Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Estimated ACCN revenue
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Estimated ACCN revenue
Clay Travis has posted his estimated ACCN payout calculations on Outkick the Coverage [LINK]. Bottom line, he estimates between $6 million and $8 million per year per team. Of course, he is leaning towards the low end.

TBH, I don't think his calculations are unreasonable. He may have overestimated the cost, but I really can't be sure.

What do you all think? Seen any other realistic-looking estimates?
07-20-2016 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
RE: Estimated ACCN revenue
Clay Travis is a skunk of the first order. All the soap in the world wouldn't scrub the scum off of that lowlife.

(07-20-2016 10:32 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Clay Travis has posted his estimated ACCN payout calculations on Outkick the Coverage [LINK]. Bottom line, he estimates between $6 million and $8 million per year per team. Of course, he is leaning towards the low end.

TBH, I don't think his calculations are unreasonable. He may have overestimated the cost, but I really can't be sure.

07-20-2016 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(07-20-2016 10:32 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Clay Travis estimates between $6 million and $8 million per year per team.

A quarter share for Notre Dame -- that's the Irish's take of other conference revenue
-- david teel

GO SIT IN THE CORNER
07-20-2016 12:34 PM
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Would $8 million per year be considered good for you guys? With all of the total revenues, what would that put us at per year approximately?
07-20-2016 12:47 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2016 12:47 PM)uofl05 Wrote:  Would $8 million per year be considered good for you guys? With all of the total revenues, what would that put us at per year approximately?

$8M x 10 yrs = NOTHING TO SNEEZE AT
07-20-2016 12:50 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2016 12:47 PM)uofl05 Wrote:  Would $8 million per year be considered good for you guys? With all of the total revenues, what would that put us at per year approximately?

By 2019, back of the envelope estimate... about $39 million per team, give or take.
07-20-2016 12:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(07-20-2016 12:34 PM)green Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 10:32 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Clay Travis estimates between $6 million and $8 million per year per team.

A quarter share for Notre Dame -- that's the Irish's take of other conference revenue
-- david teel

GO SIT IN THE CORNER

Works for me. ND isn't so much interested in the ACC Network cash as as it having a stable place to park its other sports while keeping football independent.

$4.5 million a year difference (using the more realistic $6 million here) in ACC Network revenues is not a big deal for ND. I doubt Jack Swarbrick batted an eye at that number.

Independence is certainly worth far more than that to ND. Hell, the amount of donations withheld by boosters and alumni if ND football joined would probably be higher than that alone.

It was locking down the ACC from any Big Ten/SEC raids so that ND football can stay indy that was ND's prime motivation regarding the ACC Network.

A PLAN COMES TOGETHER
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 01:07 PM by TerryD.)
07-20-2016 12:58 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2016 12:58 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Works for me. ND isn't so much interested in the ACC Network cash as as it having a stable place to park its other sports while keeping football independent.

$4.5 million a year difference in ACC Network revenues is not a big deal for ND. I doubt Jack Swarbrick batted an eye at that number.

comes to $45M/10yrs ...

DON'T TRIFLE WITH MY AFFECTIONS
07-20-2016 01:12 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
By
(07-20-2016 01:12 PM)green Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 12:58 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Works for me. ND isn't so much interested in the ACC Network cash as as it having a stable place to park its other sports while keeping football independent.

$4.5 million a year difference in ACC Network revenues is not a big deal for ND. I doubt Jack Swarbrick batted an eye at that number.

comes to $45M/10yrs ...

Green are we going to see you soon on billboards peddling legal services around Florida?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 01:18 PM by TexanMark.)
07-20-2016 01:16 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2016 01:16 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

comes to $45M/10yrs ...

Green are we going to see you soon on billboards peddling legal services around Florida?

exposure ...
other part of the equation ...
during football season ...
expect similar nonchalance ...

FIRST PEOPLES
07-20-2016 01:29 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
The SEC Network projected $5 million per year per team for their first year. They actually came in a little higher than that their first year. So if the estimates are $6 to $8 million per year for the ACCN, thats pretty dogon good as far as I;m concerned.
07-20-2016 01:29 PM
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
I'm not going to trust any estimates from the ACC or ESPN, much less highly speculative estimates like this. It's not that I think they'll be trying to fool us. It's that everything is dependent upon unpredictable trends like cord cutting. The good thing is that other conferences will also be affected by the same trends.

I'd suggest that everyone pay less attention to TV revenues and more to contribution revenues. Duke recently announced that it's received $250 million in athletic contributions in the last four years. That's way over half its athletic budget. TV revenues are maybe a quarter. Which one do you think the Duke AD thinks about more? The contribution income varies from school to school but it's a big deal everywhere.
07-20-2016 01:35 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

comes to $45M/10yrs ...

I know how to multiply numbers by 10......

ND gets more than twice that amount with its Under Armour deal alone.

ND has lots of sources of funding for athletics. TV money is not the most important one by far, especially some extra share of a conference network.

I am happy for Miami and the other ACC schools over any network revenues. They are just not as important as independence is to ND.

You just don't get that. I get that you don't get that. I get that.

LOOKING AT THE BIGGER PICTURE
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 02:07 PM by TerryD.)
07-20-2016 02:00 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2016 01:29 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  The SEC Network projected $5 million per year per team for their first year. They actually came in a little higher than that their first year. So if the estimates are $6 to $8 million per year for the ACCN, thats pretty dogon good as far as I;m concerned.

In the first year the SEC was paying for some one-time costs. That will happen for ACC teams also, I'm guessing. Still, they bring in something like $8 to $10 million gross (per team), IIRC. So the ACC would be maybe $2 million behind that?

As for Notre Dame, the question is: if/when ACC teams are making $30 million/year from TV revenue and ND is only making $20 million, will that $10M matter to UND decision makers?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 02:10 PM by Hokie Mark.)
07-20-2016 02:09 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2016 02:09 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 01:29 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  The SEC Network projected $5 million per year per team for their first year. They actually came in a little higher than that their first year. So if the estimates are $6 to $8 million per year for the ACCN, thats pretty dogon good as far as I;m concerned.

In the first year the SEC was paying for some one-time costs. That will happen for ACC teams also, I'm guessing. Still, they bring in something like $8 to $10 million gross (per team), IIRC. So the ACC would be maybe $2 million behind that?

As for Notre Dame, the question is: if/when ACC teams are making $30 million/year from TV revenue and ND is only making $20 million, will that $10M matter to UND decision makers?

I know that I sound like a broken record but I really don't think so.

Besides, ND gets about $22-23 million/yr. from NBC and what, $3-5 million or so from ESPN? So, that is about $25-28 million a year.

Remember, ND could have easily joined the Big Ten instead of the ACC if it wanted to sacrifice football independence.

It did not, knowing that it was leaving millions of dollars of potential TV money on the table.

Why did they do that? Who would give up millions in TV money just to stay indy?

ND did, knowingly. Remember that when having these discussions.

The main reason that ND chose the ACC over the Big Ten is that football could stay indy.

Even so, just this past week, it could have been the easiest thing to slide ND into the football conference as part of the ACC Network deal. ND could have easily sold it to its fanbase by saying it was necessary to save the ACC home for its other sports and for additional revenues.

It did not, did it? Why not? It would have been the perfect opportunity to enact that "secret agreement/plan" for full membership while pulling it over on the unwashed fans. (Lol at that "urban legend").

Nothing like that happened. Quite the opposite, in fact. The ACC agreed contractually that ND football is not required to join the conference for the next twenty years.

Why didn't ND's leadership take the "easy way out" for full membership and the extra cash and easier playoff chances?

Jack Swarbrick is a pretty smart guy. I bet he can multiply a number by 10. Why didn't he pull the trigger? You have to think that the ACC and ESPN put the carrot and stick to ND to get them to do just that.

ND again said "No sale". Why would it do that?
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2016 02:47 PM by TerryD.)
07-20-2016 02:24 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2016 02:24 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Remember, ND could have easily joined the Big Ten instead of the ACC if it wanted to sacrifice football independence.

It did not, knowing that it was leaving millions of dollars of potential TV money on the table.

like you're doing us a favor ...
far be it for me to extoll the virtues ...

GIVE TO EVERYONE WHAT YOU OWE
07-20-2016 02:51 PM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(07-20-2016 10:32 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Clay Travis has posted his estimated ACCN payout calculations on Outkick the Coverage [LINK]. Bottom line, he estimates between $6 million and $8 million per year per team. Of course, he is leaning towards the low end.

Clay "Mr SEC" Travis?
07-20-2016 02:56 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(07-20-2016 02:24 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(07-20-2016 02:09 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I know that I sound like a broken record but I really don't think so.

Besides, ND gets about $22-23 million/yr. from NBC and what, $3-5 million or so from ESPN? So, that is about $25-28 million a year.

Remember, ND could have easily joined the Big Ten instead of the ACC if it wanted to sacrifice football independence.

Why did they do that? Who would give up millions in TV money just to stay indy?

ND did, knowingly. Remember that when having these discussions.

The main reason that ND chose the ACC over the Big Ten is that football could stay indy.

Even so, just this past week, it could have been the easiest thing to slide ND into the football conference as part of the ACC Network deal. ND could have easily sold it to its fanbase by saying it was necessary to save the ACC home for its other sports and for additional revenues.

It did not, did it? Why not? It would have been the perfect opportunity to enact that "secret agreement/plan" for full membership while pulling it over on the unwashed fans. (Lol at that "urban legend").

Nothing like that happened. Quite the opposite, in fact. The ACC agreed contractually that ND football is not required to join the conference for the next twenty years.

Why didn't ND's leadership take the "easy way out" for full membership and the extra cash and easier playoff chances?

Jack Swarbrick is a pretty smart guy. I bet he can multiply a number by 10. Why didn't he pull the trigger? You have to think that the ACC and ESPN put the carrot and stick to ND to get them to do just that.

ND again said "No sale". Why would it do that?

People put so much emphasis on TV revenues. Notre Dame gets far more contribution income than TV income. The Notre Dame fanbase really, really likes the uniqueness of their football independence. Notre Dame won't endanger its contribution income in order to get a few million more a year in TV revenues.

Why is Notre Dame's athletic department so well funded? It's not their TV revenue. That's middling. It's their contribution income which is outstanding. They're not going to give up football independence unless they're backed into a corner because doing so would endanger what really makes them strong, their contribution income.
07-20-2016 02:57 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-20-2016 02:57 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  The Notre Dame fanbase really, really likes the uniqueness of their football independence.

they're semi-independent ...
piggybacking off the conference for games and bowls ...

SEMANTICS
07-20-2016 03:02 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
Here is David Teel's article piggy-backing off Clay Travis:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-bl...-post.html

Matching the SEC and Big Ten's estimated per-school network shares of $7.5 million-$10 million annually is a pipe dream given the ACC's smaller fan base, so let's set a modest base of $5 million.

Multiply the $5 million by 14 fulltime members and you get $70 million. A quarter share for Notre Dame -- that's the Irish's take of other conference revenue -- bumps the total to $71.25 million.

But the ACC doesn't distribute 100 percent of revenue to its schools. The most recent rate was 92.5 percent. So to send $71.25 million to members, the league would need $77.03 million in annual network windfall.

Since ESPN will split profits with the ACC, the network would need to net $154.06 million. Travis estimates annual network expenses at $100 million, bringing the needed revenue to $254.06 million.

Cheers,
Neil
07-20-2016 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.