Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UH, Penders talk extension
Bookmark and Share
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

Quote:ST. LOUIS - Houston athletic director Dave Maggard has begun negotiations to extend the contract of basketball coach Tom Penders.

Last March, Penders, 59, signed a five-year contract to coach the Cougars. The new deal would tack on an additional year to the four Penders has remaining on his original contract, with the salary restructured over the course of the new deal.

"Nothing's been signed," Maggard said Thursday. "We've had initial conversations, but that's it. All we're doing is simply discussing it. We have no real timetable on when something has to be done."

Penders is in St. Louis, taking in the Final Four and attending the annual NABC coaching convention.

"I was happily surprised when Dave brought it up," Penders said. "This is the first time in my 31 years of coaching that an (athletic director) came up and said he wanted to give me an extension. There's no hurry on it. We had lunch last week and he mentioned that he'd like to work out (an extension). His word is as good as gold, so we'll work it out."

The impetus for the new deal was the Cougars' success on the court. A team that had won only 17 games combined the previous two seasons went 18-14 and was on the NCAA Tournament bubble in the final days of the regular season.

The Cougars wound up receiving a bid to the National Invitation Tournament, where the Cougars lost to Wichita State 85-69 in the first round. Still, Maggard was impressed enough to make good on a promise he made Penders.

"I told Tom when he was hired that if he had a good year, we would do an extension," Maggard said. "I told Tom that we'd give him back that first year, and that's what we're trying to do. It's our intention to add that one more year."

Penders, who is 545-375 in 31 years, coached at Tufts, Columbia, Fordham, Rhode Island and Texas before succeeding Ray McCallum at Houston. Penders is the seventh coach in UH history, and the fifth since Guy V. Lewis retired in 1986.

Lewis was succeeded by Pat Foster, who went 142-73 in seven seasons with the Cougars. After Foster, Alvin Brooks, Clyde Drexler and McCallum came in quick succession, with the three combining to go 117-195. The Cougars have not been to the NCAA Tournament since 1992. They have not won an NCAA Tournament game since 1984, when they beat Virginia in the national semifinals.

"I'm real happy with the University of Houston," Penders said. "I share (Maggard's) commitment to the program. We've made giant steps this year. I'm more encouraged than ever about the potential here and the direction the program is heading. There are a lot of things here to be encouraged about."
04-01-2005 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

Looks like it is a done deal

Quote:
Penders signs new five-year deal

April 21, 2005
HOUSTON (AP) -- Tom Penders has signed a new five-year contract that will keep him as Houston's basketball coach through 2010, school officials said Thursday.

Penders will receive $350,000 per season plus incentives, Houston sports information director Rick Poulter said. It is $50,000 more per year than the original five-year deal Penders signed when he arrived at Houston last season.

Houston went 18-12 in its first season under Penders, who was hired in hopes of restoring the once powerful basketball program. The 18 victories were more than Houston had in its previous two seasons combined.

Penders also coached at Tufts, Columbia, Fordham, Rhode Island and Texas.
So we get another year out of Penders and he get a $50,000 a year raise. Sounds like a good deal all around.

Congrats Penders!!! You really deserve it!!!
04-22-2005 11:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.