Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USF Academics to get a boost from state
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
USF Academics to get a boost from state
Pour state has created tiers in how they view and fund universities. Right now only Florida and Florida State are recognized as " Pre-eminent" universities, tier 1. They get about 15 million more a year for academics. USF could be awarded " emerging preeminent" status on Thursday and receive 5 million more a year. President Genshaft's push for AAU status continues to pay up for our school.

You can read more details on this link
USF move towards Tier 1 school in Florida
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2016 08:20 AM by Cubanbull.)
06-22-2016 08:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
RE: USF Academics to get a boost from state
Good news for UCF too...as they were already set for emerging preeiminent review for Sept.

From State University System of FL Board of Gov website from earlier this month:

http://www.flbog.edu/pressroom/newsclips...p?id=35115
The University of Central Florida and the University of South Florida are on track to reach emerging pre-eminent status. The Florida Board of Governors is set to discuss whether USF has met the criteria for the status when it meets in June and whether UCF has met the criteria in September, board spokeswoman Brittany Davis said.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2016 08:28 AM by KnightLight.)
06-22-2016 08:28 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Good luck to you guys. According to the article we just need to meet two more criteria to get full status and should do that by 2018
06-22-2016 08:53 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(06-22-2016 08:05 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  President Genshaft's push for AAU status continues to pay up for our school.

I see this statement some what regularly, Houston and UConn have made similar statements IIRC. I think fans and even administrators misinterpret the AAU, increasingly bc it has become a piece of the athletic expansion propaganda.

Membership is invitation only. There are stated metrics that are used to evaluate current and potential members but simply reaching a specific measure does not automatically result in AAU membership. The second phase of membership review reads: "The second stage involves a more qualitative set of judgments about an institution’s mission, characteristics, and trajectory." Meaning, that even if you are competitive quantitatively, they have to like and want you.

This isn't a slight to USF, but there are plenty of universities that are quantitatively more accomplished that are not AAU. The AAU has a stated intent to remain small and selective (currently 60 US schools, 2 Canadian), by doing so they preserve their clout and influence. There have been 6 schools added to the AAU in 26 years. Its not a stretch to say USF will not be an AAU school in our life time. That is not to say they aren't or can't become a premiere academic institution.
06-22-2016 09:08 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-22-2016 09:08 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  
(06-22-2016 08:05 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  President Genshaft's push for AAU status continues to pay up for our school.

I see this statement some what regularly, Houston and UConn have made similar statements IIRC. I think fans and even administrators misinterpret the AAU, increasingly bc it has become a piece of the athletic expansion propaganda.

Membership is invitation only. There are stated metrics that are used to evaluate current and potential members but simply reaching a specific measure does not automatically result in AAU membership. The second phase of membership review reads: "The second stage involves a more qualitative set of judgments about an institution’s mission, characteristics, and trajectory." Meaning, that even if you are competitive quantitatively, they have to like and want you.

This isn't a slight to USF, but there are plenty of universities that are quantitatively more accomplished that are not AAU. The AAU has a stated intent to remain small and selective (currently 60 US schools, 2 Canadian), by doing so they preserve their clout and influence. There have been 6 schools added to the AAU in 26 years. Its not a stretch to say USF will not be an AAU school in our life time. That is not to say they aren't or can't become a premiere academic institution.

I understand what you are saying. At our school there is a definite plan to meet the metrics of AAU schools, the thought by our President has been all along that by measuring to those metrics it would raise the school's academic profile as a whole.
It's that plan that allowed USF to meet 9 out of the 12 criteria that our state created to measure Tier 1 status. We should hit two more by 2018 and receive full Tier 1 status with Florida and Florida State. We wouldn't be in that situation had it not been our President's push to meet AAU metrics for membership.
06-22-2016 09:16 AM
Sellular1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

I agree with your post. Invitations are very rare and any potential new member must be approved by 3/4 of the current AAU membership. It's a good ole boy system and it seems very unlikely they would support a school as "new" as USF. Hopefully things change.
06-22-2016 09:18 AM
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

(06-22-2016 09:16 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  the thought by our President has been all along that by measuring to those metrics it would raise the school's academic profile as a whole.

There is no denying that and I get it, saying we will be an AAU level institution is an easy way of saying we're aiming to be among the best. However, I would not hang my hat on official membership as an indicator of success. I think that will be hard to come by. There are damn fine institutions that are not AAU.
06-22-2016 09:22 AM
MechaKnight Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF, UAB, Army
Here's the criteria set by the state. Pre-eminient = 11/12, emerging pre-eminent = 6/12.

1) Incoming students must have average GPAs of 4.0 and SAT scores of 1,800.
2) Be considered a top 50 U.S. university in two or more notable publications
3) Have freshman retention rates of at least 90 percent
4) Have a six-year graduation rate of at least 70 percent
5) Have at least six faculty who are part of a national academy
6) Total annual research expenditures must be at least $200 million.
7) Total annual research expenditures in non-medical sciences must be at least $150 million.
8) Have top-100 university national rankings for research expenditures in at least five science, technology, engineering or mathematics fields
9) Have been awarded at least 100 patents in the last three years
10) Award 400 or more doctoral degrees annually, including professional doctoral degrees in medical and health care disciplines
11) Have 200 or more postdoctoral appointees annually, which means having at least 200 students doing post-doctoral work and advanced studies beyond their PhD programs
12) Have a private foundation endowment of at least $500 million

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/...inent.html
06-22-2016 09:36 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-22-2016 09:36 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  Here's the criteria set by the state. Pre-eminient = 11/12, emerging pre-eminent = 6/12.

7) Total annual research expenditures in non-medical sciences must be at least $150 million.
8) Have top-100 university national rankings for research expenditures in at least five science, technology, engineering or mathematics fields
10) Award 400 or more doctoral degrees annually, including professional doctoral degrees in medical and health care disciplines
11) Have 200 or more postdoctoral appointees annually, which means having at least 200 students doing post-doctoral work and advanced studies beyond their PhD programs

Thanks for posting.
USF currently meets 9 and it's very close on 2 more. The third is endowment we are at 417 million
06-22-2016 09:48 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(06-22-2016 09:36 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  Here's the criteria set by UF/FSU ALUMNI. Pre-eminient = 11/12, emerging pre-eminent = 6/12.

FIFY

UF and FSU Alumni set up the criteria a few years ago knowing that ONLY their 2 schools would be eligible for the extra $15 Million payment per year.

UF and FSU are still ticked off that Gov Bush broke up their cartel some 15-16 years that allowed the freedom and control to go back to all FLA Univ...vs the UF/FSU dominated Board of Gov.
06-22-2016 09:54 AM
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
"USF will not be an AAU school in our life time".

Disagree. Joining the AAU is not easy. The metrics of Georgia Tech when they were accepted are a good measure of what is required.

As stated above the AAU wants to remain small in number, but at some point the research and other metrics of several universities are going to exceed those of current members by large numbers. The metrics of UC, UCF, USF, and UH are rapidly approaching the metrics of a number of AAU members. The AAU will have to remove members, grow in number, or look totally biased.

USF ( 71 ) is already ranked by TARU. The "Measures" of TARU correlate highly to the Metrics used by the AAU. It is a good resource for tracking progress.

Some AAU members are not rising as fast as some none members. Some are small and some are publics in poor states.Thus, they do not have support of large publics in rich states. With 62 AAU schools, USF is breathing down the neck of some; Brandeis for example. A comparison made last year can be seen here:
http://uhoustonrocks.com/SurgeAAUMetrics.html

Congratulations to UCF and USF.

https://mup.asu.edu/sites/default/files/...Report.pdf
06-22-2016 10:01 AM
Advertisement

HamiltonJames Offline
2nd String

I Root For: G-5
(06-22-2016 10:01 AM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  "USF will not be an AAU school in our life time".

Disagree. Joining the AAU is not easy. The metrics of Georgia Tech when they were accepted are a good measure of what is required.

As stated above the AAU wants to remain small in number, but at some point the research and other metrics of several universities are going to exceed those of current members by large numbers. The metrics of UC, UCF, USF, and UH are rapidly approaching the metrics of a number of AAU members. The AAU will have to remove members, grow in number, or look totally biased.

USF ( 71 ) is already ranked by TARU. The "Measures" of TARU correlate highly to the Metrics used by the AAU. It is a good resource for tracking progress.

Some AAU members are not rising as fast as some none members. Some are small and some are publics in poor states.Thus, they do not have support of large publics in rich states. With 62 AAU schools, USF is breathing down the neck of some; Brandeis for example. A comparison made last year can be seen here:

UH isn't close to AAU. Nowhere near the level of research and competitive NSF grants of many others. AAU also requires some selectivity in admissions, which is why a large number of major state schools just won't get there and aren't interested (Arizona State e.g.).
Research is also measured on a per faculty member basis.
They also have to have meet certain levels of other accomplishments, such as percentage of faculty being NSF members.
A school like University of Miami is probably next in line.

UH is a fine school and is certainly on a high growth trajectory. AAC has several major research schools and its gross NSF funding is higher than Big 12.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2016 12:04 PM by HamiltonJames.)
06-22-2016 11:00 AM
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
The significance of the AAU should not be under rated.
As of 2004, AAU members accounted for 58% of U.S. universities' research grants
and contract income and 52% of all doctorates awarded in the United States.
Since 1999, 43% of all Nobel Prize winners and 74% of winners at U.S. institutions
have been affiliated with an AAU university. Approximately two thirds of the
American Academy of Arts and Sciences 2006 Class of Fellows are affiliated with
an AAU university. The faculties at AAU universities include 2,993 members of
the United States National Academies (82% of all members): the National Academy
of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associatio...iversities

There are a number of ranking organizations other than the AAU, including:
http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2014.html
Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) Shanghai

http://www.leidenranking.com/rankingCWTS Leiden Ranking Netherlands

http://cwur.org/2014/Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) Saudi Arabia

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/listForbes United States

http://www.topuniversities.com/universit...se+search=
QS World University Rankings United Kingdom

http://webometrics.info/enRanking Web of Universities Spain

http://mup.asu.edu/2013-Report.htmlTop American Research Universities (TARU) United States

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/wo...th-america
The Times Higher Education United Kingdom

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreview...uston-3652
U.S. News - National Universities Rankings United States

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-glo...s/rankings
U.S. News - Best Global Universities Rankings United States

http://mic.com/articles/60823/12-top-col...their-buck
Policy.mic - Best Bang For Their Buck United States

Good rankings by some of these, like the Times of London, Leiden in the Netherlands,
and Academic Ranking of World Universities in Shanghai can provide international standing.

There is also value in being in the highest research category RU/VH by Carnegie.
06-22-2016 11:28 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

(06-22-2016 10:01 AM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  "USF will not be an AAU school in our life time".

One flaw of that study and your post is that it ignores the AAU's practice of normalizing results when comparing large, small, public, and private institution' research funding. Yes, Houston has more total research than Brandeis but check the number of faculty vs Houston. Research $ per faculty member dwarfs Houston.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011...aska_leave

This article talks about the removal of Nebraska, the culture of the AAU and the positives and negatives associated with it.

“We all ought to recognize that the more great research universities there are in the U.S., the better off we are as a country,” he said. “It might not be that all of them are members of the AAU.... That doesn’t diminish the good work that they carry on.”
06-22-2016 11:47 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-22-2016 09:54 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(06-22-2016 09:36 AM)MechaKnight Wrote:  Here's the criteria set by UF/FSU ALUMNI. Pre-eminient = 11/12, emerging pre-eminent = 6/12.

FIFY

UF and FSU Alumni set up the criteria a few years ago knowing that ONLY their 2 schools would be eligible for the extra $15 Million payment per year.

UF and FSU are still ticked off that Gov Bush broke up their cartel some 15-16 years that allowed the freedom and control to go back to all FLA Univ...vs the UF/FSU dominated Board of Gov.

Agree. And I wouldn't be surprised if they changed then now that USF will meet them in a couple of years.
06-22-2016 12:29 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
(06-22-2016 11:47 AM)FrancisDrake Wrote:  

One flaw of that study and your post is that it ignores the AAU's practice of normalizing results when comparing large, small, public, and private institution' research funding. Yes, Houston has more total research than Brandeis but check the number of faculty vs Houston. Research $ per faculty member dwarfs Houston.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011...aska_leave

This article talks about the removal of Nebraska, the culture of the AAU and the positives and negatives associated with it.

“We all ought to recognize that the more great research universities there are in the U.S., the better off we are as a country,” he said. “It might not be that all of them are members of the AAU.... That doesn’t diminish the good work that they carry on.”
This is very true. They tend to compare like to like. They will compare a large public school to large public AAU schools, small private to small private, etc.

This might be slightly biased but I expect Virginia Tech to be accepted within the next 5-10 years.
06-22-2016 01:00 PM
Advertisement

Enriquillo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UASD & Temple
(06-22-2016 09:18 AM)Sellular1 Wrote:  

I agree with your post. Invitations are very rare and any potential new member must be approved by 3/4 of the current AAU membership. It's a good ole boy system and it seems very unlikely they would support a school as "new" as USF. Hopefully things change.

Stony Brook - established the same year as USF - is an AAU member.

So it was Jeb who broke up the UF clique? What a 'low energy' move! (But, then, Jeb was never FBK, unlike the "preeminent" Pam Bondi.) You Bulls and Knights gots to learn you place!!!
06-22-2016 01:17 PM
Sellular1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
(06-22-2016 01:17 PM)Enriquillo Wrote:  
(06-22-2016 09:18 AM)Sellular1 Wrote:  

Stony Brook - established the same year as USF - is an AAU member.

So it was Jeb who broke up the UF clique? What a 'low energy' move! (But, then, Jeb was never FBK, unlike the "preeminent" Pam Bondi.) You Bulls and Knights gots to learn you place!!!

You are correct about Stoney Brook. USF endowment is more than 2X of theirs however.
06-22-2016 02:05 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

"The metrics of UC, UCF, USF, UH are rapidly approaching the metrics of a number of AAU members. The AAU will have to remove members, grow in number, or look totally biased."
1. I disagree with every single point, idea and premise made in your post here^
2. That's not how the AAU works. That's not how any of this works.
3. If you are making a DavidSt joke here, then I apologize for not getting it.

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2016 08:12 PM by billybobby777.)
06-22-2016 08:10 PM
Wavetime Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
(06-22-2016 08:05 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Pour state has created tiers in how they view and fund universities. Right now only Florida and Florida State are recognized as " Pre-eminent" universities, tier 1. They get about 15 million more a year for academics. USF could be awarded " emerging preeminent" status on Thursday and receive 5 million more a year. President Genshaft's push for AAU status continues to pay up for our school.

You can read more details on this link
USF move towards Tier 1 school in Florida

That is AWESOME!!!! I know this is an athletics site, but academics is so much more important. Not half as much fun, but the most important topic as we all know. I sure hope your university gets the money they deserve. Keep pushing for the AAU status. AAU is the major leagues when it comes to research dollars and academic prestige.....Great News and Good Luck!!!!!
06-22-2016 09:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.