Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

JMU's blunder, Liberty's gain
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
JMU's blunder, Liberty's gain
There is smoke oozing from the JMU forum with the accidentally released email stating that JMU will not offer COA, signed along "peer" schools. Rather than the active JMU forum discussing the JMU/SMU game this week in Dallas, it's hot air galore, calls for heads to roll, convictions to end school support, and pledge of non allegiances to the AD, Prez and school.

The email, accidentally released by VMI as one of the peer schools, has drawn the ire of all. The frustration has escalated as comments from jmusports are being deleted by school officials in an effort to control the response and feedback of JMU fans.

This is one screwed up scenario of poor judgement, unbelievable ineptness and incompetence.

Two points for Liberty. Posters immediately mentioned how Liberty would gain, with their support of full COA for all athletes, very quickly. The second point, perception of the university and it's commitment to it's athletic program. There is one huge, major advantage Liberty has over JMU. It's LU's overt and expressed desire and commitment to it's students and athletes to advance the athletic department in all areas, including COA, facilities and strong, decisive leadership from the AD and college prez.

The window for LU to eclipse JMU in athletic accomplishments, and perception has just significantly shortened for LU, and is closing fast on JMU.

Note: The link of the email on the JMU board was removed with "page is not available".
09-22-2015 10:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
RE: JMU's blunder, Liberty's gain
The upside for FCS schools to offer FCOA is pretty small. The few that offer it will have a easier time being and staying a powerhouse. The majority that don't will stay as they are and they are perfectly fine with that. It's not like FB is making them money anyways, sports is a huge money pit.
09-22-2015 10:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewTimes Offline
All American

(09-22-2015 10:32 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  The upside for FCS schools to offer FCOA is pretty small. The few that offer it will have a easier time being and staying a powerhouse. The majority that don't will stay as they are and they are perfectly fine with that. It's not like FB is making them money anyways, sports is a huge money pit.
The point with JMU though is that they have commissioned the Carr group, like LU, to conduct a feasibility study to go to FBS, and have, like LU received a very high rating for FBS status. For small FCS schools, ones that never reach, but may seldom sniff the top 25, it's much less a big deal. Their athletic budgets are minuscule to LU's or JMU's or Coastal's. It has wreaked havoc with the JMU fan base. Just visit the JMU board. 99% of the posters are seething with this action, justifiably so, as they feel betrayed and intentionally mislead. And what sort of signal does this send to the MAC or CUSA, conferences that JMU has openly coveted for an FBS invite. It also adds to the SBC saying no thanks with another JMU invite.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 10:45 PM by NewTimes.)
09-22-2015 10:43 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

09-22-2015 10:50 PM
Advertisement

LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU & Syracuse
(09-22-2015 10:43 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 10:32 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  The upside for FCS schools to offer FCOA is pretty small. The few that offer it will have a easier time being and staying a powerhouse. The majority that don't will stay as they are and they are perfectly fine with that. It's not like FB is making them money anyways, sports is a huge money pit.
The point with JMU though is that they have commissioned the Carr group, like LU, to conduct a feasibility study to go to FBS, and have, like LU received a very high rating for FBS status. For small FCS schools, ones that never reach, but may seldom sniff the top 25, it's much less a big deal. Their athletic budgets are minuscule to LU's or JMU's or Coastal's. It has wreaked havoc with the JMU fan base. Just visit the JMU board. 99% of the posters are seething with this action, justifiably so, as they feel betrayed and intentionally mislead. And what sort of signal does this send to the MAC or CUSA, conferences that JMU has openly coveted for an FBS invite. It also adds to the SBC saying no thanks with another JMU invite.
I have never thought that JMU has made any mistake or blunder when it comes to the Sun Belt or FCOA in regards to the CAA. JMU obviously has the means, ability, and desire to go 1-A, they just have different approach from us.

Stating the obvious, with them being in the CAA they have the ability yo be picky and patient. Something we don't being in the Big South- which is unstable football wise. Other than officially being in 1-A, the Sun Belt really doesn't improve JMU's overall situation and increases travel costs. IMO, the CAA's olympic sports (especially basketball) are much better than the SBC. Quite frankly, ither than football the SBC'S olympic sports aren"t much better than the Big South's.

But as far as JMU and the CAA and FCOA, I think they're just being a team player right now. When the right time comes for JMU to move up they'll pay it. Also, these message boards only represent a small fraction of the fans and supporters. It's just us geeks with nothing better to do with our free time commenting on them.
09-23-2015 06:35 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(09-23-2015 06:35 AM)LUOrange Wrote:  
(09-22-2015 10:43 PM)NewTimes Wrote:  
I have never thought that JMU has made any mistake or blunder when it comes to the Sun Belt or FCOA in regards to the CAA. JMU obviously has the means, ability, and desire to go 1-A, they just have different approach from us.

Stating the obvious, with them being in the CAA they have the ability yo be picky and patient. Something we don't being in the Big South- which is unstable football wise. Other than officially being in 1-A, the Sun Belt really doesn't improve JMU's overall situation and increases travel costs. IMO, the CAA's olympic sports (especially basketball) are much better than the SBC. Quite frankly, ither than football the SBC'S olympic sports aren"t much better than the Big South's.

But as far as JMU and the CAA and FCOA, I think they're just being a team player right now. When the right time comes for JMU to move up they'll pay it. Also, these message boards only represent a small fraction of the fans and supporters. It's just us geeks with nothing better to do with our free time commenting on them.
From your post I can agree that we who post on sports bbs's are sports geeks and nerds. That's where our meeting of the minds ends. It's true that sports bbs's, by sheer numbers, represent a fraction of the spectators of college sports. But it is a slice of what the sports enthusiasts pulse is on given topics. The JMU forum is one of the biggest, if not the biggest on CSNbbs. So, if a large groups of people, agree on the same point, then it's a safe bet that is a fair representation that a high percentage of the sports mass feel a similar way.

By your comment, it sounds like you may have drawn your conclusions by my post and not from reading the JMU thread, which yesterday was 10 pages and today has 11 pages and 6,500+ views in 2 days. There are also similar posts on the same topic with their own legs of interest. The reason this is an important post is that many JMU fans feel like they are being baited and switched, are being manipulated by having their online comments deleted by JMU officials, and have been told falsehoods and untruths. Imagine how LU fans would feel if we felt the admins were being told falsehoods, deceptions or if we had inept and poor leadership. It's that way at present at JMU, only much worse.

JMU would jump, in a heartbeat, towards any FBS invite if the admins were competent. The unfortunate part is the admins and prez don't realize the missteps and mistakes they have made. They idealists living in the collegiate protective bubble unable to grasp the sentiment, especially of the sports supporters, and gauge their level of passion and interest. They ae out of touch.

LU on the other hand has outstanding admin and prez leadership, in regards to their desire to achieve FBS. Threads here speak highly of Jr. and Barber. Read the JMU threads. It's polar opposite.

I'm interested in seeking FBS. If we need a make shift FCS conference change, then so be it. Any energy towards any other goal than FBS sidetracks LU from the higher objective. JMU and it's CAA position is stronger than LU and the BSC. Part of the dilemma of JMU is that the fans feel the admins are happy to be FCS forever when most share our FBS quest.
09-23-2015 05:58 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I don't want to see JMU succeed because that severely undercuts Liberty's chances of success but their fans and alumni are too passionate to deserve less than FBS. I think being in a situation where they have the chance to move up and be successful but the leadership is against it for reasons unknown is a tough pill to swallow and I'd hate if Liberty found itself in a similar situation. I may consider Liberty in that situation if they sit on their hands for too long waiting for invites that won't come instead of asking the NCAA for a waiver of some sort to move up as an independent.
09-23-2015 06:58 PM
Advertisement

LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

The geeks and nerds comment was tongue in cheek.

I occasionally go look at the JMU board, but mostly just read this one, FlamesFans, and the Sun Belt board- just for amusement. That said, I'm not buying that the various message boards are truly representatives of the majority of the fans. Just like I will never buy most of the SBC posters nonsense about "cultural fit, academics, and on field success."

That said, I think both JMU and LU have good administrators who know what their doing. We have the same desires, just different priorities and time tables. JMU doesn't want the Sun Belt because they feel it's beneath them, and for the most part it is. The question to ponder is, if Liberty were in the CAA prior to our announcement and pre-realignment, would we be in as much of a hurry to go 1-A? I think not. I believe we'd shop around patiently just like JMU.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 10:30 PM by LUOrange.)
09-23-2015 08:46 PM
Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
This helps Liberty's case for Sun Belt membership a little, simply by getting JMU out of the way. They are officially not a factor anymore. Meanwhile Liberty has gone all-in on COA and is down to only ~3 "no votes" among Sun Belt membership. With Coastal joining, that 75% ratio is easier to obtain. A little more lobbying and I could see it happening.
09-23-2015 09:22 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I just don't share your comfort with the CAA or the BSC. JMU keeps falling over themselves with poor leadership. LU is a lightning rod that will take to get the right fit, either by invite or other means. Like GEandMTS said earlier, a prolonged FCS membership, in any FCS conference, is a sure fire way to degrade the program and begin a downward spiral. Sure it would be fun on a continual basis to go the FCS playoffs and even win a FCS championship. I would rather be competing with ODU, App St, GaSo, GaSt, Charlotte, and Coastal than, Presy, Elon, VMI and ETSU.
09-23-2015 09:25 PM
Advertisement

LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

Trust me, I want 1-A bad too. Big South Football is on the brink without the Beach Chickens, and I wouldn't turn down the SBC either. It makes a lot of sense for Liberty. I'm just not critical of JMU's approach and rationale because there is a lot of validity to it.
09-23-2015 10:34 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

So, with JMU's misstep with COA, how long before that WBB recruit or FB or Men's Basketball player is swayed by the financial support? One really good player can make the difference.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015 08:14 AM by NewTimes.)
09-25-2015 07:58 AM
voss749 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FAU
I wouldn't count conference usa out. They will want a travel partner for ODU eventually and with JMU saying they wont cover FCOA theyve become radioactive to CUSA who has enough issues helping UAB back into business. Between Charlotte and ODU, Liberty makes a nice triangle.

This becomes doubly so if American conference takes Marshall or Rice.
09-27-2015 12:31 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(09-27-2015 12:31 PM)voss749 Wrote:  I wouldn't count conference usa out. They will want a travel partner for ODU eventually and with JMU saying they wont cover FCOA theyve become radioactive to CUSA who has enough issues helping UAB back into business. Between Charlotte and ODU, Liberty makes a nice triangle.

This becomes doubly so if American conference takes Marshall or Rice.
That would be a great fit and I believe most ODU fans would support that.
09-27-2015 04:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.