Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Over rated or Underachieving
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
Over rated or Underachieving
The highest expectations were expressed by players this year saying a return to the playoffs was almost assured and that Liberty was a team to play for the FCS championship (Woodrum). As can happen, expectations and reality can be different in sports. LU has gotten a reality check this year of what it takes to being a consistent top 25 team, to then excel to a top 10 team and to then earn playing for a championship.

Is the 2016 Liberty FB program over rated or under achievers?

EDIT: That's Liberty Football as I failed to mention originally.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 08:38 PM by NewTimes.)
11-08-2015 06:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: Over rated or Underachieving
I think you mean 2015 Liberty football but no worries.

I would say that we were underachievers. We may have overachieved last season, but nearly all of our stars came back for this year. We were poised to be even better, and we showed flashes of greatness by beating Georgia State and Montana. But in between those wins were losses to poor football programs and our season swirled down the drain to the point that we're just playing for pride now.

So that leaves us with the question of were the players unfocused? Did they "eat the cheese" and believe the hype? Or did the coaching staff not push them hard enough and/or get complacent? There is likely blame to go around and it is deserved. Liberty has resources and advantages far beyond schools like Charleston Southern who spins gold from straw.
11-08-2015 07:46 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(11-08-2015 07:46 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I think you mean 2015 Liberty football but no worries.

I would say that we were underachievers. We may have overachieved last season, but nearly all of our stars came back for this year. We were poised to be even better, and we showed flashes of greatness by beating Georgia State and Montana. But in between those wins were losses to poor football programs and our season swirled down the drain to the point that we're just playing for pride now.

So that leaves us with the question of were the players unfocused? Did they "eat the cheese" and believe the hype? Or did the coaching staff not push them hard enough and/or get complacent? There is likely blame to go around and it is deserved. Liberty has resources and advantages far beyond schools like Charleston Southern who spins gold from straw.
I believe we were underachievers also. Maybe the 2014 success created some self centered importance that did not translate to working for some as hard in 2015. Or stated another way, the coaching did not push enough, or keep the players focused enough. I'm leaning towards the coaching was not up to the task since we returned many of the prominent players.

The first 3+ quarters of the Presby game was a LU struggle, against a 1 win team. As Coastal beat GW 44-0 and GW beat LU, something is really amiss with the LU program and it's consistency. If you've got the players, or most of a playoff team returning, seems to me the problem may be more of keeping 20 something, high energy young men focused rather than a talent gap.
11-08-2015 08:46 PM
Advertisement

LUOrange Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LU & Syracuse
We've definitely underachieved. However, the biggest difference to me has been the O line and not necessarily the skill players. I could be wrong, but I thought we lost a lot on the line from last year, but you could definitely tell the difference in the game. Our RB's have done as well, Woodrum has been rushed more in my opinion, and we've had more blocked FG's and punts. All signs of an undersized and/or inexperienced OL. I chalk most of it up to growing pains on our OL.

You also cannot discount 4 straight road games and conference mates that get to know you. I've said it on another thread, but Liberty has the difficult task of having to go almost perfect every year in order to make the playoffs because we're in the Big South. We put even more stress on ourselves and our players, because we're simultaneously playing for the Big South/1-AA Playoffs AND auditioning for a 1-A conference.

That's tough on the team, and considering, I think they've done well. If we can win out and finish 7-4, we'll have a great argument to make the playoffs and give the Big South 3 bids. Our resume will include 3 wins vs Top 10 1-AA schools and an 1-A win. Pretty impressive and a good year, even if we're done on 11/19.
11-08-2015 09:56 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
underachieved thus far through the season. There is no reason we should have lost those BSC games. I chalk that up to believing your own headlines and not playing with intensity and desire. Now the next two games... those are toss ups, but with what we've done so far this season... who knows.
11-09-2015 11:04 AM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Do you expect to win the next two games? I am not sure.
11-12-2015 11:00 AM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
I think we lose to ccu and beat coastal. Just my gut feeling. They'll be no pressure at that point if we lose this weekend.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
11-12-2015 01:53 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

I'm guessing that LU plays tough this week but loses to Chuck South Saturday. And agree with LG1 that we beat Coastal at home in the finale.
11-12-2015 06:22 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
Tough to be a Liberty fan. Ultimately, the responsibility falls on the coaching staff. This team completely underachived this year. Not sure what the issue is, but we pay Gill way to much money for these results.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
11-14-2015 05:52 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

I missed it today with my prediction that LU would play hard and win today by 3 clinging to the last hope of a post season invite. No chance after today's loss.

Agree that it's time to expand beyond questioning the QB play and include coaching and offensive schemes and plays. It seems the LU offense is predictable and that other teams know the LU tendencies. Being unable to establish a consistent running game links together the OL, the running backs, the backfield lead blocking, play calling and more as a multi faceted weak link. Then Woodrum has to pass on 3rd down when it's 3rd and 3 or greater which has happened a lot. Today the FLames averaged less than 2.5 yards per carry. Granted CSU has a very good defense but how about Monmouth, GW and now CSU?

Yep, it's tough to be Flames fan now with a likely outcome that we'll be 5-6 after Thursday. Ponder that for a few minutes when one considers where we were only one year ago. This year has been one step forward and two back back.
11-14-2015 06:57 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

And after today's loss to CSU, the 2015 Liberty Flames team is/was over rated.
11-14-2015 07:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.