Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WSU president John Bardo just tweeted a picture of a WSU football helmet
CyclonePower Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Iowa State
WSU president John Bardo just tweeted a picture of a WSU football helmet
https://twitter.com/President_Bardo/stat...6874415104

Looks more and more likely that WSU could bring back football.
02-03-2016 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: WSU president John Bardo just tweeted a picture of a WSU football helmet
Next Tweet:

Meeting with consultants today to talk about athletics. Excited for future possibilities at Wichita State.
02-03-2016 01:13 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I have a sinking feeling that Wichita State is going to be an AAC school soon. I also think that they're going to win in football as well. I don't have any justification for this, though.
02-03-2016 01:31 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Why is that a sinking feeling?

WSU and Tulsa will make great travel partners (again).
02-03-2016 01:36 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
I thinking more likely the MW. But the AAC could be an option if the AAC loses a couple or more schools.

Sweet helmet though.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 01:39 PM by MWC Tex.)
02-03-2016 01:38 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I can see them as a non-football addition. The AAC isn't adding a start up in football. They likely would start out in FCS like any other program.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 01:39 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-03-2016 01:39 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(02-03-2016 01:36 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Why is that a sinking feeling?

WSU and Tulsa will make great travel partners (again).

Tulsa would get a natural rival if they were to join.

I say sinking feeling in that they wouldn't be an easy conference win.
02-03-2016 01:46 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(02-03-2016 01:39 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I can see them as a non-football addition. The AAC isn't adding a start up in football. They likely would start out in FCS like any other program.

This. While there is certainly long-term potential with WSU for the AAC, they won't be adding a startup without some type of transition status as an FCS/Independent before they become a full member.

Basketball-wise, they would be an immediate improvement that would help prop-up the league. Not sure they want to go through a non-football member-arrangement again, though.
02-03-2016 01:59 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
Kansas can't support 2 football programs much less 3. KSU has had a very good run, Kansas hasn't won since the fat Italian left. Kansas does have alot of quality JUCO players but a little light on the HS talent. Why spend all that $ on football. Wichita has a nice hockey arena and an ECHL team, why not sponsor a hockey program instead. No arena to build would make it less expensive than football.
02-03-2016 02:15 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

WSU isn't a startup. Not like Coastal Carolina or Charlotte. They had football, at the level of Tulsa. They had fans. And those fans support the bball team.

Obviously they have to first play in FCS to transition, by rule. I wasn't suggesting they be in the AAC during that transition period.

But the AAC pretending it's too good to take WSU's team, once moved into FBS?? Absurd.
02-03-2016 02:16 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
That might make things quite interesting for several programs, including Missouri State.
02-03-2016 02:38 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

No doubt MVFC would welcome them as a FCS program with open arms.

They won't stay FCS though. So does MVFC try to work with NCAA to be allowed to move up??
02-03-2016 02:42 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(02-03-2016 02:42 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  No doubt MVFC would welcome them as a FCS program with open arms.

They won't stay FCS though. So does MVFC try to work with NCAA to be allowed to move up??

Make the MVFC an all sports conference which leaves the Summit and MVC non-football members with a lot of holes to fill. I don't think Summit would qualified for an FBS status, but MVC does have history at the D1 A now known as FBS. The conferences that might be welcome back are SWC, Big West, WAC, MVC, Southland, Southern and CAA which most of the members of those conferences were part of the Big Boys at time, or P5 schools were former members. MVC did produced the Big 8 now known as the Big 12.
02-03-2016 02:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-03-2016 02:16 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  WSU isn't a startup. Not like Coastal Carolina or Charlotte. They had football, at the level of Tulsa. They had fans. And those fans support the bball team.

Obviously they have to first play in FCS to transition, by rule. I wasn't suggesting they be in the AAC during that transition period.

But the AAC pretending it's too good to take WSU's team, once moved into FBS?? Absurd.

I know you have your own definitions for everything---but Wichita is clearly a start up. They last played football in 1986---that's 3 decades ago. They have no players, no staff, no equipment, and 30 year old locker room/practice facilities. The stadium was built in 1969--though it was renovated in 1996 to make the track wider and upgrade the locker room as separate facilities for mens and womens track. It should be noted that existence of a track, let alone widening the track, makes it less attractive as a football venue. In 1992 a study indicated it would take 24 million to get the stadium up to D1 standards (that was 24 years ago, I suspect that cost is much higher now). In reality, starting football in Wichita would be far more similar to Charlotte's experience than to Coastal Carolina or Georgia Southern route to FBS. They are basically starting from scratch.

Would the AAC find them a reasonable selection once they are established. That would likely depend entirely on the performance of the program, its financial budget, and it's support/attendance.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 08:15 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-03-2016 03:08 PM
Erictelevision Online
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
(02-03-2016 02:53 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 02:42 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  No doubt MVFC would welcome them as a FCS program with open arms.

Make the MVFC an all sports conference which leaves the Summit and MVC non-football members with a lot of holes to fill. I don't think Summit would qualified for an FBS status, but MVC does have history at the D1 A now known as FBS. The conferences that might be welcome back are SWC, Big West, WAC, MVC, Southland, Southern and CAA which most of the members of those conferences were part of the Big Boys at time, or P5 schools were former members. MVC did produced the Big 8 now known as the Big 12.

I'd love to see that happen!!
02-03-2016 03:11 PM
Erictelevision Online
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
If they came DIRECTLY to FBS, the MAC or AAC are the only plausible landing spots.
02-03-2016 03:12 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Or maybe they're doubling down on the Missouri Valley, at least for the short and mid-term future. Can't imagine a lot of enthusiasm for leaving the MoValley for Sun Belt, CUSA or MAC hoops, and unless I'm missing something, the FBS conferences have their "no vacancy" signs out.
02-03-2016 03:16 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2016 03:16 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Or maybe they're doubling down on the Missouri Valley, at least for the short and mid-term future. Can't imagine a lot of enthusiasm for leaving the MoValley for Sun Belt, CUSA or MAC hoops, and unless I'm missing something, the FBS conferences have their "no vacancy" signs out.

Wichita State and North Dakota State to MWC? The fans and everybody at Wichita State wants out of the crappy MVC with the RPI being drugged down. MWC would be an upgrade for both schools. It would bring the best football product in NDSU and the best basketball product WSU to the MWC. Those 2 could help boast the tv contract for the MWC for both sports.
02-03-2016 03:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(02-03-2016 03:12 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  If they came DIRECTLY to FBS, the MAC or AAC are the only plausible landing spots.
or the MW.

If recall clearly, they want football to be FBS and not FCS. So they may asking for any FBS conference (CUSA?) to start up football, a la, UNC-Charlotte and now UAB.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 03:23 PM by MWC Tex.)
02-03-2016 03:22 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

Remember, SBC have been flirting Missouri State to join. They could dump Idaho, and invite Missouri State. The ship is sinking in the MVFC and MVC as both could lose members.
02-03-2016 03:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.