Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The XFL and AAF
Bookmark and Share
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
Exclamation The XFL and AAF
Anyone else catch the new ESPN 30 for 30?

Been a few years since the USFL 30 for 30, probably my favorite 30 for 30. Though that one evokes a whole new set of sad emotions nowadays...

I wasn't alive for the USFL, and was too young and didnt care for football at all when the XFL showed up. The WFL. The CFL US expansions. NFL Europe. The New USFL and A11FL, neither of which ever got off the ground. The UFL (this one I paid attention to). I've been fascinated with the thought of a secondary pro football league, and the leagues that have attempted it.

I personally really enjoyed the documentary. Bob Costas is a smug, arrogant, prick though. He also embodies the thought process of some football fans that I'll never understand: disliking MORE football.

The XFL was a bit over the top, but I think given some time could've produced a decent spring product. If only they had put some gas in the generator...

I think the USFL had a better shot at a longer lasting more traditional spring product... but... you know.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2018 08:41 AM by The T-Shirt.)
02-03-2017 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: The XFL
Well if NBC had not put the XFL in primetime, and the NFL not sabotaged the LA broadcast I think we would still have an XFL today. The XFL was not ready for prime time, and Vince's plan never included a prime time slot. I think the product would have greatly improved. It would never be at the NFL's level, but there are enough college kids who go undrafted, or get cut in training camp that a 2nd football league could be a very watchable product in America.

02-03-2017 09:18 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I watched it. As far as 30 for 30s go I found this to be one of the less interesting ones. I do think given this country's love of football there's a market for a developmental league and the idea of making it entertainment oriented makes sense. But to treat it like wrestling is taking it too far. I think they had some innovative ideas but the football product was thrown together at the last minute. I think a May-August league that gives an opportunity to guys who've been out of the league and guys who were undrafted would have a market if done right.

02-03-2017 09:20 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
Hehateme

02-03-2017 11:02 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Greatest jersey ever

02-03-2017 11:36 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
I'll have to watch it this weekend. I do think the XFL had some great ideas (cameras on field, etc), but ultimately they decided to get too much like wrestling in the presentation. A couple more years where the guys could gel may have made a huge difference on the field. Tommy Maddox got another shot and a decent career in the NFL thanks to that league though.

02-03-2017 11:39 AM
Advertisement

Banter Offline
1st String

(02-03-2017 11:39 AM)mlb Wrote:  I'll have to watch it this weekend. I do think the XFL had some great ideas (cameras on field, etc), but ultimately they decided to get too much like wrestling in the presentation. A couple more years where the guys could gel may have made a huge difference on the field. Tommy Maddox got another shot and a decent career in the NFL thanks to that league though.

Having more years would have changed things a lot. I feel like they were just a couple years too early in some respects. Seems like there was a bigger boom in college football where there was a lot more talent. The XFL got a lot of people who had been out of the game, but it seems with all the guys that don't get drafted now could make for a good product.

As a big wrestling fan, I loved some of the wrestling presentation of the XFL.

02-03-2017 11:57 AM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
Saw it, my fave 30 for 30 Catholics vs. Convicts

02-03-2017 12:23 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
Bo Jackson was good too.

02-03-2017 12:38 PM
cincy11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Sun
I've really enjoyed most of them but think my favorite is "The Best There Never Was". It's the story of Marcus Dupree, which I knew nothing about. He was so talented & good.

02-04-2017 09:23 AM
ThinkBigPine Offline
Dilly Dilly

(02-03-2017 11:39 AM)mlb Wrote:  I'll have to watch it this weekend. I do think the XFL had some great ideas (cameras on field, etc), but ultimately they decided to get too much like wrestling in the presentation. A couple more years where the guys could gel may have made a huge difference on the field. Tommy Maddox got another shot and a decent career in the NFL thanks to that league though.

Watch the documentary, they went resorted to wrestling antics as a last ditch effort for ratings.

02-05-2017 03:15 PM
Advertisement

ThinkBigPine Offline
Dilly Dilly

(02-03-2017 09:18 AM)Banter Wrote:  Well if NBC had not put the XFL in primetime, and the NFL not sabotaged the LA broadcast I think we would still have an XFL today. The XFL was not ready for prime time, and Vince's plan never included a prime time slot. I think the product would have greatly improved. It would never be at the NFL's level, but there are enough college kids who go undrafted, or get cut in training camp that a 2nd football league could be a very watchable product in America.

Definitely think that the NFL sabotaged that LA game.

02-05-2017 03:17 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
More football is always better. When college football is gone and done I like that I only have to wait 4-6 weeks after college basketball ends before I have Arena Football and some college baseball to watch. Then another 4-6 weeks in I pick up the CFL which is my favorite non-NCAA football to watch. As for the NFL? Don't watch a single game. Not even the Super Bowl.

02-05-2017 03:31 PM
The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/...7891090432

BREAKING: @VinceMcMahon will announce later today that his investment company @alphaentllc will start a pro football league. Announcement will be made at 3pm ET on company’s social media pages.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2018 10:41 AM by The T-Shirt.)
01-25-2018 10:40 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

As someone who probably watches more wrestling than actual sports these days... Vince isn’t dumb. He’s not bringing the same product back. It will be a league that hits on what the NFL lacks in.

01-25-2018 01:06 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(01-25-2018 01:06 PM)Banter Wrote:  As someone who probably watches more wrestling than actual sports these days... Vince isn’t dumb. He’s not bringing the same product back. It will be a league that hits on what the NFL lacks in.

So every team's colors will be red, white, and blue, and every offensive play will have receivers crossing the middle of the field with targets on their heads 03-lmfao

01-25-2018 02:31 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I want He Hate Me to be a head coach.

01-25-2018 03:02 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
I'll be happy to have football to watch in the spring and early summer. After the NCAA tourney is over I go into sports hibernation for a while. I like the Red but I get bored watching it very quickly.

01-25-2018 03:23 PM
Banter Offline
1st String

Details

*Main thing is they want to listen to fans, players and coaches. *
8 Teams

No Franchise Model

No Cities yet

Not apart of WWE

Start time 2020: Late January/February

Vince will stay in control of WWE as well. Won't be out front in XFL

Wants to make it as safe as possible via bringing in experts

Mentions it being stream friendly on phones etc

Says XFL will have nothing to do with Politics.

Says National Anthem is a time honored tradition, very vague on the treatment and enforcement on said rules

There may not be a halftime

Vince says watching a 3 3 1/2 hour game is a lot, wants to get to 2 hours

Vince says they did have some thoughts about not naming it the XFl but kept it due to it being cool

Not sure about the nick names on the back of the jerseys, Says he loved he hate me and will allow fans to kind of decide

says he would want people to stand for the Anthem

Thinks team names will be all new unless fans really want the older names

Things like DUI will get you banned

Rules not laid in place but will be before anyone signs on

No cross over with Wrestling commentators and Football commentators

He will take a back seat and will hire professionals to help out.

01-25-2018 03:32 PM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
The 2 hour gametime is an interesting idea. A lot of dead time during football broadcast...if they could just integrate ads during the broadcast they probably could really condense gametime. Get rid of commercials, have clock running more often (maybe except for last 5 minutes of half..etc).

01-25-2018 04:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.