http://sports.yahoo.com/news/liberty-get...ncaaf.html
10-03-2016 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
RE: How cute, yet delusional as well...
Sounds like they are gunning for the sunbelt. I think the American was mentioned because of the domino effect. The c-usa has been pushed down below the sunbelt. They invited too many FCS teams and "hoped" they would improve.
10-03-2016 07:47 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
Not how I read it. I don't think the author was necessarily implying that Liberty would jump to the AAC. He was just saying if the Big 12 expands, the AAC and/or CUSA might be looking for "a team or two," which could create a domino effect that might open a spot in the Sun Belt, for example, although he didn't specifically spell that out. But he left it open enough that I suppose you could translate it either way. I just doubt that was his intention.
10-03-2016 07:49 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-03-2016 07:47 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Sounds like they are gunning for the sunbelt. I think the American was mentioned because of the domino effect. The c-usa has been pushed down below the sunbelt. They invited too many FCS teams and "hoped" they would improve.

Great minds. You beat me to that thought by a couple of minutes. 04-cheers
10-03-2016 07:50 AM
Advertisement

mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
I can see the AAC taking a few MWC teams, and in return the MWC takes one of UTEP/Rice/UTSA which leaves a spot for Liberty to join CUSA, but I think ODU has proven you can be a top FCS and really struggle to win in at the FBS level.

I am more interested to see if NDSU ends up making the jump. I think the MWC might give them a shot.
10-03-2016 07:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-03-2016 07:52 AM)mtmedlin Wrote:  I can see the AAC taking a few MWC teams, and in return the MWC takes one of UTEP/Rice/UTSA which leaves a spot for Liberty to join CUSA, but I think ODU has proven you can be a top FCS and really struggle to win in at the FBS level.

I am more interested to see if NDSU ends up making the jump. I think the MWC might give them a shot.

I don't see the AAC taking any MWC teams unless there is a big jump in TV rights, but that won't happen for 3 more years.
10-03-2016 08:13 AM
acc4life Offline
Banned

I Root For: Yo Momma
(10-03-2016 07:47 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Sounds like they are gunning for the sunbelt. I think the American was mentioned because of the domino effect. The c-usa has been pushed down below the sunbelt. They invited too many FCS teams and "hoped" they would improve.

That's what killed the Big East; they should have never given a "whenever you're ready" invite to FCS Villanova...
10-03-2016 08:18 AM
Advertisement

acc4life Offline
Banned

They are gunning for the SunBelt, but after getting dissed for Coastal Carolina, they are reaching for any available or imaginary FBS lifeline like the CUSA (feasible) and even the AAC (which is ridiculous). I have read a couple of pro Liberty expansion articles and they portray themselves like they are a big time program.
10-03-2016 08:24 AM
mtmedlin Offline
I came, I saw, I wasn't impressed.

I Root For: USF & Naps
(10-03-2016 08:13 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 07:52 AM)mtmedlin Wrote:  I can see the AAC taking a few MWC teams, and in return the MWC takes one of UTEP/Rice/UTSA which leaves a spot for Liberty to join CUSA, but I think ODU has proven you can be a top FCS and really struggle to win in at the FBS level.

I don't see the AAC taking any MWC teams unless there is a big jump in TV rights, but that won't happen for 3 more years.

We do have three more years, but typically negotiations start the year prior. I also wouldnt doubt that if the Big 12 situation is settled, that Aresco tries to convince them to do a new deal early.
ESPN did that for the MAC in order to keep them under contract with no competition.
Houston has a great chance at repeating as an Access Bowl champion. Next year Houston, USF and I think Memphis will all be top 25 and be fighting for the playoff bowl again. Several teams will be strong. During our tv contract period, (assuming Houston wins again this year) we will have 3 BCS/Access bowl wins... and next year well have at least 3 strong teams vying for it again. If we can end up winning 4-5 bowls, well have solidified ourselves as the top G5 without question which will bring money.
A little time will only play in our favor. Here shortly the only G5s in the top 25 poll will be Houston, Boise and then it looks like SDSU and USF will be added. We all know who the top conferences are but the MWC consistantly has the same top teams... the AAC seems to rotate and be stronger overall. In the end, if ESPN wants to form a P6 or a P5 with an "aspiring P6" they will move BYU, Boise and 2 others over to form that conference. My guess would be Air Force and CSU.
10-03-2016 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(10-03-2016 08:28 AM)mtmedlin Wrote:  

We do have three more years, but typically negotiations start the year prior. I also wouldnt doubt that if the Big 12 situation is settled, that Aresco tries to convince them to do a new deal early.
ESPN did that for the MAC in order to keep them under contract with no competition.
Houston has a great chance at repeating as an Access Bowl champion. Next year Houston, USF and I think Memphis will all be top 25 and be fighting for the playoff bowl again. Several teams will be strong. During our tv contract period, (assuming Houston wins again this year) we will have 3 BCS/Access bowl wins... and next year well have at least 3 strong teams vying for it again. If we can end up winning 4-5 bowls, well have solidified ourselves as the top G5 without question which will bring money.
A little time will only play in our favor. Here shortly the only G5s in the top 25 poll will be Houston, Boise and then it looks like SDSU and USF will be added. We all know who the top conferences are but the MWC consistantly has the same top teams... the AAC seems to rotate and be stronger overall. In the end, if ESPN wants to form a P6 or a P5 with an "aspiring P6" they will move BYU, Boise and 2 others over to form that conference. My guess would be Air Force and CSU.

I just don't see any early help from ESPN. And I think the AAC is still losing at least 2, if not 4 teams.
10-03-2016 08:42 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(10-03-2016 07:50 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

Yup...Liberty knows the pecking order. I don't see the c-usa adding unless they end up with an uneven number of teams. Sunbelt might add just to gain more stability.
10-03-2016 08:43 AM
acc4life Offline
Banned

(10-03-2016 08:28 AM)mtmedlin Wrote:  

Competition? Yeah, they gave them 8 times the previous contract, but the previous one only paid out 105,000 per team, which is pathetic; if there really was competition for this contract, they would have gotten a much better deal. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/co...story.html
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 04:01 AM by acc4life.)
10-03-2016 08:51 AM
acc4life Offline
Banned

(10-03-2016 08:43 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 07:50 AM)TripleA Wrote:  

Yup...Liberty knows the pecking order. I don't see the c-usa adding unless they end up with an uneven number of teams. Sunbelt might add just to gain more stability.

Pecking order? Didn't CUSA bring up FCS teams; didn't the Big East do the same with Connecticut and try to do the same with FCS Villanova (this is what really killed the Big East)? The truth of the matter is that the SunBelt chose Coastal Carolina over Liberty, so now they are reaching out to the whomever, no matter how farfetched (AAC) or feasible (CUSA) the notion.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016 04:02 AM by acc4life.)
10-03-2016 08:56 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU

It looks like the CUSA FCS schools did pretty well yesterday. Improving faster than anyone realistically expected.
11-06-2016 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.