Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Semi OT - Rick Barnes might be out at Texas
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Sources are saying he's gone. Two immediate candidates to replace him are Gregg Marshall of Wichita State and Shaka Smart of VCU. It would be interesting to see the relationship between Texas and Rice if Smart takes the job.
03-28-2015 05:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YOwl Ming Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Re: RE: Semi OT - Rick Barnes might be out at Texas
(03-28-2015 05:32 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Sources are saying he's gone. Two immediate candidates to replace him are Gregg Marshall of Wichita State and Shaka Smart of VCU. It would be interesting to see the relationship between Texas and Rice if Smart takes the job.

Are those real candidates or "Who does the AA-S think they can buy this time?"
03-28-2015 05:54 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: Semi OT - Rick Barnes might be out at Texas
(03-28-2015 05:54 PM)YOwl Ming Wrote:  
(03-28-2015 05:32 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Sources are saying he's gone. Two immediate candidates to replace him are Gregg Marshall of Wichita State and Shaka Smart of VCU. It would be interesting to see the relationship between Texas and Rice if Smart takes the job.

Are those real candidates or "Who does the AA-S think they can buy this time?"

Can Patterson cough up enough money to entice Calipari?
03-28-2015 07:45 PM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

I heard it's always been Todd Graham's dream job. "When you give your son a ball, he doesn't want to pass it, but he wants to shoot it".
03-28-2015 07:51 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2015 07:51 PM)bobreinhold1 Wrote:  I heard it's always been Todd Graham's dream job. "When you give your son a ball, he doesn't want to pass it, but he wants to shoot it".

Bravo Bob03-lmfao
03-28-2015 07:54 PM
Minnewaska Owl Offline
2nd String

To be honest, the minute I heard Shaka Smart's name floated as being interested in the UT job, I got nervous. I would think Rhoades would be number one on VCU's want list - and the lure of returning to Virginia would be tough to pass up. Let's hope Shaka stays at VCU and my feared domino effect does not happen.
03-29-2015 11:09 AM
Advertisement

Houston Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I would say your fear is very widely held.
03-29-2015 11:22 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
As an in-state rival, I'd prefer UT not hire VCU's current HC.
Would be a great get for them if they could pull it off.
03-29-2015 12:09 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
Unreal to think that Shaka Smart is still only 37.
03-29-2015 01:03 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
There are other former VCU assistants who are current head coaches in the NCAA's. Rhoades is one obviously but he would just be one candidate if Smart goes. And I think Will Wade (Chattanooga head coach) would actually be the #1 guy on VCU's list if Smart left. But I also think Wade might end up elsewhere before then, such as Tennessee.

That said, I bet you UT gets Marshall before Smart, who already has turned down a number of very high profile jobs (including UCLA). I don't think Steve Patterson is endearing himself with other coaches the way he handled the Rick Barnes firing, and I would think a lot of coaches wouldn't want a former NBA executive like Patterson looking over their shoulders all the time. If Smart is smart (and he has been since day one), then he'd wait for Billy Donovan to go to the NBA and take the Florida job.
03-29-2015 05:01 PM
Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
(03-29-2015 05:01 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  There are other former VCU assistants who are current head coaches in the NCAA's. Rhoades is one obviously but he would just be one candidate if Smart goes. And I think Will Wade (Chattanooga head coach) would actually be the #1 guy on VCU's list if Smart left. But I also think Wade might end up elsewhere before then, such as Tennessee.

That said, I bet you UT gets Marshall before Smart, who already has turned down a number of very high profile jobs (including UCLA). I don't think Steve Patterson is endearing himself with other coaches the way he handled the Rick Barnes firing, and I would think a lot of coaches wouldn't want a former NBA executive like Patterson looking over their shoulders all the time. If Smart is smart (and he has been since day one), then he'd wait for Billy Donovan to go to the NBA and take the Florida job.

Tend to agree with much of this.

As much as I am pro-Coach Rhoades ... on a superficial level he only has one 12 win season at the D1 level.
03-29-2015 05:36 PM
Advertisement

ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(03-29-2015 05:36 PM)Orange County Owl Wrote:  
(03-29-2015 05:01 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  There are other former VCU assistants who are current head coaches in the NCAA's. Rhoades is one obviously but he would just be one candidate if Smart goes. And I think Will Wade (Chattanooga head coach) would actually be the #1 guy on VCU's list if Smart left. But I also think Wade might end up elsewhere before then, such as Tennessee.

Tend to agree with much of this.

As much as I am pro-Coach Rhoades ... on a superficial level he only has one 12 win season at the D1 level.

I hope you and Fort Bend Owl are right, but I am having uncomfortable flashbacks to football 2006.
03-29-2015 08:17 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I truly think Rhoades is as close to the perfect coach for Rice as may be humanly possible, so I have absolutely zero desire to see him go. But if he were to leave, remember this: his replacement would be selected by the same person who hired him. That gives me great confidence.
03-29-2015 08:23 PM
HawaiiOwl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
Since it has been clear for quite some time that Shaka is a hot commodity, one would hope (assume) that this scenario was addresses w Rhoades during the hiring process.
03-29-2015 10:05 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Some comments on this ESPN story about Barnes' post-firing news conference say some pretty bad things about how Texas AD Patterson treated folks when he was at the Rockets, Trail Blazers and Arizona State (e.g., the way he handled the firing of baseball coach Pat Murphy).
03-29-2015 10:33 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-29-2015 08:23 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I truly think Rhoades is as close to the perfect coach for Rice as may be humanly possible, so I have absolutely zero desire to see him go. But if he were to leave, remember this: his replacement would be selected by the same person who hired him. That gives me great confidence.

I like our basketball coach too. But you're forgetting Wayne in this analysis, or if you're looking at the current time frame, you're forgetting Wayne, circa 1992.

It's early still, and Rhoades COULD exceed a single national championship I suppose (assuming he wouldn't bolt within 2 hours of cutting down the nets), but as of right now, Rhoades comes in #2 in the perfect Rice coach description.
03-29-2015 11:35 PM
Advertisement

gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(03-29-2015 10:05 PM)HawaiiOwl Wrote:  Since it has been clear for quite some time that Shaka is a hot commodity, one would hope (assume) that this scenario was addresses w Rhoades during the hiring process.

Rhoades was interviewed for a couple of head coaching jobs the year before, including FIU (I believe). Whether he was the front-runner for those positions or not, part of me says that he may think that Shaka Smart wasn't going anywhere in the near-future, which is why he ultimately took the Rice job. Otherwise, he was the obvious in-house replacement for Smart if he were to move. Being able to take over a top 25 caliber program is a pretty big carrot for being patient.

VCU is still going to have to find the $$$ to keep Smart around, but they've done it so far and are really investing in that basketball program.
03-30-2015 08:05 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(03-29-2015 11:35 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  
(03-29-2015 08:23 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I truly think Rhoades is as close to the perfect coach for Rice as may be humanly possible, so I have absolutely zero desire to see him go. But if he were to leave, remember this: his replacement would be selected by the same person who hired him. That gives me great confidence.

I like our basketball coach too. But you're forgetting Wayne in this analysis, or if you're looking at the current time frame, you're forgetting Wayne, circa 1992.

It's early still, and Rhoades COULD exceed a single national championship I suppose (assuming he wouldn't bolt within 2 hours of cutting down the nets), but as of right now, Rhoades comes in #2 in the perfect Rice coach description.

Let's not ignore some of the other sports. I'd actually argue that the consistently near top 25 performance by the women's tennis team year-in and year-out puts the coach (and it's embarrassing I really don't know the name) in line for another perfect Rice coach. And women's swimming gets very good results, too.
03-30-2015 08:08 AM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

(03-29-2015 10:33 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Some comments on this ESPN story about Barnes' post-firing news conference say some pretty bad things about how Texas AD Patterson treated folks when he was at the Rockets, Trail Blazers and Arizona State (e.g., the way he handled the firing of baseball coach Pat Murphy).

Patterson is definitely not winning any popularity contests around Austin. But I think part of that may be that he's making necessary changes after a regime that was at UT for a long time.
03-30-2015 08:52 AM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-30-2015 08:52 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  
(03-29-2015 10:33 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  Some comments on this ESPN story about Barnes' post-firing news conference say some pretty bad things about how Texas AD Patterson treated folks when he was at the Rockets, Trail Blazers and Arizona State (e.g., the way he handled the firing of baseball coach Pat Murphy).

Patterson is definitely not winning any popularity contests around Austin. But I think part of that may be that he's making necessary changes after a regime that was at UT for a long time.

Part of it is like what is happening at A&M and the GOP. Old money donors vs new money donors with the old ones feeling left out after being on the inside for so long.
03-30-2015 09:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.