Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Realignment News
Bookmark and Share
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
Any news or rumors on conference realignment? Last year rumors were all over the place by this time. Is it possible we aren't going to be making the same effort we did last go around?
04-06-2015 03:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: Conference Realignment News
I don't have any sources to ask. However there are some winds of C-USA making a move. The Sun Belt board has posted that C-USA is torn on who replaces UAB if they are booted. The east wants either JMU or Liberty. Allegedly.
04-06-2015 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

(04-06-2015 03:22 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I don't have any sources to ask. However there are some winds of C-USA making a move. The Sun Belt board has posted that C-USA is torn on who replaces UAB if they are booted. The east wants either JMU or Liberty. Allegedly.

I saw that but it feels like a rumor born out of another rumor that's taken shape as a legitimate one. Everyone seems so quite about things this time around.
04-06-2015 04:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
It appears the SB and Conf-USA are in the same boat. West teams won't agree on adding an eastern team and eastern teams won't agree on a western add. Liberty may be a front runner for an eastern add in conf-usa if the eastern teams had enough votes. A compact east division with close travel is appealing, but I'm not sure if the western teams would ever approve that.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
04-07-2015 07:47 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
The news that conference championship game guidelines are going to be relaxed, might squash anymore realignment or FCS move ups.

Maybe at the time of rules changes the NCAA will allow a one time FCS move up to FBS.

If we could find 5 more schools we could have a conference.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 06:52 PM by army56mike.)
04-07-2015 06:51 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(04-07-2015 06:51 PM)army56mike Wrote:  The news that conference championship game guidelines are going to be relaxed, might squash anymore realignment or FCS move ups.

Maybe at the time of rules changes the NCAA will allow a one time FCS move up to FBS.

If we could find 5 more schools we could have a conference.

Not an FBS league. 8 random FCS teams cannot form their own FBS League...they have to join an existing league to move up.

You could find 7 other schools who are current FBS members and start a new league with them and move up that way.

Championship De Reg is going to really hurt your SBC Chances unfortunately. It allows the SBC the ability to start a title game without needing a 12th team, and while we'll still likely go to 12 for scheduling purposes, it means we can basically choose who we want, knowing we have the last spot to the dance for a while.

Your best shot requires CUSA to take South Alabama, eliminating another East member, and probably forcing the league to look East for it's next expansion choices.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 06:59 PM by chiefsfan.)
04-07-2015 06:56 PM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
(04-07-2015 06:56 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Not an FBS league. 8 random FCS teams cannot form their own FBS League...they have to join an existing league to move up.

Yes, I understand the rules, which is why I suggested the NCAA would have to make a one time exception.
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2015 07:22 PM by army56mike.)
04-07-2015 07:19 PM
GE and MTS Offline

It could help us in a sense that we'd basically have to ask politely (while carrying a big stick labeled "lawsuit") to join FBS as an independent. Not saying that's what I want to do, but it may force our hand. Then the Sun Belt or whoever can invite us in a couple of years so as to avoid the negativity of inviting an FCS school. But that's a long shot as well.
04-07-2015 07:30 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(04-07-2015 07:30 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  It could help us in a sense that we'd basically have to ask politely (while carrying a big stick labeled "lawsuit") to join FBS as an independent. Not saying that's what I want to do, but it may force our hand. Then the Sun Belt or whoever can invite us in a couple of years so as to avoid the negativity of inviting an FCS school. But that's a long shot as well.
The longer this plays out, the lawsuit longshot you mention may be our only or best shot. I hope not.
04-07-2015 08:54 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
I've brought this up before and got hammered of FF. Liberty will not sit back year after year with their hands tied with absolutely no path to FBS. I'm not certain a lawsuit would ever happen b/c frankly the NCAA would lose. An antitrust suit would show that the NCAA doesn't have a level playing field and a team that meets all the requirements have no way to advance.

The question is would Liberty move up if it meant going indy? The scheduling would be horrendous late in the season when other teams are playing conference games. Would the Big South allow Liberty to keep the other sports in the league?
04-07-2015 10:14 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I keep checking FF's to see their reaction to the 12 team requirement being relaxed but it appears no one has posted about it. I guess news travels slow when you live in a bubble 03-razz
04-08-2015 05:27 AM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(04-07-2015 10:14 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  I've brought this up before and got hammered of FF. Liberty will not sit back year after year with their hands tied with absolutely no path to FBS. I'm not certain a lawsuit would ever happen b/c frankly the NCAA would lose. An antitrust suit would show that the NCAA doesn't have a level playing field and a team that meets all the requirements have no way to advance.

The question is would Liberty move up if it meant going indy? The scheduling would be horrendous late in the season when other teams are playing conference games. Would the Big South allow Liberty to keep the other sports in the league?
LG, FF may have hammered you there, here others see including myself, the threat of litigation, as a last resort, the very big stick that Liberty has. It was a point I made 5 years ago when I joined here, and I received my first reputation points. I agree 100%.

Now the hope is an invite comes. It's the easiest path for LU. But if not, in a strange twist, the removal of the 12 team championship rule may strengthen LU's position, making it even harder for a team meeting the regs to get an invite. The weak link is that the NCAA sets the guidelines but the conferences make the invites.

This is the ultimate good ole boy network where first everyone positions themselves to receive their part of the pie, or revenue. That's mostly TV contacts. Rest assured that all sport networks, and the revenue they generate, are involved in these invites to a great degree. Then the administration and prez pontificate about academic standards and hide behind their self important standards, when it's all about the money. LU's invite is based mostly on money. There is no doubt that if the school had been more successful in football in the past, we would have been FBS long ago, even with all our baggage and past and current missteps. One year making the FCS playoff is hardly a claim of consistency. App St, JMU, GaSo all have been good and all have won FCS championships. GaSt is the power of the Atlanta market only as that is a train wreck of a program in FB.

Which brings us back to our position today. If there is one point that folks on this board don't clearly see, it's the desire for the school to achieve FBS. Those that slam us down, time and again, really have no conception of the invested interest LU has, and the extent LU will go to, to be treated fairly to be FBS. Talk about the mouse that roared, if years go by and we're still having this dialogue, rest assured the NCAA will cower when they get a whiff that LU is considering litigation. They will relent and allow LU to be indy.

When I've posted the indy route in the past, the naysayers comes out and state it is against the current rules. If there is a challenge, many of the rules will be rewritten. There is a thread on the SBC board now commenting on how few people outside of VA even know who Liberty is. If LU goes the litigation route, lots of people will know about Liberty. As the Cruz announcement at LU had news legs for about 4 days, an NCAA suit will be ongoing for months and maybe years. Sportscenter and ESPN will report it, and repeat report it and every sports outlet will gobble it up. It will be a circus of activity of talking heads stating their position. It will be big news.

Let's hope cool heads and wisdom prevails and that the NCAA changes the rules, and the conferences and schools get their money. If not, they'll lose and LU will be indy and we'll stuggle with scheduling initially, until a fair system is in place. And LU is in a conference.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 05:48 AM by NewTimes.)
04-08-2015 05:40 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(04-08-2015 05:27 AM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  I keep checking FF's to see their reaction to the 12 team requirement being relaxed but it appears no one has posted about it. I guess news travels slow when you live in a bubble 03-razz
I'm glad you and others visit there to keep us updated here, about what's going on there.
04-08-2015 05:54 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I hope we can at least get a football-only invite to get our foot in the door. I have no doubt that the Big South will keep us even if we dropped football from the conference.

Sadly we can't prove that we are good conference members without first being a conference member.
04-08-2015 07:49 AM
PAmedic Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty
we have a 194 page Conf Realignment thread with 9688 posts and 251551 views, going back to 2009

https://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewtop...12&t=15624

safe to say we've talked about it Ad infinitum, we're pretty much exhausted at this point

most conferences have MORE than clearly indicated there will be little or no movement this year

obviously that could change

until then- whats the point of obsessing about it? It ceased being fun long ago.

oddly enough adding threats of litigation DONT MAKE IT ANY MORE FUN
04-08-2015 08:16 AM
PAmedic Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty
(04-08-2015 07:49 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I hope we can at least get a football-only invite to get our foot in the door. I have no doubt that the Big South will keep us even if we dropped football from the conference.

Sadly we can't prove that we are good conference members without first being a conference member.

LUAD Jeff Barber has repeatedly stated ALL sports go

when we move FB the rest go along with it
04-08-2015 08:17 AM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(04-08-2015 08:16 AM)PAmedic Wrote:  we have a 194 page Conf Realignment thread with 9688 posts and 251551 views, going back to 2009

https://www.flamefans.com/forums/viewtop...12&t=15624

safe to say we've talked about it Ad infinitum, we're pretty much exhausted at this point

most conferences have MORE than clearly indicated there will be little or no movement this year

obviously that could change

until then- whats the point of obsessing about it? It ceased being fun long ago.

oddly enough adding threats of litigation DONT MAKE IT ANY MORE FUN
A reason to discuss it now is that a major change has occurred that could influence whether LU gets an invite or not. This is what teams do. App St and GaSo did it and they got it. They took ribbing from the SBC before they were accepted. LU is different as a private school with overt positions.

True this has been discussed in great detail in the past. But as LU seeks FBS membership, it will only increase from those that want it, and from those who want to deny it.
04-08-2015 08:20 AM
GE and MTS Offline

(04-08-2015 08:17 AM)PAmedic Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 07:49 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I hope we can at least get a football-only invite to get our foot in the door. I have no doubt that the Big South will keep us even if we dropped football from the conference.

Obviously that's ideal but if the Sun Belt came to us and gave us the option of either football-only or they would invite UMass football-only then I would be extremely livid if we turned that or any other FBS invite down. Take what you can get.
04-08-2015 08:22 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

One can believe AD Barber when he states that as he has moved the men's and women's sports to be in accordance with the regs for FBS membership. It makes the school more appealing meeting all those standards. And if no invites come from the C-USA, MAC or SBC, one could also assume that a FB only invite would be accepted. If Barber had the decision before him to be FB only with all other sports in the BSC, I believe he would take it in a heartbeat if there were no other options.
04-08-2015 08:24 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(04-08-2015 08:22 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

Obviously that's ideal but if the Sun Belt came to us and gave us the option of either football-only or they would invite UMass football-only then I would be extremely livid if we turned that or any other FBS invite down. Take what you can get.
Agreed.
04-08-2015 08:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.