Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

tOSU blog analyses the blight of Rutgers and Maryland on B1G athletics.
Bookmark and Share
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
tOSU blog analyses the blight of Rutgers and Maryland on B1G athletics.
http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/6/...nd-Rutgers

"Rutgers is still terrible at almost everything"

"Maryland is good at sports that the conference doesn’t care about, less good at the ones it does"
06-15-2016 04:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nebraskafan Offline
Banned

I Root For: Nebreaska
RE: tOSU blog analyses the blight of Rutgers and Maryland on B1G athletics.
Rutgers is doing a great job with their purpose to the conference.
06-15-2016 04:47 PM
RutgersMike Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers
Rutgers does have a B1G job (forgive the pun) before all of our facilities are competive with the rest of the conference. But Rutgers now has competent leadership on all fronts since basically forever.
06-15-2016 06:02 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Brutal
06-15-2016 06:18 PM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(06-15-2016 06:18 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Brutal

Rutgers is lead by a classic failure as president.
If Ohio St had Barchi as president they would also stink.
Also New Jersey has an idiot as governor and Ohio has a great governor.
Lousy leadership does count.
06-15-2016 06:33 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(06-15-2016 04:47 PM)Nebraskafan Wrote:  Rutgers is doing a great job with their purpose to the conference.

I would like your opinion of the "purpose" of each individual school in the B1G "to the conference" since you mentioned the subject.
06-15-2016 06:57 PM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Rutgers purpose is to reside in New Jersey. Maryland's purpose is to reside in Maryland. Unless they move out of their respective states, they are doing exactly what the B1G needs them to do.
06-15-2016 07:10 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Exactly. Give Mich, Mich St, OSU and PSU wins in football, while looking like they're trying. And do well in bball, plus other sports.
06-15-2016 08:14 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
I'm not the least bit concerned. We have a new head coach and the state-of-the-art facilities are projected to be completed sometime in spring 2017.
06-15-2016 08:15 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon
How about you take a look at this one (http://www.offtackleempire.com/2016/5/3/...rts-update) It accounts for a number of items.

Conference Standing Percentage (CS%): Think of the final standings for a given sport as a number line, 0-1, with last place at 0 and first place at 1. A school's CS% is the average of their position on this number line for every sport in which they compete. This is, in my mind, the best metric to use for direct comparison, and thus the metric by which the B1GASS field is ranked.

Weighted Conference Standing Percentage (WCS%): WCS% is a school's CS% multiplied by the number of sports they compete in. Northwestern has 10 fewer sports than Michigan or Ohio State, so they have 10 fewer chances for poor finishes. WCS% attempts to correct for that. Presented as a reference point only.

Average Standing (AS): Exactly what it sounds like--an average of the final standing for each sport. This is a deeply flawed metric, due to different numbers of schools participating in different sports. For example, Average Standing will treat a 6th place finish in football (out of 14 teams--admirable) the same as a 6th place finish in hockey (out of 6--dead last). Presented as a reference point only.

It also shows how effective the athletic department is with money. "Several people mentioned last year that it would be interesting to combine the above metrics with athletic department expenditures to see who spends their money most effectively and gets the most performance per dollar."

Do I like this one more because it make the Terps look better…perhaps. But I do think it is really interesting and can't wait to see what it looks like when updated in July(ish) with the most recent financial info is released. Should also be interesting to see year over year change and long(er) term trends.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 08:26 PM by TerpsNPhoenix.)
06-15-2016 08:25 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(06-15-2016 08:15 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  I'm not the least bit concerned. We have a new head coach and the state-of-the-art facilities are projected to be completed sometime in spring 2017.

There is no doubt that MD will "look good" in defeat. Can you please admit that this was a basketball move for Maryland.

I firmly believe MD will do great in B1G basketball. There is nothing wrong with that.
06-15-2016 08:27 PM
Advertisement

TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

(06-15-2016 08:27 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(06-15-2016 08:15 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  I'm not the least bit concerned. We have a new head coach and the state-of-the-art facilities are projected to be completed sometime in spring 2017.

There is no doubt that MD will "look good" in defeat. Can you please admit that this was a basketball move for Maryland.

I firmly believe MD will do great in B1G basketball. There is nothing wrong with that.

It was a money, sports and academic move. Also a move to a conference where the Terps feel more appreciated.
06-15-2016 08:32 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland

Maryland was once competitive in football. I think we can become competitive again. We finally have an administration that supports the program. I haven't seen this level of support in over 30 years.
06-15-2016 08:46 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(06-15-2016 08:32 PM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  

It was a money, sports and academic move. Also a move to a conference where the Terps feel more appreciated.

Money will help Maryland be better in basketball in the B1G. I appreciate your perspective. Please expound on how the Terps felt slighted by the ACC. What decisions were made that rubbed Maryland the wrong way? I totally understand the whole cic and former President in B1G angle. I understand Loh and why he was brought in.
I don't fully understand the whole " Maryland wasn't appreciated in the ACC" angle.
Sounds like it has been festering for years.
06-15-2016 08:49 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(06-15-2016 06:33 PM)Rich52c Wrote:  
(06-15-2016 06:18 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Brutal

Rutgers is lead by a classic failure as president.
If Ohio St had Barchi as president they would also stink.
Also New Jersey has an idiot as governor and Ohio has a great governor.
Lousy leadership does count.

First off, relax. I somehow picture you getting red in the face and screaming this out. It's a message board man, not real life issues.

Second, NJ and OH both have idiot governors. Kasich only being slightly less of on idiot and less corrupt, but that's a discussion for the Spin Room.

Third, Barchi's been the one to make the moves to hire Pat Hobbs and with Hobbs to hire Ash and Pikiell. Barchi on the academic side of things, you know the actual purpose for the school, has been very, very good. As an undergraduate under McCormick and an MBA student under Barchi, Barchi's been getting things done and changing things that needed changing. McCormick was much more incremental at best.
(This post was last modified: 06-15-2016 09:06 PM by brista21.)
06-15-2016 09:01 PM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

(06-15-2016 08:49 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(06-15-2016 08:32 PM)TerpsNPhoenix Wrote:  

Money will help Maryland be better in basketball in the B1G. I appreciate your perspective. Please expound on how the Terps felt slighted by the ACC. What decisions were made that rubbed Maryland the wrong way? I totally understand the whole cic and former President in B1G angle. I understand Loh and why he was brought in.
I don't fully understand the whole " Maryland wasn't appreciated in the ACC" angle.
Sounds like it has been festering for years.

Perhaps appreciated isn't exactly the correct term. That would be part of it but not all. The quick and dirty answer is that they were a founding member but lost some (much?) of the influence they once had. This thread goes into more detail if you want to read it (http://csnbbs.com/thread-778341.html)
06-15-2016 09:13 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Truth be told, there doesn't seem to be a reason why either Maryland or Rutgers couldn't do what a Michigan St has done. Other than perhaps having a lack of winning tradition.

If either kept all their best in-state talent, and had a great head coach that chose to stay (like Dantonio), why not?
06-15-2016 09:21 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(06-15-2016 04:36 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/6/...nd-Rutgers
... "Maryland is good at sports that the conference doesn’t care about, less good at the ones it does"
"Less good at the ones it does" ... that is, FB and BBall?

Certainly, after Freshmen mediocrity in FB came the sophomore blues for both of these schools, with 1-7 conference records and only Purdue doing worse then they did overall.

But the problem with the claim about "the sports that the Big Ten cares about" lies in the tale of the tape in Basketball ...
... Big Ten BBall: Maryland, #3 27-9, CONF: 12-6.

Either he is bullsh!tting about Maryland being "less good" in all of the sports that the Big Ten cares about, or bullsh!tting about those sports being anything other than FB and Bball.

When only two out of 13 other schools in the conference have a better conference record in one of the two sports the Big Ten really cares about, and our school had a worse record in one of them, we do not get the right to say, "wow, Maryland is not very good in either of the sports that the Big Ten cares about."
06-16-2016 01:24 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
If you work in the public sphere of New Jersey, then you know how incredibly curious folks are to transparency and accountability matters there with public institutions, including its schools.

Where Rutgers "did what it had to do," when it approached the Big Ten around the time the Penn State membership matter was coming to a close, it kept its communication lines open with Big Ten member institutions. So, when it made more sense at the time to maybe source out some athletic venue infrastructure to Newark, Trenton, or East Rutherford, Rutgers committed to its OCS and tidied up the RAC. Why? The Big Ten wanted that from its institutions.

In that regard, I don't think any school wanted Big Ten membership more than Rutgers. Good for them for finally getting it.

Now, are they institutionally prepared to be there or sustain operations at Big Ten standards? That remains to be seen. And, when you consider how "pesky" things can be in NJ, while the state gave both Rutgers and Rowan gifts with the UMDNJ slice-up, it remains to be seen whether this move will work. It remains to be seen if Rutgers institutionally will be able to justify such expenditures for athletics no matter what kind of subsidies and perks Big Ten membership provides. Let alone, is Rutgers truly the kind of institution where its leaders and community will be committed enough to major athletics?
06-16-2016 06:48 AM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
I don't know why anyone would expect them to be successful in a division that has Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh and Mark Dantonio.
06-16-2016 06:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.