Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

***Southern Miss vs. ODU***
Bookmark and Share
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
...just gonna start this one now...

if we don't stack it out of the gate and maintain contain, run blitz occasionally, with single coverage outside, Lawry is gonna eat our lunch....our only shot is to force washington to throw it quickly....

I say ODU opens at -3.5 and moves to 6.5/7ish.....

I'm betting on ODU w/o even thinking about it....
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 08:44 PM by stinkfist.)
11-05-2016 08:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: ***Southern Miss vs. ODU***
Looking for a tough game. I'm hoping ODU doesn't lose focus after last night's big win.
11-06-2016 11:51 AM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
FWIW, my analysis from the ODU board. You USM guys may have a more accurate insight than I do.

USM on Offense - Spread
QB Nick Mullens is a 61% passer who has thrown for almost 2600 yards@ 8.3yds/per. He has 19 TDs but has a whopping 10 INTs. He does not run at all. Between he and backup Parker Anderson, USM rolled up 404 yards passing against Charlotte.
Someone posted that he was hurt and might not play. I cannot confirm that.
Primary RB is 5'9" 195 lb Ito Smith who averages 5.8 yard/carry. Certainly better than what we saw at Marshall but not any better than, or maybe even as good as, UTEP and Aaron Jones.
USM passes much better than it rushes
We match up well, as our defensive weakness, our rushing D, goes against just an average or less rushing offense.

USM on defense - 4-3
USM is less than stellar. Recently their rushing defense has been worse than swiss cheese.
Our tandem of Lawry and Cox could have career days.
While at first glance it might appear that the USM pass defense is a bit more respectable, much of that is because lately teams have had such success running on them that there has been little need to pass.
We should be able to pass on them about like we did on Marshall.

All in all, USM has not improved over the course of the season, indeed they seem to have deteriorated somewhat.

The ESPN predictor now has us at 58.4% to win.

We will win this, and if we are "on", at home, we might win big.
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2016 01:24 PM by ODUalum78.)
11-06-2016 12:31 PM
TheChosenOne Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Home Team
Southern Miss has regressed as the season gets deeper. I do not foresee OD having any issue beating our arse rather handily. This team has checked out. They no longer believe in the hype; hype being coaching staff
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2016 01:11 PM by TheChosenOne.)
11-06-2016 01:10 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I tend to agree with 78 that we match up well against USM. They've been prone to giving up big yardage on the ground and turnovers. We've got a pretty good pass rush that should be able to disrupt Mullens.
11-06-2016 02:34 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
ODU 45 USM 27
11-06-2016 04:37 PM
Advertisement

mlytc Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Mullens was out on his feet yesterday, I see no way that he will play Saturday. It's scary that, even after getting a delay of game because he was so out of it, the coaching staff was sending in signals when everybody in the stadium knew something wasn't right with Nick. The official finally stopped the game and started walking him to the sidelines before our "crack staff" decided to check on him. And whoever allowed him to go back into the game should be unemployed immediately.
11-06-2016 04:59 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Just like Marshall, I refuse to believe we're that much better than USM until we prove it on the field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
11-06-2016 05:41 PM
TheChosenOne Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Home Team
Have you watched any of our games? We've more than proven how terrible we are on the field.
11-06-2016 05:56 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Unless Ellis Johnson is roaming your sidelines, I'm not going to count this as a win.

However, I will say, if Mullens can't play, I'll feel much better about our chances.

11-06-2016 06:11 PM
mlytc Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-06-2016 06:11 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Unless Ellis Johnson is roaming your sidelines, I'm not going to count this as a win.

However, I will say, if Mullens can't play, I'll feel much better about our chances.

We were a better team Saturday with Adamson at QB. He actually goes in a direction other than backwards.
11-06-2016 06:39 PM
Advertisement

ProfessorEagle Offline
Special Teams

(11-06-2016 06:39 PM)mlytc Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 06:11 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Unless Ellis Johnson is roaming your sidelines, I'm not going to count this as a win.

We were a better team Saturday with Adamson at QB. He actually goes in a direction other than backwards.

Parker has some nice positives. He's bigger, faster, and has at least as good of an arm. He just isn't the leader that Nick is and hasn't had many snaps. It will be interesting to see how he responds. He can be the man next season and a good performance would give home the leg up on Keon, who is very good.
11-06-2016 09:29 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

52-6, ODU. IF they sit their starters in the 2nd half.
11-06-2016 09:41 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
(11-06-2016 09:29 PM)ProfessorEagle Wrote:  

Parker has some nice positives. He's bigger, faster, and has at least as good of an arm. He just isn't the leader that Nick is and hasn't had many snaps. It will be interesting to see how he responds. He can be the man next season and a good performance would give home the leg up on Keon, who is very good.

Rumor is Hopson might take the shirt off of Howard. Sure hope not.
11-06-2016 09:53 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(11-06-2016 09:53 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  

Awfully late in the season to pull the kids rs unless there's really no one else.
11-06-2016 09:55 PM
NanoDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: LaTech
(11-06-2016 09:55 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(11-06-2016 09:53 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  

Awfully late in the season to pull the kids rs unless there's really no one else.

USM will still need one more win to be bowl eligible!
11-06-2016 10:30 PM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

ODU wins by at least 3 touchdowns and possibly drops 50 points on us. Book it.
11-07-2016 02:50 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
still no line on the game due to qb uncertainty

regardless, we're going to get smoked....

this team is in complete disarray....
11-07-2016 03:51 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Mullens starts, we lose by 21-28.

Anyone else starts, we lose by 42.
11-07-2016 06:54 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

My writeup for our board. I could see the game going either way. Southern Miss is a very good team, imo.

Southern Miss is a good football team coming in pissed off after their loss to Charlotte. They are not Marshall, who has quit on the season. In every game this year besides LSU, USM has gained more yardage than their opponent.

Comparing offenses, they have a slightly better offense. We are a little better running, they are a lot better passing. On defense, we are a little better than them. We are much better at stopping the rush than they are and our pass defenses are about equal.

They have a great punter and kicker.

The only reason they have lost to UTSA, Charlotte, and Troy is they turned the ball over. -3 in turnovers to Charlotte, -3 to UTSA, -2 to Troy.

Unless both QBs are out, this is going to be tough for ODU. Unless they can win the turnover battle (which is unpredictable), I expect a really close game. Outside of WKY, this team has played really well for the last 1.5 months. I could see the game going either way.
11-07-2016 09:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.