Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obama back oil pipeline
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Obama back oil pipeline
But not in the US

Quote:The State Department did not respond to questions from TheBlaze about whether this pipeline raised the same concerns about climate change and how the U.S. would help Kenya raise the funds.

In an editorial, the Wall Street Journal asked: “Has Mr. Godec checked with Secretary of State John Kerry, or, perhaps more important, anti-oil Democratic financier Tom Steyer? Kenya and Northeast Africa could certainly use the investment and jobs that would come from the oil project. Then again, so could the United States. What’s with the double standard on pipelines?”

So evidently this pipeline doesn't pose any climate change issues, and also must be in the national interest of the US unlike the Keystone pipeline. Amazing that a 3rd world country like Kenya can be more environmentally responsible with their pipeline with all the terrorist activity over there and political instability in the region and that finding a way to assist with the $18B pipeline is of US national interest.
01-12-2016 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
RE: Obama back oil pipeline
I always like it when people help out their home country.

(Liberals, I am being facetious. I know Obama is an American citizen)
01-12-2016 11:14 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
You cannot make this **** up! The liberal hypocrisy is strong in obummer.
01-12-2016 11:16 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
The economic proxy war in Africa between us and the Chinese is heating up.

Obama made the right call. If he had been against it he would have been a total idiot.
01-12-2016 11:19 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(01-12-2016 11:19 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The economic proxy war in Africa between us and the Chinese is heating up.

Obama made the right call. If he had been against it he would have been a total idiot.

The Chinese are about a whisper away from their entire economy collapsing. Unless Obama is pulling a Reagan out of his ass and attempting to get China to overextend themselves, this is pointless. Africa will never be anything more than another middle east to the US with countless military skirmishes and an endless humanitarian money pit.
01-12-2016 11:31 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2016 11:31 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 11:19 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  The economic proxy war in Africa between us and the Chinese is heating up.

The Chinese are about a whisper away from their entire economy collapsing. Unless Obama is pulling a Reagan out of his ass and attempting to get China to overextend themselves, this is pointless. Africa will never be anything more than another middle east to the US with countless military skirmishes and an endless humanitarian money pit.

That will change over the next 100 years.
01-12-2016 11:32 AM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-12-2016 11:32 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Why would the next 100 years be any different than the previous 500? I guess "they'll do it right this time".........
01-12-2016 11:36 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2016 11:36 AM)Crebman Wrote:  

Why would the next 100 years be any different than the previous 500? I guess "they'll do it right this time".........

Growth
Economic Development
Political stability
01-12-2016 11:39 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

(01-12-2016 11:39 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Growth
Economic Development
Political stability

If the middle east is still bogged down with tribal warlords and faux republics, what makes you think Africa will be any different. I see absolutely no short-term (100 years) benefit to the US getting involved in Africa.
01-12-2016 11:44 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2016 11:44 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 11:31 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  The Chinese are about a whisper away from their entire economy collapsing. Unless Obama is pulling a Reagan out of his ass and attempting to get China to overextend themselves, this is pointless. Africa will never be anything more than another middle east to the US with countless military skirmishes and an endless humanitarian money pit.

Growth
Economic Development
Political stability

If the middle east is still bogged down with tribal warlords and faux republics, what makes you think Africa will be any different. I see absolutely no short-term (100 years) benefit to the US getting involved in Africa.

Sub-Saharan Africa is most certainly NOT the Middle East in terms of tribalism.

Tribalism as it exists in Africa is less about religious differences and more about political ones. They are solved on an ongoing basis and the continent is a safer more peaceful place from tribal conflict than it was 50 years ago.

Africa is also much more open to Western political ties, theory, etc.

Their government are modernizing rapidly. I work for the Republic of Equatorial Guinea and they double their administrative capacity every 2 or 3 years. The problem, like with most of Africa, is their starting point.

Likewise, Gabon is an all around success story in Africa.

Africa has its problems, mostly corruption, but you are going to see those subside over the next 100 years.

America's future is in Africa and nobody who has done business on the continent will tell you otherwise.

I can tell you this, if I was ever to emigrate I would go to either Equatorial Guinea or Gabon.
01-12-2016 11:51 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Hope you're right HoD, but it's quite hard to any see progress there. At least on the surface.
01-12-2016 11:56 AM
Advertisement

HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2016 11:56 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Hope you're right HoD, but it's quite hard to any see progress there. At least on the surface.

I don't think that is fair to say.

You have to understand that while their progress can be considered modest from our viewpoint it is astronomical from theirs.

Most of Africa have, until the last 20 years, lived at a technical, social, economic, and political level of like 5000BC.

Their problems center around education and that level of development.

You can go across Africa and find an individual that can get an 80s Peugeot to run but you'd be hard pressed to find an individual who can build a simple bridge. You have modern farming techniques right next to people who are barely in the horticultural stage.

That's changing. The key is that they are coming from so far behind. Rome is several thousand years more advanced than a lot of parts of Africa.

The know-how is starting to reach some of these countries and areas though. Equatorial Guinea is a great example; 20 years ago there was no university in the entire country and now they have over 20,000 college students training.

E.G. went from one of the poorest nations on Earth with a GDP of like $300 per person to a GDP around the same as Mississippi. In terms of real income the people of E.G. have gone from less than $1.00 per day to over $3.00 per day. While that may seem comical it is huge in person and on the ground. What would a tripling in real income in the United States look like and feel like?

You simply can't take people out of huts and have them run modern economies. That's where 90% of Africa's problems come from. It drives corruption, inequality, and hampers economic growth. But, it is changing and at an astounding pace.

They may not be at a point where they can sustain organic economic growth but in 15-20 years they will be.

If America ignores that based on our experience in the Middle East, which is entirely dissimilar in every conceivable way, we will ensure our decline. Africa is the Wild West and it is where the world's economic future lies entirely.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 12:09 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
01-12-2016 12:07 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Obama back oil pipeline
(01-12-2016 12:07 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 11:56 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Hope you're right HoD, but it's quite hard to any see progress there. At least on the surface.

You have to understand that while their progress can be considered modest from our viewpoint it is astronomical from theirs.

Most of Africa have, until the last 20 years, lived at a technical, social, economic, and political level of like 5000BC.

You can go across Africa and find an individual that can get an 80s Peugeot to run but you'd be hard pressed to find an individual who can build a simple bridge. You have modern farming techniques right next to people who are barely in the horticultural stage.

That's changing. The key is that they are coming from so far behind. Rome is several thousand years more advanced than a lot of parts of Africa.

The know-how is starting to reach some of these countries and areas though. Equatorial Guinea is a great example; 20 years ago there was no university in the entire country and now they have over 20,000 college students training.

E.G. went from one of the poorest nations on Earth with a GDP of like $300 per person to a GDP around the same as Mississippi. In terms of real income the people of E.G. have gone from less than $1.00 per day to over $3.00 per day. While that may seem comical it is huge in person and on the ground. What would a tripling in real income in the United States look like and feel like?

You simply can't take people out of huts and have them run modern economies. That's where 90% of Africa's problems come from. It drives corruption, inequality, and hampers economic growth. But, it is changing and at an astounding pace.

They may not be at a point where they can sustain organic economic growth but in 15-20 years they will be.

If America ignores that based on our experience in the Middle East, which is entirely dissimilar in every conceivable way, we will ensure our decline. Africa is the Wild West and it is where the world's economic future lies entirely.

You are far more positive about Africa than most. That said I think you are glossing over the multitude of failures the West has suffered with regards improvements on the continent. Many of those nations feel that the West simply giving money with high interest is an inferior model to China's plan and are moving more towards them.
01-12-2016 12:52 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2016 12:52 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

You are far more positive about Africa than most. That said I think you are glossing over the multitude of failures the West has suffered with regards improvements on the continent. Many of those nations feel that the West simply giving money with high interest is an inferior model to China's plan and are moving more towards them.

I'd strongly disagree with that.

African relations with China are on a downward trend. Public opinion in regards to the Chinese are worse than their old colonial masters. Most African nations possess a love-hate relationship with their old colonial masters. They dislike them strongly but trust them more than any other.

The Chinese are viewed as possessing all of the Imperialist disadvantages with next to none of the advantages. They want modernity and the Chinese don't offer that.

More importantly, the countries that aligned with China over the West have come out worse than those that aligned in the other direction.

The African populace are pragmatists to the extreme. They buy what works and what the Chinese are selling doesn't work, for long.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 12:59 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
01-12-2016 12:58 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
They look like his sons.
01-12-2016 01:05 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA

Growth
Economic Development
Political stability

03-lmfao African nations are still as corrupt and violent as they've ever been. You've lost your damn mind.

http://www.atlasandboots.com/most-danger...ld-ranked/
http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/th...xJUZ5u9j_x
[Image: cpi-2014-small.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 01:10 PM by blunderbuss.)
01-12-2016 01:07 PM
Advertisement

vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Obama back oil pipeline
(01-12-2016 12:58 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

African relations with China are on a downward trend. Public opinion in regards to the Chinese are worse than their old colonial masters. Most African nations possess a love-hate relationship with their old colonial masters. They dislike them strongly but trust them more than any other.

The Chinese are viewed as possessing all of the Imperialist disadvantages with next to none of the advantages. They want modernity and the Chinese don't offer that.

More importantly, the countries that aligned with China over the West have come out worse than those that aligned in the other direction.

The African populace are pragmatists to the extreme. They buy what works and what the Chinese are selling doesn't work, for long.

The nations on the Horn of Africa seem to have an amicable relationship with the Chinese but my info might be dated.

That said, if modernity is the desire, it's not as if the tools to attain those goals are a state secret. It simply requires that people agree to plan the minimizes corruption and nepotism that is in opposition to advancement.
01-12-2016 01:28 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-12-2016 01:28 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(01-12-2016 12:58 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

The nations on the Horn of Africa seem to have an amicable relationship with the Chinese but my info might be dated.

That said, if modernity is the desire, it's not as if the tools to attain those goals are a state secret. It simply requires that people agree to plan the minimizes corruption and nepotism that is in opposition to advancement.

It's important when discussing Africa to throw out all the measuring sticks and tools.

We are talking a different world.

We can say, sitting here in our world, that in order to develop country X must do A, B, and C and that will be reflected in their rates of A, B, and C.

The truth is that doing A, B, and C in Africa is not possible because the fundamental foundations of political, social, and economic thought which encompass those things, or tools, do not exist.

We can break down any policy argument and find holes in its foundation in Africa. Political thought, capitalism versus statism, in Africa is a facade. It's analogous to a mechanic who can fix a car but not build one because he has no understanding of the principles which make each part work. He certainly knows which box connects where but has no real depth of knowledge.

That's much of Africa in a nutshell.

However, if you view it from their perspective, they are backfilling those holes at an extraordinary pace. As I said, the administrative capacity of the E.G. government doubles every few years. Sure, they have a few thousand years worth of knowledge to backfill but they are doing it.

We, in the West, have a tendency to not understand them because we are seeing everything our way.

Africa wants modernity, and modernity in their eyes means filling those technical and academic holes. We simply think of them, for the most part, as stupid or ignorant. They most certainly are not.

You can also see it from an economic perspective. What we view as corruption is largely caused by the fact that there is a gap between the top and bottom with no connecting socio-economic tissue.

You simply can't take a man out of a hut and tell him to operate machinery. There is an underlying need for a certain level of civic, social, and educational knowledge which is not available, yet. Also, you simply cannot take a man out of a hut and make him a government official for the same reasons.

The end result is wealth accumulates at the top because it has nowhere to flow.

A release valve for that accumulation also appears as corruption to the Western world in local partner rules.

In order to do business a company or individual from outside the country, whatever it may be, is required to have a local partner. In practice it means signing up a useless mouth to pay. In theory, it helps money penetrate the social orders and reach the bottom. In reality, it actually does that. E.G. has more than tripled its real income to its bottom 25% of the population. Many other African countries can lay claim to a 50% to 150% increase.

We also view "palace building" as corruption. This is when a government spends money on government buildings in the middle of nowhere which serve no purpose or when they seem to expend money in frivolous ways on buildings and such. Well, construction is one of the few areas where locals are prepared to work and can learn on the job. It's a low tech way of spreading money through the social strata.

Westerners for the most part don't appreciate Africa because we cannot conceive of a world view which doesn't include 5000 years of built upon knowledge. But, that's Africa.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2016 01:48 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
01-12-2016 01:44 PM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
HoD: I hope you are right and agree that Africa offers a great opportunity for economic development. Whatever country can gain the trust in the continent, will benefit. I hope this isn't just wishful thinking.

Yet I do wonder about your statement

Quote:Tribalism as it exists in Africa is less about religious differences and more about political ones. They are solved on an ongoing basis and the continent is a safer more peaceful place from tribal conflict than it was 50 years ago.

This seems to be totally off base when you consider that only 20 years ago, the Hutus and Tutsis literally hacked to death one million people. This wasn't some tribal spat but tribalism at is basest form of brutality. I submit that it is has been an indigenous aspect of African tribal society for 75,000 years and will continue to rile the continent for decades to come. (But you did say 100 years, so maybe, you're right.)
01-12-2016 01:52 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Africa is definitely something else. Especially SSA.

Economic exploitation and irresponsible boundary drawing by Europeans definitely helped mess that place up.

At the same time, had Europeans never landed there, they'd still have bones in their noses and no written language.
01-12-2016 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.