Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MLB Offseason Thread
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
MLB Offseason Thread
Sure, why not kick things off in the OT forum?

* Yankees picking up Starlin Castro for very little was interesting. Kid has nearly 1,000 hits at the age of 25. At that age, Derek Jeter had 807 hits. If he gets his head on straight and starts boosting his OBP with quality AB's....watch out.

* Braves picking up 2015 # 1 overall pick Dansby Swanson for what I perceive to be a slightly overrated Shelby Miller was the heist of the offseason IMO. There are very few good SS's around the league (Carlos Correa, after just part of a full season, is already a top 5 guy), so landing one for the future is worth shipping out a # 2 starter. The Dbacks will be dangerous with Greinke and Miller, but going "all in" like this rarely works out.

* Cubs get Zobrist. He's 34 but is such a tough out. He may be a defensive liability at times but I like what he brings to the table for him. Still, at the price-tage we got them for, I like that the Mets went out and traded for 2B Neil Walker for LHP Jonathan Niese then signed Asdrubal Cabrera.

Where does Justin Upton end up? Jayson Heyward?
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2015 11:51 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
12-11-2015 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: MLB Offseason Thread
Well,,,, you just got your answer on Heyward. I don't ever remember a NLCS/ALCS participant improving as much as the Cubbies have
12-11-2015 02:25 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
MLB Offseason Thread
Yep. I had heard our Cubs were targeting Heyward. Great upgrade at that position for them.
12-11-2015 04:17 PM
Hall of Famer

MLB Offseason Thread
I read last night that Heyward has 54 defensive runs saved over the last 2 years, most in the MLB in that span. Couple that with his plate discipline and speed and he's a helluva player.

Nice job by the Cubs this offseason.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 10:17 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
12-12-2015 10:17 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
MLB Offseason Thread
(12-12-2015 10:17 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I read last night that Heyward has 54 defensive runs saved over the last 2 years, most in the MLB in that span. Couple that with his plate discipline and speed and he's a helluva player.

I'm freaking excited for spring to hurry up and get here. I just hope we don't pull a Dodgers, and with all the expectations... Continually choke.
12-13-2015 12:34 PM
Hall of Famer

MLB Offseason Thread
(12-13-2015 12:34 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 10:17 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I read last night that Heyward has 54 defensive runs saved over the last 2 years, most in the MLB in that span. Couple that with his plate discipline and speed and he's a helluva player.

I'm freaking excited for spring to hurry up and get here. I just hope we don't pull a Dodgers, and with all the expectations... Continually choke.

Don't think that'll happen. This isn't typical checkbook baseball like the Yankees and Dodgers do. The Cubs have lots of talent still to come from the farm system, allowing you guys to make smart moves.

Greatly looking forward to the Cubs-Mets games this year. Those will be must-watch games no matter what time of year they're occurring.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2015 02:45 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
12-13-2015 02:44 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

MLB Offseason Thread
Double post.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2015 02:46 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
12-13-2015 02:45 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

According to FanGraphs, Heyward has only had one season where is value didn't exceed 23M. He was worth "only" $14.5M in 128 in his second season. I am a bit surprised we landed Heyward, but he and Zobrist add tremendous value to Chicago in terms of contact and k-rate. Chicago finished dead last in MLB last year.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I really like what Chicago has done this off season. They're making an aggressive moves to win in the next 2-3 seasons, but they haven't jeopardized the future.

Regarding the Mets, I missed the Neil Walker pick up. I like that move a lot for NY.

I couldn't agree with SN08 more regarding the Atlanta/Arizona trade. That is an impressive haul for Atlanta. Most people think they're a year away from competing, but this move will pay off soon. Reminds me of Chicago stealing Addison Russell and Billy McKinney from the A's last year.

As for Castro in NY, I'm pulling for the guy. As a Chicago fan, I compare him to Cutler. He'll have stretches where you're in awe of his natural ability, but he's too inconsistent to count on in the clutch.
12-13-2015 09:08 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2015 02:44 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  [quote='CoastGuardHawk06' pid='12785049' dateline='1450028047']
[quote='Seahawk Nation 08' pid='12781714' dateline='1449933427']

This isn't typical checkbook baseball like the Yankees and Dodgers do. T
Clearly you haven't been paying attention. Those days are over for the Yanks or so it appears. They seem content in letting the big contracts fall off and not adding much else.
12-14-2015 09:42 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

[/quote]
I couldn't agree with SN08 more regarding the Atlanta/Arizona trade.
[/quote]

So, i agree nice haul. That said, the D'backs are pretty damn impressive. They had a nice lineup already with some nice young pitcher. Now you throw in one of the best at the top, someone who can mentor the young guys, + a nice #2,3 in miller that's pretty damn good. Thus far they look like the team to beat in the west.
12-14-2015 09:45 AM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

(12-14-2015 09:42 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(12-13-2015 02:44 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  [quote='CoastGuardHawk06' pid='12785049' dateline='1450028047']
[quote='Seahawk Nation 08' pid='12781714' dateline='1449933427']

This isn't typical checkbook baseball like the Yankees and Dodgers do. T
Clearly you haven't been paying attention. Those days are over for the Yanks or so it appears. They seem content in letting the big contracts fall off and not adding much else.

Not to ruin our run of cohesiveness, but those days are not quite over for the Yanks. I agree that seems to be the approach Cashman prefers, but they still have 168.5M tied up with Sabathia, Teixeira, Tanaka, Ellsbury, ARod, McCann, Beltran Gardner and Headley next year. Not all of those guys are overpaid, but most of them are.

To your point, I think the only bad contracts in '17 are Ellsbury and ARod.
12-14-2015 09:52 AM
Advertisement

bricksnivy Offline
All American

[/quote]

So, i agree nice haul. That said, the D'backs are pretty damn impressive. They had a nice lineup already with some nice young pitcher. Now you throw in one of the best at the top, someone who can mentor the young guys, + a nice #2,3 in miller that's pretty damn good. Thus far they look like the team to beat in the west.
[/quote]

No doubt, Arizona had one of the best NL offenses last year and they added Greinke and Miller to mentor a young pitching staff. Agree that they're the team to beat in the West next year, it's just hard to give up 3 of your last 4 number one picks (including last year's #1 overall pick).
12-14-2015 09:57 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2015 09:57 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(12-14-2015 09:45 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

[/quote]

No doubt, Arizona had one of the best NL offenses last year and they added Greinke and Miller to mentor a young pitching staff. Agree that they're the team to beat in the West next year, it's just hard to give up 3 of your last 4 number one picks (including last year's #1 overall pick).
[/quote]
Yeah that is kind of Crazy. Guess they have the win now mentality, kind of like Toronto at the deadline.
12-14-2015 10:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Teams need to have balance with their philosophies. It's ok to recognize you have a nice window to win a title and go all in. But you'd better have some people coming through your system with high ceiling skillsets. Because if this experiment fails and the Diamondbacks don't win a title here in the Paul Goldschmidt years, they'll end up firing their GM and starting from scratch with, perhaps, very little talent coming through. People always would rather have the "known" product over the unknown, but when you choose the "known" too often, it ultimately depletes your assets.

Building through the farm is where you START, because that's where you find the "backup assets" in case your Plan A doesn't work out. The Cubs seem to have a Plan A, B, and C right now for the next 5+ years. To a slightly lesser extent I feel my Mets are in the same boat. Everyone knows about our young pitching now, but we also have OF Brandon Nimmo, 2B Dilson Herrera, and some nice SS prospects to look forward to. And we have some assets to move for when we eventually will need to bolster the corner infield spots (Wright is nearly done and 1B Lucas Duda is maddeningly inconsistent).
12-14-2015 12:16 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2015 12:16 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Teams need to have balance with their philosophies. It's ok to recognize you have a nice window to win a title and go all in. But you'd better have some people coming through your system with high ceiling skillsets. Because if this experiment fails and the Diamondbacks don't win a title here in the Paul Goldschmidt years, they'll end up firing their GM and starting from scratch with, perhaps, very little talent coming through. People always would rather have the "known" product over the unknown, but when you choose the "known" too often, it ultimately depletes your assets.

Building through the farm is where you START, because that's where you find the "backup assets" in case your Plan A doesn't work out. The Cubs seem to have a Plan A, B, and C right now for the next 5+ years. To a slightly lesser extent I feel my Mets are in the same boat. Everyone knows about our young pitching now, but we also have OF Brandon Nimmo, 2B Dilson Herrera, and some nice SS prospects to look forward to. And we have some assets to move for when we eventually will need to bolster the corner infield spots (Wright is nearly done and 1B Lucas Duda is maddeningly inconsistent).
The chances of all those prospects being above average MLB players is nil. Mets need to spend some cash to fill holes and build around the awesome, young , inexpensive rotation.
12-14-2015 12:56 PM
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2015 12:56 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  The chances of all those prospects being above average MLB players is nil. Mets need to spend some cash to fill holes and build around the awesome, young , inexpensive rotation.

Anywhere we spend money blocks those young players from getting a chance, and also costs us valuable draft picks. Michael Cuddyer, for instance, was a total bust and cost us a 1st round pick to boot. Spending is great at times but you have to spend smart.

We don't need all of them to work out. We currently have 3-4 SS prospects that are fairly highly touted. All we need is one that works out.

Meanwhile, Nimmo was a prospect on a similar level as Michael Conforto, who had some solid moments in the postseason for us. But if we had signed Cespedes to big money, he would have had nowhere to play. Instead, guys like Denard Span or Gerardo Parra are on the Mets radar right now.
12-14-2015 02:06 PM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2015 02:06 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(12-14-2015 12:56 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  The chances of all those prospects being above average MLB players is nil. Mets need to spend some cash to fill holes and build around the awesome, young , inexpensive rotation.

Anywhere we spend money blocks those young players from getting a chance, and also costs us valuable draft picks. Michael Cuddyer, for instance, was a total bust and cost us a 1st round pick to boot. Spending is great at times but you have to spend smart.

We don't need all of them to work out. We currently have 3-4 SS prospects that are fairly highly touted. All we need is one that works out.

Meanwhile, Nimmo was a prospect on a similar level as Michael Conforto, who had some solid moments in the postseason for us. But if we had signed Cespedes to big money, he would have had nowhere to play. Instead, guys like Denard Span or Gerardo Parra are on the Mets radar right now.
You obviously want to spend smart. IMO most prospects are best suited to be in some kind of time share right away to see if they really do have it. I didn't mean spend crazy, i meant spend smart.
12-14-2015 02:40 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

If Giants finish Cueto deal, rotation would be Bumgarner, Cueto, Peavy, Samardzija and Cain/Heston. That isn't as good NYM or Cubs, but that is really strong.
12-14-2015 04:15 PM
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2015 04:15 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  If Giants finish Cueto deal, rotation would be Bumgarner, Cueto, Peavy, Samardzija and Cain/Heston. That isn't as good NYM or Cubs, but that is really strong.

When is the last time the NL has had this much overall talent? Back when Aaron and Mays were playing?
12-14-2015 04:23 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2015 04:15 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  If Giants finish Cueto deal, rotation would be Bumgarner, Cueto, Peavy, Samardzija and Cain/Heston. That isn't as good NYM or Cubs, but that is really strong.
That depends on if NL or AL Cueto shows up. If it's NL Cueto that rotation is question than the Cubbies IMO.
12-14-2015 04:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.