Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SEC Revenue at $455M, $31M/School?
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
SEC Revenue at $455M, $31M/School?
Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
SEC will distribute $31.07M per school in revenue, sources told @ESPN. League made record $455M past year
10:07 AM - 29 May 2015

I see it was posted on the Realignment board, but I don't think it's been discussed here. And I don't want to jump into a conversation that's already on page 14.

If accurate, the ACC will be a cool ~$8-9M behind SEC payouts this year, and primed to only increase over the next 5-10 years. That's much more than I was expecting. I believe they were around a $21M average last year.

If accurate, I hope FSU's on the phone with Texas, OU and ND about forming their own conference. Heck, even if it's not accurate, I'd still meet with them as a contingency.
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2015 11:58 PM by Marge Schott.)
05-29-2015 11:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: SEC Revenue at $455M, $31M/School?
Yep.

And remember that this was a "low tide" year for the SEC because the Sugar Bowl was part of the playoff while it was a "high tide" year for the ACC because the Orange Bowl wasn't. Those roles flip this coming year.
05-30-2015 12:19 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(05-29-2015 11:56 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
SEC will distribute $31.07M per school in revenue, sources told @ESPN. League made record $455M past year

I see it was posted on the Realignment board, but I don't think it's been discussed here. And I don't want to jump into a conversation that's already on page 14.

If accurate, the ACC will be a cool ~$8-9M behind SEC payouts this year, and primed to only increase over the next 5-10 years. That's much more than I was expecting. I believe they were around a $21M average last year.

If accurate, I hope FSU's on the phone with Texas, OU and ND about forming their own conference. Heck, even if it's not accurate, I'd still meet with them as a contingency.

Once the information about the SECN revenue being more than originally anticipated, the disparity should not have been unexpected. It is what it is. Especially since the SEC is the only conference that could equal or exceed the ACC in terms of the CFP/Contract Bowl payouts this year with the Orange not being part of the playoffs and the Sugar/Rose being part of the playoffs.

This OB deal will continue to bite the ACC in the arse as much as the delay in getting the ACCN launched.

And as presently constituted, even if an ACCN were to get launched it would likely only make $2-3 million more per school in the beginning at best.

In regard to your last statement, it would be interesting if that happened but it seems to me only Oklahoma has any experience at being a "conference builder". ND and Texas tend to be conference users, not builders. Not sure what FSU's influence is to get things done. Other than forcing Miami in back in 2003 (and what a mixed bag that was - though not blaming FSU for that) and being extremely influential in Louisville being taken over UConn in 2012 (nice job there) what experience do they have in conference decision making?

Besides it is just much easier to join an existing conference than it is to build one from scratch.

Cheers,
Neil
05-30-2015 02:47 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

Let's see:
Notre Dame does not want to join a conference, and Texas is making more than SEC money with their LHN deal. What's their incentive to do what you suggest?
At this point the real pressure is on ESPN to keep their property relevant and at least somewhat satisfied.
05-30-2015 08:21 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
It will be great to see what the ACC made in FY 15 and gives out to the schools... but if we are only 8 million behind per school without the ACCN..WOW...Just WOW the ACCN will really give the Conf a boost! Even with third tier rights I think the ACCN would easily pay out 8-10 per school....Crazy I do not think the ACC is as far behind as most think...
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 09:49 AM by GTFletch.)
05-30-2015 09:23 AM
samandrea Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC

You should do that. It is time for UNC to make the jump I believe to the SEC. Heck, right now would be a great time to go to the BIG since their contract is up soon.
05-30-2015 09:32 AM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(05-30-2015 08:21 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Let's see:
Notre Dame does not want to join a conference, and Texas is making more than SEC money with their LHN deal. What's their incentive to do what you suggest?
At this point the real pressure is on ESPN to keep their property relevant and at least somewhat satisfied.

Since clearly your African American Studies major taught you nothing, ND would be in discussions for a similar deal they have with the ACC. You do know they are in a conference, right?
05-30-2015 09:45 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(05-30-2015 09:32 AM)samandrea Wrote:  

You should do that. It is time for UNC to make the jump I believe to the SEC. Heck, right now would be a great time to go to the BIG since their contract is up soon.

I'd love to see UNC jump to the SEC or Big Ten and become a nobody, hating your new conference because you're no longer in control of anything. But that's directed more at the general UNC fan than you specifically.
05-30-2015 09:47 AM
samandrea Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(05-30-2015 09:47 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

I'd love to see UNC jump to the SEC or Big Ten and become a nobody, hating your new conference because you're no longer in control of anything. But that's directed more at the general UNC fan than you specifically.

They would be rich though since money is what matters.
05-30-2015 09:50 AM
44AndThe23 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cuse

I'm new to the board and come in peace unless provoked. My question to you sir Since I'm a little far north, Does the common FSU fan simply want out of the ACC or do they like the ACC? I'm just wondering because It sounds like to me your fanbase hates the ACC and wants out.
05-30-2015 09:57 AM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(05-30-2015 09:57 AM)44AndThe23 Wrote:  

I'm new to the board and come in peace unless provoked. My question to you sir Since I'm a little far north, Does the common FSU fan simply want out of the ACC or do they like the ACC? I'm just wondering because It sounds like to me your fanbase hates the ACC and wants out.

There is no monolithic FSU voice....but the boosters (myself included) and folks I know like the ACC, but have MAJOR issues with it.

1. With the coming revenue differences, FSU will not be able to compete for national titles. That is reality and that point ALONE makes the ACC a huge issue.

2. ACC's TV network actively works against ACC Football...mainly due to their relationship with the SEC. When 20-30 of their talking heads are SEC ex players or media and constantly rip the ACC football apart....it makes it unbearable from a football perspective.

ESPN ACTIVELY sent reporters all last year to FSU and embedded them for weeks on end to look through police reports to find dirt on ALL of FSU during the Winston stuff. It is how you heard about HORRIBLE acts of stealing coke, shooting BB guns, and saying cuss word. Meanwhile.....the SEC is CLEAN as a whistle.

3. The SEC supports it's own in big topics (NCAA tourney, football playoffs, etc). The ACC eats it's own. Ask Clemson who years back got NCAA Probation and then the ACC turned around and added to the punishment. Think the SEC would do that? Hell they stand together and basically tell the NCAA to backoff (unless you really believe the SEC is clean in football.....cause they rarely get hammered by the NCAA. I don't believe for a second that UNC is the quintessential cheater in college athletics. Auburn alone would be a gold mine, but NCAA won't touch...$$$$). Swofford didn't lift a finger to back FSU in the playoff discussions this past year after going undefeated.

4. Most are aware that, despite bringing in most of the money for the conference (rip away...it is reality), schools like Wake have more say so in this conference than we do. That is exceedingly frustrating....and leads to a status quo....one that rewards doing nothing and avoiding change. It is killing the ACC and this is the Big East part 2. The ACC didn't learn from that conference....it is reliving it.

Most would be OK with the ACC......but we see the death of a program in a national title competitive sense for football and a conference that won't be a major one within 15 years.
05-30-2015 10:22 AM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

Quote:Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 22h22 hours ago
Bob Bowlsby says from Big 12 meetings, league will distribute $27M to 8 members; TCU & WVU get $23M

That's $26.2M averaged over the 10 schools. What was the ACC last year, ~$20M?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CFP site says conferences will receive roughly $50M base, plus an addition $6M for playoff participants. Then add the ACC's $27.5M for the Orange. So the ACC will receive roughly $83.5M for last season's CFP/NY6 (SEC at $87.5M)?

What were the BCS/Orange Bowl payouts for the 2013 season? I'll assume they were around $20M apiece. So that'd be $43.5M in new revenue this year, which is a tad over $3M/school. If the bowl payouts last year were higher, then the increase per school this year will obviously be lower than $3M, and vice versa. Does Hokie Mark or anyone have these figures?

So the ACC should be around $23-24M after including the annual tv deal bump? I'll change my $8-9M behind the SEC to ~$7M behind the SEC.

The ~$300K/school from the 2015 NCAAT isn't significant enough to affect the numbers greatly.

Also, keep in mind the ACC loses $23.5M next year from the Orange Bowl and the SEC gains $12.5M from the Sugar.
05-30-2015 10:26 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

Most FSU fans don't think the ACC is great. I'll put it like that.
05-30-2015 10:33 AM
44AndThe23 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cuse
(05-30-2015 10:22 AM)nole Wrote:  

There is no monolithic FSU voice....but the boosters (myself included) and folks I know like the ACC, but have MAJOR issues with it.

1. With the coming revenue differences, FSU will not be able to compete for national titles. That is reality and that point ALONE makes the ACC a huge issue.

2. ACC's TV network actively works against ACC Football...mainly due to their relationship with the SEC. When 20-30 of their talking heads are SEC ex players or media and constantly rip the ACC football apart....it makes it unbearable from a football perspective.

ESPN ACTIVELY sent reporters all last year to FSU and embedded them for weeks on end to look through police reports to find dirt on ALL of FSU during the Winston stuff. It is how you heard about HORRIBLE acts of stealing coke, shooting BB guns, and saying cuss word. Meanwhile.....the SEC is CLEAN as a whistle.

3. The SEC supports it's own in big topics (NCAA tourney, football playoffs, etc). The ACC eats it's own. Ask Clemson who years back got NCAA Probation and then the ACC turned around and added to the punishment. Think the SEC would do that? Hell they stand together and basically tell the NCAA to backoff (unless you really believe the SEC is clean in football.....cause they rarely get hammered by the NCAA. I don't believe for a second that UNC is the quintessential cheater in college athletics. Auburn alone would be a gold mine, but NCAA won't touch...$$$$). Swofford didn't lift a finger to back FSU in the playoff discussions this past year after going undefeated.

4. Most are aware that, despite bringing in most of the money for the conference (rip away...it is reality), schools like Wake have more say so in this conference than we do. That is exceedingly frustrating....and leads to a status quo....one that rewards doing nothing and avoiding change. It is killing the ACC and this is the Big East part 2. The ACC didn't learn from that conference....it is reliving it.

Most would be OK with the ACC......but we see the death of a program in a national title competitive sense for football and a conference that won't be a major one within 15 years.

Ok just wondering. That's basically what I was expecting
05-30-2015 10:58 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(05-30-2015 10:26 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
Bob Bowlsby says from Big 12 meetings, league will distribute $27M to 8 members; TCU & WVU get $23M

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CFP site says conferences will receive roughly $50M base, plus an addition $6M for playoff participants. Then add the ACC's $27.5M for the Orange. So the ACC will receive roughly $83.5M for last season's CFP/NY6 (SEC at $87.5M)?

What were the BCS/Orange Bowl payouts for the 2013 season? I'll assume they were around $20M apiece. So that'd be $43.5M in new revenue this year, which is a tad over $3M/school. If the bowl payouts last year were higher, then the increase per school this year will obviously be lower than $3M, and vice versa. Does Hokie Mark or anyone have these figures?

So the ACC should be around $23-24M after including the annual tv deal bump? I'll change my $8-9M behind the SEC to ~$7M behind the SEC.

The ~$300K/school from the 2015 NCAAT isn't significant enough to affect the numbers greatly.

Also, keep in mind the ACC loses $23.5M next year from the Orange Bowl and the SEC gains $12.5M from the Sugar.

Please back off the cliff....
the ACCN will launch in 2016 or 2018.... You are worried about ACC schools getting $7M behind the SEC.... When the ACCN launches the ACC schools will get that 7 M to draw even with the SEC, heck they may even get more...

Read here before you jump...

http://csnbbs.com/thread-738918.html
05-30-2015 11:16 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(05-30-2015 11:16 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  
(05-30-2015 10:26 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

Please back off the cliff....
the ACCN will launch in 2016 or 2018.... You are worried about ACC schools getting $7M behind the SEC.... When the ACCN launches the ACC schools will get that 7 M to draw even with the SEC, heck they may even get more...

Be careful those wings don't burn out Icarus because you are getting too close to the sun. Will an ACCN launch? I think so, yes. But it isn't absolutely certain. Yet let's say it is, there is no way of knowing if it will be anywhere near as successful as the SECN or BTN. It would more likely be closer to PACN then either of the two super conferences.

There is a fine line between the doom and gloomers and the pollyannas on this board.

I don't care if one sees the glass as half empty or half full, but I don't get why a few on this board continue to either see the glass as completely empty or completely full.

In today's college athletic landscape, the ACC, along with the B12 and the PAC are tweener conferences. They all have their strengths and they all have their weaknesses. But we all live in the shadow of the SEC and the B1G whose strengths completely outweigh their weaknesses.

End of rant.

Cheers,
Neil
05-30-2015 11:25 AM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(05-30-2015 09:45 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(05-30-2015 08:21 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Let's see:

Since clearly your African American Studies major taught you nothing, ND would be in discussions for a similar deal they have with the ACC. You do know they are in a conference, right?

There are some that might take that as a tasteless racist comment directed at Julius N'yangoro (whose term as Dean of the African-American Studies program coincided with the beginning of some well discussed classes on this forum) or the approximately 700 African-American students (60% female. 40% male, most of which, by the way, were not enrolled in African-American Studies as a major) which made up about 7% of the UNC student population in the 1990's.
When I was graduated from The University of North Carolina there was no African-American Studies Program.
05-30-2015 11:42 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
Re: RE: SEC Revenue at $455M, $31M/School?

You used this years payout for the SEC and last year's payout for the ACC. This assumes that the SEC got a bump from the playoff payouts but the ACC will not. Last year the difference in distributions for the two conferences was ~$100k in favor of the SEC. This year both conferences placed a team in the playoffs and neither advanced beyond the semifinals. The revenue there should be about even. The bowl payouts and the SEC network should account for the remainder of the difference. The ACC may have an edge in NCAAT money but spread across 15 members I doubt it will be significant. If the ACC is within $1-3 million without the SECN money accounted for we will be fine. The ACCN is coming. That will close the gap enough to stay within striking distance. Please elaborate how it is primed to increase over the next 5-10 years. Once the ACC announces their payout for this year ending in June we can see just how deep the hole is. My guess will be under $2 million when the SECN is accounted for.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 12:17 PM by Shannon Panther.)
05-30-2015 12:15 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Didn't the SEC extend their ESPN contract to get the Network up and running?
05-30-2015 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(05-30-2015 12:15 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  

You used this years payout for the SEC and last year's payout for the ACC. This assumes that the SEC got a bump from the playoff payouts but the ACC will not. Last year the difference in distributions for the two conferences was ~$100k in favor of the SEC. This year both conferences placed a team in the playoffs and neither advanced beyond the semifinals. The revenue there should be about even. The bowl payouts and the SEC network should account for the remainder of the difference. The ACC may have an edge in NCAAT money but spread across 15 members I doubt it will be significant. If the ACC is within $1-3 million without the SECN money accounted for we will be fine. The ACCN is coming. That will close the gap enough to stay within striking distance. Please elaborate how it is primed to increase over the next 5-10 years. Once the ACC announces their payout for this year ending in June we can see just how deep the hole is. My guess will be under $2 million when the SECN is accounted for.

More likely $5-7M short. They already had a superior TV contract, they made more than the ACC in terms of CFP and other bowls, they will make less in terms of NCAA units, and if the reports are accurate the SEC has $5 million more per team as a result of the SECN, something the ACC has no equivalent to.

Cheers,
Neil
05-30-2015 12:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.