Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Charlotte?
Bookmark and Share
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Charlotte?
I thought they were invited because of their good basketball?

Looks like the joke is on the rest of us. So now we get stuck with their football program and a bad basketball program.

Markets markets markets 01-wingedeagle
12-15-2015 11:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rileylives Offline
Heisman

RE: Charlotte?
I think you're being a little hard on em. I mean, who are we right now to be looking down on anyone?

Charlotte has worked very hard to get back to this point (starting up football). I know someone in their athletic department, and I am rooting for Charlotte to get back up soon. They are a great addition, and if they start to build a pulse, that stadium can easily be expanded.

Basketball is down for all of us right now, and we should just live with the reality we are a one bid league. Besides, they are a founding member of this conference, something we can't say...
12-15-2015 11:31 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

In what ways are they CURRENTLY a good addition?

No doubt that they COULD end up being a great addition, but please tell me what they are currently bringing to the table.
12-15-2015 11:49 AM
goherd17 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-15-2015 11:49 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  In what ways are they CURRENTLY a good addition?

No doubt that they COULD end up being a great addition, but please tell me what they are currently bringing to the table.

for you to be talking basketball with our crappy program really. they hired new coach etc 03-banghead
12-15-2015 11:56 AM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

We were not brought into the conference because of our basketball pedigree.

When we invited Charlotte a lot of us were asking why. Stating there was no reason to invite a start up football program.

The argument was that Charlotte has a great basketball program and was going to add to our conference in that aspect.

Well they are 1-8 with an RPI of 235.

Marshall is 3-6 with a current RPI of 251 (hasn't updated with our win last night.)

So they are in the same ball park as our crappy basketball program....aka, they are crappy in basketball.

So I will ask once again....what exactly do they bring to the conference table?
12-15-2015 12:11 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-15-2015 11:56 AM)goherd17 Wrote:  
(12-15-2015 11:49 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  In what ways are they CURRENTLY a good addition?

for you to be talking basketball with our crappy program really. they hired new coach etc 03-banghead

Agreed, MU basketball is in bad shape. We have only beaten two OVC and one MEAC teams so far this season.
12-15-2015 12:12 PM
Advertisement

goherd17 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-15-2015 12:11 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  We were not brought into the conference because of our basketball pedigree.

When we invited Charlotte a lot of us were asking why. Stating there was no reason to invite a start up football program.

The argument was that Charlotte has a great basketball program and was going to add to our conference in that aspect.

Well they are 1-8 with an RPI of 235.

Marshall is 3-6 with a current RPI of 251 (hasn't updated with our win last night.)

So they are in the same ball park as our crappy basketball program....aka, they are crappy in basketball.

So I will ask once again....what exactly do they bring to the conference table?

again hired new coach had some defections. Better history of bball than Marshall I would say. And I went to the game down there for football nice stadium and beautiful campus. Only had program for 3 years I think and IMO a lot of potential. And these threads does no one any good 03-puke
12-15-2015 12:29 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Charlotte will be back in basketball. Don't they have the highest rated recruit in the conference coming in? Seems like their football is on the right path too, just going to take some time.
12-15-2015 12:29 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(12-15-2015 12:11 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  We were not brought into the conference because of our basketball pedigree.

Correct and it took Marshall 11 years to win a championship
Correct it took Marshall 5 years to having a winning football team
Correct it took Marshall 9 years to break .500 during the season

So by my count UNCC still has a few years before they reach those lofty standards
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 12:38 PM by WKUYG.)
12-15-2015 12:37 PM
wh49er Offline
All American

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(12-15-2015 11:22 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  I thought they were invited because of their good basketball?

Looks like the joke is on the rest of us. So now we get stuck with their football program and a bad basketball program.

Good see our little favorite troll is alive and well. Did Momma get another AOL cd for you to get back on the interwebs?
12-15-2015 12:46 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Don't single out Charlotte. More than Charlotte qualifies as "big market, no production."
12-15-2015 12:46 PM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 11:22 AM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  I thought they were invited because of their good basketball?

Basketball program wasn't a dumpster fire when we left the A10. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.

We dominated olympic sports in the A10, so we were probably able to push ourselves as a solid addition for everything until football got some years under its belt.

In reality though, we dominated olympic sports because the A10 sucked at virtually all of those. When we went to a southern league with good olympic sports, we no longer looked as good as we thought we were, except for men's soccer. It is legitimately the only really good program right now.

Everything else is mediocre to bad. 03-banghead
12-15-2015 12:49 PM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

(12-15-2015 12:37 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  

So by my count UNCC still has a few years before they reach those lofty standards

Not the same conference genius....same name but not the same conference.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 12:55 PM by FlyHawk98.)
12-15-2015 12:54 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 12:54 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  

Same conference but if you want to play that game...I will.

So what you're saying is it took ECU, Houston, Memphis, UCF to leave before Marshall could actually get over .500?

I wonder what those schools thought about a Marshall program that was "brought in because of football" then never getting above .500 during the season for those 8 years?

Let me guess...THANK GOD THANK GOD...we finally got away from a school who never got close to being as good as the WEAK MAC made them look.

Wouldn't you agree with that?
12-15-2015 01:08 PM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

Yes I would agree with that. If you want to look at things objectively.

Being extremely close to the Marshall situation, I also know that we had a lot of problems going on at our school during this time.

The difference is that our success immediately before joining CUSA was so good that it kind of made up for our bad years.

But yes, being objective and not getting into all the problems Marshall had going on, that would be a fair statement.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 01:20 PM by FlyHawk98.)
12-15-2015 01:19 PM
FlyHawk98 Offline
1st String

WKU would have NEVER competed in that version of CUSA, not even this year when you had your 6th year QB and best season ever.
12-15-2015 01:21 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 01:19 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  Yes I would agree with that. If you want to look at things objectively.

Being extremely close to the Marshall situation, I also know that we had a lot of problems going on at our school during this time.

The difference is that our success immediately before joining CUSA was so good that it kind of made up for our bad years.

But yes, being objective and not getting into all the problems Marshall had going on, that would be a fair statement.

So it took Marshall 8 years even with their former success to actually win. Correct? Well, not really...it also took schools leaving. Correct?

So now you want UNCC (No disrespect intended I called them that since Cornbread Maxwell took them to a F4) to win in their 3rd year of rejoining CUSA. Correct?

Yet UNCC went to the NCAA Tourney 7 out of the 10 years they were in CUSA before joining the A10.

So let me get this straight...

Marshall earned it taking 8 years and 4 or 5 of the top schools leaving before they actually won. They earned this by the former success...correct?

Yet you don't think UNCC deserves the same when their former success came in the same conference they are rejoining and that success was being ranked 3 years and making 7 out of 10 NCAA Tourneys?

OK!
12-15-2015 01:38 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 01:21 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  WKU would have NEVER competed in that version of CUSA, not even this year when you had your 6th year QB and best season ever.

We will never know that but one thing we do know...

Western doesn't have any trouble beating Marshall. But hey there is always ...NEXT YEAR.
12-15-2015 01:39 PM
Herd-in-ATL Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall, UGA
(12-15-2015 01:08 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(12-15-2015 12:54 PM)FlyHawk98 Wrote:  

Same conference but if you want to play that game...I will.

So what you're saying is it took ECU, Houston, Memphis, UCF to leave before Marshall could actually get over .500?

I wonder what those schools thought about a Marshall program that was "brought in because of football" then never getting above .500 during the season for those 8 years?

Let me guess...THANK GOD THANK GOD...we finally got away from a school who never got close to being as good as the WEAK MAC made them look.

Wouldn't you agree with that?

I think CUSA viewed Marshall much in the way they viewed WKU when Western was invited to join. A regional University with continued upward potential and a school committed to it's athletic programs... Plus Marshall football was on the upswing when it joined the MAC in 1997, with a Hall of Fame coach Bobby Pruitt and 2 Heisman candidates, so yes they were very successful in the MAC, much like Western in CUSA, but not because the MAC was a weak conference, Marshall won a lot because they were a damn good football program, one only needs to look at Marshall's bowl record during that time for proof. On the flip side they were on downswing when they joined a very good CUSA, with the retirement/resignation of Pruitt and being placed on scholarship limitation probation... So yes it took some time to recover... it happens.. I personally think UNCC is a smart addition, because if they had started their football program 10+ years ago like they tried to, they would more than likely be in the AAC, partly because of the city they reside in.
12-15-2015 01:42 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

We helped create this conference. You're playing games somewhere other than the MAC East today partly thanks to Charlotte. You need to educate yourself.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 01:47 PM by 49RFootballNow.)
12-15-2015 01:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.