Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC expansion
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
AAC expansion
Should the AAC see expand? And it so, who should they look at? IMO, I think the AAC should and ya'll should target Colorado state and New Mexico.
12-12-2015 03:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Farmer Jack Offline
Banned

I Root For: Univ of Houston
RE: AAC expansion
no
12-12-2015 03:53 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
Give me 1 benefit that adding a school from the state of New Mexico, whose population is smaller than a number of the cities that make up this conference, would bring.

No to expansion. No.
12-12-2015 04:08 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(12-12-2015 03:53 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Should the AAC see expand? And it so, who should they look at? IMO, I think the AAC should and ya'll should target Colorado state and New Mexico.

if they were in c-usa that would be a decent plan...

but they arent, if we can get MWC teams for whatever reason there are a few teams in-front of those 2
12-12-2015 04:10 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

(12-12-2015 04:08 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  Give me 1 benefit that adding a school from the state of New Mexico, whose population is smaller than a number of the cities that make up this conference, would bring.

No to expansion. No.

I'll try. Flagship University of the state, Solid media markets, Good basketball program, and a minor bowl game. A couple other reasons would be to hurt the MWC, and to protect the conference in case of a program leaving.
12-12-2015 04:18 PM
PiratePanther189 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU, AAC
(12-12-2015 04:18 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 04:08 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  Give me 1 benefit that adding a school from the state of New Mexico, whose population is smaller than a number of the cities that make up this conference, would bring.

No to expansion. No.

I'll try. Flagship University of the state, Solid media markets, Good basketball program, and a minor bowl game. A couple other reasons would be to hurt the MWC, and to protect the conference in case of a program leaving.

Yeah, apologies. I did a bit of research. You're not off base I am. In terms of realistically being able to poach MWC teams, I'm not sure of the feasibility. I personally don't know how smart it is for us to expand before teams leave, either. Maybe proactive as opposed to reactive wouldn't be a terrible idea. I think we've got a better chance of going after C-USA teams, though.
12-12-2015 04:28 PM
Advertisement

eastside cat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
we go over expansion every few weeks. No
12-12-2015 05:14 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
No one but BYU and Boise, and the clock is ticking on Boise.
12-12-2015 05:31 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

(12-12-2015 04:28 PM)PiratePanther189 Wrote:  

No to expansion. No.

Yeah, apologies. I did a bit of research. You're not off base I am. In terms of realistically being able to poach MWC teams, I'm not sure of the feasibility. I personally don't know how smart it is for us to expand before teams leave, either. Maybe proactive as opposed to reactive wouldn't be a terrible idea. I think we've got a better chance of going after C-USA teams, though.

I really think that the AAC could poach those teams. The AAC is on fire and will continue to be for some time.
12-12-2015 06:05 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

(12-12-2015 05:31 PM)rosewater Wrote:  No one but BYU and Boise, and the clock is ticking on Boise.

Those two aren't worth the head ache. BYU likes to be independent and Boise state might as well be on the other side of the planet.
12-12-2015 06:09 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(12-12-2015 06:09 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 05:31 PM)rosewater Wrote:  No one but BYU and Boise, and the clock is ticking on Boise.

Those two aren't worth the head ache. BYU likes to be independent and Boise state might as well be on the other side of the planet.

that byu statement isnt even remotely true

and byu has made public statements in regards to that, their coach that just left for virginia said 3 months ago that byu could maybe do indy for 3 more years but has to be in a conference by then (everyone thinks thats why he left for virginia)

an article came out that reported the long running rumor that byu turned down the big 12 3 years ago before inviting wvu, their AD went of his way to tweet saying that wasnt remotely true, that they'd have easily taken a big 12 invite if offered

you can argue both of those comments were in regard to the Big 12 not the AAC, and youd be correct..but they clearly show that byu doesnt want to be indy at all... IMO byu is a waiting game, they dont want indy, the big 12 has made numerous statements that they are looking east, eventually the standards will drop over time and they will be in the AAC or MWC
12-12-2015 07:28 PM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
Is a trade possible.
12-12-2015 07:42 PM
SDSU-Alum2003 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: San Diego State
(12-12-2015 03:53 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Should the AAC see expand? And it so, who should they look at? IMO, I think the AAC should and ya'll should target Colorado state and New Mexico.
You can have New Mexico! Please take them. One of the worst schools in the MWC... Nothing but dead weight.
12-12-2015 07:58 PM
ECBrad Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
SDSU/NV/BSU/BYU for a western wing, if the money was right.

e; nevada can be subbed out for another cali school or whatever it would just be nice to have somebody nearer than two states to SDSU
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 08:02 PM by ECBrad.)
12-12-2015 08:01 PM
SDSU-Alum2003 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: San Diego State

No to expansion. No.

Flagship? Lol! Ok. There are ONLY 2 Division I schools in New Mexico. And for being their states FLAGSHIP school they fall 31 places behind SDSU (a STATE SCHOOL, granted it is THE BEST State school in CALIFORNIA) in US NEWS academic rankings.

Albuquerque's DMA is 48; so I guess if you cosider being in the top 50 good; ok?

Basketball is small potatoes compared to football & Lobo football is TERRIBLE! Is it an added bonus, yes; but insignificant in the BIG picture.

One things for sure about the NEW MEXICO BOWL; it is definitely MINOR.

In addition, New Mexico is one of the POOREST states in the entire country. There is a reason it has the nickname "New Methico."

Like I said; if you want New Mexico you can have 'em. Lol!
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 08:39 PM by SDSU-Alum2003.)
12-12-2015 08:33 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: RE: AAC expansion

The SEC should kick arkansas and missouri out. Lol. We might take missouri
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2015 09:49 PM by shere khan.)
12-12-2015 09:49 PM
Advertisement

Savacool Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulane
Yes expand with BYU,Army,Air Force and Colorado State only. Maybe Rice if Houston agrees.
12-13-2015 02:57 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

If we expand west, the Mountain Time Zone would be the first frontier. The Pacific Time Zone would be the final frontier.

Mountain Time Zone Schools
BYU
Air Force
Colorado St
Boise St
New Mexico
Wyoming
Utah St

Pacific Time Zone schools
UNLV
Nevada
San Diego St
San Jose St
Fresno St

Hawaii-Aleutian Time Zone
Hawaii

BYU, Air Force (and Army) likely have standing invites.

Colo State is building a $200M football stadium and has the the second best academics in the MWC behind Air Force. Together with Air Force, they would help deliver the Denver/Colo Springs TV markets (1.92M households).

Salt Lake is the next biggest Mountain market (880K), followed by Albuquerque (660K).

San Fran (2.48M) and San Diego (1.06M) are the biggest Pacific markets, followed by Las Vegas (740K) and Fresno (560K).

If we expand with teams not named BYU or Army, then the Air Force/Colo St combo seems to be the logical first move.

It doesn't hurt that AF/Colo St are two of the five "front range" schools which also include Utah, BYU and Wyoming. These five controlled the old WAC. They broke off from the WAC and formed the MWC, inviting New Mex, SDSU and UNLV to join.

Getting AF/Colo St could be the key to convincing BYU.
12-13-2015 07:41 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
why would Navy want Air Force in conference - especially in the same division? I can see Colorado St though.

but expansion talk for a conference just going into its 4th season is silly and premature.
12-13-2015 08:30 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy

With the Army / Navy Game over there must be a whole week off for FOOTBALL WITHDRAW. COGS 04-jawdrop 02-13-banana 04-chairshot 05-stirthepot 03-nutkick 04-cheers 07-coffee3
12-13-2015 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.