Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Beat Louisiana!
Bookmark and Share
Eagle in the gym Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Beat Louisiana!
Wish us luck Saturday versus the Cajuns and good luck to all conference brothers in their bowls!
12-16-2016 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: Beat Louisiana!
who?
12-16-2016 01:50 PM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2016 01:50 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  who?

That's what I was going to say. Beat LA-La!
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 02:05 PM by Luckyshot.)
12-16-2016 02:04 PM
zharkins Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LA Tech
Good luck against the Louisiana Louisiana Ragin Cajuns (no that is not a typo, that is their requested name and mascot). I feel like this game is going to get ugly with Southern Miss putting a beat down on the Cajuns, who have a hapless offense.
12-16-2016 02:40 PM
topper1296 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
do you mean ULL? 05-stirthepot

Good luck and bring home the W for CUSA.
12-16-2016 03:22 PM
ragin4u Offline
WOKE AF

I Root For: Louisiana & Magat Tears
Funny that the little sisters from laturd show up about our name!
Geez guys just leave it alone. Yall dont care about the name anyway! Remember?
Looking forward to seeing how USM travels. Be safe on the way in.
12-16-2016 03:35 PM
Advertisement

TheChosenOne Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Home Team
The University of Southwest Louisiana Warhawks have no chance 05-stirthepot05-stirthepot05-stirthepot04-rock04-rock04-chairshot
12-16-2016 03:46 PM
MoodyBlueRaider Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
May a Flock of Golden Eagles drop Bird Poop on the heads of the Ragin Cajuns, or at least on those wearing Helmets!!!!!!! Good Luck USM.
12-16-2016 04:21 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2016 03:35 PM)ragin4u Wrote:  Funny that the little sisters from laturd show up about our name!
don't like it? stay off this message board then
12-16-2016 05:03 PM
ragin4u Offline
WOKE AF

(12-16-2016 05:03 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  
(12-16-2016 03:35 PM)ragin4u Wrote:  Funny that the little sisters from laturd show up about our name!

I think its cute that a university in southern Arkansas is always so worried about our name and yet claim not to be.
I get the usm fans making jokes because it means nothing to them. And we will be seeing each other tomorrow. Apparently it means a lot to the @ruston gang.
12-16-2016 05:18 PM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

Most of us will be traveling by automobile, although some are flying in. (sarcasm)

I'm interested to see what type of crowd we will bring also. Most of the fanbase has not been happy with the team this year outside of the first and last game of the season. However, it has been a while since the Golden Eagles have played in New Orleans on a Sat night, so that will bring out a lot of folks that would not have gone to any other city or on any other day.
12-16-2016 05:28 PM
Advertisement

Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2016 05:28 PM)Eagleholic Wrote:  

Most of us will be traveling by automobile, although some are flying in. (sarcasm)

I'm interested to see what type of crowd we will bring also. Most of the fanbase has not been happy with the team this year outside of the first and last game of the season. However, it has been a while since the Golden Eagles have played in New Orleans on a Sat night, so that will bring out a lot of folks that would not have gone to any other city or on any other day.

You'll outnumber LA-LA 3-1.
12-16-2016 05:34 PM
techdawg28 Offline
1st String

Sigh... this again? Alright, let's break it down. 03-banghead

Typically, teams known by only the state name come from a flagship university. For example, "Alabama" plays for the "University of Alabama," which is the flagship school for the UA System. Note that they are not the "University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa."

"But what about UT Austin calling themselves Texas!?!?" They were officially named "University of Texas" for the first 70-80 years of existence, and even today they are still the flagship university of the UT system.

So what about the UL System? Here's an excerpt from official UL System policies and regulations:

Quote:A. As previously stated, there is no main campus for the University of Louisiana
System. Any designation of or reference to a member institution as “flagship,”
“lead,” “main,” or other similar descriptor is prohibited.

So there is no flagship university in the UL System.

What about the name? People call the school in Lafayette UL all the time, right? Well...

Quote:C. The use of the two-letter University of Louisiana abbreviation, “UL,” and/or the
phrase “U of L” are prohibited by the university or any of its affiliated organizations
(alumni associations, development foundations, bookstores, etc.). For academic,
public relations, athletic, as well as other purposes not specified, the use of the
University of Louisiana abbreviation must always include the abbreviation for the
municipal location of the institution. For example, ULR is appropriate for University
of Louisiana at Rayne.

D. All uses of the name “University of Louisiana” must be followed by the word “at”
and the institution’s geographic location. No typographic variations within the name
are permitted.

The official name of the university, as found on both the UL System website and the school's own website is "University of Louisiana at Lafayette." It's previous name was "University of Southwestern Louisiana."

The name "University of Louisiana" was the official name of a school in New Orleans from 1847-1884. That school is today known as Tulane.

Now, why do we care? Why don't we just go with it and let ULL do what it wants?

Southwestern wanted to become UL, but the state prohibited it. The state finally conceded that they could become UL Lafayette if another school would make a similar name change. Northeastern agreed to play along and became ULM.

The movement to re-brand the Cajuns as "Louisiana" is clearly an act of defiance to the state of Louisiana. ULL wants to be UL so bad, but the state won't let them. But although they can't change their academic name, they are popping the state one giant middle finger by calling themselves "Louisiana" even though there is no logical reason to call them that. The claim to the abbreviation "LA" is even more insulting and laughable. Alabama/Arkansas/etc are sometimes called "UA." Texas and Tennessee go by "UT." Logically, a team called "Louisiana" would go by "UL," but since they legally can't do that, they are trying to go with the state abbreviation, which implies they represent the state itself, which is absurd.

There are 9 schools in the UL System, all on an equal footing. Why should one get to call itself Louisiana? ULM, NSU, SLU, hell even Tech have as much claim to the name "Louisiana" as ULL. The thought that ULL is "Louisiana" is ridiculous. This movement comes off as very immature and petty on ULL's part.

Oh, we show up about the name? This wasn't even a big deal to me until ULL fans starting blasting people on Twitter saying "We're Louisiana" and "Respect our branding." That got old real quick.

And before you talk about us "showing up" about your name, maybe you should "show up" on the field. 8 straight Bulldog wins by an average score of 47.25 - 17.5. Hell, Tech has never lost to the "University of Louisiana at Lafayette" considering the last Cajun win came when they were still Southwestern 03-lmfao03-lmfao

#NotMyLouisiana
12-16-2016 07:38 PM
ragin4u Offline
WOKE AF

(12-16-2016 05:34 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  

I would imagine that USM will bring a nice crowd and may outnumber the Cajun faithful. Maybe not by much though. I think yalls season has mirrored ours. A lot of disappointment early and some games we feel we should have won. At least 2 more. Oh well.
The USM strength is pretty much our weakness. Our pass D has improved but we can still be vulnerable. Mullens is good.
I think we will have to turn USM over 3-4 times to win this one.
We are happy to be back and look forward to a great game. Good luck, just not too much! Geaux Cajuns.
12-16-2016 07:44 PM
JBeagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USM
(12-16-2016 07:44 PM)ragin4u Wrote:  

(12-16-2016 05:34 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  

I would imagine that USM will bring a nice crowd and may outnumber the Cajun faithful. Maybe not by much though. I think yalls season has mirrored ours. A lot of disappointment early and some games we feel we should have won. At least 2 more. Oh well.
The USM strength is pretty much our weakness. Our pass D has improved but we can still be vulnerable. Mullens is good.
I think we will have to turn USM over 3-4 times to win this one.
We are happy to be back and look forward to a great game. Good luck, just not too much! Geaux Cajuns.
Good analysis. Expect both schools to have good crowds. Should be 40k+ and a great atmosphere. Hope to meet up with some Ragin Cagin fans there. Agree that turnovers will determine the game. USM wins if it wins the turnover battle. We did that against La Tech and won in a big way. All the year long stats are in our favor, if we don't turn it over we roll. If we do U La La wins. Simple. That said, USM wins the turnover battle and the game. SMTTT
12-16-2016 08:51 PM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Italians
...so much anger and hate over a name.....Oooolala.
12-16-2016 09:26 PM
Advertisement

ragin4u Offline
WOKE AF

So much hate from laturd! Oh well. Its OUR name. Why should they care!?!
I think my Cajuns show up big on D and knock mullens around all game long. He throws picks and we have easy scores for our struggling O.
12-16-2016 09:35 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

(12-16-2016 09:35 PM)ragin4u Wrote:  So much hate from laturd! Oh well. Its OUR name. Why should they care!?!
I think my Cajuns show up big on D and knock mullens around all game long. He throws picks and we have easy scores for our struggling O.

by calling yourself Louisiana, you're trying to give off the appearance that you're a bigger program than you really are
12-16-2016 09:38 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(12-16-2016 07:38 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  

Typically, teams known by only the state name come from a flagship university. For example, "Alabama" plays for the "University of Alabama," which is the flagship school for the UA System. Note that they are not the "University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa."

"But what about UT Austin calling themselves Texas!?!?" They were officially named "University of Texas" for the first 70-80 years of existence, and even today they are still the flagship university of the UT system.

So what about the UL System? Here's an excerpt from official UL System policies and regulations:

Quote:A. As previously stated, there is no main campus for the University of Louisiana

What about the name? People call the school in Lafayette UL all the time, right? Well...

Quote:C. The use of the two-letter University of Louisiana abbreviation, “UL,” and/or the
phrase “U of L” are prohibited by the university or any of its affiliated organizations
public relations, athletic, as well as other purposes not specified, the use of the
University of Louisiana abbreviation must always include the abbreviation for the
municipal location of the institution. For example, ULR is appropriate for University
of Louisiana at Rayne.

D. All uses of the name “University of Louisiana” must be followed by the word “at”
and the institution’s geographic location. No typographic variations within the name
are permitted.

The official name of the university, as found on both the UL System website and the school's own website is "University of Louisiana at Lafayette." It's previous name was "University of Southwestern Louisiana."

The name "University of Louisiana" was the official name of a school in New Orleans from 1847-1884. That school is today known as Tulane.

Southwestern wanted to become UL, but the state prohibited it. The state finally conceded that they could become UL Lafayette if another school would make a similar name change. Northeastern agreed to play along and became ULM.

The movement to re-brand the Cajuns as "Louisiana" is clearly an act of defiance to the state of Louisiana. ULL wants to be UL so bad, but the state won't let them. But although they can't change their academic name, they are popping the state one giant middle finger by calling themselves "Louisiana" even though there is no logical reason to call them that. The claim to the abbreviation "LA" is even more insulting and laughable. Alabama/Arkansas/etc are sometimes called "UA." Texas and Tennessee go by "UT." Logically, a team called "Louisiana" would go by "UL," but since they legally can't do that, they are trying to go with the state abbreviation, which implies they represent the state itself, which is absurd.

There are 9 schools in the UL System, all on an equal footing. Why should one get to call itself Louisiana? ULM, NSU, SLU, hell even Tech have as much claim to the name "Louisiana" as ULL. The thought that ULL is "Louisiana" is ridiculous. This movement comes off as very immature and petty on ULL's part.

Oh, we show up about the name? This wasn't even a big deal to me until ULL fans starting blasting people on Twitter saying "We're Louisiana" and "Respect our branding." That got old real quick.

And before you talk about us "showing up" about your name, maybe you should "show up" on the field. 8 straight Bulldog wins by an average score of 47.25 - 17.5. Hell, Tech has never lost to the "University of Louisiana at Lafayette" considering the last Cajun win came when they were still Southwestern 03-lmfao03-lmfao

#NotMyLouisiana

haha!

personally, I'm not a big fan of la tech. I often find that they are a little too big for their britches, themselves. however, this is a beautiful post. lol. thanks for taking the time to put it up.

if we play as good against them as we did against y'all, we will win by 40 points.
12-16-2016 10:11 PM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
(12-16-2016 10:11 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  
(12-16-2016 07:38 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  

of Louisiana at Rayne.

are permitted.

#NotMyLouisiana

haha!

personally, I'm not a big fan of la tech. I often find that they are a little too big for their britches, themselves. however, this is a beautiful post. lol. thanks for taking the time to put it up.

if we play as good against them as we did against y'all, we will win by 40 points.

We can talk that way about ULL since we own them on the FB field. USM not so much
12-16-2016 10:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.