Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

impact of new ball
Owl Is In Chains Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
impact of new ball
http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/articl...39-percent

This link has a comparison in stats between this year and last, assessing the impact of the new ball. Of note, HRs are up 39%. Also sacrifice hits are down to 0.66 per team per game from 0.76 for 2014. The average team has two successful bunts in three games. Also, for every four successful bunts, there are three home runs.
04-01-2015 07:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: impact of new ball
So we are still playing with the old ball? /s
04-02-2015 06:55 AM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

It looks like it sometimes. :)
(04-02-2015 06:55 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  So we are still playing with the old ball? /s
04-02-2015 10:14 AM
Advertisement

13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
(04-02-2015 10:14 AM)OldOwl Wrote:  It looks like it sometimes. :)
(04-02-2015 06:55 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  So we are still playing with the old ball? /s

...saving money and not using the new balls until the old ones run out is good fiscal stewardship. j/k
04-02-2015 10:23 AM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(04-02-2015 10:23 AM)13thOwl Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 10:14 AM)OldOwl Wrote:  It looks like it sometimes. :)

...saving money and not using the new balls until the old ones run out is good fiscal stewardship. j/k

It's always about the money with you ! You a bean counter or sumfin 05-mafia
04-02-2015 10:58 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
Midseason report shows Division I baseball home runs up 39 percent | NCAA.com

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/articl...39-percent Wrote:As of March 29, runs scored in a game are up five percent, and the batting average is basically flat from .268 in 2014 to .269 in 2015. However, this season, strikeouts have risen from 6.64 per nine innings in 2014 to 7.34 per nine innings in 2015, an increase of 10.5 percent.

This makes me wonder how much the change in ball is responsible for the change in results. If both strikeouts and HR go up, that could just be a result of more kids swinging for the fences than swinging to make contact. If HR went up without an increase in strikeouts, then I'd say there's more to it than a change in approach by the batters.

Maybe if they'd phased in the new balls by having a year with a controlled study involving placebos, the collegiate baseball amateur statisticians society would've been a bit more happy...
04-02-2015 11:34 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(04-01-2015 07:42 PM)Owl Is In Chains Wrote:  http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/articl...39-percent

This link has a comparison in stats between this year and last, assessing the impact of the new ball. Of note, HRs are up 39%. Also sacrifice hits are down to 0.66 per team per game from 0.76 for 2014. The average team has two successful bunts in three games. Also, for every four successful bunts, there are three home runs.

Good post. Not only is the introduction of fact-based analysis to the message board very welcome (especially in a first post), but your user name is top notch.
04-02-2015 02:50 PM
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(04-02-2015 11:34 AM)I45owl Wrote:  Midseason report shows Division I baseball home runs up 39 percent | NCAA.com

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/articl...39-percent Wrote:As of March 29, runs scored in a game are up five percent, and the batting average is basically flat from .268 in 2014 to .269 in 2015. However, this season, strikeouts have risen from 6.64 per nine innings in 2014 to 7.34 per nine innings in 2015, an increase of 10.5 percent.

This makes me wonder how much the change in ball is responsible for the change in results. If both strikeouts and HR go up, that could just be a result of more kids swinging for the fences than swinging to make contact. If HR went up without an increase in strikeouts, then I'd say there's more to it than a change in approach by the batters.

Maybe if they'd phased in the new balls by having a year with a controlled study involving placebos, the collegiate baseball amateur statisticians society would've been a bit more happy...

I think you may be overthinking this a little.

When batters don't think they can get the ball out of the park (last year) they might cut down on their swing and try to drive it where it is pitched (resulting in fewer K's).

Conversely, once they see the new ball carries further, they may be more likely to take bigger cuts, thinking they can put it out if the park.

Thus the new ball would accomplish both results. The percentage increase in HRs might be a tad higher as a result of some players changing their approach, but the change in approach would not have occurred if there had not already been a noticeable increase in distance (HRs) due to a livelier ball.

In other words in this case you can probably assume which came first, the chicken or the egg.
04-02-2015 02:53 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(04-02-2015 02:50 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(04-01-2015 07:42 PM)Owl Is In Chains Wrote:  http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/articl...39-percent

Good post. Not only is the introduction of fact-based analysis to the message board very welcome (especially in a first post), but your user name is top notch.

Agree.

It's also good to see the positive impact on the game the ball has had, and that Rice was at the forefront of pushing for this change.
04-02-2015 02:56 PM
13thOwl Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice University
Baseball GeniusDonatorsFootball Genius
(04-02-2015 02:50 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  

Is the user from Seaowltle?
04-02-2015 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.