin keeping us from the Sun Belt.

Nope.

Though since we're a less conservative school than many in the SBC, sending Ted Cruz or Bobby Jindal won't do any good. That being said, we're also the most likely to accept Liberty without worrying about the political side.

Liberty's problem is not one school brought you up as an option in the last meeting. Benson loves you, but you can't get voted on without someone bringing you up.
Who are the power players in the SBC that have the weight to sway the votes? In any group you have leaders and followers. Who are those that carry the most weight?
03-26-2015 11:43 AM
Advertisement

knucklehead Offline
1st String

I also feel that cusa is a more likely spot right now, but if others steal more sbc teams, then it all changes.
03-26-2015 11:59 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(03-26-2015 11:59 AM)knucklehead Wrote:  I also feel that cusa is a more likely spot right now, but if others steal more sbc teams, then it all changes.
I also believe the CUSA may be a more likely landing spot. I know we cannot credibility to the posts about LU on the SBC board, but there seems more acceptance and less vitriol about LU on the CUSA boards.
03-26-2015 12:27 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(03-26-2015 11:43 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(03-26-2015 09:53 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Nope.

Who are the power players in the SBC that have the weight to sway the votes? In any group you have leaders and followers. Who are those that carry the most weight?

Really not sure. Brand new dynamic with all the new teams. West still follows AState and ULL, East used to listen to Troy, but that appears to be shifting towards App/GS
03-26-2015 12:33 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
It'd be nice to get FBS, but in the end it doesn't matter. As long as Liberty follows it's mission and the leadership remains humble and faithful to God, we will get where we need to be. Whether it's FCS or FBS we will strive for excellence.
03-26-2015 03:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.