Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monmouth/Homecoming
Bookmark and Share
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Monmouth/Homecoming
Today's game features Monmouth coming to town for Liberty's homecoming. There should be a lot more excitement with the program coming off wins against a historically top FCS school and an FBS school but with complete no-shows against SUI and Gardner-Webb then Liberty is staring at a 3-3 record.

What's the thoughts, predictions, and analysis for today's game?
10-17-2015 06:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

justjim Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty & Pitt
RE: Monmouth/Homecoming
This is not correct. Liberty is traveling to Monmouth for an away conference game.

Homecoming is next week in Lynchburg against Kennesaw State...another new Big South football member.
10-17-2015 08:19 AM
GE and MTS Offline

My bad. And it looks like Liberty is bad too. They are down 7 to 0 at the half.
10-17-2015 01:23 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
It's halftime and Monmouth leads 7-0. Can this get any worse? Another blocked Lunsford field goal, fumble, lackadaisical play, non spirited energy, predictable play calling. Monmouth is playing harder to win than the Flames. At present, LU is a reeling team playing with lack of confidence. Seems like the players have been reading about how good they are without applying the skill set to warrant the comment. Let's hope that somehow, somebody gets the insight and plays inspired the second half. If not, this will be Gill's worst year. And Lunsford, it's time to lead and step up.
10-17-2015 01:29 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

Well I'm about ready to move on from Gill. Georgia State was pretty impressed by him. Maybe we can trick them to hire him away.

90% +/- of the roster is his recruits. Gardner-Webb lost to Kennesaw State today... We just aren't good despite all the upperclassmen and Gill having his recruits for the first time in his tenure here.

Where do we go from here? This is basically a lost season. We SHOULD have been better than last year's squad. We didn't lose much from last year's team. Our seniors were supposed to be our stars. Next year when we replace all this "star" power we may be in more trouble. Luckily Coastal Carolina won't be in the conference but that doesn't matter much right now as we already lost our first two games against conference foes and neither were Coastal.

When does basketball start?
10-17-2015 03:37 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(10-17-2015 03:37 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  Well I'm about ready to move on from Gill. Georgia State was pretty impressed by him. Maybe we can trick them to hire him away.

90% +/- of the roster is his recruits. Gardner-Webb lost to Kennesaw State today... We just aren't good despite all the upperclassmen and Gill having his recruits for the first time in his tenure here.

Where do we go from here? This is basically a lost season. We SHOULD have been better than last year's squad. We didn't lose much from last year's team. Our seniors were supposed to be our stars. Next year when we replace all this "star" power we may be in more trouble. Luckily Coastal Carolina won't be in the conference but that doesn't matter much right now as we already lost our first two games against conference foes and neither were Coastal.

When does basketball start?
If there ever was a time to doubt Gill it's now. What's the idea of going on 4th down in overtime with 2+ yards to go and not kick a field goal? If Lundsford is not injured, then that was a coaching decision fiasco. And I have defended Woodrum in the past. His uninspiring play today did not match his hype and recognition as one of the BSC best. His play today, and last week, and during the So Illinois game he was not one of the best but one of poorer. We can stop all the FBS hype and talk now as it's not realistic now credible to do so.

True expectations were the highest they had ever been at LU this year. Winning an FCS championship was in the dialogue by Woodrum and others. Making the playoffs and advancing beyond the 2nd round was a second goal. Both now are non achievable.

Today was bad coaching, uninspired play, bad QB play, bad play calling and a gut wrenching loss. The defense did play well and they deserve recognition. The offense was poor, very poor. In reading the Twitter feeds during the game, Chris Lang and DS of the N&A were scratching their heads on the play calling of LU. It's tough to see many positives from this game. This game is one we can hope will stimulate changes that will improve the team. There is little else to see as a positive.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2015 05:14 PM by NewTimes.)
10-17-2015 05:10 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
I'm a Gill supporter. A bad season doesn't mean he's done for its just the way things worked out. If this continues for a couple more years then yeah we have a real issue.
10-17-2015 05:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Monmouth/Homecoming
I am speechless... just speechless. This loss is Coach Gill's fault. One of the worst coaching decisions I have ever seen. There is no way we should lose to Monmouth. I hope the team has not given up on the season. I am just utterly speechless about that overtime!
10-17-2015 07:02 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Guys, JMU nation feels your pain. Back in 2004 JMU won a national championship, 2005 with little change in players or coaches, we were 7 - 4 and not a sniff of the playoffs. Football can be a strange game.
10-17-2015 07:57 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
Going for it on 4TH and 2 in OT is one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen. There's blame to go around everywhere. There's something very wrong in the locker room as the chemistry with the team is way off. I think the jury is still out with Gill. Without the blocked fg last year we don't make the playoffs. This year there will be no playoffs. I've been a Liberty fan for more than 20 years and I can't remember a more disappointing team.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-17-2015 08:56 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I think Gill was on the hot seat last year and he bought himself some time. He earned it. This year the team has extremely underachieved and I think next season Gill will have to make the playoffs to keep his job. Just my opinion but our ceiling is so much higher than how we have performed under Gill. We'll see what happens. I hope Gill turns things around. We need to improve to convince a conference to invite us.
10-17-2015 09:07 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(10-17-2015 08:56 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  Going for it on 4TH and 2 in OT is one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen. There's blame to go around everywhere. There's something very wrong in the locker room as the chemistry with the team is way off. I think the jury is still out with Gill. Without the blocked fg last year we don't make the playoffs. This year there will be no playoffs. I've been a Liberty fan for more than 20 years and I can't remember a more disappointing team.

I agree completely. As one who has followed LU football since it's inception, this loss hurts the most as the expectations were the highest this year, and the program has fallen to low depths. There's enough blame to be equally shared by everyone. Only the defense is to acknowledged for playing hard and having a good game.
10-17-2015 09:52 PM
justjim Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty & Pitt
(10-17-2015 08:56 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  Going for it on 4TH and 2 in OT is one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen. There's blame to go around everywhere. There's something very wrong in the locker room as the chemistry with the team is way off. I think the jury is still out with Gill. Without the blocked fg last year we don't make the playoffs. This year there will be no playoffs. I've been a Liberty fan for more than 20 years and I can't remember a more disappointing team.

I agree the call to go for it was horrible.

However, people keep talking about the blocked FG saving the season last year...the year before that, if it weren't for a blocked FG, we'd be talking about two conference championships and playoff appearances in a row.
10-18-2015 01:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.