Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How is this friggin' possible?
Bookmark and Share
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
How is this friggin' possible?
Quote:Looks like Sun Belt will finish 3rd in G5 and pick up an extra 4.7 million (3x last year) due to the 4 bowl wins. 2.33 mill per slot= 7 million for 3rd place.

33% 11.6 AAC
27% 9.3 MWC
20% 7.0 SBC
13% 4.7 MAC
7% 2.3 CUSA
100% 35 Total Performance bribe

Source:
Arkansas Democrat Gazette Sun Belt Article
01-07-2017 04:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
RE: How is this friggin' possible?
Huh?

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.
01-07-2017 04:54 PM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
I think it's a culmination of the entire season, not just the bowls
01-07-2017 04:54 PM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
(01-07-2017 04:54 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  I think it's a culmination of the entire season, not just the bowls

Did we do that poorly in OOC that the bowls couldn't pull us out of last place? I don't believe it.
01-07-2017 04:55 PM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(01-07-2017 04:55 PM)TechRocks Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 04:54 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  I think it's a culmination of the entire season, not just the bowls

Did we do that poorly in OOC that the bowls couldn't pull us out of last place? I don't believe it.

I haven't looked up the numbers or anything, but I remember the posts and general negativity that was going on early in the season about the OOC play here. Just out of speculation, I guess not. This does bring up an interesting question though when it comes to bowl games vs the season. Let's say the bowl games did get CUSA close to a 50/50 OOC win loss ratio (or something better than another G5 conference). Does this just mean that the results of the season count more than the final bowl games? Do the bowl games not have much pull when this stuff gets calculated out at the end of the season? Or is it that the bowl games are ranked as well and so it's possible that a conference can have a bunch of perceived weak bowls overall effecting their year end rank.
01-07-2017 05:16 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Well, if you guys recall, I was doing my conference rating system early this year for the OOC stuff and it clearly showed CUSA as the worst conference. Many thought it was a crap system and made no sense, so I quit putting it up. For the record, that ranking for the entire season matches mine exactly. We would have had to run the table in the bowls and the Belt have a losing record to pass them. The MAC could have finished second with a decent bowl season.
01-07-2017 05:32 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

You guys were a ways back after the regular season. To finish 3rd, you would have needed a 5-6 bowl win season combined with Catastrophic seasons out of the SBC and MAC.

You got the MAC's awful results, but the SBC outperformed you in bowls, making it impossible to pass us. In the end, it wasn't enough to catch the MAC I guess.
01-07-2017 05:56 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State

Your signature GIF is funny.
01-07-2017 06:19 PM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Quote:Don't tell those in the Sun Belt Conference that bowl games outside of the College Football Playoff are meaningless.

The six bowls involving Sun Belt teams and their performance this year potentially means about $4.7 million for the league.

The Sun Belt placed six teams in bowls and won four of them, both highs for the league that was formed in 2001. The performance was enough for the league to expect a jump from fourth place to third place in the year-end rankings of Group of Five conferences, which are calculated to determine distribution of a portion of revenue coming from the College Football Playoff.

Nonconference victories by league member South Alabama over Mississippi State and San Diego State helped, but Arkansas State, Appalachian State, Troy and Idaho winning bowl games has the league expecting a jump when the rankings are finalized after Monday's national championship game.

"A lot of people, including people in the media, have said bowls mean nothing, they're meaningless. That's just not true," ASU Athletic Director Terry Mohajir said. "Now with the CFP financial incentives, your bowl success could have a significant impact on your financial year-end distribution."

Since the CFP was implemented in 2014, the Group of Five conferences -- the American Athletic, Conference USA, Mid-American, the Mountain West and the Sun Belt -- get $85 million annually, providing what Sun Belt Commissioner Karl Benson called the league's largest source of revenue.

Each of the five conferences receives a base of $10 million; the remaining $35 million is divided based on performance. The six computers previously used to compile the BCS rankings are used to make the conference rankings.

Specific formulas for the payout aren't made public, but according to two sources, that money is split into 15 equal shares, with the league that finishes first receiving five shares, second receiving four and so on. If the Sun Belt finishes third, like it expects, three shares would be worth $7 million. The last two years, the Sun Belt finished fifth, which earned it $2.3 million.

The American is expected to finish first, followed by the Mountain West. The MAC was third in the rankings before losing all six of its bowl games, while the Sun Belt was 4-2 -- a performance that expects to provide the jump and $4.7 million more than it earned from CFP distribution the past two years. The league then splits that equally among its 11 football members, meaning ASU and its brethren are set to receive about $636,000.

"It's not life-changing money," Mohajir said. "But it definitely does things that we desire in order to make our program stronger."

Benson called the expected third-place finish "a very notable achievement" and said the bowl performance, along with a record 12 games being aired on one of ESPN's networks, made it so "Sun Belt football has a solid A for 2016."

"It all worked out well, and the only thing that could have been better was to go 6-0, and we weren't that far from getting there," Benson said. "It wasn't an A+, but it was a strong A to go 4-2."

After revenue from this year's CFP is distributed, the Sun Belt will have spread about $41 million to its football-playing members since the playoff began. Mohajir said ASU has used that money to make improvements in athletic training, strength and conditioning, and nutrition.

"Every $50,000 is an opportunity to invest your services to your students," Mohajir said. "That's how we look at it."

In addition to a boost in revenue, Mohajir thinks it's a boost to the Sun Belt's perception. Thought by some as the weakest of the FBS' 10 conferences, Mohajir hopes beating teams from the AAC, the Mountain West and the MAC in the bowl season changes that.

ASU beat Central Florida of the AAC in the Cure Bowl; Idaho beat Colorado State of the Mountain West in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl; Troy beat Ohio of the MAC in the Dollar General Bowl; and Appalachian State beat Toledo of the MAC in the Camellia Bowl.

"I think it's very important, but it's something that I already knew," he said. "I had belief all along that the Sun Belt -- unless you're in a [Power Five] conference, we're at the right place at the right time."

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/.../?f=sports
01-07-2017 06:20 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee

Yes. We played the most P5 body bag games and it showed.
01-07-2017 06:27 PM
Rabonchild Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
I won't address how it's possible but I will address some of our problems (1) we are spread to far apart (2) most of us have no natural conference rivals. (3) and most of us must up grade our coaches ( a few of teams did that a few days ago).

Better coaches will attract better recruits which will equal better teams which will equal better records which will equal better rankings.
01-07-2017 07:01 PM
Advertisement

Fish Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
FIU got Ron Turner'd in OOC play and went 0-4. Then we fired him and went 4-4 in conference play. Next year will be much better with Butch.
01-07-2017 07:08 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Texas and Florida schools sucked. Same story for the most part every damn year. I'll give UTSA a pass. We could have 3 or 4 great teams and it won't matter because we'll have 7 that absolutely suck.
01-07-2017 07:16 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

There were 25 games, including bowl games, between C-USA teams and other G5 league's. C-USA won 10 and lost 15.

Wins: WKU over Miami (OH) and Memphis; OSU over UMass and Eastern Michigan; MTSU over Bowling Green; La. Tech over UMass and Navy; S. Miss over Louisiana; N. Texas over Army; and UTEP over NMSU.

Losses: App State over ODU; Hawaii over MTSU; UMass and UFC over FIU; Eastern Michigan and Temple over Charlotte; Ball State over FAU; Akron over Marshall; Troy over S. Miss; SMU and Army over N. Texas; Col. State and New Mex. over UTSA; Army over Rice; and Army over UTEP.

For a comparison, the Sun Belt had 24 games against other G5 schools and went .500 (12-12).

Wins: App State over Old Dominion, Akron, and Toledo; Ark. State over UCF; Troy over S. Miss, UMass, and Ohio; Idaho over UNLV and Col. State; S. Alabama over San Diego State; NMSU over New Mex.; and Texas State over Ohio.

Losses: Toledo and Utah State over Ark. State; Boise State, Tulane, and S. Miss over Louisiana; Western Michigan over Ga. Southern; New Mex. over ULM; Air Force over S. Alabama; Ball State and Air Force over Georgia State; UTEP over NMSU; and Houston over Texas State.

Granted, G5 vs. G5 only tells part of the story. I didn't take into account where the games were or final records of each team. I didn't include the MAC's, MWC's, or AAC's G5 vs. G5 results. Nor are results against FCS or P5 schools included. But this should still explain somewhat of why C-USA's CFP payout will be less this one year, at least, than the Sun Belt' s.

Side note: I'd have really liked to have seen App State get a crack at WMU and/or WKU this year, but not in some clunky G5 playoff.
01-07-2017 07:46 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(01-07-2017 07:16 PM)MTowho Wrote:  Texas and Florida schools sucked. Same story for the most part every damn year. I'll give UTSA a pass. We could have 3 or 4 great teams and it won't matter because we'll have 7 that absolutely suck.

Texas has 4 programs in C-USA. They can't all be winners every year. The current configuration of C-USA has been around for 4 years now. In that time Rice has been to 2 bowls, North Texas has been to 2 bowls, and UTEP & UTSA have each been to a bowl. Most of the time, Texas has half their programs in bowls. That's not bad, and it sure doesn't suck.

North Texas and UTSA both got new coaches and those programs are turning it around. Both Florida schools went out and made some big name hires. It isn't like programs aren't trying to improve things.

C-USA just needs to focus on scheduling better OOC games and winning them. As a conference we need to stop scheduling the body bag games.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 07:56 PM by Side Show Joe.)
01-07-2017 07:54 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

One conference invited football schools, one went for TV $.
01-07-2017 09:20 PM
Advertisement

Eagle9 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
Too many body bag games. But we need the money. So what do you do ?
01-07-2017 11:14 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-07-2017 09:20 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  One conference invited football schools, one went for TV $.

Except that in addition to taking Georgia State, the Sun Belt also offered invitations to Charlotte and UTSA, and Benson also considered Old Dominion and San Jose State, among many other schools, as expansion candidates. Plus the Sun Belt was the conference to bring FIU, FAU and North Texas to FBS in the first place.

I don't know where this whole "the Sun Belt made the principled decision to focus on adding historically good football schools instead of pandering to TV markets" meme came from or how it's become settled history to so many people, but the truth is more complex than that.
01-08-2017 12:55 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
Stop getting so bent out of shape over this. The Sun Belt was never as bad as many of you make them out to be, nor are we as good as some in our conference always seem to think we are. These things are cyclical on the G5 landscape and it's ridiculous how we wrap ourselves in a King's cloak one year when we have the best record against other G5 conferences, and think the sky is falling when we end up on the other side. If there's one thing sports social media sites are good for, it's blowing things out of proportion.
01-08-2017 01:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

(01-08-2017 12:55 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 09:20 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  One conference invited football schools, one went for TV $.

Except that in addition to taking Georgia State, the Sun Belt also offered invitations to Charlotte and UTSA, and Benson also considered Old Dominion and San Jose State, among many other schools, as expansion candidates. Plus the Sun Belt was the conference to bring FIU, FAU and North Texas to FBS in the first place.

I don't know where this whole "the Sun Belt made the principled decision to focus on adding historically good football schools instead of pandering to TV markets" meme came from or how it's become settled history to so many people, but the truth is more complex than that.

Well said 04-cheers
01-08-2017 01:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.