Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the Big East happy with their exposure and income on Fox Sports?
Savacool Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
Is the Big East happy with their exposure and income on Fox Sports?
I would be interested in your opinion.
05-19-2015 02:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Is the Big East happy with their exposure and income on Fox Sports?
Income I think obviously. I just don't think can be pleased with the exposure. Having title game for instance getting barely over 400k viewers is a joke(40% down from year before still on FS1). I don't think anyone thought that FS1 would struggle quite as much as it has so far. The talk programming has almost totally been scrapped.
05-19-2015 03:01 PM
BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football
The cash grab by the C7 was the best thing to happen for the AAC. It created a programming void with the WWL that provided for a new conference to build a brand (having UConn, Memphis, SMU, Temple, etc, didn't hurt).
The C7 mistakingly thought that the "Big East" name was the most important asset in the divorce. It wasn't. It was those ESPN windows.
As a fan of a team on the outside, I think it's great. I wish we all had that opportunity.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2015 04:51 PM by BoKnows.)
05-19-2015 04:47 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I suspect they are. FS1 is now in more homes than when they first started and it is becoming more known and they still have 10 years to go. In addition, they still get games on the FOX OTA channel.
I don't think the Big East is worried and are happy with what they are getting both $$ and exposure.
05-19-2015 05:11 PM
OrangeCrush22 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
Considering each school takes in like $5 million a year from the TV deal, more per school than the G5, I'd say they're more than happy with their income. Fox definitely needs to do a better job at advertising Fox Sports to draw some eyeballs. I remember some Big East promos during basketball season, but right now Fox is lucky that MLS is pushing the Soccer Sunday ad campaign as it's Fox Sports' only exposure.
05-19-2015 05:17 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-19-2015 05:11 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  I suspect they are. FS1 is now in more homes than when they first started and it is becoming more known and they still have 10 years to go. In addition, they still get games on the FOX OTA channel.
I don't think the Big East is worried and are happy with what they are getting both $$ and exposure.

FS1 I don't think is in more homes now than when they first started. If anything it's less because of things like the ATT Universe situation where folks tune to watch something, and they get darts reruns.

Big East absolutely should be worried with what kind of ratings they've been getting. When your title game gets barely over 400k, that's a problem. It was the 12th highest rated conference championship game this year. Behind conferences like the Horizon, MVC, WCC, MWC, A10, and AAC. Of all the conferences that got multiple teams in the tourney- the Big East had the worst conference title game ratings(and it was the only one under 1.2 million viewers(they had 414k viewers)). How can that not be an issue? Hell- the Southern League at 399k and Summit at 374k were both within 40k of the Big East title game. That's a joke.

The problem that the Big East is going to start to see unfortunately is in recruiting. You know darn well that rival coaches are going to start using the ratings against the Big East.
05-19-2015 05:23 PM
Advertisement

BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football
(05-19-2015 05:23 PM)stever20 Wrote:  You know darn well that rival coaches are going to start using the ratings against the Big East.

And we have a bingo.

Here's an applicable meme from the twitterverse.

[Image: twittersound.gif]

I'd say the tree has relevance issues. Out of sight, out of mind.
That being said, you can "make paper" from the tree, but the paper eventually runs out.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2015 05:32 PM by BoKnows.)
05-19-2015 05:28 PM
Savacool Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
What are the actual ratings I.e. Number of people watching the Big East on Fox.
05-19-2015 05:50 PM
Burrito Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Hoyas
The Big East has money and stability (which are important). They also had a winning record vs the P5 this year. The ratings on FS1 need to improve though.
05-19-2015 05:57 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-19-2015 05:57 PM)Burrito Wrote:  The Big East has money and stability (which are important). They also had a winning record vs the P5 this year. The ratings on FS1 need to improve though.

Totally agree. The only thing that I would add to that would be the NCAA tourney performance. That's got to change. Had 4 sweet 16 seeds the last 2 years(Nova both years, Creighton last year, Georgetown this year)- and none of those made it to the sweet 16. Only Xavier did- helped by Georgia State's upset in rd 1.

And I think if Big East teams performed better in the NCAA tourney, that would subsequently help the ratings out going forward. Not only that but would help in the polls as well, which helps in getting ratings. It's amazing what those little numbers do in helping build up games.
05-19-2015 06:06 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
The surprising TV $$$ deal the new big east received was definitely good for them at the time... However, the biggest knock out punch regret decision that will come to hunt them was separating themselves from football and of course, ESPN.

Away from ESPN and Football will overruled and further decrease the equity they built over the years for them and the big east name, they just don't know it.
05-19-2015 06:55 PM
Advertisement

NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
FS1 will eventually bet big with an NFL or NBA or Big Ten package on their network. Fox networks always brings in a big package when the chips are down. Its their modus operandi. Fox TV lost money on their original NFL package but the value of their affiliates went through the roof because of that deal.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2015 07:25 PM by NoDak.)
05-19-2015 07:23 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-19-2015 07:23 PM)NoDak Wrote:  FS1 will eventually bet big with an NFL or NBA or Big Ten package on their network. Fox networks always brings in a big package when the chips are down. Its their modus operandi. Fox TV lost money on their original NFL package but the value of their affiliates went through the roof because of that deal.

The problem is the NBA just redid their deals with ESPN and Turner- so that's off the table for 10 years.

NFL is off the table for 7 years. Even there, kind of tough to see the NFL leaving ESPN.

The time that FS1 came around was absolutely the worst time possible in terms of sports properties being available. 1-2 years earlier, and they have a lot more options.
05-19-2015 07:35 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
The Big East received 5 bids and a #1 seed this year, so I don't think their lack of exposure hurt they too badly this year.
05-19-2015 07:53 PM
LSUtah Offline
1st String

I Root For: LSU
The Big East without the football schools is exactly what we all knew it would be...the A10. I don't know why anyone continues to be surprised by this.
05-20-2015 12:28 AM
jdgaucho Online
All American

I Root For: UCSB
There is still a nationally recognized brand with Georgetown and Villanova. You have a tourney regular in Xavier, a success story in Butler (from the Horizon to the Big East)... it could be a whole lot worse.

I don't know the numbers for FS1 but I would expect the tv numbers to improve next year and two years from now.
05-20-2015 12:42 AM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(05-19-2015 05:17 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Fox definitely needs to do a better job at advertising Fox Sports to draw some eyeballs. I remember some Big East promos during basketball season, but right now Fox is lucky that MLS is pushing the Soccer Sunday ad campaign as it's Fox Sports' only exposure.

Fox does a good job of promoting it. It has not translated to viewers yet, but they most certainly have tried.
05-20-2015 12:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jdgaucho Online
All American

I Root For: UCSB
(05-20-2015 12:48 AM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(05-19-2015 05:17 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  Fox definitely needs to do a better job at advertising Fox Sports to draw some eyeballs. I remember some Big East promos during basketball season, but right now Fox is lucky that MLS is pushing the Soccer Sunday ad campaign as it's Fox Sports' only exposure.

Fox does a good job of promoting it. It has not translated to viewers yet, but they most certainly have tried.

that can (should?) change when the calendar hits June and July, as MLS only has Major League Baseball as its main competition during the summer.
05-20-2015 12:50 AM
MUsince96 Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
I never understood the "they have no exposure" argument. FS1 is in 84 million homes on the expanded tier right there with ESPN. It's not hard to find, I just think the new line-up of schools hasn't resonated with the public yet. It doesn't feel like Big East basketball since all the defections.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2015 06:30 AM by MUsince96.)
05-20-2015 06:30 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
The A-10 and Big East basketball conferences are both better than the AAC at the moment.
05-20-2015 06:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.