Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Blaudschun: UConn Source: If No Big 12, UConn Will NOT Maintain Status Quo with AAC
BE4evah Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big East
Blaudschun: UConn Source: If No Big 12, UConn Will NOT Maintain Status Quo with AAC
Where is UConn going?

The chatter can be heard from Storrs to Simsbury, from New Haven to New London. When all of the stories about Big 12 expansion play out, which conference will the University of Connecticut Huskies be able to call their own?

It’ still too early in the game to make a final call.

But TMGcollegesports.com knows where the Huskies WILL NOT be playing.

-----------

This is the hydrogen bomb out of UConn. Mark Blaudschun is the go to reporter for UConn.

I think this imperils the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2016 01:49 PM by BE4evah.)
08-16-2016 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
RE: Blaudschun: UConn Source: If No Big 12, UConn Will NOT Maintain Status Quo with AAC
(08-16-2016 01:46 PM)BE4evah Wrote:  Where is UConn going?

The chatter can be heard from Storrs to Simsbury, from New Haven to New London. When all of the stories about Big 12 expansion play out, which conference will the University of Connecticut Huskies be able to call their own?

It’ still too early in the game to make a final call.

But TMGcollegesports.com knows where the Huskies WILL NOT be playing.

-----------

This is the hydrogen bomb out of UConn. Mark Blaudschun is the go to reporter for UConn.

I think this imperils the AAC.

Good luck with Indy, if that's what this means. 07-coffee3
08-16-2016 01:51 PM
ColKurtz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Virginia Tech
RE: Blaudschun: UConn Source: If No Big 12, UConn Will NOT Maintain Status Quo with AAC
Useless link, paywall.
08-16-2016 01:54 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
What? Are they going to be drastic and drop football and join the BE. I'm guessing the BE won't take them if they keep football(AAC, MAC, Indy) for fear of an eventual invite to B1G, ACC, B12.
08-16-2016 01:54 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
The AAC has shown itself to be the launching pad to being p5..

If UConn wants to give up their spot, that's definitely a decision that'll change the course of their history.
08-16-2016 01:58 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Blauschun has been writing a ton of stuff on the AAC fall out from realignment. Anyone who can has access to the stories want to share the gist of it? Interesting that he decided to go behind a pay wall. That's a very recent development (I know I was still able to read his stuff just couple of weeks at the most).
08-16-2016 01:58 PM
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
I doubt all this, but IF it is true... UMASS suddenly loses a lot of leverage for the AAC.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
08-16-2016 01:59 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(08-16-2016 01:59 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  I doubt all this, but IF it is true... UMASS suddenly loses a lot of leverage for the AAC.

UConn going to follow UMass. Join the Big East and go Indy for football? It would be tempting as the Big East make twice the amount of the AAC.

Perhaps a BE expansion with UMass and UConn? UConn going to the A-10 would help the A10 but it is already overloaded with 14 teams.
08-16-2016 02:08 PM
Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
(08-16-2016 02:08 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(08-16-2016 01:59 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  I doubt all this, but IF it is true... UMASS suddenly loses a lot of leverage for the AAC.

UConn going to follow UMass. Join the Big East and go Indy for football? It would be tempting as the Big East make twice the amount of the AAC.

Perhaps a BE expansion with UMass and UConn? UConn going to the A-10 would help the A10 but it is already overloaded with 14 teams.
But do they really wanna throw away that access bowl spot?

08-16-2016 02:09 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
When Utah and TCU left the MWC for (at the time) BCS conferences, BYU refused to stand pat.

Will history repeat itself? More importantly: would the Bug East accept UConn, and if not would UConn go A10??
08-16-2016 02:09 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(08-16-2016 02:09 PM)Stay Cool Wrote:  
(08-16-2016 02:08 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

But do they really wanna throw away that access bowl spot?

Well $4 million > $1.8 million. What Access Bowl spot? They'll be like BYU chances.
08-16-2016 02:17 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(08-16-2016 02:09 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  When Utah and TCU left the MWC for (at the time) BCS conferences, BYU refused to stand pat.

Will history repeat itself? More importantly: would the Bug East accept UConn, and if not would UConn go A10??

I don't think it would occur because UConn football has a whole lot less leverage than BYU football did when it declared independence.

At the same time, a move to the A-10 would be pointless since they make peanuts even compared to the AAC. The Big East is theoretically possible in the sense that they actually make more TV money than the AAC despite not even having football. Still, I don't think UConn can bite that bullet and I'm not sure that the Big East wants to deal with a school that still has FBS football (which inherently means that they'll always be looking to move to a P5 conference and is the environment that the Big East Catholic schools wanted to get away from in the first place or else they would have stayed tied to the now-AAC schools).
08-16-2016 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Well that's a bit of an over reaction until they see which schools the Big 12 adds.

What if the Big 12 adds BYU and Houston and stops there? Is that really a good reason to now leave the AAC? Houston gets replaced in the AAC with say, Old Dominion, then AAC still has to be better than a
Independence plus the A-10
08-16-2016 02:21 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Dumb move by UConn, if true. Are they going to go Indy in football? MAC? Staying the course in AAC until there are further shakeups is their best course of action.
08-16-2016 02:24 PM
Sellular1 Offline
1st String

UConn chumps blowing hot wind in an attempt to improve their B12 chances. Sore ass losers.
08-16-2016 02:24 PM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
(08-16-2016 02:09 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  When Utah and TCU left the MWC for (at the time) BCS conferences, BYU refused to stand pat.

Utah had been invited to join the Pac-12. TCU was still a member of the MWC and had yet to be invited by the Big East or the Big 12 when BYU left to become independent.
08-16-2016 02:32 PM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
The Big East has a 12 year, $500 million deal with Fox. That's $4.17 million per year per school. Fox has already agreed to increase the contract pro rata for up to two more schools. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...t-MWC.aspx

The American is getting $126 million for 6 years from ESPN. That's $1.86 million per year per school (excluding Navy, which has its own deal with CBS).

As an independent, UConn could sell its TV rights separately. If it were able to schedule a reasonable number of quality games, it may be able to get upwards of $1 million per season. BYU gets around $6 million per year.

American members also get an average of around $1.5 million per school from the CFP. Independents, aside from Notre Dame, received $300,000+ per school from the CFP.

The American currently receives a higher payment from the NCAA Tournament fund, but that is based largely on residual payments from former Big East members like Syracuse and Louisville. Going forward past 2018, the Big East figure to make more than the AAC based on recent tournament performance. UConn has been the biggest contributor to the AAC's NCAA Tournament Credits its split with the Big East.

Bottom line, UConn would make more combined from TV, CFP/bowl and NCAA tournament revenue streams as a member of the Big East than as a member of the AAC. More importantly, its basketball teams would be in a power conference that includes a number of historic rivals. My guess, though, is that it would be able to negotiate an associate membership in the AAC for football, likely at a reduced payout of TV and CFP money.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2016 02:44 PM by orangefan.)
08-16-2016 02:43 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2016 02:43 PM)orangefan Wrote:  The Big East has a 12 year, $500 million deal with Fox. That's $4.17 million per year per school. Fox has already agreed to increase the contract pro rata for up to two more schools. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...t-MWC.aspx

The American is getting $126 million for 6 years from ESPN. That's $1.86 million per year per school (excluding Navy, which has its own deal with CBS).

As an independent, UConn could sell its TV rights separately. If it were able to schedule a reasonable number of quality games, it may be able to get upwards of $1 million per season. BYU gets around $6 million per year.

American members also get an average of around $1.5 million per school from the CFP. Independents, aside from Notre Dame, received $300,000+ per school from the CFP.

The American currently receives a higher payment from the NCAA Tournament fund, but that is based largely on residual payments from former Big East members like Syracuse and Louisville. Going forward past 2018, the Big East figure to make more than the AAC based on recent tournament performance. UConn has been the biggest contributor to the AAC's NCAA Tournament Credits its split with the Big East.

Bottom line, UConn would make more combined from TV, CFP/bowl and NCAA tournament revenue streams as a member of the Big East than as a member of the AAC. More importantly, its basketball teams would be in a power conference that includes a number of historic rivals. My guess, though, is that it would be able to negotiate an associate membership in the AAC for football, likely at a reduced payout of TV and CFP money.

Doubtful. What would be in that for AAC? It's not like UConn's football program is a super power. Their football can be easily replaced. It's their basketball that would be missed. They would need to go independent or place football program in MAC, Sun Belt, or CUSA.
08-16-2016 02:47 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-16-2016 02:43 PM)orangefan Wrote:  The Big East has a 12 year, $500 million deal with Fox. That's $4.17 million per year per school. Fox has already agreed to increase the contract pro rata for up to two more schools. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...t-MWC.aspx

You also have to factor in that if the AAC loses 2-3 members (ie. UConn, Cincinnati and Houston), its payday will be reduced. Also, there is a potential that adding UConn to the Big East would result in a pay bump to that conference's payout.

I have to question though whether the Big East would be interested in UConn. All the schools in the conference are of like-mind. I think the schools in the conference have a sour taste in their mouth for football. They have to be concerned that one day the Big 10 or the ACC could come calling for UConn for all sports and that might be an instability factor they don't wan to deal with.
08-16-2016 02:48 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
First their president, now this. It reads like someone that's been told they're out.
08-16-2016 02:51 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.