Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

With LU's down spin, what has to happen?
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
Back to back loses at GW and Monmouth are hard to stomach. Combined with the S. Illy loss, and this is a mediocre season at best if the team can win out, which is a tall order with the current play. I'm glad JMU rescheduled to play SMU and not LU. We would have been eating a lot of crow as they are humming along with wins and we're spiraling downward with loses that should be wins.

What's got to happen to fix the short term problem and get back to winning success?
10-17-2015 09:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
RE: With LU's down spin, what has to happen?
It's football **** happens. We can still having a winning season with this loss. We just won't have the juice to make the playoffs. Since this is year one of a crappy season this isn't a trend. When it becomes a trend I'll worry.
10-17-2015 10:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
True, we can still finish strong. I suppose we can go on a run. We have played a brutal schedule mostly on the road. Maybe we'll find a way to win out. 7-4 is still a successful season even if it's not a playoff season and would be considered a "lost" season by our standards. But, by brutal I don't mean GW and MU.
10-18-2015 08:08 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
Finishing strong gets us what exactly? Probably not even a share of the Big South title. It's clear we played entitled this year. Now I'm not suggesting we go out there and lose the rest of our games but our season is effectively over. No playoffs. No conference championship. Big fat stinker of a season. If we win every game remaining and finish 7-4 then we'll just be kicking ourselves for what could have been. The season's over. At least we have basketball to be excited about...
10-18-2015 03:58 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(10-18-2015 03:58 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  Finishing strong gets us what exactly? Probably not even a share of the Big South title. It's clear we played entitled this year. Now I'm not suggesting we go out there and lose the rest of our games but our season is effectively over. No playoffs. No conference championship. Big fat stinker of a season. If we win every game remaining and finish 7-4 then we'll just be kicking ourselves for what could have been. The season's over. At least we have basketball to be excited about...
From a fans perspective I can see your point. From a players and coaching position no. True no post season will happen this year. But still playing hard is a necessity. 7-4 will be an okay season. If players don't give it their all in the remaining games, that will tell us more about the integrity of the personnel for those returning next year.
10-18-2015 05:31 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

(10-18-2015 03:58 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  Finishing strong gets us what exactly? Probably not even a share of the Big South title. It's clear we played entitled this year. Now I'm not suggesting we go out there and lose the rest of our games but our season is effectively over. No playoffs. No conference championship. Big fat stinker of a season. If we win every game remaining and finish 7-4 then we'll just be kicking ourselves for what could have been. The season's over. At least we have basketball to be excited about...

Finishing strong gets us attention from new recruits. New recruits bring new talent and that brings future wins. Just because we think we should win every game doesn't mean we will.
10-19-2015 06:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
Curtis, I agree we have to try and win out. Here's the way I look at it. Like you said, we're not going to win every game. I would have been fine splitting our out of conference schedule, but I do not expect to lose to teams with inferior talent. Monmouth has 10 less scholarship players than we do, Gardner Webb is one of the worst offensive teams in fcs. I'll never be OK losing to those types of teams. If the season goes the way we think it's going to go and we drop several more games it'll be interesting to see if Gill is given a vote of confidence by Barber.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-19-2015 07:50 AM
Advertisement

Highlander84 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Liberty
I think the problem is the senior players leadership
10-19-2015 08:55 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
We need to go 7-4. The season is not over. Much is at stake.
10-19-2015 09:51 AM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

(10-19-2015 07:50 AM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  Curtis, I agree we have to try and win out. Here's the way I look at it. Like you said, we're not going to win every game. I would have been fine splitting our out of conference schedule, but I do not expect to lose to teams with inferior talent. Monmouth has 10 less scholarship players than we do, Gardner Webb is one of the worst offensive teams in fcs. I'll never be OK losing to those types of teams. If the season goes the way we think it's going to go and we drop several more games it'll be interesting to see if Gill is given a vote of confidence by Barber.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

And GA State has like 20 more scholarships than we do and we beat them. Teams get outplayed all the time by lesser teams.
10-19-2015 10:11 AM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(10-19-2015 06:57 AM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  

Finishing strong gets us attention from new recruits. New recruits bring new talent and that brings future wins. Just because we think we should win every game doesn't mean we will.

We need to finish strong to keep the recruits we already have. The new recruits are going to be the ones who thought we were too good but now see us on a lower level. Look at our resources and tell me that we shouldn't win the conference and make the playoffs yearly. And don't count those stupid co-championships where we miss the playoffs because of tie-breakers. 04-cheers
10-19-2015 11:35 AM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

(10-19-2015 11:35 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(10-19-2015 06:57 AM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  

We need to finish strong to keep the recruits we already have. The new recruits are going to be the ones who thought we were too good but now see us on a lower level. Look at our resources and tell me that we shouldn't win the conference and make the playoffs yearly. And don't count those stupid co-championships where we miss the playoffs because of tie-breakers. 04-cheers

I think some of the issue is because we have baller level resources. It might make the players feel entitled. Just because some FCS schools play in a crappy stadium or have crappy training areas doesn't mean they suck. The same goes for us. Just because we have amazing things doesn't mean we are owed a win.
10-19-2015 11:53 AM
LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU & Syracuse
I'm certainly disappointed in our team, especially losing 2 games that we should have won easily and when you consider our expectations this year. But that's life, football, and it is what it is.

Despite bad calls, bad plays, and under-performing players it's still very tough to be successful when you're on the road for 4 straight weeks. It's also very tough to have to go undefeated every year in your conference against teams that are familiar with you, no matter the difference in talent, prestige, etc. To have a limited margin of error year in and out is tough, which is another reason to be 1-A over 1-AA. It's much better to be playing in the Little Debbie Bowl at 6-6 than to be at home, missing the playoffs at 9-2.

Besides, we've got plenty to play for- the fun of the game, the pride of the school, and the necessity of going 2.5-0 vs. the Sun Belt on ESPN News!
10-19-2015 11:59 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(10-19-2015 11:59 AM)LUOrange Wrote:  I'm certainly disappointed in our team, especially losing 2 games that we should have won easily and when you consider our expectations this year. But that's life, football, and it is what it is.

Despite bad calls, bad plays, and under-performing players it's still very tough to be successful when you're on the road for 4 straight weeks. It's also very tough to have to go undefeated every year in your conference against teams that are familiar with you, no matter the difference in talent, prestige, etc. To have a limited margin of error year in and out is tough, which is another reason to be 1-A over 1-AA. It's much better to be playing in the Little Debbie Bowl at 6-6 than to be at home, missing the playoffs at 9-2.

Besides, we've got plenty to play for- the fun of the game, the pride of the school, and the necessity of going 2.5-0 vs. the Sun Belt on ESPN News!
If FCS nearby teams like JMU, Coastal, and Richmond on a consistent basic, then LU should be able to at play close to, if not equal their success. At this point, we are not close. Let's hope a much needed win this week changes things around and get's everyone attentiion.
10-19-2015 05:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.